Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 108
Like Tree96Likes
  1. #61  
    Open webos: its good for HP touchpad? Can this give us better performance e.x web browser,UI,and smoothness?
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by drgci View Post
    Open webos: its good for HP touchpad? Can this give us better performance e.x web browser,UI,and smoothness?
    You can port Isis browser. Installing Open webOS don't make any sense, because you loose the synergy services like Facebook, Yahoo and Skype. HP app catalog, Mojo and other things.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by wMarck90 View Post
    You can port Isis browser. Installing Open webOS don't make any sense, because you loose the synergy services like Facebook, Yahoo and Skype. HP app catalog, Mojo and other things.
    I would not dismiss compiling the Open webOS modules and replacing the webOS 3.0.5 modules, with the existing webOS 3.0.5 build one would still have the guts for Mojo and Palm profile, what would be the benefits, we have source code to fix/update...

    Look what webOSPorts has done with LunaCe that is just the LunaSysMgr module.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by wMarck90 View Post
    You can port Isis browser. Installing Open webOS don't make any sense, because you loose the synergy services like Facebook, Yahoo and Skype. HP app catalog, Mojo and other things.
    If someone port Isis browser for touchpad it will be great, come on developers
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by drgci View Post
    If someone port Isis browser for touchpad it will be great, come on developers
    What end-user features are you expecting from Isis that are not available in the stock browser? How will that make the use of your TouchPad significantly better on a day-to-day basis?

    I mean everyone likes pretty new things, but when there are limited free volunteer resources available, one needs to choose things to work on that will make a significant difference.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    khazoury, kill_dano and TJB like this.
  6. R_E
    R_E is offline
    R_E's Avatar
    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    What end-user features are you expecting from Isis that are not available in the stock browser? How will that make the use of your TouchPad significantly better on a day-to-day basis?

    I mean everyone likes pretty new things, but when there are limited free volunteer resources available, one needs to choose things to work on that will make a significant difference.

    -- Rod
    I fully respect your thoughts on volunteer resources, however I posit that the improved rendering and rendering speed of the new qt4 webkit code-base may make a significant difference (i.e. sites that used to fail/glitch could work).

    Disclaimer: As I do not have the ability to do any of the porting work, let it be know that I am posting this only as a suggestion of possible uses rather than a demand for free work. :P
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    I fully respect your thoughts on volunteer resources, however I posit that the improved rendering and rendering speed of the new qt4 webkit code-base may make a significant difference (i.e. sites that used to fail/glitch could work).

    Disclaimer: As I do not have the ability to do any of the porting work, let it be know that I am posting this only as a suggestion of possible uses rather than a demand for free work. :P
    Note that dkirker is actually working on this, but it's a hard slog.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  8. #68  
    Rod, webOS lack in app department pretty much and robust web browsing would compensate in some degree.
  9. R_E
    R_E is offline
    R_E's Avatar
    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    #69  
    Interesting news:

    Flash is at least partially working in Open webOS desktop build. It you let a page with flash load, it shows black where the flash should be, but you can hear the sound of the video of game in the background. when you click on the flash element, it crashes the browser. I have tried this for several sites.
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Rod, webOS lack in app department pretty much and robust web browsing would compensate in some degree.
    i can see that help users, but not sure how a new browser helps devs.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    i can see that help users, but not sure how a new browser helps devs.
    It doesn't in particular, but I believe it would address the issue that users currently have with Hulu, Netflix etc. Having the possibility to choose the "User agent string" would be even better in case the sites would only properly work with iOS or Android user agent.
    chalx likes this.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    i can see that help users, but not sure how a new browser helps devs.
    Use Apple's old claim that webapps are the way to go.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    I fully respect your thoughts on volunteer resources, however I posit that the improved rendering and rendering speed of the new qt4 webkit code-base may make a significant difference (i.e. sites that used to fail/glitch could work).

    Disclaimer: As I do not have the ability to do any of the porting work, let it be know that I am posting this only as a suggestion of possible uses rather than a demand for free work. :P
    All the more reason to DONATE, DONATE, DONATE!!!
    RumoredNow likes this.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    It doesn't in particular, but I believe it would address the issue that users currently have with Hulu, Netflix etc. Having the possibility to choose the "User agent string" would be even better in case the sites would only properly work with iOS or Android user agent.

    So having Open webOS pretend it's Android will allow us to watch Netflix? Hmm.... Wouldn't need to dual boot anymore.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by khazoury View Post
    All the more reason to DONATE, DONATE, DONATE!!!
    Uh yup...

    It is exactly why I bought apps and spread a few (small) donations around on "buy an app day" and why I donated again for the "webOS-a-thon"...

    I've tried to buy apps mostly from developers who still seem to be around this community...

    I'm not swimming in it and it wasn't easy to justify with my budget, but I can't program one line of code - it's important to support those who can.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Uh yup...

    It is exactly why I bought apps and spread a few (small) donations around on "buy an app day" and why I donated again for the "webOS-a-thon"...

    I've tried to buy apps mostly from developers who still seem to be around this community...

    I'm not swimming in it and it wasn't easy to justify with my budget, but I can't program one line of code - it's important to support those who can.
    I'm with you on that one.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    What end-user features are you expecting from Isis that are not available in the stock browser? How will that make the use of your TouchPad significantly better on a day-to-day basis?

    I mean everyone likes pretty new things, but when there are limited free volunteer resources available, one needs to choose things to work on that will make a significant difference.

    -- Rod
    With all due respect there rwhitby, it will make a big difference on a daily-day-to-day basis in a huge way that it's hard to describe or even let it write it down on this forum. The stock browser has a big problem that's slow at rendering pages and it's score wasn't up to HTML5 standards. Causing it to render pages inappropriately while also causing performances issues in speed, to have isis engine on the old WebOS 3.0.5 it will be like a miracle for users like myself that wish to once again enjoy using the TouchPad.

    Anyways, wish that I could have help or a bit of coding knowledge to assist you guys code things into the WebOS system.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  18. #78  
    That's not true, pp. Until chrome became the default web viewer in android jelly bean, the only faster/higher scoring mobiles were iOS 5 and PlayBook OS. It doesn't matter how many times you repeat that mantra, you can't make it true.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  19. #79  
    Could webOS be on mobile devices be like the way Ubuntu is on OEM PCs? While it's the most popular "alternative", the OS won't ship in a significant proportion compared to the other OS's out there.
    khazoury likes this.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    That's not true, pp. Until chrome became the default web viewer in android jelly bean, the only faster/higher scoring mobiles were iOS 5 and PlayBook OS. It doesn't matter how many times you repeat that mantra, you can't make it true.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    I don't know if you were talking to me or someone else, cause what you said about the browsers being fast/not fast doesn't go with what I was referring to(when I was talking about WebOS web browser). I was mentioning about the WebOS browser because it stinks badly, while its smooth when zooming-in or out all great an all. However, when you compare scores against competitors people will see that the engine browser in WebOS is outdated and scores the lowest in some of the test like HTML 5(scored 217) and Acid test (its scored was 92).

    A user on YouTube demonstrated scores when using Isis engine, that HP promised that it was coming to OpenWebOS..... the scores were a bit higher than the stock WebOS engine that its within use in WebOS 3.0.5. Again proving that whenever Isis could get ported to WebOS on legacy devices like the TouchPad that it could prove worthy to many users.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions