webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open webOS 1.0 Is Arrive
Open webOS 1.0 Is Arrive
Like Tree96Likes

Old 09/28/2012, 10:11 PM   #41 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Ares 2.0 and Enyo 2.1 were expected to be released in April, Enyo 2.2 in July.

It's great what we've seen so far, but I'm a bit frightened if HPalm/gram will be able to continue the developing of there developer-products since some of the team are working for Google now.
ares 2 has been out since then, and has been significantly improved since. Enyo went from having a 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 cycle to having the 2.0 alpha, beta, and release. So, all have been released as scheduled.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 09/28/2012, 10:55 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wMarck90 View Post
Not today. You forgot there is out iOS, Android, WP, BB10, FirefoxOS, MeeGo Jolla version, Tizen.
I repeat, i'm not negative, i love webOS like you. But only a miracle can save it for commercial purpose.
There's no point in posts like this other than for you to say "I told you so" if it does flop... and...???
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by khazoury likes this.
Old 09/28/2012, 11:17 PM   #43 (permalink)

While I'm not going to say that WebOS is a dead man walking(operating system), I will do is voice my opinion to put a bit of bitter hatred to HP silly attempts with this new release of Open WebOS. For me the video of the WebOS running and saying things like hotel within the same sentence does not spell a bright future for WebOS under HP's hands. Where's all the exciting news that some of the WebOS team were mentioning was coming to OpenWebOS ? There's was nothing new there that we could see that will truly make it competitive against other mobile operating system like iOS, Android or even soon-to-be-release BBM 10.

One year HP had to rectify their mistake they made on WebOS with OpenWebOS, and what did they show up to this point ? Just bunch of codes that hackers and people with computer experience could tinkle but it has no kind of relevance to regular users like myself. For me its pathetic to see HP do this mess all over again, they may have delivered on the promise of the open sourcing of WebOS.... Yet what they deliver wasn't up to everyone standards including mine as well. During the demo video, WebOS was still lagging in performance and was slow running on that PC...maybe that's the reason that guy spent talking 95% percent of the video instead of showing WebOS running full course. Where's is the speed acceleration that HP promised or a faster browser ? nowhere to be seen

Many Apologist that defends HP would dare to say, city of Rome wasn't built in a day that may well be very true to this very day. However, HP has the resources to show how committed they truly are to WebOS to deliver an operating system that could give us hope that WebOS has a fighting chance to make a comeback. Sadly to say, as WebOS stands at the moment no third party manufacture will risk placing/selling a phone running on WebOS. Come on HP wake up and smell the coffee please...
Old 09/28/2012, 11:33 PM   #44 (permalink)

I'm not sure what you were expecting with the release of Open webOS. Open webOS means....literally ....the same webOS that we had 9 months ago.....except instead of it being hidden behind binary code...it is open so others can view the code, and be able to modify it to the extent of their abilities. They never said they were releasing webOS 4.0...which in that case.....you would be right in your expectations.
Thanked by RumoredNow, webOSnomad
Old 09/28/2012, 11:34 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
I think no matter what HP released you would see the "WebOS is dead" crowd remind us they are still around.
Yeah, you need to stop listening to them. They haven't been right yet. They said that the OS would not work on new hardware or it would take forever to get the OS working on new hardware or that nobody would take the time to get the OS working on new hardware. WebOS-Ports took the time and got it working on an Android phone in less than 6 hours. Imagine what they will do in 6 days or 6 weeks. Negativity adds nothing to an equation or a conversation.

Rod, you guys will be getting another donation from me on pay day (this Monday). I just activated a brand new Motorola Photon I had sitting in a box. If you can get it to work on it or an EVO 3D I will be a happy camper.
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover and kataran like this.
Old 09/28/2012, 11:42 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic-NKT View Post
well i see the biggest problem in no mojo or pdk support. And no plans for the first one. Lets face it, webos doesnt have that many apps, some awesome ones for sure but not that many.
Now im reading that no mojo app will work on open webos, looking at my apps thats arround 95 %.
its just not looking that great for me, i would love to see this sucess in any way but i cant see it right now
Of course it is not what you see today, but what Homebrew will do tomorrow! You can't limit future on the present, but on its potential, on its exponential, on its "future". You're so short sighted I doubt you are really a webOS user not to say lover. If you are, let this be a waking call.
ajguns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2012, 12:09 AM   #47 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Patience Grasshopper... Rome wasn't built in a day....

This *is* a Day 0 Pre-Alpha port remember....
Tom of course, just wondering what your ideas are around this?

