webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > OpenWebOS on linuxonandroid on HTC EVO 4G LTE
OpenWebOS on linuxonandroid on HTC EVO 4G LTE
Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By gfdos.sys
  • 1 Post By craigdamico

Old 09/24/2012, 11:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Reserved for Step by Step instructions and Downloads
gfdos.sys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/24/2012, 11:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Here is the Question:

Can OpenWebOS beta -- which runs on desktop ubuntu 12 (x86 not x64) be compiled to run on ubuntu 12 for ARM?

Additional info on my Qualifications before we proceed:
Worked for Corel Supporting Wordperfect Suite product "CorelCentral" which used palmConduit to sync PIM data with PalmPilot -- did extensive work to get this functioning for training and testing with a palm pilot emulator.
Owner of: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 600, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pixi, Palm Pre2
When Power button stopped working on my Pre 2, I knew there was only so many times the keyboard slider would allow me to get the device to wake.... and power on via plugging in power cable was going to eventually take its toll on the usb port.....

The Device I'm using to try to answer this question is the HTC EVO 4G LTE.

I'm posting this here for posterity and so any who have the WebOS Love still can see it --- note alot of this is going to be linux/android/ technical.... so I appologize for that but it is a work in process.... Not reinventing the wheel here... just trying to answer that question -- and if the answer is good, others will no doubt want to do it too!

Here is how I'm working on trying to answer that question:
--Back to the question: Open WebOS on ubuntu 12 ARM?
Q1. Need ubuntu 12 ARM on a device.
A1. linuxonandroid has a ready image that will give me a 3.5GB ubuntu 12 ARM installation with aprox 750+ MB free...

Q2. Requirements for compiling Open WebOS on ubuntu 12 desktop state 4GB space free needed.....
SO... Looking at Specs of HTC EVO 4G LTE:
Internal "Main memory" is 16GB:
that is partitioned off...aprox 2GB main "os" space, 10GB of internal "Virtual" sdcard, then my additional 16GB class 10 sdcard shows up as external-sd.
AND... linuxonandroid ubuntu 12 ARM image is 3.5GB... but only aprox 750+MB is free... so:

Q2a. How do I get additional space in the ubuntu 12 ARM installation running on my HTC EVO 4G LTE?
GIVEN: I'm running CM10 JellyBean on my HTC EVO 4G LTE rather than stock.... and sdcards, virtual or otherwise on android are typically formatted vfat (fat32) so that when you plug them in to USB they can mount for file transfer, etc.

GIVEN: vfat(fat32) allows max file size of around 4GB.... I'd prefer to have a little more breathing space if possible
GIVEN: I've had or worked on older devices with android (Samsung Moment, LG Optimus S, Samsung Epic 4G, HTC EVO 4g, HP Touchpad) I recall some one of those allowed for ext2/3/4 on the sdcard
TRIED: Back up "virtual sdcard" (internal to phone) and changing that to ext4
RESULTS: While I can get it to go to ext4, it has to be manually mounted after each boot, AND some android programs NEED the sdcard to be vfat to run properly, AND plugging USB in will not allow access to this space in windows (might work in linux, didn't try)
CONCLUSION: Might work, but to complicated for many people if trying to reproduce this process and still be able to use the device as a daily driver phone...

GIVEN: Alternative suggested to me by user om4 to repartition the internal space on the phone leaving a smaller internal virtual sdcard that was vfat, and create an additonal partition and format that as ext4, and use that for storing .img file or install ubuntu directly to that partition
INITIAL RESPONSE: Super complicated --- might work, hard to duplicate, too easy for a noob to brick a device this way.... and I learned a moral lesson from WebOS Internal GURU Rod Whitby when someone bricked a pre and returned it to store under warranty, resulting in restrictions on releases of certain webos patches: WHAT I DO AFFECTS PEOPLE -- I don't want Open WebOS to be looked at in a bad light by Sprint, or any other carrier, because some noob tried a complicated method I suggested, bricked their device, and tried to pass it off as a defective device under warranty back to Sprint...... THIS HAS to be less complicated, and easy to reproduce. (Thanks Rod for your patience and wisdom)

