webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Crowd Funding to accelerate webos 1.0
Crowd Funding to accelerate webos 1.0
Like Tree10Likes
  • 5 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 4 Post By rwhitby
  • 1 Post By johnnygewitter

Old 10/04/2012, 01:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hi all, does it make sense for us via webos community to initiate some crowd funding project to accelerate the webos into a device.?

if ex Nokia can get 280mil to fund meego, why cannot the webos community start a project using some crowd funding site to get webos onto a phone running properly?
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2012, 02:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

At this point, I would personally think it would be MUCH better to put all that energy and donation funding into the guys at webOS Ports and WebOS Internals. We need them to move forward on software and porting before that next step. Lets support these guys and 'crowdfund' them! They are after all - the front line of the whole movement

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9, khazoury, ebender1965 and 2 others like this.
Old 10/04/2012, 02:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
At this point, I would personally think it would be MUCH better to put all that energy and donation funding into the guys at webOS Ports and WebOS Internals. We need them to move forward on software and porting before that next step. Lets support these guys and 'crowdfund' them! They are after all - the front line of the whole movement
I agree, might we suggest to the internal team to go to one of the crowd fund things and submit a project for crowd funding. I'm sure if they propose a specific device / model and their objectives, alot of people will be willing to fund it..one way or another...
With the fund = more resources, and legitimacy of the project and we can at least see some light at the end of the tunnel for at least 1 phone model....
now everything is under the hood (secrecy) and i believe tats cause the team is privately doing this on their free time,and the reason is cause we all have our 9-5 jobs that pays for the food on the table...
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2012, 04:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daexpression View Post
I agree, might we suggest to the internal team to go to one of the crowd fund things and submit a project for crowd funding. I'm sure if they propose a specific device / model and their objectives, alot of people will be willing to fund it..one way or another...
With the fund = more resources, and legitimacy of the project and we can at least see some light at the end of the tunnel for at least 1 phone model....
now everything is under the hood (secrecy) and i believe tats cause the team is privately doing this on their free time,and the reason is cause we all have our 9-5 jobs that pays for the food on the table...
FYI, there is no secrecy. Build instructions are on the wiki now, and the source repository for the GNex port will follow shortly.

The team specifically cannot accept a crowd funded type of arrangement because we all have day jobs and cannot guarantee either an end date or even success. Donate for things we have already done, not for things we may or may not be able to do in the future.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, retroblu, khazoury and 1 others like this.
Old 10/04/2012, 04:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daexpression View Post
if ex Nokia can get 280mil to fund meego, why cannot the webos community start a project using some crowd funding site to get webos onto a phone running properly?
I don't believe Jolla raised 280 mil from donations from the community. Venture capital more likely, which is a whole different game.
johnnygewitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 10/04/2012, 11:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
I don't believe Jolla raised 280 mil from donations from the community. Venture capital more likely, which is a whole different game.
It is not even venture capital. According to the Wall Street Journal, the Jolla investors are chipset and component makers --- from companies who missed out on the gravy train so far (i.e. Intel, Marvell).
samab is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0