webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Galaxy Nexus webOS Ports preAlpha release
Galaxy Nexus webOS Ports preAlpha release
Like Tree20Likes

Old 10/05/2012, 08:52 PM   #41 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggi_digital View Post
is it possible to port the UI from webOS to android? so you don't have to port the drivers?

Gesendet von meinem Galaxy Nexus mit Tapatalk 2
Maybe (but extremely difficult) and the multitasking would not work.

-- Rod
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 09:17 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
GSM drivers have been reverse engineered by folks in Europe, and open drivers written.

Just forget about CDMA, it is not going to happen, as it is hostile to open development.

-- Rod
No, no. Please tell me it ain't so. Lol. That just means i just joined the "WebOS is dead" crowd and future IPhone user all in one day. This is a depessing day.. Someone wake me up from this nightmare.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 10:36 PM   #43 (permalink)
Banned

It's more or less reality, and it'll drive people to a decision as to whether they want to support webOS with Open webOS on a phone it can realistically be ported to or stick to supporting it on their tablets while they move on to more modern phones that enjoy LTE and/or CDMA support.

Simply put, drivers for wireless bands (like Rod said) need to be created specifically for webOS, and in turn that creates a need to pay licensing fees, etc. All of that is assuming those entities qualified to write the drivers would even be willing to do so in the first place (exceedingly unlikely).

The chances of that happening are incredibly small at this point, which is why the likelihood for the ongoing survival of Open webOS on everyday devices--I'm not talking about hobbyist proofs of concept like Raspberry Pi support, either--lies almost completely with tablets and, to a much lesser extent, a very carefully thought through selection of phones for which actual GSM drivers can be obtained.

If those parameters aren't for you or you don't want to switch carriers to one that can support a possible Open webOS port, then your choice is actually quite simple.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 10:45 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
No, no. Please tell me it ain't so. Lol. That just means i just joined the "WebOS is dead" crowd and future IPhone user all in one day. This is a depessing day.. Someone wake me up from this nightmare.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Yeah, this is horrible news. I've been a webOS cheerleader for 3 long years. I was very happy when HP decided to make the OS open source. I thought maybe now I can finally run webOS on new phone hardware only to find out that it won't work on Sprint (my cellular provider) and Verizon, the number 1 cellular provider in the United States. Hey I like GSM and have no problem with it on a technical level, but AT&T and T-Mobile don't work were I live or work. There are no GSM towers nearby and AT&T refuses to put up more. It's this way in many rural areas in the United States. Open webOS not working on CDMA equals it not working on Sprint and Verizon making it a major failure in my book.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 10:57 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
GSM drivers have been reverse engineered by folks in Europe, and open drivers written.

Just forget about CDMA, it is not going to happen, as it is hostile to open development.

-- Rod
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo! :'(

Guess that means I have to survive for as long as possible with my Sprint Pre, and possible FrankenPre2. But I think they are going to kick me off of the Exchange server after the first of the year anyway, so my future with a webOS daily driver may end before my phone quits, or I have to start carrying two phones again.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 10:58 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
It's more or less reality, and it'll drive people to a decision as to whether they want to support webOS with Open webOS on a phone it can realistically be ported to or stick to supporting it on their tablets while they move on to more modern phones that enjoy LTE and/or CDMA support.

Simply put, drivers for wireless bands (like Rod said) need to be created specifically for webOS, and in turn that creates a need to pay licensing fees, etc. All of that is assuming those entities qualified to write the drivers would even be willing to do so in the first place (exceedingly unlikely).

The chances of that happening are incredibly small at this point, which is why the likelihood for the ongoing survival of Open webOS on everyday devices--I'm not talking about hobbyist proofs of concept like Raspberry Pi support, either--lies almost completely with tablets and, to a much lesser extent, a very carefully thought through selection of phones for which actual GSM drivers can be obtained.

If those parameters aren't for you or you don't want to switch carriers to one that can support a possible Open webOS port, then your choice is actually quite simple.
So our choice is to leave an OS that we have love and defended for three years because, for most of us, switching to a GSM carrier is either undesirable or unavailable? Really? Why design an OS that won't run on the number one cellular carrier in the United States? Why design an OS that won't run on the carrier this all started on? I know this is not webOS internals fault. IMO HP SCREWED UP ROYALLY ON THIS! This makes open webOS a non-starter for a vast majority of loyal webOS users. They need to fix this! They need to cough up some money for licensing these drivers.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 11:01 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Forget about Open webOS on a CDMA device. No drivers available for the radio.

