Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
  1.    #1  
    Check it out. Could be interesting.. maybe.

Original article: ?????Web OS?-?IT
    Translated: it.sohu.com/20120918/n353382300.shtml - Translator

Online translators don't work too well, but you get the general idea.
    I wish Google would work on their translators instead of Google Earth for a month or two. Nice (interesting) find!

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
    Say what? Lost in translation but yes, it does mention webOS!

Derek, please confirm this, does this mean we have hardware to play on soon?!!! CDMA (Sprint), please!!!!

"As of 2012, ZTE is the 4th largest mobile phone vendor. It also makes tablets"

Someone confirm this...
    hmm I wish someone would pick up webOS !!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Interesting. Looked them on Wikipedia and they are state owned in China since 1985 and the 4th largest phonemaker behind samsung apple and nokia.

"ZTE Corporation (formerly Zhongxing Telecommunication Equipment Corporation) (SZSE: 000063; SEHK: 0763) is a Chinese multinational telecommunications equipment and systems company headquartered in Shenzhen, China. It is the world's fifth-largest telecoms equipment maker measured by 2011 revenues (after Ericsson, Huawei, Alcatel-Lucent and Nokia Siemens Networks)[2] and the world's fourth-largest mobile phone manufacturer measured by 2011 unit sales.[3]"
    Fingers crossed. Maybe some of us should attempt to contact them.

Although, this begs the question, Does this mean that HP has modified open webOS to run on things that don't have the 3.3 linux kernel? There aren't any chips that support it as of now. If so, this will make webOS ports' job a lot easier (assuming they don't know any info; maybe they do and are just under NDA) as well as Phoenix International's (who I volunteer for).
    "I'm just here so I don't get fined." -Marshawn Lynch
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I like their strategy of putting eggs on difference operation systems. This is exciting!

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    brandongoeszoom and kiyva like this.
    i have been lurking for what seems like an eternity....WAITING to read these words......Currently on Sprint, and would LOVE to give up my crappy/clunky iphone 4s. I have had this thing for months, and still find myself *****ing about it multiple times a day. My heart is smiling.....It's like the promise of a sunrise.....I'm just gonna chill....an wait. That's what we do around here anyway right?
    khazoury and Remy X like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbaradio View Post
    ....and still find myself *****ing about it multiple times a day. ...
    Um... glad to see someone dropping out of the rafters getting excited about some news. But... what exactly were you doing multiple times a day??? LOL

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
    Rnp and kataran like this.
    Erm ... ZTE are the ones producing the Firefox OS Smartphones.
    I would be surprised if they produce a second OS line Smartphone, but hey, I have heared stranger things in my days.

I am holding my thumbs... (ok, in America you would cross your fingers, I guess )
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Um... glad to see someone dropping out of the rafters getting excited about some news. But... what exactly were you doing multiple times a day??? LOL
    B --itch- --ing about the iphone's clunkiness (cheap ploy to get around censors).......among other things
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Well, according to kiyva's link...

Noting that Apple and Samsung have sued each other over alleged patent infringements, He said ZTE will not put all of its smartphone eggs into one basket. "We will avoid relying too greatly on one single operating system," he said.
    So, it is possible. I reckon time will tell. I'm actually going to call them tomorrow to see if I can get anything out of them
    their 1 of 2 tech companies from china that were recently accused of allowing their goverment full access to devices or as it was put "allowing spying".

could be the usual paranoia at work ofc, ZTE said the "spy" issue was only due to an unforseen series of bugs.

but hey its the first mention of anyone taking an apparant interest???
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    And from the @webosinternals Twitter account:
    @brandongoeszoom I can read that transcript as saying 'a web-based OS' not webOS specifically, so I would wait for independent verification.
    As much as the folks at Internals are right about what they talk about, here's to hoping they're wrong for a change.
    interesting - I have heard some of the "knockoff" (i know thats disingenuous, but I can't think of another word) manufacturers from China do make some slick hardware even if a lot of the design is borrowed But if it results in new hardware running webos then that is exciting nonetheless.
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,370 Global Posts
    looking around the net, they are developing their own OS which is web based (HTML5?) that seems to have been translate as Web OS in that article - this seems to have nothing to do with WebOS. That is why he talks about it being an innovation of ZTE and does not mention HP.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,370 Global Posts
    And a further look around reveals a story that was just published:

China’s second-biggest maker of phone equipment, will release a new mobile operating system with the developer of the Firefox web browser to compete with Google Inc. (GOOG)’s Android software.
    The software will be available in the December quarter, ZTE Executive Vice President He Shiyou told a briefing in Beijing today. Closely held Mozilla Corp. makes Firefox.
    ZTE, Mozilla Plan Mobile System to Compete With Android - Bloomberg

And the reporter who wrote that story said on twitter:

ZTE said today they and Mozilla will launch a Mobile operating system, so this is not HP's webOS, if that's what you thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    And a further look around reveals a story that was just published:

ZTE, Mozilla Plan Mobile System to Compete With Android - Bloomberg

And the reporter who wrote that story said on twitter:
    This is saddening, to say the least. But if they're going to use Mozilla's OS and Android, there's still room for webOS, since they want to use multiple Oses anyhow...
    hey if this a true then it's a better start than nothing lol.
    Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast