webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Has everyone forgotten about open webOS?
Has everyone forgotten about open webOS?
Like Tree25Likes

Old 09/22/2012, 09:27 AM   #21 (permalink)

I actually walked into my english class yesterday to find a guy using a Pre 2.

I had to leave my Pre at home that day
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2012, 12:26 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
I've got to agree. I'm right there with you in that a lot of the deep tech goes past me and most consumers don't care to get educated on such in-depth matters.

However, I think I have done way more technical delving and modding on my webOS phones than I would have been able to on any other platform or would have felt comfortable doing. That is a huge part of what drew me to webOS: the fact that it is designed to be modified, that the premise underlying the OS is one of individual freedom and control...Likewise my PC, I haven't changed much and none of it very radical.
Oh me too. I've totally modded more then i would have done on other platforms. That said it wasn't really by choice. I needed the apps and tweaks in preware. And honestly i didn't do the user interface mods. not my style. But part of that is i've changed.

And it's interesting that you brought up PCs as it was the first thing i was thinking about. In fact I used to try to mod the U.I. a bit on windows xp to make it more monochrome and minimalistic, added launchers, icons, etc. But it kinda became a hassle and for my tastes it looked too busy. In fact it's part of why i don't like the look of WP7, the tiles and colors look too busy and bright to me. I won't do those things now. Now i simply don't care enough to change it. And i totally get that the modding thing is a strength as you say. Me, though, it's a plus but i also didn't buy it in order to personalize and modify it. I bought the phone specifically to replace my ipod & digital camera (that 3 devices in one idea) and to run the various apps. But many users buy devices for different reasons. it is what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
Was WebOS ever in the public's mind - there was a short period when it became known well because of the firesale but otherwise I would argue not.
Well no but i didn't really want to say it. I mean yes, the day the Pre minus launched and in the weeks to follow when the tech world and even wall street was monitoring Palm generally, and Palm Pre sell through. I think after that I think it was really only "in the minds" of phone enthusiasts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
I agree that MOST consumers do not care abour the multitasking, but if its not that big of a deal why are the other OS starting to copy the ability to multitask?
I think simply because it's a useful feature and having it adds value. It's just that not having it is not a deal breaker. Sort of like ios adding a Navigation app. It's a benefit but the lack of it won't make most people leave. And specifically the manner in which an OS multitasks is not a deal breaker. For example, if you want your music player app to keep playing music while you use your email app, most phone users are happy if it happens but don't care much how it's accomplished. They want the task accomplished. They are less concerned that there are always two visible cards or windows open in the back ground. You can do that so i think the difference in how it's accomplished isn't important enough to switch phones. It could be better but it's good enough. But that doesn't mean it platforms aren't going to add features.

As a side note i do think its extremely telling about the slow pace of webos that even after all this time, like three years, multitasking is really it's marquee selling feature. Now they did try to sell touch to share, true. But it's really what people seem to cling too when they try to sell it to other people. Or a least that's the point i hear brought up here. But, by comparison, ios isn't still making commercials about copy and paste, folders on the desktop, or that drop down notification bar. They quickly move on to other stuff. I don't know what the hell Android sells as i've really only watched part of one of their press conferences and don't recall if they have commercials.
Old 09/23/2012, 11:12 AM   #23 (permalink)

So if its a shame that multi-tasking is the webos selling point, what is the selling point of android, iphone, wp
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2012, 11:36 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Linux has been around for years and i would suggest a very large number of people have no clue what it is.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
That's true. Then you say let me see your phone and it is running Android (Linux), or look at their DVR and it is running Linux, or ask them if they use Google for search, maps, etc. which all run on Linux servers, or their portable and built in car navigation systems which mostly run on Linux. People use it everyday in their lives and don't even know it. That is the true beauty of Linux and a curse at the same time.

WebOS has Linux at it's core. So does Meego, the before mentioned Android, and all of the devices previously mentioned. Open webOS will run on the standard Linux kernel and the code will be free for anyone to look at and modify, which is a good thing. If Luna CE is already a testament to what the open source community can do, I can't wait to see what open webOS has to offer.

BTW, been using desktop Linux since 1996. Heard all the doom and gloom stories before, yet I still get updates and new features almost every other day. I think it has surpassed Windows on ease of install, use, and cool features.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2012, 12:37 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
BTW, been using desktop Linux since 1996. Heard all the doom and gloom stories before, yet I still get updates and new features almost every other day. I think it has surpassed Windows on ease of install, use, and cool features.
linux is fine in general, the only thing at first glance that puts many off is the terminal commands and general file structure (nothing seems obvious at all), on some other systems its relativly simple to know what they do yet linux seemingly takes pride in baffling newcomers.

amazingly basic example

Search for some text in a file from dos prompt.

