webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open webOS 1.0 Is Arrive
Open webOS 1.0 Is Arrive
  Reply
Like Tree96Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10/01/2012, 07:28 AM   #81 (permalink)
Member
 
HelmutsKohl's Avatar
 
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
ares 2 has been out since then, and has been significantly improved since. Enyo went from having a 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 cycle to having the 2.0 alpha, beta, and release. So, all have been released as scheduled.
I've asked that in another thread before, but I'd like to do it again:

How do I get it started? I cloned the github-thing, configured and started it. If I open http://127.0.0.1:9009/ide/ares/index.html as the howto says I see the Storage Services and buttons to create/copy/cut/delete files and folders. If I switch to http://127.0.0.1:9009/ide/deimos/index.html I can only see an undone window.

If you could tell me how to get to the familiar interface - please let me know, I would appreciate that!

Last edited by HelmutsKohl; 10/01/2012 at 07:42 AM.
HelmutsKohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2012, 09:27 PM   #82 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmutsKohl View Post
I've asked that in another thread before, but I'd like to do it again:

How do I get it started? I cloned the github-thing, configured and started it. If I open http://127.0.0.1:9009/ide/ares/index.html as the howto says I see the Storage Services and buttons to create/copy/cut/delete files and folders. If I switch to http://127.0.0.1:9009/ide/deimos/index.html I can only see an undone window.

If you could tell me how to get to the familiar interface - please let me know, I would appreciate that!
I saw node.js as a requirement. You have that set up?
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2012, 11:00 AM   #83 (permalink)
Member
 
HelmutsKohl's Avatar
 
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
I saw node.js as a requirement. You have that set up?
Yes.
HelmutsKohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2012, 11:30 AM   #84 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Posts: 3,536
Yes,I was talking to you, and the last time you made that claim, I went and physically checked the iOS 4, iOS 5, android 2, android 4 and playbook browsers at acid, sunspider, and some html5 test I found, and the webOS browser on the touchpad scored better in everything except against ios5 and playbook

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
__________________
Author:
Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 10/02/2012, 01:09 PM   #85 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Yes,I was talking to you, and the last time you made that claim, I went and physically checked the iOS 4, iOS 5, android 2, android 4 and playbook browsers at acid, sunspider, and some html5 test I found, and the webOS browser on the touchpad scored better in everything except against ios5 and playbook

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Yeah. The browser on the Touchpad has an issue with some sites, but no more or less issues than Android browsers have. I'm testing out a Motorola Photon. Since the Photon is a dual core phone with specs similar to the Touchpad, I decided to do a comparison between its browser and the Touchpad. There was only one website during my test that the Photon loaded faster (using Dolphin). Also, Android browsers still have a terrible habit of loading mobile websites even though the user agent was set to desktop and I was on a wifi connection. I've done these test before in the past and they yeild similar results. The Touchpad's browser has its issues, like automatically refreshing websites at weird times. However, compared to similar Android devices, speed is not an issue.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 10/02/2012, 01:14 PM   #86 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Yes,I was talking to you, and the last time you made that claim, I went and physically checked the iOS 4, iOS 5, android 2, android 4 and playbook browsers at acid, sunspider, and some html5 test I found, and the webOS browser on the touchpad scored better in everything except against ios5 and playbook

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Eblade, these guys/gals seem to think that most of us only have, use, or have access to one type of device. They think that they can make statements like this and we can't somehow prove them wrong. Amazing....

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2012, 05:30 PM   #87 (permalink)
Member
 
chalx's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,151
Frankly, TochPad's browsing experience is not bad at all. At least not bad as presented on tech blogs. Touchpad's browsing for me is better than browsing web on Galaxy Tabs 10.1v and 8.9.
__________________
chalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, OldSkoolVWLover, k4ever and 2 others like this.
Old 10/02/2012, 05:52 PM   #88 (permalink)
Member
 
PalmPixi_User23's Avatar
 
Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Yes,I was talking to you, and the last time you made that claim, I went and physically checked the iOS 4, iOS 5, android 2, android 4 and playbook browsers at acid, sunspider, and some html5 test I found, and the webOS browser on the touchpad scored better in everything except against ios5 and playbook

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
I have to say I'm sorry Eblade, I'm not following you upon what you're saying on the claims that you accuse me of making about browser within WebOS. In a post written by 'rwhitby', he asked about which benefits could an update to port Isis Engine over to our legacy devices will do ? So I was just simply stating a few known facts(big difference from claims) about the lack of capability of stock browser in WebOS and those compared to the competition. So let's cut to the point of the subject shall we? The WebOS browser sorta put it out there, isn't as good as it should be in terms of speed and compatibility with HTML5 standards. And that's a shame because the Palm team always said that WebOS was built with web technology, and its sad to see that Playbook OS scores higher than the Stock browser found in WebOS.

