webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Has everyone forgotten about open webOS?
Has everyone forgotten about open webOS?
  Reply
Like Tree25Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09/20/2012, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
boovish's Avatar
 
Posts: 746
In almost every forum in which someone says android has true multitasking I tell webOS does it 3000 times better. They almost always reply with "Whats webOS?"
__________________
HP Think Beyond event link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9 and kataran like this.
Old 09/20/2012, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by boovish View Post
In almost every forum in which someone says android has true multitasking I tell webOS does it 3000 times better. They almost always reply with "Whats webOS?"
its slowly getting there. It takes time.
blm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2012, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by boovish View Post
In almost every forum in which someone says android has true multitasking I tell webOS does it 3000 times better. They almost always reply with "Whats webOS?"
Quote:
The earliest preemptive multitasking OS available to home users was Sinclair QDOS on the Sinclair QL, released in 1984, but very few people bought the machine. Commodore's powerful Amiga, released the following year, was the first commercially successful home computer to use the technology, and its multimedia abilities make it a clear ancestor of contemporary multitasking personal computers.
linux ofc did so in the 60's but for many home computer users it was the amiga that got there first in the 80s for "true multitasking", and it did it amazingly well with amazingly low ram and processing speeds compared to other OS's.

But how many have even heard of the dear old amiga and its multitasking??? most/more have used PC's and ofc wrongly thing that winblows "invented" multitasking first, this is likely how webOS will be treated, altho it does it all better and more user friendly, the true winner will likely be whoever is left over time or whoever outnumbers everyone else.

give it time and "everyone" will think apple invented true tablet/smartphone multitasking devices
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Matt_H likes this.
Old 09/20/2012, 05:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Moderator

 
sledge007's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,337
Amiga....heh! I had an Atari ST....ok, I've already said too much.....


<ducks and runs>
__________________
Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ewl88 and T-Pad like this.
Old 09/20/2012, 06:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Amiga....heh! I had an Atari ST....ok, I've already said too much.....


<ducks and runs>
/me Collects firewood

__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2012, 07:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
etphoto's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,194
Linux has been around for years and i would suggest a very large number of people have no clue what it is.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2012, 01:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Buddy1969's Avatar
 
Posts: 546
In Europe, this is standard for about 10 years now.

It happened first somewhere between 2003 and 2005 when the sales guy in a big electronic supermarket, standing amidst shiny mobile phones didn't know what I was talking about when I asked him if he has Palm devices for sale.
"Palm? What's that?"
WebOS devices where never sold in big parts of europe (not in Austria, not in Swizerland, which are small but very wealthy countries, and not in the east of europe, where the market was largely open to new products then). Palm as well as HP made the typical american mistake: not knowing that there is a world beyond the border and not knowing anything about the market there (if they had a map, Europe would be half blank on it, showing "there be dragons" in big warning letters)
They paid.
Only my close friends know WebOS. I got my devices from germany. There were many people around me who were really interested in the Phone and WebOS, but seeing as they couldn't get any, they went for the iPhone or a Droid.

So, to come back to the OPs question: we here in europe already have this situation. Everyone will ask you here "Web-O-What?".

Sad but true.
__________________
War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
Buddy1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Jozz, chalx and mivoligo like this.
Old 09/21/2012, 04:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
In Europe, this is standard for about 10 years now.

It happened first somewhere between 2003 and 2005 when the sales guy in a big electronic supermarket, standing amidst shiny mobile phones didn't know what I was talking about when I asked him if he has Palm devices for sale.
"Palm? What's that?"
WebOS devices where never sold in big parts of europe (not in Austria, not in Swizerland, which are small but very wealthy countries, and not in the east of europe, where the market was largely open to new products then). Palm as well as HP made the typical american mistake: not knowing that there is a world beyond the border and not knowing anything about the market there (if they had a map, Europe would be half blank on it, showing "there be dragons" in big warning letters)
They paid.
Only my close friends know WebOS. I got my devices from germany. There were many people around me who were really interested in the Phone and WebOS, but seeing as they couldn't get any, they went for the iPhone or a Droid.

So, to come back to the OPs question: we here in europe already have this situation. Everyone will ask you here "Web-O-What?".

Sad but true.
Here in the Netherlands only the Pre (1) was officially released. None of the other webOS devices was officially for sale over here. I always get questions why I don't have WhatsApp, or why I don't play $randomAndroidgame. I must say, when I show my phone people like the card features, like sliding up to close. I'm still very happy with my Pre3 and Touchpad.
Jozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by drgci likes this.
Old 09/21/2012, 05:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
jcmarcos's Avatar
 
Posts: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
/me Collects firewood
/me remembers platform wars back then. Those were the days, when computers were different among them, and we young technochilds liked to brag about its advantages, hiding its deficiencies. I think I carry on with that youth truma, as the main reason why I like webOS is for the sake of being different - and fully accept the things it does bad, or lacks.

And the people aronud it are the best!

