webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Galaxy Nexus webOS Ports preAlpha release
Galaxy Nexus webOS Ports preAlpha release
  Reply
Like Tree20Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10/06/2012, 01:26 PM   #61 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 370
optional is always a good choice

i just can imagine to stop navigating in apps without the gesture area...
its one of those things that im dissapointed of in webOS 3.X.
i really love how webos 2.x looks and controls on my phone, imo its the perfect OS. Sure my pre3 is full of bugs and if i could i would change a few stuff in the system apps but even with what i have and all the apps missing its the best experience for me.

It sucks that there is no CE for 2.X... and i hope openWebOS will get a 2.X makeover for the phones..
Sonic-NKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2012, 01:32 PM   #62 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
I don't get all this excitement about porting webos to these galaxy phones. None of them feel good in my hand, they are basically two hand phones.

Lets see: no Gesture area, no touchstone, and most importantly no physical keyboard... I assume they could do something like the touchpad to swipe in from the edges to go back and also implement the up swipe somehow.
i know what you feel, the pre3 is imo the perfect phone size for me all those new 4" plus device dont feel that good for me and i have big hands. I have tried them.. they really are made for two hand input, i cant use them in a way as i use my pre with gestures..

I can live without a physical keyboard i guess, if its done good and there touchstone support isnt that hard to add.

But i hope my pre3 and girlfriends Veer work as long as possible.
Sonic-NKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2012, 01:48 PM   #63 (permalink)
Moderator

 
sledge007's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,337
They can be modded for Touchstones, all you have to do is remove the coil from any unused phone and install it. Do a little search (on the web) and there are several threads on how to do it.

You need a little more practice than 15 minutes in the store to text one handed (or anything else for that matter), but it is totally possible. I do it all the time. A case certainly helps with how slim and slippery they are.

I'll agree....it isn't webOS....but I got over it pretty quickly.
__________________
Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2012, 02:25 PM   #64 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Posts: 3,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
I don't get all this excitement about porting webos to these galaxy phones. None of them feel good in my hand, they are basically two hand phones.

Lets see: no Gesture area, no touchstone, and most importantly no physical keyboard... I assume they could do something like the touchpad to swipe in from the edges to go back and also implement the up swipe somehow.
There is a "Virtual Gesture Area" that is installed with the Desktop build, that I would pretty much expect would be possible to operate on other hardware. And yes, the edge swipes should work as is, if the touchpanel is picking things up properly.
__________________
Author:
Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2012, 05:06 PM   #65 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 213
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the history behind why CDMA is so closed compared to GSM?
intron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2012, 06:48 PM   #66 (permalink)
Developer
 
rwhitby's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by intron View Post
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the history behind why CDMA is so closed compared to GSM?
Because it was developed by and for US companies in a duopoly market with no regulations requiring interoperability or portability of devices between carriers.

GSM was designed for global roaming of devices by swapping SIMs.

-- Rod
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2012, 08:41 PM   #67 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Because it was developed by and for US companies in a duopoly market with no regulations requiring interoperability or portability of devices between carriers.

GSM was designed for global roaming of devices by swapping SIMs.

-- Rod

Makes sense. Unfortunately.

Thanks for the history lesson.

Well, I can't afford to leave Sprint so I guess I need to go get another pre2 for when this one dies. <sigh>
intron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2012, 01:19 AM   #68 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotovef View Post
I'm big webOS fan. Should I order the Galaxy Nexus [to see the progress of Open webOS and test it by myself] or wait a bit?
Can I help anything in it's development?
Thank you Rod for giving me an answer.
Pilotovef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2012, 02:42 AM   #69 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Because it was developed by and for US companies in a duopoly market with no regulations requiring interoperability or portability of devices between carriers.

GSM was designed for global roaming of devices by swapping SIMs.

-- Rod
In my country... the CDMA network was quickly scrapped by the telco, because - of competition. The number of GSM vs CDMA phones, the amount of R&D put into GSM vs CDMA just didn't make sense to them. I still do not understand why the government in US allows CDMA to exist - it's anti competitive (u cannot switch networks) thus in some areas where CDMA signals are strong compared to GSM, it's possible for the telco to up their prices...

Back to webos ports, understand the situation. HP has pretty much 'jumped ship' and left the OS to it's devices without any so called support. It is sad to see the Webos reach this stage, but hopefully some company (akin to redhat) can see the some business advantage in taking up openOs and make it into a feasible competing mobile OS even if it's for limited number of mobile phone brands /models.
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2012, 06:13 AM   #70 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
I don't get all this excitement about porting webos to these galaxy phones. None of them feel good in my hand, they are basically two hand phones.