-- Rod

I respect Rod's opinion, as there are no current open source cdma drivers, nobody knows what the future holds, Never is a harsh word. Future devices and drivers are unknown... Hope is to dream, dreams sometime come true, sometimes they stay a dream...
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 11:03 PM   #48 (permalink)

Well, I don't know if we really represent the vast majority.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 11:30 PM   #49 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
I respect Rod's opinion, as there are no current open source cdma drivers, nobody knows what the future holds, Never is a harsh word. Future devices and drivers are unknown... Hope is to dream, dreams sometime come true, sometimes they stay a dream...
You are correct. Some people will continue to hope for an open source CDMA driver to come from somewhere. I am not one of those people. Anything is possible, but not everything is within the realms of probability.

It is also possible that someone will work out how to put webOS on top of Android. I probably rate that as more likely than CDMA drivers for webOS appearing. Think of it as 1 in a million chance versus 1 in a billion.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Old 10/05/2012, 11:34 PM   #50 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
So our choice is to leave an OS that we have love and defended for three years because, for most of us, switching to a GSM carrier is either undesirable or unavailable? Really? Why design an OS that won't run on the number one cellular carrier in the United States? Why design an OS that won't run on the carrier this all started on? I know this is not webOS internals fault. IMO HP SCREWED UP ROYALLY ON THIS! This makes open webOS a non-starter for a vast majority of loyal webOS users. They need to fix this! They need to cough up some money for licensing these drivers.
You seem to have the wrong perception of HP's plans.

HP have no published plans to port webOS to a hardware device of any kind. None. Nada. Nix.

This has been the case for the last six months or more. Why do you think it would change now, especially with HP loosing money hand over fist in every other area of their business?

Do not look to HP for getting webOS on devices. It's not gonna happen.

-- Rod
Old 10/05/2012, 11:39 PM   #51 (permalink)

so what's the point of the ports then? Freestyling/hobbying?
hpsalesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 11:58 PM   #52 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpsalesguy View Post
so what's the point of the ports then? Freestyling/hobbying?
Same as it always has been - documented on http://webos-ports.org/wiki/Main_Page:

"Moving forward to well-documented mobile devices with readily available hardware drivers using the Open webOS 1.0 release."

This is the charter of WebOS Ports, a volunteer organisation completely unrelated and separate from the company called HP.

HP has no published plans for webOS on any hardware device of any kind. HP has released Open webOS 1.0, and continues to maintain it. Note that it does not contain hardware drivers.

WebOS Ports has a published plan to port Open webOS to well-documented mobile devices with readily available hardware drivers, the first of which is the Samsung GSM Galaxy Nexus.

I don't see where the confusion lies?

-- Rod
Old 10/06/2012, 12:46 AM   #53 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Rod can you please confirm it's the i9250? There seem to be various Nexus phones out with different model mumbers.... When you get GSM working would that include 3G and or 4G when possible? Or are the drivers for this also not available?
Old 10/06/2012, 12:58 AM   #54 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Rod can you please confirm it's the i9250? There seem to be various Nexus phones out with different model mumbers.... When you get GSM working would that include 3G and or 4G when possible? Or are the drivers for this also not available?
We are using the unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus bought directly from Google Play store. Any unlocked GSM version should do. I don't have the latest info about 3G support - check the WebOS Ports wiki for latest status.

If you are absolutely relying on this thing working, you should not purchase based on current state. If you intend on being part of the development team, then be aware of the issues before purchase. If you're a serious embedded developer who is likely to contribute, make yourself known in the IRC channel and if you qualify we'll purchase a device for you using the proceeds of the Webathon.

-- Rod
Old 10/06/2012, 03:43 AM   #55 (permalink)

Rod, thirst of all sorry for my English.
I'm big webOS fan. Should I order the Galaxy Nexus [to see the progress of Open webOS and test it by myself] or wait a bit?
Can I help anything in it's development?