And in case, you think that you doubled-checked upon the browser of WebOS against others in the market, let me show you a test that was performed about a year ago by "AnandTech'' on the WebOS browser and how it scored poorly against Android, iOS, and Blackberry 10.


Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
Eblade, these guys/gals seem to think that most of us only have, use, or have access to one type of device. They think that they can make statements like this and we can't somehow prove them wrong. Amazing....

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
Just to be respectful to you, k4ever, I think that the most thing that I would consider amazing will be your own statements in your post. And another thing prove what wrong ? You do not have to prove me wrong or anything, the test/prove is all there for everyone to see it. WebOS browsers needs to be improve big time and hope that somehow the Isis engine could get ported to the HP Touchpad tablet and we have a choice to surf the web without suffering any headaches.
__________________
Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.

Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 10/02/2012 at 08:10 PM.
PalmPixi_User23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2012, 07:40 PM   #89 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,623
Quote:
I have to say I'm sorry Eblade, I'm not following you upon what you're saying on the claims that you accuse me of making about browser within WebOS. In a post written by 'rwhitby', he asked about which benefits could an update to port Isis Engine over to our legacy devices will do ? So I was just simply stating a few known facts(big difference from claims) about the lack of capability of stock browser in WebOS and those compared to the competition. So let's cut to the point of the subject shall we? The WebOS browser sorta put it out there, isn't as good as it should be in terms of speed and compatibility with HTML5 standards. And that's a shame because the Palm team always said that WebOS was built with web technology, and its said Playbook OS scores higher in browser than WebOS.

And in case, you think that you doubled-checked upon the browser of WebOS against others in the market, let me show you a test that was performed about a year ago by "AnandTech'' on the WebOS browser and how it scored poorly against Android, iOS, and Blackberry 10.




Just to be respectful to you, k4ever, I think that the most thing that I would consider amazing will be your own statements in your post. And another thing prove what wrong ? You do not have to prove me wrong or anything, the test/prove is all there for everyone to see it. WebOS browsers needs to be improve big time and hope that somehow the Isis engine could get ported to the HP Touchpad tablet and we have a choice to surf the web without suffering any headaches.
I will not argue that webOS doesn't need more browsers. The more the better. Choice is a good thing. I will argue with you if you say that the reason the webOS needs more browsers is browser speed or standards compliance, because, when compared to the competition, that is not the case. Need more browsers for choice, good argument. Need more browsers because of a lack of speed or standards compliance (when that is not the case), not a good argument.

I actually welcome the thought of having another browser. I just don't think the situation is as dire as you paint it to be.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2012, 08:35 PM   #90 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
Yeah. The browser on the Touchpad has an issue with some sites, but no more or less issues than Android browsers have. I'm testing out a Motorola Photon. Since the Photon is a dual core phone with specs similar to the Touchpad, I decided to do a comparison between its browser and the Touchpad. There was only one website during my test that the Photon loaded faster (using Dolphin). Also, Android browsers still have a terrible habit of loading mobile websites even though the user agent was set to desktop and I was on a wifi connection. I've done these test before in the past and they yeild similar results. The Touchpad's browser has its issues, like automatically refreshing websites at weird times. However, compared to similar Android devices, speed is not an issue.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
I'm not going to get in the middle of spirited discussion of whether the touchpad browser is equal or not equal to competing andoid (which I have little experience with) or ipad browsers but there is room for improvement. When you don't have lots of apps, a superior browser will ease some of that pain. I can't always run more complicated sites - my bank (b of a) site, or mint.com or allscripts on my touchpad stock browser or advanced browser. So if webOS internals can do that through porting Isis, I would donate gladly specifically for that (or pay for an app) because that future proofs my touchpad a bit longer.
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: PalmPixi_User23
Old 10/02/2012, 10:10 PM   #91 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Posts: 3,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmutsKohl View Post
I've asked that in another thread before, but I'd like to do it again:

How do I get it started? I cloned the github-thing, configured and started it. If I open http://127.0.0.1:9009/ide/ares/index.html as the howto says I see the Storage Services and buttons to create/copy/cut/delete files and folders. If I switch to http://127.0.0.1:9009/ide/deimos/index.html I can only see an undone window.