A2a: Try adding additional space to ubuntu distro by adding an additional "virtual" drive
GIVEN: *My* interpretation/understanding of HOW linuxonandroid gets ubuntu 12 to work on Android devices:
linuxonandroid dev provides "ubuntu.img" which is a pre-compiled ARM("binary" if you will) version of ubuntu 12, that is mounted as a "loop" device (check out wikipedia for more info -- basically appears as a "virtual hard drive" to android's version of linux.) and it mounts that and then uses chroot (again check wikipedia for more info) to make andoid boot this.
After all that.... you fire up a vnc viewer right on the phone, and you are able to access ubuntu running on your ARM baised smart phone.
IDEA: Looking at how linuxonandroid boot script runs, Can I make a second loop device (virtual) and mount a second .img file to that.... and THEN mount that to a directory in ubuntu 12, and use that as space to compile WebOS
RESULTS: Initially, Yes.... see more info below...

PROCEDURE: To get two images mounted in ubuntu 12 ARM using linuxonandroid....
GIVEN: I haven't done all the research... but I'm fairly certain you can create .img files using dd somehow, but then you have to mount, partition, format, etc.... COMPLICATED...
TRY: Take a clean copy of the ubuntu.img that ships with linuxonandroid, rename it, and modify the boot script to create an additional loop device, mount the second image on that boot device, then mount that to an additional mount point in ubuntu (in my example I'm mounting it to /webOS)
RESULTS: Got this to work.... but now I have 2 copies of everything....

WORKING ON NEXT: do the research and document the way to reformat/erase/wipe the contents of the second loop device

WHY A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS A DANGEROUS THING: I tried deleting one of the directories on the mount... and it appears to have links to real directories on my actual device.... deleting the contents, appears to delete the contents of the actual device.... need to work on finding the command line tool I can use to reformat the device (removing the links to directories, without removing the actual directories they are linked to)

DISCLAIMER: I know much about a lot of these things, but I have learned from the open source community to ALWAYS exercise caution when doing things like this. While this may all seem like a simple exercise to some, and like complete giberish to others, I STRESS and Encourage that anyone doing ANYthing like this EXERCISE EXTREME caution, AND -- If you brick a device in the process, ACCEPT THE CONSEQUENSES of your actions..... IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD a replacement device.... (nor afford the inconvienience of being without your daily driver device).... DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME kids.

FINALLY: Yes I know this is a lot of info, and this is by no means a complete process or guide... I just wanted this idea out there, so other people know its being tried, and for discussion.... Some parts of the forum have been like a Tomb... I'm using my crazy idea to liven my part of the Tomb up

Last edited by gfdos.sys; 09/24/2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Add additional work discription and clarifications
Liked by Rnp, karstenskov, stuartguthrie and 2 others like this.
Old 09/25/2012, 07:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wow !! ..this post is Awesome !!

..Good luck with this, & I am looking forward to reading about your progress !!

Craig
(..I Love WebOS.. & I absolutely LOVE my 3 HP-TouchPads !! )
craigdamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by stuartguthrie likes this.
Old 09/26/2012, 05:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

If our just trying to do a POC right now why not just mount an NFS directory on another machine and run off of that? The file system image should be the least of your concerns.
bearda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/27/2012, 12:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearda View Post
If our just trying to do a POC right now why not just mount an NFS directory on another machine and run off of that? The file system image should be the least of your concerns.
I guess for a ProofOfConcept I could.... but I do most of my playing while mobile more living dangerous...
and that would tie me down to the area where the nfs was.....

