webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > open webOS with 2.x kernel on older devices
open webOS with 2.x kernel on older devices
Like Tree3Likes

Old 10/03/2012, 03:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

I have an idea to compile open webOS with older kernel and extract drivers from webOS doctors and test it at first on emulator (I afraid that my devices will be bricked). It will be such as webOS 3.x on phone though.

No one wants to join the attempt to do this? Are there any tips or comments?

(I have these diveces to test: HP Veer, Palm Pre Plus)
darkdeveloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2012, 03:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Nice idea, but we don't have the source code of the 2.x kernel so I don't see how we could compile it...
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2012, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Nice idea, but we don't have the source code of the 2.x kernel so I don't see how we could compile it...
It must be patched linux kernel? Linux kernel is open source and sources are available. I can compile it for ARM.

Open Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm

Here are all old opensource components.
Old 10/03/2012, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
we don't? where did all those kernels in preware come from?
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9 and Shadowflank like this.
Old 10/03/2012, 03:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

I dont have any knowledge of how to code an operating system but if you think of a solution to a problem the go ahead and try it. Worst thing that can happen is that it dosnt work and you need to Doctor =P
d0u8l3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2012, 04:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Have anyone advices, where drivers are locating in webOS 2.x? I will extract it from Palm/HP doctor and will try to build open webOS doctor.
Old 10/03/2012, 05:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Go here to build (compile) for each ARM device:

https://developer.palm.com/content/a...he-device.html

If you want the webOS drivers, look in the /usr/lib/ipkg/info for all the modules...

You can then use the meta-doctor extract to extract the drivers you wish to use as a default...

FYI Open webOS is based on webOS 3.0.5 not webOS 2.x.x, but replacing modules from webOS 3.0.5 and compiled Open webOS 1.0 modules.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2012, 04:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Using the emulator might be not a good idea... the emulator is x86, i.e. not ARM... that makes things at least different... and it also does not need many of the drivers, that the phones need and most probably are the issues. I'd decide for one of your phones to now be "obsolete" and tinker with that directly.

But you should try to get in contact with webos ports and such people, maybe through the irc channel and see what they already did try, what they are still trying and if they already pursued your idea (and maybe already neglected it for any reason or are still working on it so that you can contribute).

Let's try to focus our efforts.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2012, 04:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

There were some tests with LunaCE (which is also 3.x derived) on Pre3, but these were perhaps only very early tests:
LunaCE on Pre3 - WebOS-Ports

and here is a forum thread for it:
Pre 3 WOCE Spotted
Old 10/04/2012, 04:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'll write them in IRC, tell me please their channel)

And I'll use phone instead of emulator.
Old 10/05/2012, 03:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdeveloper View Post
I'll write them in IRC, tell me please their channel)

And I'll use phone instead of emulator.
hey darkdeveloper...since you're also thinking of doing some dev on webos, might as well participate in the webos ports initiative. Really I think there is now no point to focus on 2.x or the 3.x..but openOS. the Team definately needs devs to enhance, build new features that would make the 1.0 equal or better than the 3.x webos.

Sorry - not a dev here, but a supporter..and can only support by cheering, ideas and some donations.
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Landslug likes this.
Old 10/22/2012, 04:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Sory guys, I have a very few time for it( I'm working, but who can help me?
Old 10/22/2012, 09:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daexpression View Post
hey darkdeveloper...since you're also thinking of doing some dev on webos, might as well participate in the webos ports initiative. Really I think there is now no point to focus on 2.x or the 3.x..but openOS. the Team definately needs devs to enhance, build new features that would make the 1.0 equal or better than the 3.x webos.

Sorry - not a dev here, but a supporter..and can only support by cheering, ideas and some donations.
You have just given me a great idea for my BenQ MID S6 I've been trying to figure out what to put on it. Thanks for smacking upside the head with the blatently obvious solution.

I like forcing things I like and support on oddball devices and weird platforms. Hence this 'project'.
Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
Shadowflank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2012, 10:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

I say if you want to try open webos on 2X devices, go for it since I think the majority, or close to it are using these devices.

But I don't know of any improvements in open webos that would make 2X devices any better
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2012, 02:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I would love to work together with people to get this running on our legacy devices. I have my VirtualBox setup to work on this It seems that there are 3.x kernels available for MSM7x30 chipset which the Veer uses and the MSM8x55 chipset which the Pre3 uses for example.

However so far I wasn't able to get any of the kernels to compile properly. Must be some problem with my toolchain setup
Herrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2012, 10:26 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
I would love to work together with people to get this running on our legacy devices. I have my VirtualBox setup to work on this It seems that there are 3.x kernels available for MSM7x30 chipset which the Veer uses and the MSM8x55 chipset which the Pre3 uses for example.

However so far I wasn't able to get any of the kernels to compile properly. Must be some problem with my toolchain setup
Heres a wild idea, try setting up the toolchain on your device. Compile the kernel there for ease of troubleshooting.

If you require assistance doing this, I'll be glad to help.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
Old 10/23/2012, 10:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Shadowflank, thanks for your support

What I need to setup on my phone/TP to get this running?

Do I need to run Ubuntu/Debian Chroot? Which Toolchain etc?
Old 10/23/2012, 03:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Shadowflank, thanks for your support

What I need to setup on my phone/TP to get this running?

Do I need to run Ubuntu/Debian Chroot? Which Toolchain etc?
No. Advanced commandline installer via optware.

You should have both of these available to you in preware. Install the basic toolchain.

Before you do this I'd recommend resizing the optware image to 256 or 512. The latter is preferred.

For awhile I was trying to build the lfs toolchain for chroot dev work. Ran out of space before I could care enough to patch gcc to fix the regex error during compile.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
Old 10/24/2012, 12:51 AM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

OK managed to do this on my TP. Used Tailor to make a 2GB EXT3 partition and then installed "Optware Bootstrap" and "Optware Advanced Linux Command Line Installer".

What would be the basic "Toolchain" to install? I.e. what package name?

I'll do the same on my Development Veer later today
Old 10/24/2012, 04:08 AM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
we don't? where did all those kernels in preware come from?
Then why do people from here constantly burn me down whenever I say that we do got the 2.x kernel code? Because they say we don't.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0