webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > open webOS with 2.x kernel on older devices
open webOS with 2.x kernel on older devices
Like Tree3Likes

Old 10/24/2012, 05:22 AM   #21 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Then why do people from here constantly burn me down whenever I say that we do got the 2.x kernel code? Because they say we don't.
We do have the source code for webOS 2.2.4 for the devices which have 2.2.4 officially (Pre3) for example. This is source code for kernel 2.6.x

The hardware drivers however are NOT open source, but binary blobs which are specific for a kernel version.

Open webOS runs on kernel 3.3+ for which we don't have any drivers (binary blob or open source) at all for the recent webOS devices.

There are a few options to get Open webOS on our current devices:

1. Get Open webOS run on kernel 2.6.x or 3.0.x instead of 3.3+ since we have binary blob drivers for both versions as it seems for the chipsets. (We can probably use Android drivers to SOME extend).

2. Develop new drivers for 3.3+ kernel ourselves (hard task, though there are some open source initiatives for drivers like CodeAurora, Freedreno etc.

Seeing that good progress is being made on the Nook Color which uses a TI OMAP chipset, I would say it is probably easier to get Open webOS running on a Pre2 compared to more recent devices. This is because TI OMAP is a lot more open source compared to Qualcomm
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 10/24/2012, 08:04 AM   #22 (permalink)

I know this breaks the topic, but I see porting Open webOS to legacy hardware as an unnecesary nightmare. And also, why would anyone risk its existing device, when there are others like the Galaxy Nexus (TI OMAP based), readily available, better specced and not that expensive?

I for one will buy one of those as soon as Open webOS is usable as a smartphone, and keep my unicorn legacy device happily purring standard webOS forever.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2012, 09:04 AM   #23 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
I know this breaks the topic, but I see porting Open webOS to legacy hardware as an unnecesary nightmare. And also, why would anyone risk its existing device, when there are others like the Galaxy Nexus (TI OMAP based), readily available, better specced and not that expensive?

I for one will buy one of those as soon as Open webOS is usable as a smartphone, and keep my unicorn legacy device happily purring standard webOS forever.
Yes and no. The hardware for some of the legacy devices is still fine, so why update? Dualcore Touchpad is powerful enough to do the things we want.

There's no phone like the Veer in the market currently, but would like to have it updated to a more recent browser etc.

In general it's hard to find slider phones with physical QWERTY keyboards
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2012, 01:27 PM   #24 (permalink)

Can anyone send me source code of embeeded version of Open webOS? I have uncorrectly installed git on Ubuntu, but I don't want to reinstall it

I have Desktop version, but can't clone embeeded version. It would be great if someone send me it in skype for example, or here
darkdeveloper is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0