webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > open webos apps
open webos apps
Like Tree3Likes

Old 10/01/2012, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

I'm curious about the plan for apps. Is the current plan to run android apps on open webos? If not, I'm not sure what the end goal is, unless there is a strategy to bring in developers.

If that is the case, what is the presumed advantage of open webos over android, other than the cards convention? What would differentiate it then from someone writing a launcher skin for Android with the card theme?

I'm not downing on the program at all, I'm really curious as to where people expect the platform to fit into the current landscape.
jrsharp70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2012, 03:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

You need to re-read the open webOS threads. Open webOS has little to do with Android. It will not run Android apps. Right now, it only supports Enyo apps, and at this early stage, a limited set, but I'm fairly sure that will change, though I don't know when.

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2012, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm wondering what the deal is with people wanting to run Android apps on webOS. Why? Just because there are apps? It probably can be done, but if all you want to do on webOS is to run Android apps, why not just use Android? I don't think there are any end goals involving Android, other than running on Android-capable devices. webOS and Android are two different platforms, and each platform's apps will run best on that platform.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2012, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
I'm wondering what the deal is with people wanting to run Android apps on webOS. Why? Just because there are apps? It probably can be done, but if all you want to do on webOS is to run Android apps, why not just use Android? I don't think there are any end goals involving Android, other than running on Android-capable devices. webOS and Android are two different platforms, and each platform's apps will run best on that platform.
What are you going to run open webOS on? An ANDROID tablet! So why build apps for something that you have to side-load onto a tablet that already has millions of apps?

My question is because without apps, a platform is nothing. There is nothing WRONG with webOS as it stands (thought it is a little dated)... except that you can't do much with it.

Even with all of the awesome work of the webOS community, there still needs to be apps from major players, Adobe, Hulu, productivity apps, photo editing, social networking, NFL, media outlets, music, maps, etc...

I love the Evernote app for webOS... but it ISN'T from Evernote... there are video aggregators, but all they do is link to the web, there is no PDF markup, no drawing apps (that are very good), only 1 third party browser. I could go on...

My point is, there is no PURPOSE behind webOS if it doesn't do the things that the Android tablet you just bought can already do unless you can do it A) better B) while enhancing what already exists.

Am I the only person that wonders this
Thanked By: sq5
Old 10/01/2012, 06:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

You run Android apps on Android, you run webOS apps on webOS. Period. The only exceptions are emulators or "app compatibilitiy layers", and one example, ACL, is vaporware at this point. The device you are running that OS on it means nothing. It's the OS that determines what apps you can run. If you want to run Android apps, run Android, and let us enjoy webOS in peace.

/rant

Liked by kataran likes this.
Old 10/01/2012, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
You run Android apps on Android, you run webOS apps on webOS. Period. The only exceptions are emulators or "app compatibilitiy layers", and one example, ACL, is vaporware at this point. The device you are running that OS on it means nothing. It's the OS that determines what apps you can run. If you want to run Android apps, run Android, and let us enjoy webOS in peace.

/rant
genuinely sorry, I was confused. I thought that open webos was supposed to be a platform attempting to achieve some market share (no sarcasm). I didn't realize that it was just for developers and hobbyists. I was always hoping it would be a viable platform again.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 10/01/2012, 09:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsharp70 View Post
genuinely sorry, I was confused. I thought that open webos was supposed to be a platform attempting to achieve some market share (no sarcasm). I didn't realize that it was just for developers and hobbyists. I was always hoping it would be a viable platform again.

Thanks for the replies.
I sense a lot of sarcasm at the end of that post. I'd still say it's completely pointless running apps for a different platform when you can use that platform natively. My best guess is people may want to create Enyo apps and run them on the original platform Enyo was designed for. That said, there's nothing preventing people from using Enyo on other platforms or the web.

The focus of Open webOS is not Android. It's for people who wants the nice interface and wants to get the most out of their device easily. And really, if users put in a bit of effort, they can write decent apps to do what they need to. Of course, since most users don't want to learn programming, that's left to developers.

I think the best course of action is to get Open webOS running on a good variety of devices, restore some of the pre-Open Source infrastructures, and attract developers by showing the OS works on a variety of devices. Then maybe if there are enough developers OEM's would have motivation to make webOS devices.