If you could tell me how to get to the familiar interface - please let me know, I would appreciate that!
I'm not sure on that -- the enyojs.com forums have a forum specifically for Ares, and there should be plenty of help available there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
I'm not going to get in the middle of spirited discussion of whether the touchpad browser is equal or not equal to competing andoid (which I have little experience with) or ipad browsers but there is room for improvement. When you don't have lots of apps, a superior browser will ease some of that pain. I can't always run more complicated sites - my bank (b of a) site, or mint.com or allscripts on my touchpad stock browser or advanced browser. So if webOS internals can do that through porting Isis, I would donate gladly specifically for that (or pay for an app) because that future proofs my touchpad a bit longer.
A tip for mint.com -- Enter a bad loginid/password, and then it will take you to a login page that will actually work, and then the rest of the site mostly works. At least, it did 6 months ago or so. I haven't used mint in a long time, though, both of my banks made significant changes to their online services, and mint isn't doing anything about making them work again.

ppuser:

iOS5 came out just about a year ago, and as I said, I compared both iOS 4 and iOS5. 4 was a vastly different story than 5. 5 is almost on par with the PlayBook for capabilities, and blows the PlayBook away in speed. 4 was not so much on ability, but it was very fast. I'm sure that your link doesn't compare BB10 a year ago, considering that BB10 still isn't out

The PlayBook is far and away the best browser experience i've seen so far, it's such a pity that it's hardware is cheap and they rely on getting the bottom of the barrel of all the Android apps rather than building a coherent system with a coherent and consistent UI. Hopefully they've done that for BB10, but from what I hear the "long-press"/"tap-hold" 'gesture' is the key component of the BB10 interface, and that's just evil.

Anyway, let's get back to talking about Open webOS
__________________
Author:
Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 10/02/2012, 10:55 PM   #92 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 3,797
i will be disappointed if dkirker cannot get isis to work on touchpad.
just yesterday had to open ubuntu firefox to download an mp3 recording, surf some links on nbc news that didnt work in webos and also download from pogoplug. thanks for ubuntu for saving the day even if it is 11.x and flash is wonky.
like the speakers on the touchpad and hardware is only a year old so am not rushing to buy something new
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2012, 12:29 AM   #93 (permalink)
Member
 
chalx's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
i will be disappointed if dkirker cannot get isis to work on touchpad.
just yesterday had to open ubuntu firefox to download an mp3 recording, surf some links on nbc news that didnt work in webos and also download from pogoplug. thanks for ubuntu for saving the day even if it is 11.x and flash is wonky.
like the speakers on the touchpad and hardware is only a year old so am not rushing to buy something new
You pretty much explained what webOS browser lacks.
__________________
chalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2012, 03:34 AM   #94 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
I will argue with you if you say that the reason the webOS needs more browsers is browser speed or standards compliance, because, when compared to the competition, that is not the case. Need more browsers for choice, good argument. Need more browsers because of a lack of speed or standards compliance (when that is not the case), not a good argument.
I have to disagree here - I was using an IPhone 4 for more than one year before switching to a TouchPad and Preł. I like webOS' usability very much, am still using the Preł as my daily main phone and don't think about switching to another OS. But webOS' browser speed (and the PDF viewer) are the only and biggest disappointments (compared to what I have been used before). At least how I'm used to browse the web is many times slower on webOS than on IOS or Android.

I'll have to make some tests and post the results here, but my impression is that webOS' browser reloads a page much too often (e.g. after zooming or going back) which interrupts my "flow of reading". On the TouchPad I'm used to open many pages in background (manually using the stock browser's open in new card and switching back to the first/main card). Also it looks like the new cards are not loaded in background, I have to wait a few seconds until they become white before switching back to the first card. Then the content will be loaded in background. But switching back to the new card requires a tap on the card before the (already loaded) content is shown.
__________________
Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
T-Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2012, 08:11 AM   #95 (permalink)
Member
 
chalx's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,151
As and Ipad2, Touchpad, GT 10.1V and GT 8.9 owner, I would say Ipad is superior device in any way, but TouchPad is slightly better than two Tabs. On other hand, those two Samsung devices are orphan devices with no love from Samsung or community regarding new OS or high quality Android ports. Not only that stock browser is under performing on those tablets, even Dolphin or Firefox can't perform well. As an example, All tree browsers are crashing on IMD full site, with often reloads on all other sites.
Problem with TouchPad's browser exists there is no denial or doubt, but it is painted in public as unusable which is far from truth. It lacks in many departments, but there is other side to the story, because it can display some content that even Ipad can't.
__________________
chalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2012, 10:33 AM   #96 (permalink)
TJB
Member
 
TJB's Avatar
 
Posts: 140
left turn errrrrk
TJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2012, 12:48 PM   #97 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*
 
OldSkoolVWLover's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
I have to disagree here - I was using an IPhone 4 for more than one year before switching to a TouchPad and Preł. I like webOS' usability very much, am still using the Preł as my daily main phone and don't think about switching to another OS. But webOS' browser speed (and the PDF viewer) are the only and biggest disappointments (compared to what I have been used before). At least how I'm used to browse the web is many times slower on webOS than on IOS or Android.

