1.    #1  
    Hi All

Maybe I'm just smoking something, but I wonder if it occurred to HP to offer prospective WebOS adoptees (manufacturers, not our dwindling community!) the protection offered by Palm's prodigious portfolio of registered patents.

I'm not a lawyer, and I don't know if this is even possible, but could HP form a joint Venture with some Cell phone manufacturers, and then cede the patent ownership to the JV...

So, I suppose a question to the legal-types out there: Could/would a JV, granted ownership of the patents, provide any prospective OpenWebOS adoptees any real leverage or protection?

Prior to the open-sourcing of WebOS, it would've been an esier bundle to sell (wonder if Samsung is regretting that now!).

Short of a major cell phone manufacturer taking on WebOS, I'm losing hope of seeing our beloved OS on anything except &^%^&*! printers!

Thanks

russ
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    This has come up before - the short version (from what people like Milo could piece together) is that palm sold off the patents years in exchange for a licence to be able to use them (and a bag of cash) - HP can the license but it is unclear if they could assign rights to anyone else.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, CG.

I had no idea Palm had sold them off... was that at the same time as the old PalmOS / Access thing?
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by russellraff View Post
    Thanks, CG.

I had no idea Palm had sold them off... was that at the same time as the old PalmOS / Access thing?
    Yeah - I can't remember the details off the top of my head but I they were sold on again to a patent company - anyone remember the name?