webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > ZTE to launch webOS phone in Q4?
ZTE to launch webOS phone in Q4?
Like Tree23Likes

Old 09/19/2012, 11:35 AM   #41 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
i wonder who would buy the mystical firefox based OS phone, the same people that are going to buy a facebook phone or other gimmick OS?
Yep.

Mozilla has die hard fans.

So does Facebook.

There is no accounting for tastes.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2012, 11:37 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
i wonder who would buy the mystical firefox based OS phone, the same people that are going to buy a facebook phone or other gimmick OS?
It's not a branded Firefox, at least I don't think so. Mozilla just provide open source software for anyone to load onto whatever hardware they like and/or can make it work on. And it's in addition to the platform not instead of. I guess ZTE will just be including it on the ROM or something like that.
DaveyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2012, 12:00 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyBoy View Post
It's not a branded Firefox, at least I don't think so. Mozilla just provide open source software for anyone to load onto whatever hardware they like and/or can make it work on. And it's in addition to the platform not instead of. I guess ZTE will just be including it on the ROM or something like that.
ah so their not even going to provide their own "vanilla" version? is that to make sure they dont end up competing with other manufacturers and upseting them or just because they dont want the risks of trying it themselves?
Old 09/19/2012, 12:22 PM   #44 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Ehm this source says they're working on Open webOS and Firefox OS phones....
Herrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2012, 12:28 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyBoy View Post
Oh and just for the record, the description the ZTE chief gave sounds exactly like how Boot2Gecko is supposed to work - it boots to a browser environment where you can work your phone and run HTML5 apps regardless of the platform you're running on.

The confusion probably comes down to a mistranslation and misconception - Boot2Gecko isn't quite an operating system but someone may describe it as such as it's a complex concept, and Mozilla itself describe it as running on the Open Web, so you could jumble that up to get Open Web OS.... Mozilla

And here's this from Engadget just a few hours ago: ZTE to launch Mozilla-based smartphones early next year -- Engadget - I don't think they would dilute their message by announcing both B2G and webOS phones on the same day. I could be wrong but I don't think I am....
Too good to be true. Well, at least we're all used to having our hopes dashed by now, so we'll take the bad news in stride...
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2012, 12:29 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
looks like their using Web OS to mean "a" web based OS (firefox in this case) in the same way joe public refer or used to refer to a tablet as an "ipad".

poor choice of words, leading to confusion.

if it is both then woop, if not then meh.
Old 09/19/2012, 01:09 PM   #47 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Digitimes is not what I'd consider a reliable source and if there source is anything more than the mistranslated article we saw earlier I'll be amazed - Derek has already dismissed this story on the front page and I don't see anything missing in his analysis.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2012, 01:33 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
Too good to be true. Well, at least we're all used to having our hopes dashed by now, so we'll take the bad news in stride...
There was no news to start with lol

Sooner or later someone will bring out a half decent portrait slider phone that can run the required linux kernel. But you can bet your house that whoever it is won't be using "and you can load webOS onto it" as a selling point.
DaveyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2012, 01:59 PM   #49 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
What does the update at the top say? Because it appears to me that they are saying they were mistaken and there is no WebOS phone. The digitime article (which anyone familiar with the sector knows is not quite the WSJ) based on "sources" just seem to be based on the machine translation given before and dismissed. If they are making a WebOS phone (rather than a Web OS phone) they haven't mentioned it in any of the interviews they have conducted today.
That update at the top wasn't there yet when I read the article and posted the link. Now go get your shine box.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2012, 02:32 PM   #50 (permalink)
Rnp

Hey, hey, hey, heeeEEY!!

Let's gonna see the facts: the Open webOS was not released.

So, I believe that nobody can say that "gonna launch anything"... I'm wrong thinking this way?

Best Regards...
Old 09/19/2012, 02:43 PM   #51 (permalink)

Not to burst anyones bubble but i seriously doubt any oem will pick up webos at this point. The most you may see is ports to current devices and the oems stripping parts of webos and using it in their exsisting software.
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2012, 04:09 PM   #52 (permalink)

<<threads merged>>

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2012, 07:03 PM   #53 (permalink)

To put a positive spin on this, doesn't the release of a phone running an open sourced web-based OS mean that it would be a good candidate for the installation of Open webOS?
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2012, 12:58 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncc View Post
To put a positive spin on this, doesn't the release of a phone running an open sourced web-based OS mean that it would be a good candidate for the installation of Open webOS?
... is what I said above ... If anyone could, WebOSInternals or respectively WebOSPorts can.

Is anyone else bugged off by the fact that nearly every other company (except for HP) does things right?

I mean, look at this Firefox OS; Mozilla went out and found a partner.
HP has WebOS on the shelve, kicks the GBU out into a company and then sits and waits for a fish to bite, without a bait on the hook. And instead of enforcing their own thing, they build Win8 Tabs and Droidphones ... manmanman

No I don't hate HP. To hate someone, you have to take him serious ...
Thanked By: mamouton
Old 09/20/2012, 07:54 AM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
... is what I said above ... If anyone could, WebOSInternals or respectively WebOSPorts can.

Is anyone else bugged off by the fact that nearly every other company (except for HP) does things right?

I mean, look at this Firefox OS; Mozilla went out and found a partner.
HP has WebOS on the shelve, kicks the GBU out into a company and then sits and waits for a fish to bite, without a bait on the hook. And instead of enforcing their own thing, they build Win8 Tabs and Droidphones ... manmanman

No I don't hate HP. To hate someone, you have to take him serious ...
What Droid phones are they making?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2012, 09:52 AM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
What Droid phones are they making?

Bender.
Old 09/20/2012, 12:51 PM   #57 (permalink)
cgk

No need to be rude! I
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2012, 02:53 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
No need to be rude! I
I'm pi$$ed! (dang filters)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Old 09/21/2012, 01:52 AM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
No need to be rude! I

Well, it's an Android Bender, so that's rude agains robots actually
Old 09/25/2012, 12:37 AM   #60 (permalink)
News Contributor

This news comes from Digitimes China web site on a post with more information about Samsung to launch Tizen devices in the near future.

But in the last line of that post, they say:

In additional news, China-based ZTE has also recently decided to start developing webOS operating system.

Samsung Tizen smartphones to face market challenges
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0