webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Confused about Open webOS port
Confused about Open webOS port
Like Tree19Likes

Old 09/30/2012, 11:20 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Why do you keep taking about commercial perspectives?

Open webOS has no known commercial future. There are no known commercial partners for Open webOS. There are no known commercial partners even interested in Open webOS.

Seriously, if commercial support for webOS is what you are waiting for, then you should just stop holding your breath now. Move on and save yourself the bitterness you are displaying in your posts, and leave this forum bitterness-free for those who are interested in webOS regardless of commercial interests.

-- Rod
But it is a lot more than "commercial interests".

If you are for "open source", then you should also respect HP's closed sourceness as well. Otherwise you are just a bunch of anarchists --- and you are going to turn off the larger open source community.
samab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2012, 05:01 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram View Post
What happens to app catalog access if Open webOS gets ported to say a Galaxy Nexus like in yesterdays article? Are we limited to stock and homebrew apps?
that's a good question. my hopes is that the devs can allow open webos to access and use the google play store on ports to android devices.
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2012, 06:21 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
that's a good question. my hopes is that the devs can allow open webos to access and use the google play store on ports to android devices.
Hmm yeah, all those android apps will do a lot of good... Smh

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2012, 08:08 PM   #24 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post
But it is a lot more than "commercial interests".

If you are for "open source", then you should also respect HP's closed sourceness as well. Otherwise you are just a bunch of anarchists --- and you are going to turn off the larger open source community.
You may wish to make yourself aware of the foundations upon which WebOS Internals was built before directing such statements my way...

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Buddy1969 and SnotBoogie like this.
Thanked By: dr3wster
Old 09/30/2012, 09:16 PM   #25 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Hmm yeah, all those android apps will do a lot of good... Smh
it would seem likely that the catalog upgrades that happened overthe last several months are to allow for new devices to be added, or at least new os versions and such

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2012, 02:25 AM   #26 (permalink)

The OPs question is no doubt very valid. The existence of some kind of app catalog is something a mobile platform needs or it will die. This has nothing to do with commercial interest or "just enthusiasts". Even if I am jsut an enthusiast, having 5 standard apps won't bring me very far.

That said I think it is a bit soon to crack the head about it. Let's all be patient and let the WebOSports guys do their thing and then we see, what works and what not. And then we might see if it wets some companies interest...
One step at a time.

From me: congratulations to WebOS ports. Good job so far! Stick to it

What I would wish appcatalog wise: ONE openAppcatalog, containing all the nice apps from both worlds, the HP Appcatalog and Preware.

What I wish hardwarewise: openWebOS is fine, but if I buy an expensive hardware like Galaxy S3, I would like to be able to use both Jellybean and openWebOS. So dualboot would be a hammer!

So far my wishes ... and yes I know, wishes, horses etc ...
Old 10/01/2012, 03:08 AM   #27 (permalink)
Developer

It seems a lot of folks here have forgotten about App Tuckerbox and it's role in a worst case scenario.

Remember, the hardest thing is getting the permission of the developers of the apps to redistribute or sell them. The technical aspects of serving and installing them are well known and straight forward to implement given time.

-- Rod
Liked by Buddy1969 and Vistaus like this.
Thanked by Buddy1969, Vistaus
Old 10/01/2012, 04:57 AM   #28 (permalink)

Just thinking loudly:

what if you "lie" to the appcat server and tell him you are using a Pre3, when in fact you are using the Nexus? I could imagine that there might be a method to "tweak" you hardwareidentity?
Is it possible?
It it legal?
Old 10/01/2012, 07:22 AM   #29 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
Just thinking loudly:

what if you "lie" to the appcat server and tell him you are using a Pre3, when in fact you are using the Nexus? I could imagine that there might be a method to "tweak" you hardwareidentity?
Is it possible?
It it legal?
This has been possible for many months - Impostah has chameleonic capabilities.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Old 10/01/2012, 07:30 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
This has been possible for many months - Impostah has chameleonic capabilities.

-- Rod
Impostah and App Tuckerbox are both awesome pieces of work thank you Rod and company !
P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Buddy1969 and Vistaus like this.
Thanked By: dr3wster

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0