webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open webOS 1.0 Is Arrive
Open webOS 1.0 Is Arrive
Like Tree96Likes

Old 09/29/2012, 01:51 PM   #61 (permalink)

Open webos: its good for HP touchpad? Can this give us better performance e.x web browser,UI,and smoothness?
drgci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2012, 02:10 PM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgci View Post
Open webos: its good for HP touchpad? Can this give us better performance e.x web browser,UI,and smoothness?
You can port Isis browser. Installing Open webOS don't make any sense, because you loose the synergy services like Facebook, Yahoo and Skype. HP app catalog, Mojo and other things.
wMarck90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2012, 05:47 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wMarck90 View Post
You can port Isis browser. Installing Open webOS don't make any sense, because you loose the synergy services like Facebook, Yahoo and Skype. HP app catalog, Mojo and other things.
I would not dismiss compiling the Open webOS modules and replacing the webOS 3.0.5 modules, with the existing webOS 3.0.5 build one would still have the guts for Mojo and Palm profile, what would be the benefits, we have source code to fix/update...

Look what webOSPorts has done with LunaCe that is just the LunaSysMgr module.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2012, 02:00 AM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wMarck90 View Post
If someone port Isis browser for touchpad it will be great, come on developers
drgci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2012, 02:28 AM   #65 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgci View Post
If someone port Isis browser for touchpad it will be great, come on developers
What end-user features are you expecting from Isis that are not available in the stock browser? How will that make the use of your TouchPad significantly better on a day-to-day basis?

I mean everyone likes pretty new things, but when there are limited free volunteer resources available, one needs to choose things to work on that will make a significant difference.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kill_Dano, TJB and khazoury like this.
Old 09/30/2012, 03:10 AM   #66 (permalink)
R_E

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
What end-user features are you expecting from Isis that are not available in the stock browser? How will that make the use of your TouchPad significantly better on a day-to-day basis?

I mean everyone likes pretty new things, but when there are limited free volunteer resources available, one needs to choose things to work on that will make a significant difference.

-- Rod
I fully respect your thoughts on volunteer resources, however I posit that the improved rendering and rendering speed of the new qt4 webkit code-base may make a significant difference (i.e. sites that used to fail/glitch could work).

Disclaimer: As I do not have the ability to do any of the porting work, let it be know that I am posting this only as a suggestion of possible uses rather than a demand for free work. :P
R_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2012, 03:15 AM   #67 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_E View Post
I fully respect your thoughts on volunteer resources, however I posit that the improved rendering and rendering speed of the new qt4 webkit code-base may make a significant difference (i.e. sites that used to fail/glitch could work).

Disclaimer: As I do not have the ability to do any of the porting work, let it be know that I am posting this only as a suggestion of possible uses rather than a demand for free work. :P
Note that dkirker is actually working on this, but it's a hard slog.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: R_E
Old 09/30/2012, 04:29 AM   #68 (permalink)

Rod, webOS lack in app department pretty much and robust web browsing would compensate in some degree.
Old 09/30/2012, 06:39 AM   #69 (permalink)
R_E

Interesting news:

Flash is at least partially working in Open webOS desktop build. It you let a page with flash load, it shows black where the flash should be, but you can hear the sound of the video of game in the background. when you click on the flash element, it crashes the browser. I have tried this for several sites.
R_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2012, 06:50 AM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
Rod, webOS lack in app department pretty much and robust web browsing would compensate in some degree.
i can see that help users, but not sure how a new browser helps devs.
Old 09/30/2012, 08:27 AM   #71 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
It doesn't in particular, but I believe it would address the issue that users currently have with Hulu, Netflix etc. Having the possibility to choose the "User agent string" would be even better in case the sites would only properly work with iOS or Android user agent.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by chalx likes this.
Thanked By: chalx
Old 09/30/2012, 09:25 AM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
Use Apple's old claim that webapps are the way to go.
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2012, 11:18 AM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_E View Post

All the more reason to DONATE, DONATE, DONATE!!!
khazoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 09/30/2012, 11:22 AM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
It doesn't in particular, but I believe it would address the issue that users currently have with Hulu, Netflix etc. Having the possibility to choose the "User agent string" would be even better in case the sites would only properly work with iOS or Android user agent.

So having Open webOS pretend it's Android will allow us to watch Netflix? Hmm.... Wouldn't need to dual boot anymore.
khazoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2012, 11:26 AM   #75 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by khazoury View Post
All the more reason to DONATE, DONATE, DONATE!!!
Uh yup...

It is exactly why I bought apps and spread a few (small) donations around on "buy an app day" and why I donated again for the "webOS-a-thon"...

I've tried to buy apps mostly from developers who still seem to be around this community...

I'm not swimming in it and it wasn't easy to justify with my budget, but I can't program one line of code - it's important to support those who can.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2012, 11:37 AM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Uh yup...

It is exactly why I bought apps and spread a few (small) donations around on "buy an app day" and why I donated again for the "webOS-a-thon"...

I've tried to buy apps mostly from developers who still seem to be around this community...

I'm not swimming in it and it wasn't easy to justify with my budget, but I can't program one line of code - it's important to support those who can.
I'm with you on that one.
milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 09/30/2012, 07:46 PM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
With all due respect there rwhitby, it will make a big difference on a daily-day-to-day basis in a huge way that it's hard to describe or even let it write it down on this forum. The stock browser has a big problem that's slow at rendering pages and it's score wasn't up to HTML5 standards. Causing it to render pages inappropriately while also causing performances issues in speed, to have isis engine on the old WebOS 3.0.5 it will be like a miracle for users like myself that wish to once again enjoy using the TouchPad.

Anyways, wish that I could have help or a bit of coding knowledge to assist you guys code things into the WebOS system.
Old 09/30/2012, 09:20 PM   #78 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

That's not true, pp. Until chrome became the default web viewer in android jelly bean, the only faster/higher scoring mobiles were iOS 5 and PlayBook OS. It doesn't matter how many times you repeat that mantra, you can't make it true.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2012, 09:54 PM   #79 (permalink)

Could webOS be on mobile devices be like the way Ubuntu is on OEM PCs? While it's the most popular "alternative", the OS won't ship in a significant proportion compared to the other OS's out there.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by khazoury likes this.
Old 10/01/2012, 12:55 AM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
That's not true, pp. Until chrome became the default web viewer in android jelly bean, the only faster/higher scoring mobiles were iOS 5 and PlayBook OS. It doesn't matter how many times you repeat that mantra, you can't make it true.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
I don't know if you were talking to me or someone else, cause what you said about the browsers being fast/not fast doesn't go with what I was referring to(when I was talking about WebOS web browser). I was mentioning about the WebOS browser because it stinks badly, while its smooth when zooming-in or out all great an all. However, when you compare scores against competitors people will see that the engine browser in WebOS is outdated and scores the lowest in some of the test like HTML 5(scored 217) and Acid test (its scored was 92).

A user on YouTube demonstrated scores when using Isis engine, that HP promised that it was coming to OpenWebOS..... the scores were a bit higher than the stock WebOS engine that its within use in WebOS 3.0.5. Again proving that whenever Isis could get ported to WebOS on legacy devices like the TouchPad that it could prove worthy to many users.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0