webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Galaxy Nexus webOS Ports preAlpha release
Galaxy Nexus webOS Ports preAlpha release
Like Tree20Likes

Old 10/05/2012, 09:54 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Forget about Open webOS on a CDMA device. No drivers available for the radio.

-- Rod
That bit if news, I guess, is the straw that breaks the backs of the Pre- <-->FrankenPre2 crowd.
JohnKern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 09:56 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:

-- Rod
Yikes, so no Open webOS on Sprint or Verizon, period? Well, I guess unless Phoenix vaporphone runs on those networks? Oh reality, how you love to build up my dreams before you crush them
jcerwinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 12:27 PM   #23 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
If you buy a note what happens when you get a phone call?
As he said, cover my face....

And there is always BT, I don't talk on the phone very much though (232 minutes was my high over the last 6 months and 3 months were low 100)....
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 12:30 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:

-- Rod
The only problem is the cellular radio then? Bluetooth and WiFi chip set are the same drivers?
Rennat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 12:39 PM   #25 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:

-- Rod
Rod, now that this has come up.... just curious, what about LTE? I know we aren't at the point to confirm functionality, but is there a possibility of available driver for any of the current LTE tech?
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 10/05/2012, 12:49 PM   #26 (permalink)

Dang so we need a open source cdma phone too eh? Would HP or Gram spring for the CDMA driver? C'mon Meg!

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 01:05 PM   #27 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Which Nexus would I need for this exactly? i9250?
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 01:07 PM   #28 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Which Nexus would I need for this exactly? i9250?
That sounds about right. I think Open webOS will work on any GSM GNex (aka Maguro).
Garrett92C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 01:41 PM   #29 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
That sounds about right. I think Open webOS will work on any GSM GNex (aka Maguro).
Guess this means I need to start learning Android devices and their various names... blah this is gonna be a chore LOL

Liked by retroblu likes this.
Old 10/05/2012, 04:07 PM   #30 (permalink)

Wait . . . Am I following this thread correctly. No OpenWebOS phone will work on Verizon??? Tell me i miss understand, please.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 06:13 PM   #31 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
Wait . . . Am I following this thread correctly. No OpenWebOS phone will work on Verizon??? Tell me i miss understand, please.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
It still leaves open my LTE question (I don't have full knowledge of LTE or VZW specific LTE anyways though), but on CDMA not with the drivers that are available
Old 10/05/2012, 06:52 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:

-- Rod
ooo. well that's too bad. I guess i'm entirely just an observer as i'm pretty happily on sprint cause it's cheap and if i move it's probably to verizon. no matter.

Question from a non-developer person: Does that situation also apply to LTE? That is will there be a future open webos device running lte on verizon or sprint or possibly no LTE at all anytime soon?

second question: are theses builds basically the tablet os squished onto a phone device.
Third question: since there was no slab with a virtual keyboard, are these build simply altering the tablet virtual keyboard to work on a smaller device? Or generally how do they plan to account for the lack of a keyboard when porting these to slab devices like the nexus? I don't mean technically. i wouldn't even understand. I mean, simply are they gonna make a new keyboard, alter the tablet keyboard, did open webos add a keyboard? that sort of thing.

thanks.
Old 10/05/2012, 06:56 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
It still leaves open my LTE question (I don't have full knowledge of LTE or VZW specific LTE anyways though), but on CDMA not with the drivers that are available

well, that's just about the worst phone related news I have heard since leo left. guess my frankenpre2 needs to hold on a little longer.
intron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 07:09 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by intron View Post
well, that's just about the worst phone related news I have heard since leo left. guess my frankenpre2 needs to hold on a little longer.
Same boat. If I have to switch to a GSM carrier for any Open webOS love, I might as well switch now and start using a Pre 3. I'd have to abandon the sweet grandfathered unlimited everything Sprint family plan I'm a part of thoguh. Five, count 'em, FIVE webOS phones in the family currently jacked into this plan after generations of Treos...
jcerwinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 07:40 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NpManny View Post
Sigh and im guessing the drivers used for the gsm phones are able to be modified or used without breaking the tos which i would assume to happen with the cdma drivers -___-
<sort of rant like post>

What doesn't break some kind of TOS?

</sort of rant like post>

I'm just glad to see something being done with Open webOS...
webos_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 07:43 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Guess this means I need to start learning Android devices and their various names... blah this is gonna be a chore LOL

well if you start now... maybe HP will have a phone out when you're done
webos_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 08:39 PM   #37 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NpManny View Post
Sigh and im guessing the drivers used for the gsm phones are able to be modified or used without breaking the tos which i would assume to happen with the cdma drivers -___-
GSM drivers have been reverse engineered by folks in Europe, and open drivers written.

Just forget about CDMA, it is not going to happen, as it is hostile to open development.

-- Rod
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 08:41 PM   #38 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Rod, now that this has come up.... just curious, what about LTE? I know we aren't at the point to confirm functionality, but is there a possibility of available driver for any of the current LTE tech?
Very unlikely. There is a reason why we chose the unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus.

-- Rod
Thanked by OldSkoolVWLover, ulmens
Old 10/05/2012, 08:46 PM   #39 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by webos_ftw View Post
<sort of rant like post>

What doesn't break some kind of TOS?

</sort of rant like post>

I'm just glad to see something being done with Open webOS...
It's actually a copyright violation to redistribute stuff you don't have the right to redistribute. Nothing to do with terms of service.

But in the case of CDMA drivers, the point is moot, as there are no webOS CDMA drivers for anything other than the pre2 and pre3, and those will not work on any other hardware.

-- Rod
Old 10/05/2012, 08:49 PM   #40 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
ooo. well that's too bad. I guess i'm entirely just an observer as i'm pretty happily on sprint cause it's cheap and if i move it's probably to verizon. no matter.

Question from a non-developer person: Does that situation also apply to LTE? That is will there be a future open webos device running lte on verizon or sprint or possibly no LTE at all anytime soon?

second question: are theses builds basically the tablet os squished onto a phone device.
Third question: since there was no slab with a virtual keyboard, are these build simply altering the tablet virtual keyboard to work on a smaller device? Or generally how do they plan to account for the lack of a keyboard when porting these to slab devices like the nexus? I don't mean technically. i wouldn't even understand. I mean, simply are they gonna make a new keyboard, alter the tablet keyboard, did open webos add a keyboard? that sort of thing.

thanks.
For Open webOS to run on an LTE device will require the device manufacturer to create webOS drivers.

Creating a virtual keyboard is the least of the technical challenges.

-- Rod
Liked by ulmens likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0