Linux command : GREP
Amiga : Search
MSDOS : Find
MAC : HGREP (or whatever else it can do)

linux is decent to use, and thankfully enough seems to support far more hardware than a windows equivalent, ive noticed this on some of my old laptops/PC's that couldnt update to windows7 and sometimes even vista.

But still, its hard for a newbie to grasp many things, and its not like they can ignore that terminal window, something WILL require it and a new user would have to grasp it before long, its a shame the terminal side of things hasnt updated with the times and made things easier, or there would likely be the recognition it deserves and much greater use.
Old 09/23/2012, 11:12 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
So if its a shame that multi-tasking is the webos selling point, what is the selling point of android, iphone, wp
I did not say ďitís a shame that multitasking is the webos selling point.Ē

I said and Iíll paraphrase for clarity ďafter about four years multitasking is still touted as webosí marque selling point.Ē Apple isnít still focused on marketing ios for itís 2009 features like push notifications and copy and paste.

Regardless what you said and what I said are two completely different ideas.

As for the selling points of other platforms, Iíd search google, maybe they have OS launches for several years back that you can watch to see the features they are pushing from year to year.
Old 09/24/2012, 02:18 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
For iPhone that would be style, mostly appealing to posers as well.
For Android it's "openness" and "cheap geek stuff", that kicks people's purses ...
WP is trying to get the "business" market, trying to show off their "seriousness" ...

So far my impressions
Old 09/24/2012, 04:49 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
linux is fine in general, the only thing at first glance that puts many off is the terminal commands and general file structure ([i]nothing seems obvious at all), on some other systems its relativly simple to know what they do yet linux seemingly takes pride in baffling newcomers.

amazingly basic example

Search for some text in a file from dos prompt.

Linux command : GREP
Amiga : Search
MSDOS : Find
MAC : HGREP ([i]or whatever else it can do)

linux is decent to use, and thankfully enough seems to support far more hardware than a windows equivalent, ive noticed this on some of my old laptops/PC's that couldnt update to windows7 and sometimes even vista.

But still, its hard for a newbie to grasp many things, and its not like they can ignore that terminal window, something WILL require it and a new user would have to grasp it before long, its a shame the terminal side of things hasnt updated with the times and made things easier, or there would likely be the recognition it deserves and much greater use.
While I agree with the spirit of your post, Linux is something you have to get used to, I disagree with your examples. You can navigate Linux without the command line just as easily as you can Windows and there are GUIs for everything. However, knowing the command line makes things go by a lot faster. The only file structure you need to be concerned with is that of your home directory. Those are the only folders you as a user can change and are the first ones you see when you open up your file manager. The file structure outside of that directory seems foreign, but it is no more confusing than that of a 64 bit Windows 7 machine. To prove my point, Android uses the standard Linux file structure as does webOS, and you don't hear users of either of those platforms complaining about finding stuff.

Old 09/26/2012, 04:52 PM   #29 (permalink)

Are people really holding on to the "true multitasking" of WebOS?

Yes the card metaphor is still cool, but to pretend like ICS/Jelly Bean and hell even Gingerbread don't offer a great mutlitasking system is just being ignorant.
DougB541#CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2012, 04:53 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
For iPhone that would be style, mostly appealing to posers as well.
For Android it's "openness" and "cheap geek stuff", that kicks people's purses ...
WP is trying to get the "business" market, trying to show off their "seriousness" ...

So far my impressions
How you got this impression, i will never know.
Old 09/26/2012, 05:00 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post

Yes the card metaphor is still cool, but to pretend like ICS/Jelly Bean and hell even Gingerbread don't offer a great mutlitasking system is just being ignorant.
I suppose android multitasking is ok. But I just don't like the looks of android, its just so busy
Old 09/26/2012, 05:07 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
I suppose android multitasking is ok. But I just don't like the looks of android, its just so busy
Android is pretty much how you want it.

Whats so busy about this home screen?

And if you do find it too busy, don't have anything on the desktop. Up to you. Hell my current phone does use the card metaphor but i wish it used the stock ICS multitasking as i find that more useful personally:

And this is coming from a HUGE webOS. I just moved on though as there was nothing promising moving forward and i was missing out on so much more then nice UI ideas. Mean while Matius has brought about some of the better ideas from WebOS to ICS/Jelly bean like notification swiping and interactivity.

