webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Ideas I have to make webOS better from my Samsung Galaxy Experience
Ideas I have to make webOS better from my Samsung Galaxy Experience

Old 09/24/2012, 06:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

These are in no particular order, and I will add to this thread as I come up with new ones.

Built in message on lock screen.
Example: If found please call (###) ###-####. It isn't going to guarantee safe return of your phone, but it's something.....or whatever message you want to put there.

Multi-color notification LED, fully customizable by color, whether it flashes or not, speed of flashing, assigned to whatever app/notification, and duration.

Maps, maps, maps. No delay whatsoever and network independent. While I can appreciate 72ka's hard work on his Google Maps, the Android version is bang-on, right on the money, and can also locate where that one couldn't.

I really like pattern-unlock. Probably under patent, but it's a good one.

I'm not much of a barcode scanner, but I am playing a bit with QR codes, and there's no delay at all. It captures and processes the code instantly.

Calculator, the stock known webOS isn't that great. I bought Two-Line Calculator, and it works as it should. No missed button presses, and it keeps a running total for example, 8+756+9743+2.....being able to see where you are in a series of additions is pretty desireable....especially when you have a long list of totals, and lose your place for whatever reason.

Keypad contact list in phone app. Being able to type 6453 brings up Mike....or 22766 brings up Aaron. You get the idea.

LED flashlight...built right in.

Automatic photo uploads when you get home from your day out. Whatever pictures I took during the day get uploaded to DropBox as soon as I connect to WiFi. This is also configurable to do so on network data, but I'd rather not use my data for this.

Alarm clock. Has a built in gentle wakeup...configurable to any specified time, prior to the real alarm going off., which also has it's own volume control. Have built in repeat schedule, fully customizable by days of the week.

Built in data usage, with an option to set day of the month your phone resets itself for billing, and also ability to set a warning cap for when you get close to your limit.

micro SD card slot...you never enough memory.

Ability share media files via DLNA.

Clock app with following built in Alarm, World Clock, Stopwatch, Timer.

Video App, when you open it, I'm seeing 5 thumbnails and they are all playing. If I had more videos, there would probably be more.. Also you can start a video, minimize it, move it around to wherever you want, and say write an email, while watching your video.

Last edited by sledge007; 09/24/2012 at 07:29 AM.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/24/2012, 06:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

I agree with the calculator, there is one good calculator in the app catalog but its ugly as sin. What annoys me about the webos video player is landscape only, I never like to turn phone sideways
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/24/2012, 06:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

The videos are all playing sound at the same time too? Or they all silent

Have to say maps don't excite me that much, maybe if I travel a lot
Old 09/24/2012, 07:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

On the other side, you certainly see all the shortcomings of webOS. However, give me all of the above with the elegance of webOS and I'd be in mobile phone heaven.

Alas. Just a dream... Fading away....

Damn you hp.
MDsmartphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2012, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

I wonder what samsung is doing why these galaxy phones screens are so dark.

We played the same video on the gs2 and 3 and an htc evo and the evo looked normal and the galaxy phones looked like nite time all the time. And that's with brightness maxed out. Or is there a secret
Old 09/27/2012, 05:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
I agree with the calculator, there is one good calculator in the app catalog but its ugly as sin. What annoys me about the webos video player is landscape only, I never like to turn phone sideways
The one I was actually talking about was twoCalc by mikagika, ltd (guessed the name last time). I found it was a very responsive calculator...so much so that I couldn't believe the difference between what was offered as stock. It is also customizable with pre-made themes (no pun intended ), or you can make your own color scheme. It's was worth paying the $2 for me.

Quote:
The videos are all playing sound at the same time too? Or they all silent

Have to say maps don't excite me that much, maybe if I travel a lot
No multiple sounds on videos....that would be a little ridiculous...lol. To be honest...I don't really need a GPS. I know my city very well, and the surrounding areas. I move construction equipment back and forth across the city, and my phone rings constantly with people asking me when I will be there, how long, etc, etc...It's nice just to give them a quick answer without actually having to think, that's for the most part, accurate.
Quote:
I wonder what samsung is doing why these galaxy phones screens are so dark.

We played the same video on the gs2 and 3 and an htc evo and the evo looked normal and the galaxy phones looked like nite time all the time. And that's with brightness maxed out. Or is there a secret
Auto dim was off? I didn't sit there and compare phones in the store so I don't know how much of a difference you're talking about. I do find in the daylight with my polarized sunglasses on, that it is a little tricky to see sometimes, but normal glasses I can read it fine. Almost the same degree as looking at a TouchPad in portrait with them on, but not quite as bad....(Although that isn't the case in landscape with the TouchPad).
Old 09/27/2012, 05:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
On the other side, you certainly see all the shortcomings of webOS. However, give me all of the above with the elegance of webOS and I'd be in mobile phone heaven.

Alas. Just a dream... Fading away....

Damn you hp.
Unfortunately yes.....fading away. It was a hell of a ride though! My first smartphone..Pre- ....the never-ending love/hate relationship, and this website that kept me from throwing it against the wall, out the window, in the garbage, under my truck tires....on more than 2 dozen (or more) occasions.

Who knows, maybe once webOS goes open source in a few days,.....the FINAL deadline..... they will be able to turn it into a GUI skin for any OS, similar to the way Sense, or TouchWiz is a skin for Android. I'd be ok with that. I had (semi) hoped for ACL to come to light, but never held much faith that it was actually going to happen, based on the complete lack of communication....the odd post here and there from "Anita" wasn't enough to convince me whole-heartedly that it was a "done-deal".

All that aside, I learned quite a bit from the experience....I didn't have a whole lot of choice, did I? (Almost too much experience....I'm the "go-to" guy when my friends have issues with their phones....regardless of OS). The community here is/was fantastic ....albeit very quiet compared to a couple of years ago.

I still like my webOS TouchPad
Old 09/27/2012, 06:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

I saw the video thing, its pretty cool.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0