<siderant>I wonder why you don't ask if the end goal of Open webOS is to run iOS apps. Or that Android should run iOS apps.</siderant>
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2012, 09:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am sorry for being blunt, I just don't get it. You can only run apps on an OS they are compatible with. The only apps that will run on webOS are webOS apps, and that will not change. *IF* ACL ever gets off the ground, that provides a compatibility layer where the apps *think* they are running on Android. Even that will not ensure commercial success of webOS -- in fact, I think it is counter to ever getting a decent number of native webOS apps.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 10/01/2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10/01/2012, 11:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

OpenMobile is vaporware until they actually release a product, and so far they haven't even released the product for the first platforms they announced it for, much less webOS. And the Q3 they kept proclaiming? That just ended, folks, and according to their blog they just keep announcing support for even more "platforms."

Uh...huh.

Anyhow, what's the point of running Android apps on an Android device running Open webOS, really? I can completely understand the rationale for folks with original Touchpad that don't want to commit to CM9, or other webOS hardware users that don't even have access to Android at all on them. It makes perfect sense to allow these orphaned devices an opportunity to get access to some top-tier apps while the App Catalog continues to stagnate (and please, don't tell us it isn't--it is, and quite visibly so).

But...Android apps on an device built specifically for Android but running Open webOS instead? Doesn't that smack just a bit of denial and desperation when the only thing you want to do is switch the OS out but keep (and happily use) everything else that represents Android in order to avoid...Android? (There's some cognitive dissonance involved; a classic case.) Would you drop an aged and bruised 70s Mustang on a Porsche chassis, despite the fact it'll run far, far worse than if you just left the Porsche alone in the first place...but did it just because you loved that Mustang?

I'm frankly more shocked that webOS supporters aren't putting the necessary effort behind supporting the developers that put more Enyo-powered apps out there on other OS markets to keep the app conventions that made webOS great still relevant and influential in the marketplace. As far as I can tell, those developers that left webOS but still embrace Enyo to carry on the spirit of webOS to other operating systems often get left out in the cold amongst fans of webOS, and that's the real damned shame here.

Last edited by dignitary; 10/01/2012 at 11:22 PM.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2012, 11:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I am sorry for being blunt, I just don't get it. You can only run apps on an OS they are compatible with. The only apps that will run on webOS are webOS apps, and that will not change. *IF* ACL ever gets off the ground, that provides a compatibility layer where the apps *think* they are running on Android. Even that will not ensure commercial success of webOS -- in fact, I think it is counter to ever getting a decent number of native webOS apps.

I think its been stated numerous times that open webOS doesn't have a commercial success plan at the moment that we have been made aware of. It has been released so that developers can begin to first get it running on different platforms, then writing enyo apps for it. If you are and end user and require support that commercially available platforms offer, then you should probably stick with those for now, as open webOS doesn't fit that bill and we are not sure if it ever will.
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by jrsharp70, sq5
Old 10/02/2012, 12:30 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
I think its been stated numerous times that open webOS doesn't have a commercial success plan at the moment that we have been made aware of. It has been released so that developers can begin to first get it running on different platforms, then writing enyo apps for it. If you are and end user and require support that commercially available platforms offer, then you should probably stick with those for now, as open webOS doesn't fit that bill and we are not sure if it ever will.
this is the response I was looking for. I was just genuinely confused as to the actual purpose of open webos. I didn't understand the mission statement, if you will.

All anyone had to say was "it is a developer platform for a new software language, and isn't really aimed at a device or market share", I would have finally understood. As it stands, I think many people still believe that they will see webos as another competing ecosystem again, with hardware and applications.

Now that I know this, I don't see any point in running another platform's apps either.

There are some very defensive people here.
Old 10/02/2012, 04:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
this is the response I was looking for. I was just genuinely confused as to the actual purpose of open webos. I didn't understand the mission statement, if you will.

All anyone had to say was "it is a developer platform for a new software language, and isn't really aimed at a device or market share", I would have finally understood. As it stands, I think many people still believe that they will see webos as another competing ecosystem again, with hardware and applications.

Now that I know this, I don't see any point in running another platform's apps either.

I agree with you... I love my Touchpad, love WebOS, but hate the fact that I have to play an app like Words With Friends through Facebook.

WebOS is the best mobile OS out there, unfortunately there's increasingly less you can do with it.

