webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Has everyone forgotten about open webOS?
Has everyone forgotten about open webOS?
Like Tree25Likes

Old 09/27/2012, 05:12 AM   #41 (permalink)

He probably means Unix ... which is what Linux derived of later...
Old 09/27/2012, 02:14 PM   #42 (permalink)

I may be wrong, but it seems in the battle between android/webOS there may be a pattern forming here. It seems the people defending webOS are the guys running pre3s and touchpads while the guys going on about android had pre- or pre running 1.x. 1.x didn't even have stacks!! You can't compare either hardware or software between a modern android phone and a pre- running 1.x. Of course the android device will seem light years ahead. I sold my android tablet and use a touchpad and a pre3 today. I think when people use the term multitasking what they may be referring to is webOSs ability to do such fantastic app management. That's why I left my iphone4 for a pre3. WebOS s app management is the best hands down, ics, ios, etc doesn't compare in that category. Otherwise, they all have newer hardware and a lot more apps available, but I'm still blown away by webOS and its app management! And lunace continues that fine tradition as we hope open webOS will as well.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
creepingmee is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Yellowhammer, xandros9, geekpeter and 1 others like this.
Old 09/27/2012, 04:42 PM   #43 (permalink)

Good point. You hear it from time to time about how the pre minus sucked and the new android is so great. The correct comparison would to the htc hero or something like that, samsung moment
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2012, 03:38 PM   #44 (permalink)

There really weren' that many meaniful upgrades to be perfectly frank between Pre 1 and Pre 3. Hardware sure...but still laggy and slow.

Still unsupported.

Maybe i just don't need to see every card open at once but common tasks i do, say copy something from a web site and insert it in an email is a simple task on android, just like WebOS.

Maybe there are examples of more intense multitasking and thats why i don't "get it". I love card view, i do...but functionally, i haven't been hindered making the switch.
DougB541#CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2012, 03:41 PM   #45 (permalink)

Oh i should add, i had a touchpad. It wasn't bad but i ended up selling it...my tablet use came down to web browsing and apps....both of which were subpar at the end of the day vs. the ipad.

I'm actually excited to see how windows 8 on a tablet does cause i don't really enjoy the ipad and android in that department either .
Old 09/28/2012, 04:34 PM   #46 (permalink)

strongly disagree. The original pre took about ten seconds just to open the calculator app
Old 09/28/2012, 11:40 PM   #47 (permalink)

Well Open WebOS is here and in under 6 hours from its release the folks at webOS-ports got it working on a Galaxy Nexus phone as a proof of concept. The port is rough around the edges but what do you expect with only 6 hours of work? All I have to say to those who were negative about this is this:

k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2012, 12:42 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
There really weren' that many meaniful upgrades to be perfectly frank between Pre 1 and Pre 3. Hardware sure...but still laggy and slow.

Still unsupported.

Maybe i just don't need to see every card open at once but common tasks i do, say copy something from a web site and insert it in an email is a simple task on android, just like WebOS.

Maybe there are examples of more intense multitasking and thats why i don't "get it". I love card view, i do...but functionally, i haven't been hindered making the switch.
In the end, it is a matter of taste and use. You like more this OS than those OSes and you have the apps necessary to get through your everyday struggles (don't know about you, but I use like 10 to 20 apps daily (Twitter, a billing app -got to make a living-, e-mail, messaging, phone of course, browser (which does just what I need from a mobile device), YouTube -occasionally-, facebook -very occasionally- Robotek and webOS Nation unofficial app, among others, out of the 168 apps I got in my Preł and +200 on my Touchpad. Having choices is never bad though, I'll give you that).
Yes, but saying Pre- is the same that Preł is just simply... .... ... Ok! I don't even know what that is but it is not so very true at all!!! And quite honestly, webOS has never had hardware to compete with trendy OSes, but still manages to be in everyone's expectations on when/how/who will benefit with its features (including you my "friend")! And to say that you don't feel any difference regarding the app management between iOS/android/BB/WP or whichever and webOS! Is just... ... ... ... ... Ok, don't know that either! Even Jobs once -or twice- pointed out webOS contributions mobile OS (before webOS multitasking was almost an unknown subject).
Now, if you simple admit you like any other OS but webOS, that's... totally respectful.

Last edited by ajguns; 09/29/2012 at 12:53 AM.
ajguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2012, 04:48 AM   #49 (permalink)

Yes, even the great Steve Jobs was impressed. Can you imagine if apple did webos?
Old 09/29/2012, 06:58 AM   #50 (permalink)

I'm one of webOS critics but I've always tried to be objective and to show respect for OS, Palm and even HP. No one can deny that synergy, advanced universal search, unintrusive notifications, wireless charging, advanced form of multitasking, gestures, support for multi exchange accounts isnt introduced by webOS and then carried to other platforms. In a way, Palm influenced development path of any modern mobile OS.

Last edited by chalx; 09/29/2012 at 07:09 AM.
chalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2012, 02:28 AM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Yes, even the great Steve Jobs was impressed. Can you imagine if apple did webos?
... I don't want to. Whatever it would have LOOKed like, it would most definitely have no Homebrew, no Preware and a community who is more into posing than using ... brrr ... how do I get that picture out of my head now?
Old 10/01/2012, 04:23 PM   #52 (permalink)

I still think HP could've actually continued plugging away at WebOS if their heart was in it. Really a lot of the issues were polish. I think the core of the OS was there, the PDK closed some hole and i'm pretty confident that you need native code for GREAT apps but obviously something possible as well. HP has the clout to make good hardware, they took on the WebOS development team....its just amazing they gave a half *** attempt at it.

Hell, the TouchPad imo is better than many android tablets once the ecosystem is out of the equation. Bah.
Old 10/01/2012, 04:29 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
I'm one of webOS critics but I've always tried to be objective and to show respect for OS, Palm and even HP. No one can deny that synergy, advanced universal search, unintrusive notifications, wireless charging, advanced form of multitasking, gestures, support for multi exchange accounts isnt introduced by webOS and then carried to other platforms. In a way, Palm influenced development path of any modern mobile OS.
100% agree with that. Unified messaging is still something only Microsoft now does and doesn't have as many plugs as Palm did.
Old 10/01/2012, 05:31 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Apple's major trait is being able to pick it up and know how to use it. the gestures and stuff aren't immediately obvious, as opposed to a back-arrow shaped button.

Less nice-feeling, but it works for the 6 year-old and technologically impaired.
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2012, 06:10 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
Apple's major trait is being able to pick it up and know how to use it. the gestures and stuff aren't immediately obvious, as opposed to a back-arrow shaped button.

Less nice-feeling, but it works for the 6 year-old and technologically impaired.
Most things are fine until one finds another way to do it. If I never used webos I would not know the difference.

And its not just phones, for example reaching for the back button in internet explorer was fine until I used opera desktop. Now every time I use IE it just drives me crazy
Old 10/02/2012, 12:48 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post

have to disagree

anyone can tap on an icon on an iphone but try getting into it and it will take some serious head scratching

webOS gestures make sense as soon as you take the tutorial that palm almost forced on you

it was the right thing to do I might add as no-one really ever reads the book

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0