webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open webOS developer comunity
Open webOS developer comunity
Like Tree6Likes

Old 09/29/2012, 07:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

I saw so many post dealing with how to make open webOS attractive to OEM's but I think it's far more important how to make webOS interesting to open source development community beyond these boards. I don't know how many developers skilled with linux, webkit and other tehnical stuff are involved in open webOS project, but it seem impossible task just for WebosInternals to fill a gap between barebone OpenWebOS 1.0 and fully usable daily driver.
Does HP have some strategy to bring Open WebOS to Linux developer comunty?
Old 09/29/2012, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Their site looks pretty good... Has a lot of functionality to it, offers to host a community, allows download of Open Embedded and/or Desktop Build, links to gr.am and Enyo, states they are hiring, contains a Blog, cites @webosports, documents the governance model, shows their address and phone number, provides documentation and how-to info, etc...

Open webOS

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2012, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's not enough I'm afraid.
Old 09/29/2012, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

It is a solid infrastructure of support.

OpenwebOS is just about 28 hours old...

Your expectation level for what is possible is on too short a timetable, IMHO.

Mobile Nations Devotee
Old 09/29/2012, 05:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
I saw so many post dealing with how to make open webOS attractive to OEM's but I think it's far more important how to make webOS interesting to open source development community beyond these boards. I don't know how many developers skilled with linux, webkit and other tehnical stuff are involved in open webOS project, but it seem impossible task just for WebosInternals to fill a gap between barebone OpenWebOS 1.0 and fully usable daily driver.
Does HP have some strategy to bring Open WebOS to Linux developer comunty?
When it comes to actually developing applications it pretty simple, if you can dev an app for Android (shudders) or iOS you should be able too for webOS (at least in some capacity)... and they are hiring quite a few people... I also think you are expecting far too much in less than 48 hours (on the weekend even)...
webos_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2012, 04:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

No, I'm not talking about apps, I'm talking about core OS development and number of developers needed for that job. I'm asking do we have enough skilled OS developers in comunity or we need more to bring to the party, and how to bring them?
btw. I'm not disappointed with version 1.0 at all. It's pretty much I was expecting.
Old 09/30/2012, 10:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Perhaps you should state what it is that you wish were happening...

Mobile Nations Devotee
Old 09/30/2012, 01:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Perhaps you should state what it is that you wish were happening...
That would help...
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 09/30/2012, 04:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webos_ftw View Post
That would help...
I dont know what steps HP should take to promote Open WebOS, but I think they should have some strategy. We are listening for last year how Open webOS will be developed in large part by community. I would like to know how big is this community and how much work is ahead of them.
Being here, I only know for WebOS Internals and about dozen other skilled individuals capable to contribute in creating an operating system. So, I think those dozen developers and WebOS Internals crew cant fill all gaps in open webOS not because lack of skills or will, but simply because they must work at their daily jobs, and it seem after all those layouts and exodus, HP doesn't have enough people to work on webOS development at some reasonable tempo.
I'm intersteed how broader opensource and linux community can be mobilized in webOS development? Releasing "we have finished openwebos 1.0" video on youtube and waiting for masses to contact you is not a reasonable plan. So I'm asking how this plan should look like?

Last edited by chalx; 09/30/2012 at 05:12 PM.
chalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2012, 05:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

i still say open webos will be a enthusiasts only platform. im not sure how many ports to existing phones were going to see.
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2012, 05:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
i still say open webos will be a enthusiasts only platform. im not sure how many ports to existing phones were going to see.
I wouldn't say ONLY but I doubt that we will see every big phone maker start making Open webOS devices...
Old 09/30/2012, 05:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webos_ftw View Post
I wouldn't say ONLY but I doubt that we will see every big phone maker start making Open webOS devices...
sad to say but webos had it's chance in the spotlight. the most your going to see is ports, i doubt any oem will ship phones with it. even google may strip the parts they want out of the os and use it in android. this has been brought up many times in the past.
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: dignitary
Old 09/30/2012, 08:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
sad to say but webos had it's chance in the spotlight. the most your going to see is ports, i doubt any oem will ship phones with it. even google may strip the parts they want out of the os and use it in android. this has been brought up many times in the past.
Well, don't act surprise we talking about stupid HP, the company who ruined WebOS...what were you thinking that it will promote it to everyone and call a conference inviting developers to create an application for the WebOS system ?

And also its sad that HP isn't promoting anything beyond saying: "Here's Open WebOS codes, we dumping the codes so the community works for it, we[HP] are too stupid and lazy. So community get to work people".

Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 10/01/2012 at 11:56 PM.
PalmPixi_User23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2012, 09:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
And also its sad that HP isn't promoting anything beyond saying: "Here's Open WebOS codes, we dumping the codes so the community works for it, we[HP] stupid and lazy. So community get to work people".
In case people get the wrong impression from your "dumping the code" quote, here is one from HP about their immediate ongoing plans for the development of Open webOS. From their blog at The Open webOS Project Blog. And the fact that they have met their previous milestones means that there is no reason to be pessimistic about these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP in their Open webOS blog
We will continue to innovate and develop for Open webOS over the coming months, including the following planned enhancements:
Qt5 / WebKit2
Open sourced media and audio components
BlueZ Bluetooth stack
ConnMan network management
Optimized SysMgr rendering architecture
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 10/01/2012, 09:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
There is a slight chance for OEMs to pick it up. If the porting goes well and it's easy to install those ports then the user base and developer base will grow. Not to the point of iOS or Android but enough to at least get some attention. Then OEMs *could* see potential in that growing user/developer base and make an Open WebOS phone.