So I'm chatting with the linuxonandroid dev in irc now.... but until I finish with him, here is my new plan of attack:
Q2a. How do I get additional space in the ubuntu 12 ARM installation running on my HTC EVO 4G LTE?
A2a: Try adding additional space to ubuntu distro by adding an additional "virtual" drive
GIVEN: Doing more research on linuxonandroid, the directory where the ubuntu.img is stored is mounted inside linux at /root/cfg. If I add an additional .img to that folder I can try to mount it inside ubuntu.

NOTE: My REAL eventual PREFERRED plan would be to get this mounting both the ubuntu.img and webOS.img as loop devices, and have the bootscript mount them both so inside ubuntu they are available as devices.
Like I said I'm asking the dev how to do that in irc now...

ALTERNATIVE PLAN I'M USING WHILE WAITING TO FIGURE OUT PREFERRED PLAN:
1)install Complete Linux Installer.
2)get ubuntu12 full img downloaded and unzip into /sdcard/ubuntu
3)make blank 4GB using dd command (tried this on phone, and seek doesn't seem to work right, so It was going to take like 48hours to actually write out zeros to a 4GB file.... easier to make it on a pc, zip it up then send it to the phone and unzip)
4)format new blank 4GB image
5)Make a zip back up of new blank formatted webOS.img
6)boot ubuntu
7)mount blank 4GB image at /webOS

NOTE: REAL PREFERRED plan is same as alternate plan except for step 7.... I'd prefer to mount it in the bootscript, rather than in a script inside of ubuntu distro.

More to follow....
Old 09/27/2012, 03:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

So Just FYI:
build-desktop version of webos (https://github.com/openwebos/build-desktop) doesn't compile under ubuntu 12 for ARM

After installing all prereqs for it in linuxonandroid using ubuntu 12 ARM on HTC EVO 4G LTE,
When starting the build script it fails on line 174. Something about cannot run executable....
Looking further up, it is trying to run luna binaries from tarballs.....
Yeah and they were probably precompiled for x86.... so no go on the build-desktop version

SO NEXT:
TRY: build-webos version instead (https://github.com/openwebos/build-webos)

Had to create SSH keys for my phone with github.....done
git cloned....done
installed prereqs from script included with git clone....done
configure the build for qemuarm emulator and fetch the Git submodule sources....working

more to come...
Old 09/27/2012, 08:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfdos.sys View Post
So Just FYI:
build-desktop version of webos (https://github.com/openwebos/build-desktop) doesn't compile under ubuntu 12 for ARM

After installing all prereqs for it in linuxonandroid using ubuntu 12 ARM on HTC EVO 4G LTE,
When starting the build script it fails on line 174. Something about cannot run executable....
Looking further up, it is trying to run luna binaries from tarballs.....
Yeah and they were probably precompiled for x86.... so no go on the build-desktop version

SO NEXT:
TRY: build-webos version instead (https://github.com/openwebos/build-webos)

Had to create SSH keys for my phone with github.....done
git cloned....done
installed prereqs from script included with git clone....done
configure the build for qemuarm emulator and fetch the Git submodule sources....working

more to come...
build-webos has been built for a number of platforms, but doesnt contain a gui there is no luna. Reason being that there are parts needed in order to build luna that arent open yet and therefore havent been released, so you end up with a kernel that boots to a busybox. I have done this...

Last edited by creepingmee; 09/27/2012 at 08:04 PM. Reason: autocorrect foiled me
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2012, 02:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
build-webos has been built for a number of platforms, but doesnt contain a gui there is no luna. Reason being that there are parts needed in order to build luna that arent open yet and therefore havent been released, so you end up with a kernel that boots to a busybox. I have done this...
Wow! What an awesome thread! :-)

@GFdos.sys - It's great to see that you've taken this on as a personal project. Is the HTC One X similar to the Evo? I have a HTC One X that I'd love to see Open webOS on. I don't like the virtual keyboard, but I love the screen, sound and camera (and the quad-core processor is very speedy too!)

@CreepingMee - Will Luna come with the final build that is going to be released later this month? Will we have virtual keyboard support for smartphones?

