webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Sprint vice president says Palm Pre was a big success
Sprint vice president says Palm Pre was a big success
  Reply
Like Tree9Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09/29/2012, 02:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 13
Here' the link to the article:

Sprint vice president says Palm Pre was a big success - Los Angeles Gadgets | Examiner.com

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/01/2012 at 10:44 PM.
deleon469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: sq5
Old 09/29/2012, 02:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
HelmutsKohl's Avatar
 
Posts: 99
The Palm Pre has been the most succesful device in the history of O2 Germany: Palm Pre ist das erfolgreichste Smartphone bei O2 - Golem.de
HelmutsKohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2012, 05:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 236
In the UK, it pretty much bombed. I only ever saw one other person with a webOS phone in all this time.

The problem was that they went exclusive with O2 UK, who at the time had an exclusive on the iPhone. So, people come in asking for an iPhone, they get sold an iPhone.

If they'd have gone with Vodafone or Orange, when people came in asking for an iPhone, they could have said "Well, we don't have those, but this is an excellent alternative". There was just no incentive for O2 to sell it in the UK... although I do have to admit, they did have Palm stands and demo units back then, so i'll credit them for that.
__________________
My apps:
Giddy 3 | Gridword
Xeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2012, 06:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
HelmutsKohl's Avatar
 
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeron View Post
The problem was that they went exclusive with O2 UK, who at the time had an exclusive on the iPhone. So, people come in asking for an iPhone, they get sold an iPhone.
Maybe the opposite situation in Germany was the reason for its success: The iPhone was exclusively available at T-Mobile - so if someone was about to renew the contract with O2, they always offered the Pre. And the TV commercial was quite nice.
HelmutsKohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2012, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
smooth3006's Avatar
 
Posts: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by deleon469 View Post
yeah it sold so well they never carried another one.
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by The Bard and khazoury like this.
Old 10/01/2012, 12:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
SlightlyAmiss's Avatar
 
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
yeah it sold so well they never carried another one.
Sounds just about the right amount of stupid for Sprint. I'm not surprised.
__________________
Palm Pre 2 · HP Veer 4G (2.2.4) · HP Veer 4G · HP Pre 3 · HP Pre 3 · HP Pre 3 (Cracked Display) · HP TouchPad
SlightlyAmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kataran likes this.
Old 10/01/2012, 12:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
SnotBoogie's Avatar
 
Posts: 787
without more context it's hard to comment. i would wonder wether it's just saving face or whether he means it sold well but had no future, started well but tailed off, had lots of interests but hardware didn't come fast enough or to their requirements, or what. you know. It's a very weird article. it says this guy told the column this yesterday. YOu'd think there was a lot more to it to give context. I'm quite sure that the guy didn't call up and say that one sentence and hang up the phone. So i'd be curious as to what the whole interview was about. Like where is the follow up questions. The logical next question is why did you stop selling webos devices. Where is that answer? Why didn't they ask that question? I mean it's like a presidential debate where the questioner moves on and you're like, "No! don't move on. Don't let him off the hook. Ask the obvious follow up." regardless i'd like to hear what else was said. This is just a snippet.
__________________
You come at the king. You best not miss.
SnotBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by johnjaycee likes this.
Old 10/01/2012, 02:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Buddy1969's Avatar
 
Posts: 546
They didn't sell any Palm (or HP) devices in rich countries like Austria and Switzerland and other areas of Europe (especially eastern part) were left blank on the sales chart.

Only selling in a few countries and then whining that competitors have more revenue is a bit cheap. But both, Palm and HP have already paid for their marketing deficites. The market is merciless when it comes to botchers and diletants...
__________________
War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
Buddy1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2012, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
gbp
Member
 
gbp's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
without more context it's hard to comment. i would wonder wether it's just saving face or whether he means it sold well but had no future, started well but tailed off, had lots of interests but hardware didn't come fast enough or to their requirements, or what. you know. It's a very weird article. it says this guy told the column this yesterday. YOu'd think there was a lot more to it to give context. I'm quite sure that the guy didn't call up and say that one sentence and hang up the phone. So i'd be curious as to what the whole interview was about. Like where is the follow up questions. The logical next question is why did you stop selling webos devices. Where is that answer? Why didn't they ask that question? I mean it's like a presidential debate where the questioner moves on and you're like, "No! don't move on. Don't let him off the hook. Ask the obvious follow up." regardless i'd like to hear what else was said. This is just a snippet.
Plain simple while the customers loved the operating system the hardware + response lags caused it to fail. HP can still salvage it by releasing couple more phones that are built like tanks. The average smartphone user needs something that is not Apple or Android.
gbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2012, 01:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*
 