::Shrug:: I just find some people still talk about Android or iOS like its unusable. I wonder if they've used the most recent devices/software.
Old 09/26/2012, 05:48 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:

No one is saying that ICS doesn't offer decent multitasking. We are just saying that we believe webOS' system is better. For me, an avid user of both Android and webOS (and a part time user of iOS), webOS' multitasking is light years better than ICS. I don't even know if I would even call what ICS or iOS does multitasking. BTW, I also liked it when someone said that ICS' task manager is equivalent to webOS card view. Not even close!

My problem personally with the whole matter of iOS and Android is that users of those operating systems who chose to come here and bad mouth webOS don't admit their shortcomings. Instead they come here and pretend that those shortcomings don't exist just because their OS has a large user base. WebOS users will admit the lack of apps, support from HP, or lack of new hardware. We do it all the time in this forum and we work on ways to help others in the community overcome these shortcomings (we have one heck of a homebrew community!).

None of us have forgotten about open webOS. We are impatiently awaiting it's arrival so our community can get to work to make it better.

Liked by geekpeter and MartinH@webos like this.
Old 09/26/2012, 06:37 PM   #34 (permalink)

Except you haven't asked me shortcomings of Android. Instead you are telling me WebOS multitasking is better..but haven't explained fundamentally how or why its better. IF you want to have an open discussion i am willing in the proper thread.

And I had WebOS, on Sprint, launch day....I think i earned my right to still come back here and see whats going on...its when I see literally, dilussional statements that get me rilled up. Cause I look back at how I defended WebOS and I remembering being one of those people.

"Its just as responsive as the iPhone!" - pretty sure iv'e said that more than once.

But hey, if you like WebOS, you like WebOS.
Liked by jcmarcos likes this.
Old 09/26/2012, 06:38 PM   #35 (permalink)

Maybe by "busy" I really mean ugly. Its like a pretty girl and an ugly girl, both of them will do but one is just easier on the eyes.

You know when you hold down the android home button to do the recent apps thing, if that is not the ugliest thing I have ever seen. I mean you have the thumbnail, plus the icon, plus some lines and crap and it just looks dark and mysterious.

And I'm supposed to give up webos with my beautiful round corners keeping me calm? Not a chance.

I am surrounded by all manner of galaxy this, iphone that, and I am always happy to give that crap back to them and get back to my trusty pre2
Old 09/26/2012, 07:00 PM   #36 (permalink)

Fair enough...I remember when I gave up the Pre (granted I had the Sprint Pre which was just a terrible piece of hardware)....no positives of the software could keep me on a phone that i replaced 5 times. ANd thats the funny part, software wasn't keepin me....some UI elements maybe, but it just stopped being a functional device for me seeing it would take 7 minutes to restart after a random freeze or run into the dreaded headset issues and it meant running back to homebrew to find some way to make it better.

I wish the hold outs luck, but I just don't see anything significant coming out of Open WebOS. I mean, is there honestly a company that will release hardware for this thing? HP isn't even going to do it. Best bet is someone porting it to an existing device, and even then the lack of driver support for cameras, 4G etc. will be **** poor at best.

HP SHOULD release a dev device, but they won't...cause welll, they've shown they are inept at anything after the purchase. HP WAS My last hope and they literally failed me. Shame cause WebOS could've been something really great...and it was squandered.
Old 09/26/2012, 08:17 PM   #37 (permalink)

Yep, us webos fans really have problems with no hope in sight. I will hold on as long as I can
Liked by jcmarcos likes this.
Old 09/27/2012, 12:41 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
How you got this impression, i will never know.
That much is true.
Old 09/27/2012, 02:22 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
you haven't asked me shortcomings of Android. Instead you are telling me WebOS multitasking is better..but haven't explained fundamentally how or why its better. Hey, if you like WebOS, you like WebOS.
Quote:
Yep, us webos fans really have problems with no hope in sight. I will hold on as long as I can
Call me weird, but I happen to agree with both Brain Mantis and laingman. I just like webOS a lot, but can't offer a clear explanation of it being better. I just find it cute, perhaps. And the ideas behind it are brilliant, only not well enough executed.

I feel jealous about other system's goodies, and will stay here as much as I can - for me, webOS does all the things I need, and the way I like. I just dislike that its functions aren't very polished, and mostly, that it's not good at battery life. But I accept it, with all its defects. True love is that? :-D

If it wasn't for the great people here, I would have tossed my Pre3 already. The community changes a half assed attempt by an unknowledgeable company into a brave, distinctive device that fights every day for its existance - That's class.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/27/2012, 04:59 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
linux ofc did so in the 60's but for many home computer users it was the amiga that got there first in the 80s for "true multitasking",
....linux in the 60's????? Linux in most of the the 60' wasn't even a sperm in Linus Thorwalds' father's balls, for God's sake... He was born in '69, so to create his OS in the 60', he must've been extremely accomplished newborn.
bushi.mich is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0