Same goes with Mojo since so many apps are in Mojo still it would be silly when they don't work anymore? I'm quite sure you probably had this running already for a while (in some way), but NDA would not allow you to share this before the official release of 1.0 final ;-)

I understand if this is something you cannot share still due to NDA? Just wondering how you would see this all working going forward....
Old 09/29/2012, 12:11 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
While I'm not going to say that WebOS is a dead man walking(operating system), I will do is voice my opinion to put a bit of bitter hatred to HP silly attempts with this new release of Open WebOS. For me the video of the WebOS running and saying things like hotel within the same sentence does not spell a bright future for WebOS under HP's hands. Where's all the exciting news that some of the WebOS team were mentioning was coming to OpenWebOS ? There's was nothing new there that we could see that will truly make it competitive against other mobile operating system like iOS, Android or even soon-to-be-release BBM 10.

One year HP had to rectify their mistake they made on WebOS with OpenWebOS, and what did they show up to this point ? Just bunch of codes that hackers and people with computer experience could tinkle but it has no kind of relevance to regular users like myself. For me its pathetic to see HP do this mess all over again, they may have delivered on the promise of the open sourcing of WebOS.... Yet what they deliver wasn't up to everyone standards including mine as well. During the demo video, WebOS was still lagging in performance and was slow running on that PC...maybe that's the reason that guy spent talking 95% percent of the video instead of showing WebOS running full course. Where's is the speed acceleration that HP promised or a faster browser ? nowhere to be seen

Many Apologist that defends HP would dare to say, city of Rome wasn't built in a day that may well be very true to this very day. However, HP has the resources to show how committed they truly are to WebOS to deliver an operating system that could give us hope that WebOS has a fighting chance to make a comeback. Sadly to say, as WebOS stands at the moment no third party manufacture will risk placing/selling a phone running on WebOS. Come on HP wake up and smell the coffee please...
Remember that even though HP owned webOS (is open sourced now) and that they deliberately putted their money to pay people to open source it, webOS is not seen as part of HP near future. So Gram/webOS-ports or whoever will be in charge of developing open webOS, can deal separately with companies interested in entertaining the idea of having open webOS on their devices/business/etcetera. So, that's why the message in the video seem a little generic and not so HP specific. When open webOS gets something going on, then maybe HP will come back to it. Not the best feeling since we all hoped they would spend their big guns/bucks when they acquired PALM... But oh well, we have Homebrew community standing tall and showing us they are all for it! So lets support them with donations and expect some really nice/neat/amazing stuff as they alway do.
I BELIEVE in the HOMEBREW COMMUNITY!!! I'll keep donations constant as I can. LETS GO webOS LOVERS!!!

Last edited by ajguns; 09/29/2012 at 12:16 AM.
ajguns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2012, 12:36 AM   #49 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
I'm not sure what you were expecting with the release of Open webOS. Open webOS means....literally ....the same webOS that we had 9 months ago.....except instead of it being hidden behind binary code...it is open so others can view the code, and be able to modify it to the extent of their abilities. They never said they were releasing webOS 4.0...which in that case.....you would be right in your expectations.
no its not, many of the components are very different.

Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: sledge007
Old 09/29/2012, 02:15 AM   #50 (permalink)

Well its better than nothing. But where are we gonna get a phone to port it to that has a real keyboard and gesture area like the pre series phones. BB 10 maybe?

And hp is just lazy. Same as the touchpad version of webos, the cards are way too big, how can that be useful? They only need to be big enough to be able to tell what that is. Good thing internalz knows how to fix these things.

Off to donate
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2012, 04:15 AM   #51 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Stop being negative nancies, people are working very hard to get things together.

As far as the Mojo/Enyo thing goes, Enyo 2 and web standards are, for sure, the way forward. I don't know that maintaining backward compatibility is necessarily all that great of an idea. It wouldn't surprise me, either way, if the Mojo stuff came later, or if it didn't come at all. There are good arguments for both.
As long as devs are still use Mojo, like our new Whatsapp client for example (!), I'd say don't drop it yet.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2012, 05:56 AM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
no its not, many of the components are very different.

lol you're right...I'm tired....200 hours in the last 3 weeks at work.....14 yesterday. ..more today.
Old 09/29/2012, 08:07 AM   #53 (permalink)

as I've said
awesomeness will ensue
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover and webOSnomad like this.
Old 09/29/2012, 09:49 AM   #54 (permalink)

