webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Would it be possible to use older Linux kernels in Open webOS?
Would it be possible to use older Linux kernels in Open webOS?

Old 09/18/2012, 06:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Since everything will be Open Source, would it be possible to go back to earlier kernels that we DO have drivers for and then rebuild Open webOS around it? Wouldn't that solve most of the "no one has drivers for Linux 3.3" issues? I am not saying it would be EASY, but how much of Open webOS uses/will use the NEW stuff in 3.3?

What do you think, would that be a solution to the BIG problem that prevents it from working on existing handsets?
Targon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2012, 06:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I wondered the same, some people said it should be quite do-able, others said it's quite difficult. I personally lack the knowledge to make a proper judgement...
Herrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2012, 06:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
I wondered the same, some people said it should be quite do-able, others said it's quite difficult. I personally lack the knowledge to make a proper judgement...
well.. yeah, developer site(under service Q&A section) has said it's not allowed to use native library through nodejs binding... but I was just hoping for it.. ;p
HarryCho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2012, 01:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

My guess would be that it all "depends" (har har) on what things the rest of the system depends upon. If I'm not mistaken, isn't the stock Jelly Bean running on 3.1 now, but all the Rom hackers are using different kernel versions that their devices have drivers for ..?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0