Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
Like Tree4Likes
  1. i2y4n's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
       #1  
    Quite a few old Palm employees moved over to Nokia. Nokia would have some employees in support of providing an open bootloader, however, the problem lays with Microsoft. Microsoft is in control of the bootloader and deciding what to do with it. I suggest we tell Microsoft that we would like to see the Nokia provide an open bootloader for the Lumia 920.

    Does anyone know what's the best way to contact Microsoft about suggestions/requests?

    I don't see how an open bootloader could hurt Microsoft. Every extra phone that is sold to a customer who has the intention of not using the Lumia 920 for WP8 provides a very good opportunity for Microsoft to "convert" them to WP8.
    kataran likes this.
  2. #2  
    Erm ... huh? You mean like

    "Hey, we are Microsoft, we are out to get a big as possible marketshare on the smartphone market and therefore want to have as many WinPhone Smartphones out as possible. Yes of course we would totally want to enable you to put something else on it!"

    Hmmm ... no. Won't happen.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
  3. i2y4n's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    Erm ... huh? You mean like

    "Hey, we are Microsoft, we are out to get a big as possible marketshare on the smartphone market and therefore want to have as many WinPhone Smartphones out as possible. Yes of course we would totally want to enable you to put something else on it!"

    Hmmm ... no. Won't happen.
    Not with that attitude.

    I think it's worth a shot, after all they did poach a lot of talent from webOS. Why not continue that by trying to poach the rest of the devs. They get to sell unlocked phones and count it as extra marketshare. Although the numbers won't even be significant enough to count. And if MSFT doesn't do it, then it just means we move to Android phones, the competition.
  4. i2y4n's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
       #4  
    I definitely wouldn't be holding my breath though.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
    Not with that attitude.


    I think you'll fax glitter before Msft makes an exception to their bootloader policy...

    Besides, Nokia is counting heavily on Win-Phone to pull their behind out of the fire. Why would they want to accommodate such a thing???
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  6. i2y4n's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post


    I think you'll fax glitter before Msft makes an exception to their bootloader policy...

    Besides, Nokia is counting heavily on Win-Phone to pull their behind out of the fire. Why would they want to accommodate such a thing???
    I wouldn't be bringing this up if Nokia and Microsoft were successful, however, Windows Phone and Nokia's attempts thus far have been a failure. Both companies are desperate to increase sales. Nokia has more desire to sell a phone with an open bootloader that webOS can use than any other company because of the amount of ex-Palm employees working there.

    All I'm saying is that it's worth a shot. I'm not saying its going to happen.
    kataran likes this.
  7. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,371 Global Posts
    #7  
    You should smash a lumia 920 with a hammer and then glue the bits over a palm pre - that is the only way you are going to do this.

    I'm not saying its going to happen.
    Seriously it's not going to happen - Nokia aren't going to waste any time and fall out with Microsoft to satisfy the needs of a few hobbyists.
  8. #8  
    I think you have a better chance of having deviant sex with Bill Gate's wife, while you both watch Japanese p0_rn played back through AppleTV, on an unreleased Apple branded TV while lying on a bed made of 1934 $100,000 federal reserve notes, all inside a secret Apple money vault in Cupertino.

    insert "so there's a chance joke" here ____________
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 09/26/2012 at 04:18 AM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
    Not with that attitude.
    Microsofts "attitude" is to sell Microsoft Products.

    Quote Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
    I think it's worth a shot, after all they did poach a lot of talent from webOS. Why not continue that by trying to poach the rest of the devs. They get to sell unlocked phones and count it as extra marketshare.....
    Again: how is selling WebOS devices increasing Microsoft marketshare? Microsoft does not sell iOS even if they could. They don't sell Android, even if they could. They don't sell hotdogs, shoes or toiletlids. They sell Microsoft OS and lately they sell tablets with Microsoft OS on it.

    To believe that microsoft can make revenue or even earnings by selling anything that is not their product but a competitors is nonsense.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
  10. i2y4n's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    Microsofts "attitude" is to sell Microsoft Products.



    Again: how is selling WebOS devices increasing Microsoft marketshare? Microsoft does not sell iOS even if they could. They don't sell Android, even if they could. They don't sell hotdogs, shoes or toiletlids. They sell Microsoft OS and lately they sell tablets with Microsoft OS on it.

    To believe that microsoft can make revenue or even earnings by selling anything that is not their product but a competitors is nonsense.
    They wouldn't be selling webOS. They would be selling a Lumia 920 with WP8.
  11. i2y4n's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
       #11  
    I've had enough of the "never gonna happen" bs. I get the point and I'm not even saying I disagree with you... but that's not the reason for this thread.

    I love how everyone knows what MSFT will say before they say it. It never hurts to ask.

    DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO CONTACT MSFT WITH A SUGGESTION/FEEDBACK? (I could find no such topic on their website)
  12. i2y4n's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Seriously it's not going to happen - Nokia aren't going to waste any time and fall out with Microsoft to satisfy the needs of a few hobbyists.
    Again, like the title of this thread said... tell MSFT. How is Nokia going to have a fall out with MSFT if they aren't even involved in the discussion?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
    I think it's worth a shot, after all they did poach a lot of talent from webOS.
    That makes as much sense as Ford hiring an old Oldsmobile engineer and expecting Ford to ask them to make new cars for Oldsmobile. If they work for Microsoft they aren't making devices to run HP software.

    Quote Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
    I wouldn't be bringing this up if Nokia and Microsoft were successful, however, Windows Phone and Nokia's attempts thus far have been a failure. Both companies are desperate to increase sales. Nokia has more desire to sell a phone with an open bootloader that webOS can use than any other company because of the amount of ex-Palm employees working there.

    All I'm saying is that it's worth a shot. I'm not saying its going to happen.
    Seems a logic failure. If the idea is to increase sales it is extremely questionable to think adding webos, an OS that didn't sell well, will help in a material way. If Microsoft was going to allow dual booting they'd probably use Android as it's available and they sell. But Microsoft is primarily a software company. They are in the business of pushing their own software not other peoples.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  14. nodevel's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    #14  
    Microsoft is the worst company regarding support for open source software and the worst company regarding dealing with customers (they are pretty much rude to everyone - remember blackmailing Android phone-makers with a patent for "controlling the system").

    I don't understand why you would wanna buy a device with their software on it in the first place.

    The idea of asking Microsoft for a favor, as a customer, is just hilarious

    Buy any other (non WP) phone and you'll have better chance putting webOS on it - and if you fail, you'll at least end up with a decent OS...
  15. bearda's Avatar
    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    #15  
    There's about as much chance of Microsoft unlocking the boot loader on a windows 8 phone as there is of them unlocking the boot loader on the Xbox360.
  16. #16  
    You've got a better chance of convincing Microsoft to let Nokia put MS-DOS on the 920.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

    ...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
  17. #17  
    unbelievable.....

    Bill Gates is not the selfish self centered *** wipe he use to be

    Companies can change nothing is set in stone.....

    i2y4n was just asking for a chance

    have we all given up hope...

    .the 920 would make a bad ***** webOS device
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
    DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO CONTACT MSFT WITH A SUGGESTION/FEEDBACK? (I could find no such topic on their website)
    Here you go:
    https://twitter.com/windowsphone

    Feature Suggestions: Hot (16461 ideas)

    But trust me, you better not contact them with that suggestion.

    Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    unbelievable.....

    Bill Gates is not the selfish self centered *** wipe he use to be

    Companies can change nothing is set in stone.....

    i2y4n was just asking for a chance

    have we all given up hope...

    .the 920 would make a bad ***** webOS device
    Bill Gates? What Bill Gates has to do with that? He's not even in charge at MS for years now.
    Companies dont change in order to give competitors advantage
    We're talking abt business not abt relief and hope.
    Never wonder why Nokia killed their own promising OS?
    Never wonder why Nokia own OS (Symbian belle, Meego) wont run on Lumia hardware?
    Let's say MS unlock the bootloader, how do you solve with the closed source drivers?
  19. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,371 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
    Again, like the title of this thread said... tell MSFT. How is Nokia going to have a fall out with MSFT if they aren't even involved in the discussion?
    Sorry I misread it, asking Microsoft to do it is an even bigger waste of time - you might as well Steve Ballmer if he likes to smoke crack.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
    I've had enough of the "never gonna happen" bs. I get the point and I'm not even saying I disagree with you... but that's not the reason for this thread.

    I love how everyone knows what MSFT will say before they say it. It never hurts to ask.

    DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO CONTACT MSFT WITH A SUGGESTION/FEEDBACK? (I could find no such topic on their website)
    Fair enough...

    I dare say Google has lots of information on that very topic: contacting Microsoft.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=micr...hrome&ie=UTF-8

    If you want a direct line to the man who makes the bootloader lockdown decision I don't believe that is available to the average consumer.

    It isn't really clear why you are so determined that Nokia's 920 is THE candidate we should support getting OpenwebOS ported to... I mean there are phones with mega-spec coming out all the time that would require a lot less work for a developer to port to.

    Truly; asking Microsoft to unlock the bootloader on one phone model is like trying to swim up Niagara Falls... You are fighting a huge force determined to push in the opposite direction of what you envision happening. There is no incentive for them to do so. They thrive on lockdown for mobile. It would be the same as asking Apple to free up iPhone 5 for ports.

    What exactly is the reason Nokia Lumia 920 and no other will serve??? What is so irresistibly exclusive to that model???
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions