webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Bender
Bender
Like Tree7Likes

Old 09/16/2012, 05:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Are we seeing the birth of a family of HP's dedicated Android devices named BENDER ?
If yes, what might be the role of the all Gram, webOS and Enyo stuff in it?
sgamao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2012, 06:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

We have no idea, excluding those working on this.
It could possibly be a Meego-powered device with ACL (joking), it could be a hoax, we know nothing on this. It could just be HP screwing around with various prototypes.
If HP is indeed making an Android phone, we sure HOPE that gram, Enyo and webOS will have a role.
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2012, 06:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
We have no idea, excluding those working on this.
It could possibly be a Meego-powered device with ACL (joking), it could be a hoax, we know nothing on this. It could just be HP screwing around with various prototypes.
If HP is indeed making an Android phone, we sure HOPE that gram, Enyo and webOS will have a role.
As i was reading in other comments i think it's interesting to understand how much of the open webos and enyo stuff can be eventually delivered to Android.
Choosing Android could put HP in the position to access all thousands apps and developers but can we imagine some of webOS technologies built on top of the Android software? I'm talking about a specific Palm-like UI or the synergy and multitasking possibilities..

It's pretty clear the mobile world is living its own natural selection time and that some Oses are better than others when the market does matter.
Samsung is making his Galaxy Android based family yet stronger and more complete of a variety of devices and at the same time is not giving much news about Tizen while it's shutting down Bada.
Nokia has now full committment to WP with its Lumia family and it have chosen Series 40 in favour of Symbian for its low end devices line Asha. Outside China the market is taking some certain directions and HP might have understood that it might be worthless insisting on developing their own platform.
From this we could see rising the Bender family of Android devices which could include some of the best webOS and Enyo technologies.

Last edited by sgamao; 09/16/2012 at 06:55 AM.
sgamao is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9 and jcmarcos like this.
Thanked By: capape
Old 09/16/2012, 08:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

wonder if it will keep its codename which could be an ironic future curse considering benders slogan is "Kill all Humans".
Old 09/16/2012, 09:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

if it is an android phone with webOS functionality, thats fine with me.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
imurrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2012, 09:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

I am wondering myself if it will be an android phone on the new requirements for Open WebOs, so it could dual boot and really make waves, give people another raw android choice or dual boot webos. I hate hp.
toyotast165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2012, 09:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
wonder if it will keep its codename which could be an ironic future curse considering benders slogan is "Kill all Humans".
Sound about right for HP... but if this is true... just... *sigh*
webos_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2012, 10:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Just...

Daring Fireball: Then Welcome to Android

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2012, 10:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Even more doubtful when you consider that 'Bender' is also a rather crude piece of slang in the UK for homosexuals:

Quote:
The English language can be a treacherous and slippery thing, with some entirely innocuous words changing their character as they cross the Atlantic. This has sadly been the case with the new movie from M Night Shyamalan, which has just arrived here from Hollywood, a deeply serious and long fantasy epic – the first in a number of parts, in fact – based on an animated TV series. For a British audience, the film's language is inadvertently flavoured by associations and nuances that are vulgar, abusive, and very, very unfortunate indeed.
Quote:
At the cinema showing I attended, the British crowd reacted derisively at key dialogue moments. One wise old lady says solemnly to a young man: "I could tell at once that you were a bender, and that you would realise your destiny." One character tells another wonderingly: "There are some really powerful benders in the Northern Water Zone." Another whispers tensely: "We want to minimise their bender sources." A key figure is taken away by brutal soldiers, one of whom shouts cruelly: "It's a bender."

And so on, for almost two hours. Each time, the response from the auditorium was deafeningly immature, and brought many of us to a state of nervous collapse.
Film review: The Last Airbender | Film | The Guardian
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2012, 10:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
Even more doubtful when you consider that 'Bender' is also a rather crude piece of slang in the UK for homosexuals:

Too logical to do...
khazoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2012, 10:46 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
I am wondering myself if it will be an android phone on the new requirements for Open WebOs, so it could dual boot and really make waves, give people another raw android choice or dual boot webos. I hate hp.

That would make sense, think HP would do something so logical?...
khazoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2012, 04:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khazoury View Post
That would make sense, think HP would do something so logical?...
LOL funniest thing I heard today

in all seriousness, that would be rather interesting, appealing to multiple groups. Us webOS users, Android fans, average people

Just throwing it out there, maybe this Bender is an Open webOS phone running an android benchmark app
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2012, 05:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imurrx View Post
if it is an android phone with webOS functionality, thats fine with me.
any phone as long as it is webOS that's fine with me. The lack of apps does not bother me. There is too many junk apps on android and ios anyway.

webOS to the death which seems nearer than I am willing to admit.
milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2012, 11:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

HP? A new phone?

It will just one of the many "me too" android phones. Not as good as the best Android phones and not even as interesting as the much maligned webOS. I don't expect it to be anything but whatever HP will calculate to the tipping point to be between mass appeal and mass profits.

However, they will miss on both counts, unless they give it away at a loss to gain market share.

C
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 09/17/2012, 01:08 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post

Really? I didn't know that. I'm American and the first think i thought of when i heard bender was going out and getting pizz drunk: which again is not exactly a family friendly sort of name. But hell i thought iPad was horrible. Strike that. I still do think it's a horrible name, but whatever. But yeah that whole naming thing can be tough to negotiate.

You may remember, there's was an controversy over an Umbro shoe called the Zyklon. Turns out it's german for some gas the Na-z-is used to kill people. That didn't go over well. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-protests.html
Old 09/17/2012, 02:43 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
...and only Androids will be left... too deep?
renater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/17/2012, 03:06 AM   #17 (permalink)

It's bender, because he's out for your valuables, like the original from futurama was!
It might be as unsucessful as it's namesake, but time will tell...
Old 09/17/2012, 03:47 AM   #18 (permalink)

I want this to be either a new webOS device, or a hoax.
Old 09/17/2012, 08:02 AM   #19 (permalink)

Oh i get it, this must be the point on the roller coaster where we start going back up again. Got it.
Old 09/17/2012, 08:54 AM   #20 (permalink)

OpenWebOS is supposed to be built on the Linux Standard Kernel, but if you look at:
List of Linux distributions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
the closest thing might indeed be the Android build.
JohnKern is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0