Back to topic, I don't think Open webOS has fallen into forgotten territory (it already was, though). Alright, regular people loose interest as a week passes after the big company making the announcement, but that's all. I can't wait to see, later this month, a new release of it with a user interface. Meanwhile, LunaCE is an interesting twist. In many respects, webOS people could be very hapy if webOS became just a user interface for Android. That's not what I want, but it can help.
__________________
Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2012, 08:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
kataran's Avatar
 
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by boovish View Post
In almost every forum in which someone says android has true multitasking I tell webOS does it 3000 times better. They almost always reply with "Whats webOS?"
a co-worker of mine goes thru a text and pic battle with me at least twice a week over iOS vs webOS and to this day he still won't square off side by side on functionality ....last night he told me that webOS doesn't exist anymore so he shouldn't bother ...I told him open webOS is alive and well and coming back strong...

then he started on the iOS 6 bandwagon on how they now have FB integration!!


I got a good laugh out of that one
__________________
32G Touchpad
iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
kataran is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9 likes this.
Old 09/21/2012, 10:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
johnsonx42's Avatar
 
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Amiga....heh! I had an Atari ST....ok, I've already said too much.....


<ducks and runs>
power, brother. I still have my Atari ST's in a box somewhere (an original 520ST and a Mega ST2). I also still have my Atari 800. I wonder if any of them would still work?
johnsonx42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sledge007 likes this.
Old 09/21/2012, 10:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
power, brother. I still have my Atari ST's in a box somewhere (an original 520ST and a Mega ST2). I also still have my Atari 800. I wonder if any of them would still work?
old stuff seems built to last, my amigas still work (stock ones neways, the bolt-on 3rd party hardware i got later gradually started dying on me).

know a fair few people with hardware of some kind (not just computers) thats older than me and they seemingly still work.

mind you the hardware was also a tad bulkier back then as well.
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2012, 06:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
xandros9's Avatar
 
Posts: 952
People didn't know about it to begin with, well, normal people
__________________
HP Think Beyond Event - http://youtu.be/VnjwG7Z8AM8
m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4
> Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 >
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2012, 08:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Moderator

 
sledge007's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
power, brother. I still have my Atari ST's in a box somewhere (an original 520ST and a Mega ST2). I also still have my Atari 800. I wonder if any of them would still work?
520 ST here as well.. Many, many, many hours on Falcon F16...With a high school friend on an old 1200 baud modem.. Those were the days
__________________
Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2012, 11:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
SnotBoogie's Avatar
 
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by boovish View Post
In almost every forum in which someone says android has true multitasking I tell webOS does it 3000 times better. They almost always reply with "Whats webOS?"
i think the problem is for the average normal consumer they don't care much about multitasking. The other phones, android, ios, wp7 multitask good ENOUGH for them. It's not an issue. Like ask iphone users if they'd like webos style multitasking and they'll say "yeah." But ask them if they want it enough to switch and they'll say "no way." Same for Android users. It's simply not that important to most users. The distinction between multitasking and "true" multitasking to them is not important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
I don't think Open webOS has fallen into forgotten territory (it already was, though)...Meanwhile, LunaCE is an interesting twist....
i agree with this. i think for most people Webos is already forgotten. out of sight out of mind and for many it's been largely out of sight since the pre minus days. I've rarely seen a pre 2 and that was in a store and never seen a Pre 3. For many its been out of sight and out of mind since the pre minus stopped being sold

Interesting you mention Luna. Sort of indicative of the difference between webos and other platforms to me. In that i rarely hear the other platform websites discussing that sort of technical stuff, or at least it surely doesn't come up as often in comments and columns as i see it on webosnation. I'm not that knowledgeable about the technical stuff like Luna, Enyo and stuff like that. I think most consumers are closer to me in that respect. Like i honestly couldn't tell you what the equivalent of Luna or Enyo is in WP7, IOS or Android I simply am not sure what they do (don't actually care to be fair). I just know there's an OS called webos, WP7, ios and Android. I don't get much deeper unless forced to. I think that's a bit telling about the user base of the webos platform. They like the technical stuff. And often these things get mentioned. I've read iMore and rarely do they have articles about or mention technical stuff like developer kits or springboard or something. just a different sort of user base less interested in that stuff.
__________________
You come at the king. You best not miss.

Last edited by SnotBoogie; 09/22/2012 at 12:00 AM.
SnotBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary and RumoredNow like this.
Old 09/22/2012, 02:14 AM   #16 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
RumoredNow's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
...Interesting you mention Luna. Sort of indicative of the difference between webos and other platforms to me. In that i rarely hear the other platform websites discussing that sort of technical stuff, or at least it surely doesn't come up as often in comments and columns as i see it on webosnation. I'm not that knowledgeable about the technical stuff like Luna, Enyo and stuff like that. I think most consumers are closer to me in that respect. Like i honestly couldn't tell you what the equivalent of Luna or Enyo is in WP7, IOS or Android I simply am not sure what they do (don't actually care to be fair). I just know there's an OS called webos, WP7, ios and Android. I don't get much deeper unless forced to. I think that's a bit telling about the user base of the webos platform. They like the technical stuff. And often these things get mentioned. I've read iMore and rarely do they have articles about or mention technical stuff like developer kits or springboard or something. just a different sort of user base less interested in that stuff.
I've got to agree. I'm right there with you in that a lot of the deep tech goes past me and most consumers don't care to get educated on such in-depth matters.