I'll have to make some tests and post the results here, but my impression is that webOS' browser reloads a page much too often (e.g. after zooming or going back) which interrupts my "flow of reading". On the TouchPad I'm used to open many pages in background (manually using the stock browser's open in new card and switching back to the first/main card). Also it looks like the new cards are not loaded in background, I have to wait a few seconds until they become white before switching back to the first card. Then the content will be loaded in background. But switching back to the new card requires a tap on the card before the (already loaded) content is shown.
I am guessing the reloading you are experiencing is on the Pre3? The Pre3 has lack of available memory issues which leads to this (both the Veer and Pre2 are much better at this and I can't recall having browser refresh on TP often enough to even think about it). I do use advanced browser on TP with open new tabs in background and have no problem with that function at all.

The only problems I have with TP browser is a problem you will see with most/all touch only browsers, some web standards just don't work in a touch only environment, or don't work consistently. For example the TV guide web site works fine on the TP, but when changing times I usually have to zoom a little bit as to not "fat finger" the link above the times drop down box (or the arrows to skip hour vs day).
__________________
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2012, 07:58 PM   #98 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
i will be disappointed if dkirker cannot get isis to work on touchpad.
just yesterday had to open ubuntu firefox to download an mp3 recording, surf some links on nbc news that didnt work in webos and also download from pogoplug. thanks for ubuntu for saving the day even if it is 11.x and flash is wonky.
like the speakers on the touchpad and hardware is only a year old so am not rushing to buy something new
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
You pretty much explained what webOS browser lacks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
I have to disagree here - I was using an IPhone 4 for more than one year before switching to a TouchPad and Preł. I like webOS' usability very much, am still using the Preł as my daily main phone and don't think about switching to another OS. But webOS' browser speed (and the PDF viewer) are the only and biggest disappointments (compared to what I have been used before). At least how I'm used to browse the web is many times slower on webOS than on IOS or Android.

I'll have to make some tests and post the results here, but my impression is that webOS' browser reloads a page much too often (e.g. after zooming or going back) which interrupts my "flow of reading". On the TouchPad I'm used to open many pages in background (manually using the stock browser's open in new card and switching back to the first/main card). Also it looks like the new cards are not loaded in background, I have to wait a few seconds until they become white before switching back to the first card. Then the content will be loaded in background. But switching back to the new card requires a tap on the card before the (already loaded) content is shown.
Ok, now we are getting to the meat of the problems I see with the TouchPad browsers. I had to install a download manager just to download some files on the TouchPad. I also can't stand it when the browser refreshes itself. It does it for every browser window open (not just the one that initiated the refresh) which is highly annoying. The no-browser-refresh patch doesn't work with squat. I also don't like that you can't re-arrange bookmarks. Problem is that soon as I switch to Android, it has its little annoying idiosyncrasies that drive me crazier than using webOS' browser. I listed some of them above. Same goes for the iOS' browser. The lack of Flash is a major turn-off for me. The way that both of them (Android and iOS) do multitasking (task switching) as compared to webOS makes using browsers on them even more of a PITA.

I would love for open webOS to get Isis if it fixes the issues listed above. I would also like to see more browsers come to open webOS to give us more of a choice.
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2012, 08:08 PM   #99 (permalink)
Developer
 
rwhitby's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,569
Isis is not a silver bullet which fixes all the things you find wrong with the TouchPad browser. In fact, you'd probably find it to be a step backwards, as it is a technology preview, not a finished product.

-- Rod
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Thanked by Rnp, xandros9
Old 10/04/2012, 12:29 AM   #100 (permalink)
Member
 
chalx's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Isis is not a silver bullet which fixes all the things you find wrong with the TouchPad browser. In fact, you'd probably find it to be a step backwards, as it is a technology preview, not a finished product.

-- Rod
Ok, than we shall wait for Horus.
__________________
chalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0