I applaud the work everyone here does, and I hope one day WebOS can make a triumphant return. Unfortunately it doesn't look likely any time soon.
JTH182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2012, 06:47 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
Would you drop an aged and bruised 70s Mustang on a Porsche chassis, despite the fact it'll run far, far worse than if you just left the Porsche alone in the first place...but did it just because you loved that Mustang?
I'm just gonna leave this 2CV NIMIK: Capristo's Sound - YouTube here
Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
webOSnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2012, 07:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
OpenMobile is vaporware until they actually release a product, and so far they haven't even released the product for the first platforms they announced it for, much less webOS. And the Q3 they kept proclaiming? That just ended, folks, and according to their blog they just keep announcing support for even more "platforms."

Uh...huh.

Anyhow, what's the point of running Android apps on an Android device running Open webOS, really? I can completely understand the rationale for folks with original Touchpad that don't want to commit to CM9, or other webOS hardware users that don't even have access to Android at all on them. It makes perfect sense to allow these orphaned devices an opportunity to get access to some top-tier apps while the App Catalog continues to stagnate (and please, don't tell us it isn't--it is, and quite visibly so).

But...Android apps on an device built specifically for Android but running Open webOS instead? Doesn't that smack just a bit of denial and desperation when the only thing you want to do is switch the OS out but keep (and happily use) everything else that represents Android in order to avoid...Android? (There's some cognitive dissonance involved; a classic case.) Would you drop an aged and bruised 70s Mustang on a Porsche chassis, despite the fact it'll run far, far worse than if you just left the Porsche alone in the first place...but did it just because you loved that Mustang?

I'm frankly more shocked that webOS supporters aren't putting the necessary effort behind supporting the developers that put more Enyo-powered apps out there on other OS markets to keep the app conventions that made webOS great still relevant and influential in the marketplace. As far as I can tell, those developers that left webOS but still embrace Enyo to carry on the spirit of webOS to other operating systems often get left out in the cold amongst fans of webOS, and that's the real damned shame here.
Maybe someone could make a list of these enyo developers. I know secustore is one and I bought it for my touchpad and iphone 4. That is a good point we can support those developers.
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2012, 07:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:

I think your question is understandable. Some people are hoping open webos is a stealthy way for HP to get back into the smart phone/tablet market. But others are trying to keep their expectations minimal and expect only to keep webOS ported to contemporary devices. I think HP/Gram is trying to get webOS running on other mobile devices, kiosks, cars, anything else. HP might be hoping that someone eventually adopts open Webos for tablets and phones but those may not even be available in US/European market or any time soon. Best to keep expectations low and just enjoy the creativity of webOS internals and other developers. I can be happy with good email, browser and couple of key apps like twitter clients or facebook.
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kataran likes this.
Thanked By: sq5
Old 10/03/2012, 09:10 AM   #16 (permalink)

I for one am just hoping that they can get a workable installable Open webOS that will rock at Flash and HTML5 in the browser, and then we just move more and more to universal browser based app models. Proprietary tech and apps are great and flashy but most computer users wouldn't care if it were one or another. Just as long as the things all work in browser.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2012, 11:47 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
I for one am just hoping that they can get a workable installable Open webOS that will rock at Flash and HTML5 in the browser, and then we just move more and more to universal browser based app models. Proprietary tech and apps are great and flashy but most computer users wouldn't care if it were one or another. Just as long as the things all work in browser.
You're completely disregarding the importance of notifications for people.
DougB541#CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2012, 12:06 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
You're completely disregarding the importance of notifications for people.
I'd have to agree with this. I don't get Facebook/Twitter/Email notifications from my browser, I get them from my apps. I prefer having my device let me know about things versus having to open up my browser, then open whatever to find out about new notifications.
Old 10/03/2012, 01:49 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:

We step into the Tardis and head back to 1995....

At the time, IBM produced an OS called OS/2. OS/2 ran OS/2, DOS and Windows (16-bit) apps and ran all very well. The problem with that was that since it ran DOS and Win apps so well, why would any developer write native OS/2 apps?

... returning to the present...

If ACL ever does materialize for open webOS, what's the impetus for developers to write native webOS apps when their Android apps will work fine?
bikeguychicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2012, 05:00 PM   #20 (permalink)

Webos will never be a viable OS. It will only be something for nerds to tinker with.
omahawildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0