However, I think I have done way more technical delving and modding on my webOS phones than I would have been able to on any other platform or would have felt comfortable doing.

That is a huge part of what drew me to webOS: the fact that it is designed to be modified, that the premise underlying the OS is one of individual freedom and control. This great community helps enable that. There are some very smart people working on making webOS the best it can be and the design of the OS allows consumers to learn and experiment in a very forgiving way.

I have two webOS phones and have modified them both and continue to tinker with them. By contrast, I have an Android tablet that I am kind of afraid to mod for fear of messing it up and I honestly can't be bothered learning the required things to begin that process. Likewise my PC, I haven't changed much and none of it very radical.

That ease and comfort regarding webOS and modifications is one of its great strengths. Too bad more consumers never discovered that. I feel a deeper sense of ownership for my webOS hardware than for any other devices I currently own or have had in the past.
__________________
Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/22/2012, 03:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
cgk
Member
 
cgk's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
i think the problem is for the average normal consumer they don't care much about multitasking. The other phones, android, ios, wp7 multitask good ENOUGH for them. It's not an issue. Like ask iphone users if they'd like webos style multitasking and they'll say "yeah." But ask them if they want it enough to switch and they'll say "no way." Same for Android users. It's simply not that important to most users. The distinction between multitasking and "true" multitasking to them is not important.
There is no evidence that the market places any premium on "real multitasking", interestingly just like how it happened here the Crackberry crowd are adopting a position of faith that multitasking will propel BB10 to number one.

Quote:
i agree with this. i think for most people Webos is already forgotten. out of sight out of mind and for many it's been largely out of sight since the pre minus days. I've rarely seen a pre 2 and that was in a store and never seen a Pre 3. For many its been out of sight and out of mind since the pre minus stopped being sold
Was WebOS ever in the public's mind - there was a short period when it became known well because of the firesale but otherwise I would argue not.

Quote:
Interesting you mention Luna. Sort of indicative of the difference between webos and other platforms to me. In that i rarely hear the other platform websites discussing that sort of technical stuff, or at least it surely doesn't come up as often in comments and columns as i see it on webosnation. I'm not that knowledgeable about the technical stuff like Luna, Enyo and stuff like that. I think most consumers are closer to me in that respect. Like i honestly couldn't tell you what the equivalent of Luna or Enyo is in WP7, IOS or Android I simply am not sure what they do (don't actually care to be fair). I just know there's an OS called webos, WP7, ios and Android. I don't get much deeper unless forced to. I think that's a bit telling about the user base of the webos platform. They like the technical stuff. And often these things get mentioned. I've read iMore and rarely do they have articles about or mention technical stuff like developer kits or springboard or something. just a different sort of user base less interested in that stuff.
Right which is why I think it has a great future as a hobbyist OS once some of the more unrealistic fantasies about its return as a commercial product have died down.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/22/2012, 05:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
laingman's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
There is no evidence that the market places any premium on "real multitasking", interestingly just like how it happened here the Crackberry crowd are adopting a position of faith that multitasking will propel BB10 to number one.



Was WebOS ever in the public's mind - there was a short period when it became known well because of the firesale but otherwise I would argue not.



Right which is why I think it has a great future as a hobbyist OS once some of the more unrealistic fantasies about its return as a commercial product have died down.
Its not like the "market" has any experience with webos grade multi-tasking. To be fair playing with a webos phone in a store is no experience at all. To appreciate it one has to use it for weeks or even months and then go back to something else.

Believe me people did not reject webos multitasking as you make it sound because they know not what it is.
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/22/2012, 07:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
cgk
Member
 
cgk's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,868
The only way to judge 'value' in the market is via the price mechanism - in the same way consumers don't value my lumia 800, outside of fan forums the evidence from the market is that consumers never valued the features present in either webos or the devices it was on. Having said that, from what we understood at the time the returns from pre devices were higher than comparable devices and the last JDpower survey indicated that WebOS devices came bottom of the pile for customer satisf action.

Now someone is going to say "well it never got the marketing/carrier support!" except that it did in a number of markets - in the UK, the pre had a big push from O2 - it had hero status, seperate displays in stores, tv adverts and other premium marketing activities.



Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/22/2012, 07:49 AM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
etphoto's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,194
I agree that MOST consumers do not care abour the multitasking, but if its not that big of a deal why are the other OS starting to copy the ability to multitask?

I think the WebOS fans have different reasons why the like the OS over the others. For me, its the UI and it's simplicity.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0