webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > After the port
After the port

Old 10/03/2012, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

I was actually wondering what would happen after the team ports it to the Nexus. I go, find a way to get it onto my device, and then... well, what?

I know WebOS will get updated, probably fairly quickly within the first year (and likely tapering off as time goes on and bugs get ironed out). How do you see it working?
Michael Alan Goff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2012, 06:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would say what happens is to get all the existing apps working, maybe restore/replace some of the original webOS infrastructure, and then moving forward and creating new features and getting more apps developed (though new features would probably be implemented concurrently to getting things ported).
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2012, 10:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
I would say what happens is to get all the existing apps working
If you're referring to all the non-Mojo apps in the App Catalog, unless Open webOS bridges that compatibility gap automatically and packages the catalog functionality in a future release, too many of the webOS developers that created webOS 3.0 apps have long moved on to be able to update them to be compatible. You'd end up with a small fraction moving forward.

And in order to create new apps to the level Open webOS needs to be attractive, you've really gotta have a compelling reason for new devs to come on board and do so. I have a feeling that's gonna be a ways off yet.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2012, 11:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
If you're referring to all the non-Mojo apps in the App Catalog, unless Open webOS bridges that compatibility gap automatically and packages the catalog functionality in a future release, too many of the webOS developers that created webOS 3.0 apps have long moved on to be able to update them to be compatible. You'd end up with a small fraction moving forward.

And in order to create new apps to the level Open webOS needs to be attractive, you've really gotta have a compelling reason for new devs to come on board and do so. I have a feeling that's gonna be a ways off yet.
I think it's possible for an automated script to package up the necessary components of App Catalog and port them over. (It's just the App Catalog service, a couple of package installer binaries, and the actual App Catalog and In App Payment IPKs.) The problem is getting HP's servers to accept the new devices into the system. The Mojo issue shouldn't be too difficult IMO. It's probably just getting a bit of rework in Luna and putting back the chrome. Of course then Mojo isn't exactly open source AFAIK, so that might have to be bundled up and migrated too.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 10/06/2012, 10:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Okay, I worded it incorrectly.

Do you think that if I put it on my Nexus, there will be a simple "system update" button in the settings for me to click and get... system updates? Do you think I'll have to jump through hoops? This is likely a silly question, but if I'm going to be using my Nexus for it (later, when the port is actually done), then these are questions I will need to know the answers to.
Old 10/06/2012, 11:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Alan Goff View Post
Okay, I worded it incorrectly.

Do you think that if I put it on my Nexus, there will be a simple "system update" button in the settings for me to click and get... system updates? Do you think I'll have to jump through hoops? This is likely a silly question, but if I'm going to be using my Nexus for it (later, when the port is actually done), then these are questions I will need to know the answers to.
you mean app updates or open webos ones? id imagine system/open webOS ones can be from any source the ports team so desire???
Old 10/06/2012, 11:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
The problem is getting HP's servers to accept the new devices into the system..
can any/all port devices simply register themselves as the last official hardware (touchpad/pre3) regardless of what donor hardware their on? would a native webOS app care or need to know the device is a samsung galaxy or any other androidy type device?
Old 10/06/2012, 12:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Michael, have a look at the following link, this suggests there will be OTA updates! http://webos-ports.org/wiki/OTA_API_Blueprint
Old 10/06/2012, 01:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
you mean app updates or open webos ones? id imagine system/open webOS ones can be from any source the ports team so desire???
The WebOS.

I imagine the other ones will be via store, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Michael, have a look at the following link, this suggests there will be OTA updates! OTA API Blueprint - WebOS-Ports
YES!

Best news ever.
Old 10/06/2012, 03:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
can any/all port devices simply register themselves as the last official hardware (touchpad/pre3) regardless of what donor hardware their on? would a native webOS app care or need to know the device is a samsung galaxy or any other androidy type device?
You'd need to spoof the device I'D and some tokens in order for HP's servers to register. For example, you can't register the emulator to a Palm Profile because it doesn't have an accepted model token. I'm not sure how device ID and tokens are handled in Open webOS. If the account services API are not included, that needs to be implemented first before any part of App Catalog would work.

Actually, I think an alternative is to spoof tokens to App Tuckerbox and use it instead of App Catalog.
Thanked By: geekpeter
Old 10/06/2012, 06:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
You'd need to spoof the device I'D and some tokens in order for HP's servers to register. For example, you can't register the emulator to a Palm Profile because it doesn't have an accepted model token. I'm not sure how device ID and tokens are handled in Open webOS. If the account services API are not included, that needs to be implemented first before any part of App Catalog would work.

Actually, I think an alternative is to spoof tokens to App Tuckerbox and use it instead of App Catalog.
Impostah has chameleonic capabilities.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2012, 03:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

Now for the waiting game until it is fully ported to my Nexus.
Old 10/08/2012, 03:53 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Impostah has chameleonic capabilities.

-- Rod
Does it work properly in Open webOS? And I don't know how tokens are handled. Are they read from a flat file, or do they exist at all?
Old 10/08/2012, 04:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Does it work properly in Open webOS? And I don't know how tokens are handled. Are they read from a flat file, or do they exist at all?
Nothing works in Open webOS at the moment.

-- Rod
Old 10/08/2012, 04:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

dont lie, drag up to unlock is working
Old 10/08/2012, 04:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Developer

The point is that it is way too early to be worrying about this stuff when the basic port is not yet complete, and won't be complete for many weeks at least.

-- Rod

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0