But like I said: it's a slight change (slim if you prefer that word).
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2012, 11:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
There is a slight chance for OEMs to pick it up. If the porting goes well and it's easy to install those ports then the user base and developer base will grow. Not to the point of iOS or Android but enough to at least get some attention. Then OEMs *could* see potential in that growing user/developer base and make an Open WebOS phone.

But like I said: it's a slight change (slim if you prefer that word).
A small fraction of a fraction of percent market share change against the likes of iOS and Android won't influence any OEM to do anything. It's just reality, unless HP--er, "gram"--is in talks with the OEMs themselves. As long as there's nobody actively conducting business meetings with the top levels of prospective OEMs, well, that market share potential isn't likely to change.

Neither will a bunch of hardcore webOS fans sending hopeful letters begging them to spend many, many millions to prototype, source parts for, build (by slapping bodies in China at it), get government regulatory clearance (FCC in the U.S.), market, and commercially support a new Open webOS device. It's dreaming at that point.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2012, 11:49 PM   #17 (permalink)

Let people dream then.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by johncc and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 10/02/2012, 01:03 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
Let people dream then.
Yep, I am totally for that, as long as people know that it is a dream.

I mean, we all are WebOS fans or else we wouldn't be here. We all had a lot to endure in the last couple of years, a few ups but many more downs. And we all hope for a rebirth of WebOS on commercial devices.

But we all see the signs. Even though HP met their schedule and released OpenWebOS on time, they
1) don't engage in marketing for the OS at all
2) have no governance model I know of
3) they pushed out the WebOS GBU and don't even run them as "mobile OS" company, but as a company for some dubious cloud services
4) they shut down the support chat

I dare ask the question: what is left? Really? How long until the appcatalog is closed as well? Because this is the last piece of the old infrastructure and it's already "creaking". And don't tell me you didn't think of that as well...

But (and this is a big BUT), there is yet hope left, as long as there are people like those from WOI, who provide a WebOS CE and who are working on porting openWebOS to Android devices. They even have fallback scenarios for the day, the appcatalog stopps.
I just hope the fans don't crush them under their expectations. There is only so much a group of enthusiasts can do. We can support them and most of us do, but even though they always seem to work magic, we need to keep in mind that they do have their limits.

I personally will stick with the Pre3 for a bit and then probably will head over to the Android camp, hoping I can dualboot my phone then and at least play around with WebOS on my new phone
I had a great time and that is all that really counts. But times change.
Do I hate HP? No. Palm and HP paid a hell of a price for their incompetence. Palm didn't survive it and HP is only half their original worth, so I would guess they've got the punishment they deserved. It is only sad for all the people who worked there and lost their jobs. Everything else is less important.
New devices will com and they will have new OSs. With Handspring and Palm having been the waylayers for Smartphones, we will always recognize parts of the original experience in all the systems who are currently out.

It is a bit like celtic culture. It is mostly gone from the world. Old believes have been wiped aside by christianity but still ... we have a christmas tree, we have easter eggs and many more things that derive from the old ways. Nothing stays forever but nothing completely vanishes as well.

I hope you find these thoughts comforting as well.
[/thoughtful]
Old 10/02/2012, 11:15 AM   #19 (permalink)

As long as my phones and Touchpad breathe, I'm good. I have the apps I need already. webos-internals have got our backs on keeping the apps we already have purchased when that day does come. In addition there are awesome devs working to make Open webOS a reality for us, and they have proven already they are capable. I'm excited for the future, even if there is no commercial future for the OS.

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked by RumoredNow, Vistaus
Old 10/02/2012, 04:05 PM   #20 (permalink)

Frankly, I think we need to know more about what is up with gram. All we have is vague memo, a blank webpage with a logo, and a picture of a swag-bag. Until gram formally launches and exits this so-called "stealth mode", then we, as mere laymen in the community, can't really know anything, as everyone remotely related to the core business likely has NDA ducktape over their mouths.

But, until we know what gram is all about, I'd remain cautious as a developer in making a premature judgment in any direction. "Secret stealth mode" concerning the organization seemingly "in charge" an open source project doesn't exactly jive with me at the moment. It impedes any ability to formulate any kind of long term projections as far as making a commitment to the platform.

Obviously there are a lot of strong developers already part of the webOS community, and I'm grateful for their work all across the board, from apps, preware, to Luna CE, to open webOS itself.

But as far as expanding on that core community of developers, I just don't exactly see how that can really be done yet, with the big huge elephant in the room: the tiny, little, gram.

Only after gram opens up a bit, then I think developers might be courted. At least there might be a more clear and factual grounding to go on. Right now we just have a code drop and a bunch of speculation. I'm not sure if that's enough.
jcerwinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by webOSnomad likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0