webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Want webOS on Lumia 920? Tell Microsoft
Want webOS on Lumia 920? Tell Microsoft
Like Tree4Likes

Old 09/25/2012, 03:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Quite a few old Palm employees moved over to Nokia. Nokia would have some employees in support of providing an open bootloader, however, the problem lays with Microsoft. Microsoft is in control of the bootloader and deciding what to do with it. I suggest we tell Microsoft that we would like to see the Nokia provide an open bootloader for the Lumia 920.

Does anyone know what's the best way to contact Microsoft about suggestions/requests?

I don't see how an open bootloader could hurt Microsoft. Every extra phone that is sold to a customer who has the intention of not using the Lumia 920 for WP8 provides a very good opportunity for Microsoft to "convert" them to WP8.
i2y4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kataran likes this.
Old 09/25/2012, 04:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Erm ... huh? You mean like

"Hey, we are Microsoft, we are out to get a big as possible marketshare on the smartphone market and therefore want to have as many WinPhone Smartphones out as possible. Yes of course we would totally want to enable you to put something else on it!"

Hmmm ... no. Won't happen.
Old 09/25/2012, 04:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
Erm ... huh? You mean like

"Hey, we are Microsoft, we are out to get a big as possible marketshare on the smartphone market and therefore want to have as many WinPhone Smartphones out as possible. Yes of course we would totally want to enable you to put something else on it!"

Hmmm ... no. Won't happen.
Not with that attitude.

I think it's worth a shot, after all they did poach a lot of talent from webOS. Why not continue that by trying to poach the rest of the devs. They get to sell unlocked phones and count it as extra marketshare. Although the numbers won't even be significant enough to count. And if MSFT doesn't do it, then it just means we move to Android phones, the competition.
Old 09/25/2012, 04:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

I definitely wouldn't be holding my breath though.
Old 09/25/2012, 10:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
Not with that attitude.
"You can't fax glitter!" [Xander Crews, from Frisky Dingo] - YouTube

I think you'll fax glitter before Msft makes an exception to their bootloader policy...

Besides, Nokia is counting heavily on Win-Phone to pull their behind out of the fire. Why would they want to accommodate such a thing???
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2012, 02:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
"You can't fax glitter!" [Xander Crews, from Frisky Dingo] - YouTube

I think you'll fax glitter before Msft makes an exception to their bootloader policy...

Besides, Nokia is counting heavily on Win-Phone to pull their behind out of the fire. Why would they want to accommodate such a thing???
I wouldn't be bringing this up if Nokia and Microsoft were successful, however, Windows Phone and Nokia's attempts thus far have been a failure. Both companies are desperate to increase sales. Nokia has more desire to sell a phone with an open bootloader that webOS can use than any other company because of the amount of ex-Palm employees working there.

All I'm saying is that it's worth a shot. I'm not saying its going to happen.
Liked by kataran likes this.
Old 09/25/2012, 03:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
cgk

You should smash a lumia 920 with a hammer and then glue the bits over a palm pre - that is the only way you are going to do this.

Quote:
I'm not saying its going to happen.
Seriously it's not going to happen - Nokia aren't going to waste any time and fall out with Microsoft to satisfy the needs of a few hobbyists.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2012, 12:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

I think you have a better chance of having deviant sex with Bill Gate's wife, while you both watch Japanese p0_rn played back through AppleTV, on an unreleased Apple branded TV while lying on a bed made of 1934 $100,000 federal reserve notes, all inside a secret Apple money vault in Cupertino.

insert "so there's a chance joke" here ____________

Last edited by SnotBoogie; 09/26/2012 at 03:18 AM.
SnotBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2012, 12:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Not with that attitude.
Microsofts "attitude" is to sell Microsoft Products.

Quote:
I think it's worth a shot, after all they did poach a lot of talent from webOS. Why not continue that by trying to poach the rest of the devs. They get to sell unlocked phones and count it as extra marketshare.....
Again: how is selling WebOS devices increasing Microsoft marketshare? Microsoft does not sell iOS even if they could. They don't sell Android, even if they could. They don't sell hotdogs, shoes or toiletlids. They sell Microsoft OS and lately they sell tablets with Microsoft OS on it.

To believe that microsoft can make revenue or even earnings by selling anything that is not their product but a competitors is nonsense.
Old 09/26/2012, 03:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
Microsofts "attitude" is to sell Microsoft Products.

Again: how is selling WebOS devices increasing Microsoft marketshare? Microsoft does not sell iOS even if they could. They don't sell Android, even if they could. They don't sell hotdogs, shoes or toiletlids. They sell Microsoft OS and lately they sell tablets with Microsoft OS on it.

To believe that microsoft can make revenue or even earnings by selling anything that is not their product but a competitors is nonsense.
They wouldn't be selling webOS. They would be selling a Lumia 920 with WP8.
Old 09/26/2012, 03:28 AM   #11 (permalink)

I've had enough of the "never gonna happen" bs. I get the point and I'm not even saying I disagree with you... but that's not the reason for this thread.

I love how everyone knows what MSFT will say before they say it. It never hurts to ask.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO CONTACT MSFT WITH A SUGGESTION/FEEDBACK? (I could find no such topic on their website)
Old 09/26/2012, 03:29 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
Seriously it's not going to happen - Nokia aren't going to waste any time and fall out with Microsoft to satisfy the needs of a few hobbyists.
Again, like the title of this thread said... tell MSFT. How is Nokia going to have a fall out with MSFT if they aren't even involved in the discussion?
Old 09/26/2012, 03:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I think it's worth a shot, after all they did poach a lot of talent from webOS.
That makes as much sense as Ford hiring an old Oldsmobile engineer and expecting Ford to ask them to make new cars for Oldsmobile. If they work for Microsoft they aren't making devices to run HP software.

Quote:
I wouldn't be bringing this up if Nokia and Microsoft were successful, however, Windows Phone and Nokia's attempts thus far have been a failure. Both companies are desperate to increase sales. Nokia has more desire to sell a phone with an open bootloader that webOS can use than any other company because of the amount of ex-Palm employees working there.

All I'm saying is that it's worth a shot. I'm not saying its going to happen.
Seems a logic failure. If the idea is to increase sales it is extremely questionable to think adding webos, an OS that didn't sell well, will help in a material way. If Microsoft was going to allow dual booting they'd probably use Android as it's available and they sell. But Microsoft is primarily a software company. They are in the business of pushing their own software not other peoples.
Old 09/26/2012, 04:09 AM   #14 (permalink)

Microsoft is the worst company regarding support for open source software and the worst company regarding dealing with customers (they are pretty much rude to everyone - remember blackmailing Android phone-makers with a patent for "controlling the system").

I don't understand why you would wanna buy a device with their software on it in the first place.

The idea of asking Microsoft for a favor, as a customer, is just hilarious

Buy any other (non WP) phone and you'll have better chance putting webOS on it - and if you fail, you'll at least end up with a decent OS...
nodevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2012, 07:07 AM   #15 (permalink)

There's about as much chance of Microsoft unlocking the boot loader on a windows 8 phone as there is of them unlocking the boot loader on the Xbox360.
bearda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2012, 07:56 AM   #16 (permalink)

You've got a better chance of convincing Microsoft to let Nokia put MS-DOS on the 920.