Last edited by Pilotovef; 10/06/2012 at 04:22 AM.
Pilotovef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2012, 05:07 AM   #56 (permalink)

Ok, a few points here /engage rant mode

CDMA support - There are no drivers available from the community, and the manufacturers are very closed about them so reverse engineering an open source version is extremely unlikely. This has nothing to do with HP, it's the people making the chipsets. As a side note, the vast majority of the world runs on GSM networks.

/end rant mode

Advice for people wishing to buy a GNex to support this, I look at it this way - Will I be getting a Gnex? Not any time soon no, because this is still very early stage stuff and I'm a) not brave enough to accept the higher risk of bricking a device, and b) I don't have the technical skills required for this stage. If you're happy to accept the higher risk of bricking the phone n have the technical ability to get in and play then I would suggest discussing it with the Ports team over on the IRC channel to see if/what you can do.

For the rest of us, sit back, relax, and wait for updates till the time comes when we feel comfortable enough, on a technical level, to join in.
Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
webOSnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 10/06/2012, 09:24 AM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotovef View Post
Rod, thirst of all sorry for my English.
I'm big webOS fan. Should I order the Galaxy Nexus [to see the progress of Open webOS and test it by myself] or wait a bit?
Can I help anything in it's development?
@Pilotovef .. I know you directed this at Rod, but as he has already answered your question in the post above yours, I thought I'd jump in and respond to you so he doesn't have to (I'm pretty certain he is flat out!) ..

So to answer you questions:
1) If you want to see the latest port progress, check out the webOS Ports Galaxy Nexus wiki for the latest updates (Link

2) If you are a:

>> End-user (not developer), do not purchase the Galaxy Nexus in the hopes of Open webOS one day, running butter-smooth and stable enough as a daily driver. It will happen eventually because these guys are talented and I have faith, but it will take time .. and we won't know how long it will take, because these guys are doing all this in their spare time

3) Developer and believe you can contribute, contact webOS Ports on IRC irc://irc.freenode.net/webos-ports or tweet them @webosports so you can link in with them and see how you can best help!

Hope this helps you!

Quote:
...check the WebOS Ports wiki for latest status.

If you are absolutely relying on this thing working, you should not purchase based on current state. If you intend on being part of the development team, then be aware of the issues before purchase. If you're a serious embedded developer who is likely to contribute, make yourself known in the IRC channel and if you qualify we'll purchase a device for you using the proceeds of the Webathon.

-- Rod

Work mobes: Palm Treo 650 > Palm Treo Pro > O2 Palm Pre- > Palm Pixi+ > Pre 2 > Pre 3
Home mobes: Sony Ericsson K610 > Sony Ericsson W910 > iPhone 3GS > Verizon GSMed FrankenPre+ > HTC Desire HD > HTC Evo 3D > White HTC Sensation XE
Tablet: HP TouchPad 32GB / ASUS TF101

dr3wster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2012, 12:42 PM   #58 (permalink)

I know the gesture area is history since 3.X but for me its one of the major things that made my pre and make pre3 awesome. Imo the best control for mobilphone size device.

the nexus doesnt have a gesture area of course, but wouldnt it be possible to reduce the ui a few pixels and create a virtual gesture area below it (like what is done with android phones with no hardware buttons)

yes i know the port is still prealpha, but this would be the little addition to make me want a new phone with webos.

Last edited by Sonic-NKT; 10/06/2012 at 12:54 PM.
Sonic-NKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2012, 01:15 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic-NKT View Post
I know the gesture area is history since 3.X but for me its one of the major things that made my pre and make pre3 awesome. Imo the best control for mobilphone size device.

the nexus doesnt have a gesture area of course, but wouldnt it be possible to reduce the ui a few pixels and create a virtual gesture area below it (like what is done with android phones with no hardware buttons)

yes i know the port is still prealpha, but this would be the little addition to make me want a new phone with webos.
we dont use a swipe down from top of screen for anything afaik on 3.0.x maybe that could bring up a virtual gesture area when/if ever required?
Old 10/06/2012, 01:25 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic-NKT View Post

I don't get all this excitement about porting webos to these galaxy phones. None of them feel good in my hand, they are basically two hand phones.

Lets see: no Gesture area, no touchstone, and most importantly no physical keyboard... I assume they could do something like the touchpad to swipe in from the edges to go back and also implement the up swipe somehow.
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0