Stu :-)
stuartguthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2012, 06:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
build-webos has been built for a number of platforms, but doesnt contain a GUI, there is no Luna. Reason being that there are parts needed in order to build luna that aren't open yet, and therefore, havent been released
But then, how does "LunaCE" work? Weel, it does because it only runs on the TuchPad, which obviously already has a full webOS setup (including the original "LunaSysMgr"). So those still closed parts must be in the rest of webOS, not in LunaCE. Are those identified yet? Aren't we talking video drivers, flat out?

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2012, 11:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
But then, how does "LunaCE" work? Weel, it does because it only runs on the TuchPad, which obviously already has a full webOS setup (including the original "LunaSysMgr"). So those still closed parts must be in the rest of webOS, not in LunaCE. Are those identified yet? Aren't we talking video drivers, flat out?
LunaCE works because it *is* the UI, and that is all it is. OpenWebOS is not the same thing as CE, which is really just the user interface, as that is the source code that was released. OpenWebOS is just not complete yet.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2012, 12:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Could we build LunaCE for android and just run it as a launcher?
blm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2012, 05:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

If you get webOS running on the Evo lte I will donate to you!
rocklee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2012, 08:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Well I'm stuck.... I do all the downloading, and get the following error after attempting make webos-image:
cd BUILD-qemuarm && time make CONTINUOUS_BUILD_MARK= BBFLAGS='' webos-image # component webos-image for qemuarm
/bin/sh: 1: time: not found
make: *** [qemuarm/webos-image] Error 1277

Even now I just retryed now that 1.0 is officially launched... same error.
I'll have to do some research and find out why.... but also noticed readme.MD now says 40gb space required instead of 4gb. If that is true...this may be over before it starts... I'd need a 64gb external SD card and this would never run internally.... vfat has a 4gb per file limit.

I understand what you are saying about it being command line only and no GUI, but I'm kinda confused by that because all links even from open webos page talking about open webos 1.0 running point to that git source as the distro.... so something doesn't add up. I can't even get it that far....

More when I find it...
Old 09/29/2012, 08:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartguthrie View Post
Wow! What an awesome thread! :-)

@GFdos.sys - It's great to see that you've taken this on as a personal project. Is the HTC One X similar to the Evo? I have a HTC One X that I'd love to see Open webOS on. I don't like the virtual keyboard, but I love the screen, sound and camera (and the quad-core processor is very speedy too!)
As far as I understand it the HTC evo 4g lte IS sprints special look and feel for the HTC one x line. Having looked into it, other than the cosmetics, not sure what is really different.... all the other specs are similar to the Verizon version of the one x.

Either way what I'm doing is android dependant and if it works (eventually) should be reproducable on any phone that the linuxonandroid works on.... I think the one x is on that list.
Old 09/29/2012, 08:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Well I'm stuck.... I do all the downloading, and get the following error after attempting make webos-image:
cd BUILD-qemuarm && time make CONTINUOUS_BUILD_MARK= BBFLAGS='' webos-image # component webos-image for qemuarm

I'll have to do some research and find out why.... but also noticed readme.MD now says 40gb space required instead of 4gb. If that is true...this may be over before it starts... I'd need a 64gb external SD card and this would never run internally.... vfat has a 4gb per file limit.

I understand what you are saying about it being command line only and no GUI, but I'm kinda confused by that because all links even from open webos page talking about open webos 1.0 running point to that git source as the distro.... so something doesn't add up. I can't even get it that far....

