webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Want webOS on Lumia 920? Tell Microsoft
Want webOS on Lumia 920? Tell Microsoft
Like Tree4Likes

Old 09/26/2012, 12:12 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vity Traff View Post
Not quite what I was looking for, but thanks for the info.
i2y4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2012, 12:20 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Fair enough...

I dare say Google has lots of information on that very topic: contacting Microsoft.
https://www.google.com/search?q=micr...hrome&ie=UTF-8

If you want a direct line to the man who makes the bootloader lockdown decision I don't believe that is available to the average consumer.

It isn't really clear why you are so determined that Nokia's 920 is THE candidate we should support getting OpenwebOS ported to... I mean there are phones with mega-spec coming out all the time that would require a lot less work for a developer to port to.

Truly; asking Microsoft to unlock the bootloader on one phone model is like trying to swim up Niagara Falls... You are fighting a huge force determined to push in the opposite direction of what you envision happening. There is no incentive for them to do so. They thrive on lockdown for mobile. It would be the same as asking Apple to free up iPhone 5 for ports.

What exactly is the reason Nokia Lumia 920 and no other will serve??? What is so irresistibly exclusive to that model???
The links google provide are only for support with existing products.

You stand less chance (of an already slim chance) if you ask for a company wide change in policy. It is much easier to ask for one exception to the rule. HTC already offers better phones for Android that they provide open bootloaders for. Idk about Samsung. Then there is Nokia. Nokia is the most likely to support selling a "developer" device, given the permission from MSFT.
i2y4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2012, 12:27 PM   #23 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
The links google provide are only for support with existing products.

You stand less chance (of an already slim chance) if you ask for a company wide change in policy. It is much easier to ask for one exception to the rule. HTC already offers better phones for Android that they provide open bootloaders for. Idk about Samsung. Then there is Nokia. Nokia is the most likely to support selling a "developer" device, given the permission from MSFT.
920 is an existing product... They must be building up stock for initial release. I dare say the production line has been rolling on it for quite some time...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2012, 01:48 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kataran View Post
unbelievable.....

Bill Gates is not the selfish self centered *** wipe he use to be

Companies can change nothing is set in stone.....

i2y4n was just asking for a chance

have we all given up hope...

.the 920 would make a bad ***** webOS device
Bill Gates has never been a selfish Self centered *** wipe. He's been one of the world great philanthropists he's put countless low income kids through schools and invested enormous sums of money to low income schools specifically i remember him giving about 20 million to schools in Oakland California.

But Bill Gates in on the Board. He does not run day to day operations of Microsoft. And companies don't change and become nonprofits. They work for shareholders. They have a legal duty to act in those interests. And this doesn't really advance there interests in anyway.

regardless the idea that microsoft is gonna take advice from random people sending them emails, letters etc or suggestions from people that can't even find the right people to contact about adding an OS nobody outside of this forum is asking for is delusional.

But hey craziness amuses me. So here's an easy suggestion. Make a linked in profile and find the person you need to reach, possibly whoever's running the Entertainment and Devices division at Microsoft and contact them. They still aren't going to make it easy to put webos on a phone though. And if they did, people would put Android on it i'd bet.

Last edited by SnotBoogie; 09/26/2012 at 02:07 PM.
SnotBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/27/2012, 12:37 PM   #25 (permalink)

Microsoft is the same company, who after partnering with IBM to build OS/2 as the successor PC OS to DOS+Win3.1, went and released Windows 95 instead....and then threatened to cut off any PC manufacturers from ever getting OEM license to Windows if they ever shipped a PC with an alternative OS or even a PC with no OS so the user could install what he/she wanted.

They view the phone market as a huge new business and there is no way they are going to make it easy for anyone to replace Windows 8 on a phone.

You can certainly ask Microsoft to allow Nokia to unlock the boot loader, but be prepared to at best, be turned down. At worst, to be laughed at, ridiculed, and then turned down.
NCCaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2012, 01:47 AM   #26 (permalink)
cgk

That reminds me - what happened to phoenix international?
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by SnotBoogie likes this.
Old 09/28/2012, 03:46 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
That reminds me - what happened to phoenix international?
Became poets and moved production to twitter
Old 09/28/2012, 12:23 PM   #28 (permalink)

Perhaps, once you have sorted that out you could ask somebody in Apple if the wouldn't mind unlocking the boot loader on some of their Apple products for us? They own the hardware, so they'd definitely be making cash; win win for all of us!
Preman_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Balooz
Old 09/28/2012, 12:50 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preman_ie View Post
Perhaps, once you have sorted that out you could ask somebody in Apple if the wouldn't mind unlocking the boot loader on some of their Apple products for us? They own the hardware, so they'd definitely be making cash; win win for all of us!
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Yeah, like they could use making just a wee bit more!!!!

khazoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2012, 02:10 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khazoury View Post
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Yeah, like they could use making just a wee bit more!!!!
Preman_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 04:58 AM   #31 (permalink)

I am very happy with my Veer, but I bought a used (not really used) Lumi 920.
I Like the shape and the features (camera, NFC, Nokia Maps, very responsive), but I miss really the WEBOs useability.

You can switch to a overview of all opened apps, but I try to push it up to close a card: No reaction...
I have click as often "back" as deep i am in the app to close it finally.
I want to phone someone and press the first letter of first name and first letter of last name: no response!

This are only two examples.
I don't miss the useability of Windows 8 in WEBOS, but otherwise this is the case. (also notification center, costumizationability, tiltet touchstone (magnet),...)
This is somehow sad.

Because the other stuff I like about Lumia is more related to the hardware (response-time, camera, chips, display) and Nokia support (musik, Maps) than to windows.

Lukeda
Lukeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 02/11/2013, 06:52 AM   #32 (permalink)

Don't waste your time man. Ain't happening.
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0