webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Galaxy Nexus webOS Ports preAlpha release
Galaxy Nexus webOS Ports preAlpha release
Like Tree20Likes

Old 10/07/2012, 10:40 AM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Just because you want something to be possible doesn't actually make it possible or practical.

Sure you can make a modular phone. It will be more than twice as thick as a Pre. Such things already exist - but I certainly wouldn't want to carry one in my pocket.

-- Rod
Thanks, just a thought after hearing all this moaning about no cdma ports. So when they say verizon unlocked iphone what does this mean? Where could one activate such a phone, Sprint? or does this mean that LTE is a radically different technology.

Like I heard that verizon claims with LTE it will be now possible to talk and browse at the same time, is it still not a cdma phone
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2012, 10:44 AM   #82 (permalink)

It just means that it's a Verizon branded iPhone, that's unlocked so you can use it on any carrier.
Old 10/07/2012, 12:28 PM   #83 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
I have seen a bunch of tutorials about putting the coil in the back of the Galaxy Nexus. HAs anyone got it to work without the magnets in the back? Not sure if putting them in the phone has other implications unknown to most? Also I take it that if you have a case on the phone that you would need to put the most in the back of the case instead of the phone for it to actually charge.

Can anyone shed light on this subject?
It's probably easier to go with a standalone inductive charging system where you add a sleeve or skin to the phone or attach a small patch... There are several makers/brands out there and you would have an easier time maintaining the system for use if you switched phones. It adds a little bulk, but requires no physical modding of the phone.

Amazon.com: charger mat: Electronics

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2012, 04:01 PM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotovef View Post
Thank you Rod for giving me an answer.
Not fair! A guy pasted you Rod's comment from another tread. Btw, you could thank this fellow for answering you.
Old 10/07/2012, 04:06 PM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
It just means that it's a Verizon branded iPhone, that's unlocked so you can use it on any carrier.
Is it a gsm or cdma phone? I mean I couldn't use my unlocked Pre2 on sprint
Old 10/07/2012, 04:12 PM   #86 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Is it a gsm or cdma phone? I mean I couldn't use my unlocked Pre2 on sprint
Google 'iphone 5 unlocked GSM cdma' for more details.

-- Rod
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2012, 08:19 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Google 'iphone 5 unlocked GSM cdma' for more details.

-- Rod
Thanks
Old 10/07/2012, 08:43 PM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
Not fair! A guy pasted you Rod's comment from another tread. Btw, you could thank this fellow for answering you.
NHL lockout isn't fair, that's just an oversight
Old 10/08/2012, 11:46 AM   #89 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
We are using the unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus bought directly from Google Play store. Any unlocked GSM version should do. I don't have the latest info about 3G support - check the WebOS Ports wiki for latest status.

If you are absolutely relying on this thing working, you should not purchase based on current state. If you intend on being part of the development team, then be aware of the issues before purchase. If you're a serious embedded developer who is likely to contribute, make yourself known in the IRC channel and if you qualify we'll purchase a device for you using the proceeds of the Webathon.

-- Rod

That's good to hear, hoping some good folks get on board and help move this project forward.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2012, 11:58 AM   #90 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Not any carrier, still wouldn't be able to activate on Sprint.... I have heard of some regional CDMA carriers doing a "bring your own phone".
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...

Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 10/11/2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: realized I didn't have the word "regional" in there
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2012, 02:00 AM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
The unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus was not chosen for its physical characteristics or aesthetics. It's basically one of the very few devices to which porting Open webOS is feasible in the short term.
You mean there are other commercially available mobile phones out there that would be adequate? Should I search for any TI OMAP based?