Lets see: no Gesture area, no touchstone, and most importantly no physical keyboard... I assume they could do something like the touchpad to swipe in from the edges to go back and also implement the up swipe somehow.
call it the first step beyond a mere proof of concept, maybe pre users may not llike or want it but think of a new influx of dev devices which can be bought without extortionate prices on ebay.

its still a good thing even if we don't like to use that type of device.
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2012, 07:52 AM   #71 (permalink)
Member
 
laingman's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,526
I was wondering. Since one phone doesn't fit all, how come its not possible or has never been tried to build your own phone. My friend is buying a jeep under the build you own option, one can build your own computers, why not phones?
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2012, 08:00 AM   #72 (permalink)
Member
 
laingman's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
call it the first step beyond a mere proof of concept, maybe pre users may not llike or want it but think of a new influx of dev devices which can be bought without extortionate prices on ebay.

its still a good thing even if we don't like to use that type of device.
I see what you saying and I was genuinely excited to see what the ports team was able to do in such a short time.

But to hear the folks around here tell it the galaxy series is just the most awesome hardware ever made, and I have never seen anyone besides myself say that they don't care for them.

Way too wide and thin for me
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2012, 08:12 AM   #73 (permalink)
Developer
 
rwhitby's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
I was wondering. Since one phone doesn't fit all, how come its not possible or has never been tried to build your own phone. My friend is buying a jeep under the build you own option, one can build your own computers, why not phones?
Take a look at any iFixit phone teardown, and the reasons will be clear.

-- Rod
__________________
WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
All donations go back into development.
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2012, 08:15 AM   #74 (permalink)
Developer
 
rwhitby's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
I see what you saying and I was genuinely excited to see what the ports team was able to do in such a short time.

But to hear the folks around here tell it the galaxy series is just the most awesome hardware ever made, and I have never seen anyone besides myself say that they don't care for them.

Way too wide and thin for me
The unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus was not chosen for its physical characteristics or aesthetics.

It's basically one of the very few devices to which porting Open webOS is feasible in the short term.

So what people actually think of the device itself is not really relevant to the project.

-- Rod
__________________
WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
All donations go back into development.
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals

Last edited by rwhitby; 10/07/2012 at 08:41 AM.
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by jcmarcos likes this.
Thanked by jcmarcos, siggi_digital
Old 10/07/2012, 08:31 AM   #75 (permalink)
Member
 
johncc's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,192
Is the Nexus S likely to be as suitable\unsuitable as the Nexus? I have one of those floating around.


EDIT: Just saw a tweet and photo of Open webOS on one so I guess the answer is yes. :-)
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2012, 09:06 AM   #76 (permalink)
Member
 
laingman's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Take a look at any iFixit phone teardown, and the reasons will be clear.

-- Rod
Respectfully disagree. I think its because its never been attempted to my knowledge. Doesn't the story go that Henry Ford started to lose it a little when his competition started offering options instead of all the same cheap as possible way.

So one can have a car with automatic or not but not a phone with physical keyboard or not? Choose your differentials etc, but there couldn't be some manufacturer who could make a phone chasis or two so that different options would be possible? Maybe I don't need a camera but I want sd card. Webos or android ...
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2012, 09:17 AM   #77 (permalink)
Developer
 
rwhitby's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Respectfully disagree. I think its because its never been attempted to my knowledge. Doesn't the story go that Henry Ford started to lose it a little when his competition started offering options instead of all the same cheap as possible way.

So one can have a car with automatic or not but not a phone with physical keyboard or not? Choose your differentials etc, but there couldn't be some manufacturer who could make a phone chasis or two so that different options would be possible? Maybe I don't need a camera but I want sd card. Webos or android ...
Just because you want something to be possible doesn't actually make it possible or practical.

Sure you can make a modular phone. It will be more than twice as thick as a Pre. Such things already exist - but I certainly wouldn't want to carry one in my pocket.

-- Rod
__________________
WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
All donations go back into development.
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2012, 09:58 AM   #78 (permalink)
Member
 
DJeremyC's Avatar
 
Posts: 744
I have seen a bunch of tutorials about putting the coil in the back of the Galaxy Nexus. HAs anyone got it to work without the magnets in the back? Not sure if putting them in the phone has other implications unknown to most? Also I take it that if you have a case on the phone that you would need to put the most in the back of the case instead of the phone for it to actually charge.

Can anyone shed light on this subject?
__________________


Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
DJeremyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2012, 10:31 AM   #79 (permalink)
Member
 
laingman's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
I have seen a bunch of tutorials about putting the coil in the back of the Galaxy Nexus. HAs anyone got it to work without the magnets in the back? Not sure if putting them in the phone has other implications unknown to most? Also I take it that if you have a case on the phone that you would need to put the most in the back of the case instead of the phone for it to actually charge.

Can anyone shed light on this subject?
There is also the new nokia wireless charger coming out, not sure if its the same technology tho
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2012, 10:36 AM   #80 (permalink)
Moderator

 
sledge007's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
I have seen a bunch of tutorials about putting the coil in the back of the Galaxy Nexus. HAs anyone got it to work without the magnets in the back? Not sure if putting them in the phone has other implications unknown to most? Also I take it that if you have a case on the phone that you would need to put the most in the back of the case instead of the phone for it to actually charge.

Can anyone shed light on this subject?
You might be able to get away with it with one of those real slim cases, but anything with any bulk, ie Otterbox, I would think it isn't possible.
__________________
Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0