OldSkoolVWLover's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
yeah it sold so well they never carried another one.
And they lost a TON of customers because of that decision.
__________________
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, gbp, Shadavis08 and 1 others like this.
Old 10/01/2012, 03:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
DougB541#CB's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,758
If you are equating 1000 pounds to 1000 people...that sounds about right.
DougB541#CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2012, 08:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*
 
OldSkoolVWLover's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
If you are equating 1000 pounds to 1000 people...that sounds about right.
I would say well over 1000 people, I know many and don't claim to know nearly all. Not saying they all went to new webOS devices, but went to better services.

Combine leaving webOS behind and adding $10 per line per smartphone, they lost us and others...
__________________
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2012, 10:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
SnotBoogie's Avatar
 
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbp View Post
Plain simple while the customers loved the operating system the hardware + response lags caused it to fail. HP can still salvage it by releasing couple more phones that are built like tanks. The average smartphone user needs something that is not Apple or Android.
that's your opinion. But I'm asking for the CEO's words not forum speculation, opinion, or the same arguments for or against webos from forums. I'm talking about details, an interviewer that's asking "the next" question and the right question. This is nothing but a soundbite without context, without followup questions, without precision. You can take it and draw conclusions and run with it if you want. But when getting questioned i know people give answers for many different reasons. Like if you ask a CEO, "CEO, Did you personally make a mistake going with webos as a flagship phone?" Well that's a question that is worded in a way to attack the CEO's competence with the phrase "personally make a mistake." When presented with that sort of question People get defensive and you can expect a stock answer of "no...blah blah blah." But rarely is the answer gonna be, "yeah i ****ed up as a ceo." So you can imagine an answer like, "No Webos was fine and a huge success." Well the follow up is along the lines of "how are you defining huge success, why did you quit." Because he could be claiming it was a huge success in that it served to turn a small profit, a large profit, broke even but kept them a float to roll out new LTE phones and services to get them to profitability, etc." Point is w/o context and follow up this is a vague soundbite that can be read a ton of ways and I don't have a full picture.

as for what the average customer needs. I'm sorry but if the average mobile phone consumer wanted webos they'd have bought it. They simply didn't. The average consumer isn't a phone enthusiast. They don't care about much of this stuff. I don't think at this point there's any salvaging of anything more then making open webos hackable onto other devices and a robust homebrew community,


Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
And they lost a TON of customers because of that decision.
Sprints got more customers now. They may have lost some diehard webos fans but that's offset by the tons of people that stayed and switched to evo and the tons of people that switched to iphones when they signed that deal.
__________________
You come at the king. You best not miss.

Last edited by SnotBoogie; 10/01/2012 at 10:34 PM.
SnotBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2012, 10:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned
 
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
I would say well over 1000 people, I know many and don't claim to know nearly all. Not saying they all went to new webOS devices, but went to better services.

Combine leaving webOS behind and adding $10 per line per smartphone, they lost us and others...
$10 per line for unlimited data? Well, damn, what a horrible deal when I could go pay for a capped plan on any other carrier!

Yes, I get that there are plenty of people that don't even use the 250MB allotment other carriers offer, but I'll still gladly take the $10 hit to not have to monitor (or even worry about) my usage at all, whether it be 100MB or 10GB in a month.

I just don't understand the rationale behind the gripes people have with it when the benefit clearly outweighs the cost, especially amongst carriers. It makes a great strawman, though.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2012, 06:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*
 
OldSkoolVWLover's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
Sprints got more customers now. They may have lost some diehard webos fans but that's offset by the tons of people that stayed and switched to evo and the tons of people that switched to iphones when they signed that deal.
There are people that left sprint for other than webOS as well, if we had left Sprint after Apotheker made his announcement, we would have gone to straight talk and saved even more money than we have already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
$10 per line for unlimited data? Well, damn, what a horrible deal when I could go pay for a capped plan on any other carrier!