I've been also talking about this with my brother, who knows a thing or two about embedded and mobile development, and he told me it's all the merits of Texas Instruments ("TI"), a blessing that is not precisely an ordinary thing in this market:

Quote:
Originally posted by fmarcos
The good thing about Texas is that it's exactly opposite to Qualcomm... Qualcomm's technical documentation is an object of desire, hyperprotected, etc. Many manufacturers, such as Marvell, Qualcomm, Broadcom, just hand out documentation to "fat" OEMs. Texas, in the other hand, gives everything "free, for nothing, with demo precompiled binaries, source code... AND FREE OF CHARGE. And they support WindowsCE and Linux". Suck that.
Broadcom's event was fun... We wanted to evaluate one of their processors (ARM), and compare it to the Cirrus EP9315. They wouldn't give us the datasheets. If you wanted (partial!) information, you must buy the evaluation board: 9000 euros. "Yes, but it includes direct online support from the manufacturer", "alright, but we just want to know if it could be OF ANY USE for us!". No comment.
Quote:
So what people actually think of the device itself is not really relevant to the project.
I actually like this phrase. It shows honesty, as expected.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2012, 03:41 AM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
You mean there are other commercially available mobile phones out there that would be adequate? Should I search for any TI OMAP based?
Just to chime in - if you're looking for a new phone to run Open webOS on, the Galaxy Nexus is currently your best bet, even if the port is not yet usable (at least there is a port in the works) - I would not spend money on a phone with just the faint hope that maybe there will be a port for it, TI chipset or not.
And I want to take this opportunity to say a big and sincere Thank You to the whole webOS ports team
johnnygewitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2012, 04:20 AM   #93 (permalink)

Alright, saw that second video, with the new virtual gesture area in action. Pity OpenWebOS raises from the codebase of webOS 3, which was born without a gesture area in mind.

What worried me is that it still showed that glacial rendering speed. Perhaps there's zero hardware acceleration still, but hey, it was also missing a basic optimization: When you have to move something 300 pixels away, you can think that you have to paint 300 times. But, if that movement has to get done in half a second, then it's TEN times less.

Why does OpenWebOS redraw every single frame? All modern rendering pipes take into account a real time clock, by which they drop redraws that wouldn't make it in time.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2012, 04:39 PM   #94 (permalink)

It feels so good to have the feeling that webOS revives.

I am aware that this question may totally disqualify myself but where do I find the webos-image after building it for the gnex device?

Any help is very appreciated.
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2012, 06:03 PM   #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
What worried me is that it still showed that glacial rendering speed. Perhaps there's zero hardware acceleration still, but hey, it was also missing a basic optimization: When you have to move something 300 pixels away, you can think that you have to paint 300 times. But, if that movement has to get done in half a second, then it's TEN times less.

Why does OpenWebOS redraw every single frame? All modern rendering pipes take into account a real time clock, by which they drop redraws that wouldn't make it in time.
I noticed that launcher rendering is much faster than open card's redraw speed.
Old 10/12/2012, 02:26 AM   #96 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe View Post
It feels so good to have the feeling that webOS revives.

I am aware that this question may totally disqualify myself but where do I find the webos-image after building it for the gnex device?

Any help is very appreciated.
This question regularly gets asked, even by smart people...
it is in tmp-eglic/deploy/images/tuna.

Quote:
I noticed that launcher rendering is much faster than open card's redraw speed.
The launcher part and device menu is hardware rendered and works quite fluidly... the card management is software rendered and is a pain. People currently are trying to get it right, so that everything gets hardware rendered... might still take some time.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 10/15/2012, 01:57 AM   #97 (permalink)

Thanks a lot, Garfonso! Now the question remains which of these files I need to flash and how is it done? I searched for some standard flash tutorials but it seems it works different for custom android roms.
Old 10/15/2012, 04:21 AM   #98 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

It's not ready for a broader audience, yet, sorry.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2012, 08:31 AM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
It's not ready for a broader audience, yet, sorry.
No problem. Thanks anyway!
Old 10/19/2012, 07:27 PM   #100 (permalink)

Does the Nexus phone have to be fully unlocked to work with webos?
or can I buy say a Fido Nexus phone and use that to help out with webos?

Thanks in advance.

hoping to join webos again in the near future once it's stable.
Greg Mair is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0