More when I find it...
Have you asked for help from the webOS-ports folks? They have some really good developers that might be able to help you out. Hit them up in their IRC channel (#webOS-ports) on Freenode.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2012, 11:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
Have you asked for help from the webOS-ports folks? They have some really good developers that might be able to help you out. Hit them up in their IRC channel (#webOS-ports) on Freenode.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
Not yet... but I have a number of questions for them... not just what/how to fix that problem.... but seeing as they got the "OE" (open embedded) working on galaxy nexus... they will be able to clarify the other question about GUI on build-webos.... or if there is some different git source for all that.
Old 10/03/2012, 02:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

So after a bunch of research and help from webos ports, and a few other devs, this is how I'm seeing the state of things:

There are 3 ways to go about doing what I'm trying to do:
1. try to get desktop-build to work on ARM
-- perils here are this code was ment for x86 (32bit) there is no way to know if this will work when compiled natively on ARM.... plus compile times may be in the DAYS range, because of the computing power of the CPU

2. try to figure out the error I'm getting trying to compile build_webos compiling it right on device --- OR compile that right on pc using OE, and move it over, IF -- IF size may be larger than the 4GB I'm working with.... mabey even like up to 60GB, may Require me to have an external 64GB SDCard and partitioning to do that (since phone wants first partition to be vfat.... and then mounting.... blah blah blah I learned earlier in the thread)

3.Get an OpenWebOS.img (OE) built for ARM, and then use the same methods as linuxonandroid (or work more with the dev on linuxonandroid to add the support right into linuxonandroid) The challenge here would be getting vnc server compiled/installed inside OpenWebOS, so accessing the gui from vnc would be possible. (thanks Garfonso for the idea in post 19 below)

4. wait for other groups to release their reproducable steps on how to build for OE (openembeded) which will run directly on the phone.... there might be a possibility of dual boot like on touch pad, but that will require in the mean time looking into actual OE (openembedded) drivers for the REAL physical hardware on my device (HTC EVO 4G LTE)

Finally I will mention that while webos ports is working on the Galaxy Nexus as a first device, and If I follow path 4 to make it work on the HTC EVO 4G LTE, this doesn't preclude the possibility that another group isn't already working to port webos to other devices, as the nature of OE (openembedded) is just that a compatability layer for multiple devices to be able to run webos, and that will work as well as the drivers created/found/developed for openembedded on the device in question.

-=-=-=-=-

Now I have paths before me.... and a poem comes to mind about the road less traveled.... along with the irony that once its traveled more.... its no longer the road less traveled

-=-
gfdos
If I put 2 pieces of gingerbread around some froyo, does it make a LO-FAT Ice Cream Sandwich?

Last edited by gfdos.sys; 10/04/2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Add additional possible path
Old 10/03/2012, 03:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

i have the original year or two old EVO 4G, and I'll be trying to figure out how to get owos running on it when I return home this weekend.

The September update to build-webos does add Luna to the system, however, it doesn't fully compile yet for ARM depending on the processor configuration.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2012, 04:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfdos.sys View Post

More when I find it...
Don't confuse the memory you need to build (40gb) with the memory that is needed for the running system in the end... also I think that the 4gb required space, that you write about, includes many linux stuff, that already is inside linuxonandriod...

I like your idea. It resolves many of the driver issues quite elegantly

Maybe it is more feasibly to build a open embedded version of webos for the CPU that is inside the HTC EVO (I suggest looking into cross compiling, now ) and try to do the chroot tricks of linuxonandroid for your full open webos image? I think that should work and resolve some of your memory issues... of course you would still need the vncserver for the vncviewer trick (I didn't know they were using vnc... is this a guess by you or is this really fact? ).
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2012, 08:42 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
Maybe it is more feasibly to build a open embedded version of webos for the CPU that is inside the HTC EVO (I suggest looking into cross compiling, now ) and try to do the chroot tricks of linuxonandroid for your full open webos image? I think that should work and resolve some of your memory issues... of course you would still need the vncserver for the vncviewer trick (I didn't know they were using vnc... is this a guess by you or is this really fact? ).

The "vnc trick" is from linuxonandroid dev --> the ubuntu image he built includes vncserver, so you can run vncviewer on the phone to "see" the gui of ubuntu.

While I like your Idea here of taking the OE image and trying to chroot it like linuxonandroid does, I'd have to get vncserver running/compiled inside the Open webOS image to do that..... I like that Idea too, so I'll add it to the list...

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0