Yes, I get that there are plenty of people that don't even use the 250MB allotment other carriers offer, but I'll still gladly take the $10 hit to not have to monitor (or even worry about) my usage at all, whether it be 100MB or 10GB in a month.

I just don't understand the rationale behind the gripes people have with it when the benefit clearly outweighs the cost, especially amongst carriers. It makes a great strawman, though.
My monthly bill is less and I have better phone selection now, I am no longer tied to the carrier for my phone options. In 15 months I have gone over my data cap once to the cost of $10 in 15 months. I have WiFi at work and home. I analyzed our monthly usage and saw that even when never using WiFi at work or home we weren't using enough data to justify an almost 20% monthly price increase. The $20 a month more I would have been paying has paid for at least one of our current phones.

Another thing I have come to love is that GSM unlocked devices show up as dumb phones, so carriers can't force certain packages/levels of coverage because of a certain phone like Sprint does. In the end we had been paying Sprint a high price plan for something we didn't need (way to many minutes), unlimited data was cool, but not needed for either of us and never came close to the lowest monthly minutes for a family plan.

The only folks I know of that stuck with Sprint is because they truly use a lot of data on a monthly basis. Knowing I wouldn't be going over data often (if at all) and knowing there is no "penalty" for overage so I wouldn't be paying extra per gig if I went over (the overage charge is the same per gig as it is if you have it on your plan already). The overage charges might be slightly different now with shared data, but shared data would cost us more than we are paying per gig right now (no need to look into it ATM).

If we had gone to VZW we would have been paying the same or less than we would have on Sprint and we left when VZW still offered unlimited data.


As I have said to many people it is all about individual needs, my needs dictated that sprint was not worth it. If we end up on straight talk next year we will be paying less than 2/3rds of what we would be paying Sprint.
__________________
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2012, 07:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
SnotBoogie's Avatar
 
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
There are people that left sprint for other than webOS as well, if we had left Sprint after Apotheker made his announcement, we would have gone to straight talk and saved even more money than we have already.
not saying people didn't leave for reasons other then sprint. I'm saying bottom line they added customers. But also if the argument is they lost customers by not having a webos phone, i'd guess not a material amount, and not as many as they added since getting rid of it. Plus like i said lots of people simply would rather stay with sprint for the cheaper monthly contract.
__________________
You come at the king. You best not miss.
SnotBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2012, 12:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*
 
OldSkoolVWLover's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
Plus like i said lots of people simply would rather stay with sprint for the cheaper monthly contract.
My point is that unless you have a lot of lines and/or use a lot of data Sprint isn't the cheapest any more in all scenarios. When we switched I did price comparison of the big 4 for what we needed (2 lines and at least 2 gigs on my line) AT&T came out to be the cheapest out of the 4 when accounting for the $10 per line fee. Prior to this I had been loyal to Sprint for a decade and brought my wife over to Sprint when we started dating.

Sprint *had* always been the best bang for your buck, when they started the per line surcharge it pushed them into the price ranges of AT&T and VZW. With AT&T I was able to drop our monthly minutes down lower than Sprint and actually save money.

As I said, I know this may not be the case for all, especially folks with many lines as per line charges start to add up on other carriers that you don't incur with Sprint.
__________________
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2012, 09:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
smooth3006's Avatar
 
Posts: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
And they lost a TON of customers because of that decision.
not to argue but define a ton? the majority of users they lost is because of their crippled, slow network. trust me as i left them for verizon a year & 1/2 ago.
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by SnotBoogie likes this.
Old 10/11/2012, 10:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*
 
OldSkoolVWLover's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
not to argue but define a ton? the majority of users they lost is because of their crippled, slow network. trust me as i left them for verizon a year & 1/2 ago.
Feel free to read my posts above, I believe I have clearly stated what I meant.

I will add there were some folks that switched to Sprint for the original Pre and quickly left when VZW and ATT got webOS.
__________________
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2012, 02:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
And they lost a TON of customers because of that decision.
Uhhh.... surely there's sarcasm here? /s
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0