I personally see webOS becoming the ubuntu of mobile devices. Completely open sourced and forged by the webOS community and Gram. Eventually, it will run on most Android devices. So if you would like a webOS phone, pick your favorite android hardware and install webOS. Which for me, is absolutely amazing because I as a consumer can pick what ever hardware I want and not have to worry about what HP can dish out.
As far as webOS expectations being to high, this release (as said before) isn't the next revolutionary release. It is the same OS from a while back, with licensed parts replaced with open sourced parts and small modifications added that the community and Gram have added along the pathway. The big news about this is that webOS Ports can now start working their magic and port it to your devices. What does that mean you think? Hardware! What every webOS enthusiast dreams of: good hardware, new hardware.
webOS doesn't have much of a future 'commercially' as noted many times already. If you are expecting companies to run at webOS now to make a webOS device... stop expecting that. What you should be expecting (especially if you have a galaxy nexus like me) is webOS on your devices or devices that are easily accessible.
Liked by xandros9 and khazoury like this.
Old 09/29/2012, 10:29 AM   #55 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
One year HP had to rectify their mistake they made on WebOS with OpenWebOS, and what did they show up to this point ? Just bunch of codes that hackers and people with computer experience could tinkle but it has no kind of relevance to regular users like myself. For me its pathetic to see HP do this mess all over again, they may have delivered on the promise of the open sourcing of WebOS.... Yet what they deliver wasn't up to everyone standards including mine as well.
Man, you can't possibly be serious. You ignored everything and made up your own vision of what Open webOS was going to be at launch and then get mad when HP didn't deliver exactly what you wanted. We all know you hate HP, but don't start making up new reasons to hate them. That's just crazy.
Garrett92C is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by MudShark22 likes this.
Old 09/29/2012, 11:13 AM   #56 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
is it am or pm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Actually, it's a code. If you break the code, you might find something interesting to download. Or not. Who knows?

-- Rod
it's one minute to 13:37, which tells us they are near to have the 1337 OS.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9, MudShark22 and webOSnomad like this.
Old 09/29/2012, 11:43 AM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
I personally see webOS becoming the ubuntu of mobile devices. Completely open sourced and forged by the webOS community and Gram. Eventually, it will run on most Android devices. So if you would like a webOS phone, pick your favorite android hardware and install webOS. Which for me, is absolutely amazing because I as a consumer can pick what ever hardware I want and not have to worry about what HP can dish out.
As far as webOS expectations being to high, this release (as said before) isn't the next revolutionary release. It is the same OS from a while back, with licensed parts replaced with open sourced parts and small modifications added that the community and Gram have added along the pathway. The big news about this is that webOS Ports can now start working their magic and port it to your devices. What does that mean you think? Hardware! What every webOS enthusiast dreams of: good hardware, new hardware.
webOS doesn't have much of a future 'commercially' as noted many times already. If you are expecting companies to run at webOS now to make a webOS device... stop expecting that. What you should be expecting (especially if you have a galaxy nexus like me) is webOS on your devices or devices that are easily accessible.
Awesome post!
khazoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Rennat
Old 09/29/2012, 11:46 AM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
Man, you can't possibly be serious. You ignored everything and made up your own vision of what Open webOS was going to be at launch and then get mad when HP didn't deliver exactly what you wanted. We all know you hate HP, but don't start making up new reasons to hate them. That's just crazy.
and pointless
khazoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2012, 12:11 PM   #59 (permalink)

As for me, I'm finding it hard to get excited now I know they've dropped gestures. I realise that there was never going to be hardware support for a gesture area (since there's no hardware), but we've had virtual graffiti areas on old PalmOS products. I can only hope that such a thing could be developed as some kind of plugin later.

The biggest problem for me though is that NO ONE is making an android phone with a portrait sliding keyboard - nor seems to have any plans to (yes there was one released in Brazil that was a flop and withdrawn as far as I can tell). I'm pretty sure that most people would prefer a good physical keyboard over an on-screen one and I've never understood the reluctance of anyone but RIM and (formerly) Palm to make them, apart from the fact that a screen-only device is easier and cheaper. And sure, if you don't type much it's great.

Without gesture area and without the hope of a phone with a physical keyboard for webOS I have absolutely no idea what my next phone might be, and I'm back on my Pre plus now that my Pre3 died. I'm seriously worried.

I don't want to sound like a hater, I really don't. My hat goes off to the dedication and ingenuity of the webOS internals and ports team and I'm positive they can work wonders to improve it from this starting point - especially seeing what they've done with LunaCE. It's just on a phone, on-screen typing is worse than useless to me.
DaveyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2012, 01:50 PM   #60 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyBoy View Post
As for me, I'm finding it hard to get excited now I know they've dropped gestures. I realise that there was never going to be hardware support for a gesture area (since there's no hardware), but we've had virtual graffiti areas on old PalmOS products. I can only hope that such a thing could be developed as some kind of plugin later.

Without gesture area and without the hope of a phone with a physical keyboard for webOS I have absolutely no idea what my next phone might be, and I'm back on my Pre plus now that my Pre3 died. I'm seriously worried.
Have you been following LunaCE?
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0