webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open webOS 1.0 Is Arrive
Open webOS 1.0 Is Arrive
Like Tree96Likes

Old 09/28/2012, 12:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rnp

Open webOS 1.0 lands | webOS Nation

Well... what is the next step!

Best Regards...
Old 09/28/2012, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

what we do best....... wait.
Thanked by cujoq37, Rnp
Old 09/28/2012, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

It did look nice on the touch screen pc...

And there was some promise there of continued development from HP. Notice the focus on integration? Get this pc with OpenwebOS and use our cloud services...

Might not be dump and run after all.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2012, 01:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

<staff edit>

It's not purposed so much as all that for a reason. It could provide a base for phone, tablet, pc, etc... All the Apps and widgets go into the shell to fit the form factor it is getting used on.

After the announcement that Open would not support legacy hardware I assumed it would be a generic shell that can be filled by device specific developers. Looks like that is what has been released.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee

Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 09/28/2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: removed deleted quote
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2012, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Strange thing is that we don't have a default phone app, no Synergy etc (yet)? I guess we could package up the 3.0.5 phone app and install it? The demo video on Touchsmart PC showed quite some installed apps?
Old 09/28/2012, 01:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

What's missing from Open webOS 1.0: Nothing that can't be fixed | webOS Nation

Quote:
Open webOS 1.0 Is Arrive
and is dead.
wMarck90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2012, 02:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

i cant really see a future for this at the moment. Even A Homebrew community port would be far away from useable without sync, mojo apps or pdk support. This is a nice demo but in any way useable on a daily basis for a os running on a smartphone. And i want to use webos on a smartphone.
i Also cant see any device manufacturer to release a device with this os with so much stuff missing and so much own work put into it besides porting it. Android or firefox os seem to me as a better choice for those companies at the moment.

I think i have so say goodbye to webos in the future. Will use and love me pre3 until it breaks down but i dont see any smartphone with a full webos system that is capable to compete with the other players when this time comes. Its said
Sonic-NKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2012, 02:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

1 years of work to release a downgrade.
Old 09/28/2012, 02:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wMarck90 View Post
... maybe to you, not to me!

Open or not, My Pres continue to work... if the webOS is dead, why don't stop?

Best Regards...
Liked by johncc, mivoligo and RumoredNow like this.
Old 09/28/2012, 02:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

While some may see this as a "downgrade", you might recall that the vast majority of webOS is based on WebKit, and now it's using a very modern QTWebKit, so the underpinnings of the system have undergone significant upgrades and changes. No, not everything that came with the last version is available yet, but it takes time to upgrade -everything-.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by johncc, xandros9, cujoq37 and 6 others like this.
Old 09/28/2012, 02:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

well i see the biggest problem in no mojo or pdk support. And no plans for the first one. Lets face it, webos doesnt have that many apps, some awesome ones for sure but not that many.
Now im reading that no mojo app will work on open webos, looking at my apps thats arround 95 %.
its just not looking that great for me, i would love to see this sucess in any way but i cant see it right now
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 09/28/2012, 02:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

For commercial purpose webOS is dead. An OS without support to connect to a WiFi network and can't use Bluetooth.. What is?
Old 09/28/2012, 02:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Nice; they released a demo. Give 'em kudos for that. But while HP spins its wheels showing us what they hope WebOS someday will do, Apple and Google crank out device after device, upgrade after upgrade... and WebOS falls farther and farther behind.

My Pre3's still work great... but they're getting some age on them, and they were never even publicly released. Most folks have forgotten about WebOS but we few, and I fear WebOS's time is running out... and may already have.

As my old grandad used to say, 'Somebody either needs to ***t or get off the pot!'

Just my two cents. The demo looks great - but software I can't do anything with might as well be vaporware.

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
gihmley is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by PalmPixi_User23 likes this.
Old 09/28/2012, 02:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

One can take the Open webOS 1.0 modules, swap them from the webOS 3.0.5 SDK emulator or take the Mojo framework modules and Mojo should work, did with the beta.

Now for the phones/tablet compile the Open webOS parts and swap (just like LunaCE), sure there will be bugs, but as we have the source code one can fix those bugs.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 09/28/2012, 02:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

That will work for a community release but not for a commercial. I just cant understand why you would get rid of 80% of your backward compatibility ...
Old 09/28/2012, 02:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Stop being negative nancies, people are working very hard to get things together.

As far as the Mojo/Enyo thing goes, Enyo 2 and web standards are, for sure, the way forward. I don't know that maintaining backward compatibility is necessarily all that great of an idea. It wouldn't surprise me, either way, if the Mojo stuff came later, or if it didn't come at all. There are good arguments for both.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:

Last edited by eblade; 09/28/2012 at 02:50 PM.
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by johncc, Rnp, xandros9 and 9 others like this.
Old 09/28/2012, 02:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic-NKT View Post
That will work for a community release but not for a commercial. I just cant understand why you would get rid of 80% of your backward compatibility ...
I do not know the reasons, maybe copyrights patents, or other issues, but HP did.

We need to see if we can use the existing Touchpad/SDK bits with Open webOS 1.0.

HP has not responded as of yet, even if we create an App that downloads the webOS 3.0.5 doctor on device and extracts code, we would not be distributing code, just extracting from HP's provided software.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 09/28/2012, 02:51 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Stop being negative nancies, people are working very hard to get things together.
No negative, only truth. Don't want give any illusion to anyone. The only solution is a startup or a big company for a commercial project.
From a community project is really interesting.
Anyway i'm sorry, after one year i expected more. But is only my opinion.
Old 09/28/2012, 02:58 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgpopovich View Post
The original Palm PDAs didn't have WIFI or bluetooth so this should be just fine for a version 1.0.
Not today. You forgot there is out iOS, Android, WP, BB10, FirefoxOS, MeeGo Jolla version, Tizen.
I repeat, i'm not negative, i love webOS like you. But only a miracle can save it for commercial purpose.
Old 09/28/2012, 03:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post

As far as the Mojo/Enyo thing goes, Enyo 2 and web standards are, for sure, the way forward. I don't know that maintaining backward compatibility is necessarily all that great of an idea. It wouldn't surprise me, either way, if the Mojo stuff came later, or if it didn't come at all. There are good arguments for both.
I'm still waiting to see what you have been working on....
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, cujoq37 and kataran like this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0