webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Interesting news from Whitman
Interesting news from Whitman
Like Tree61Likes

Old 09/15/2012, 11:04 AM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
The only way HP could compete is if they offered a high-end portrait slider Android phone. HTC, Samsung, and the others already have the slab form factor more than covered. I would love to see them make a light webOS "skin" on top of Android.
well now that webos will be open source it "can" happen.
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RoverNole likes this.
Old 09/15/2012, 12:00 PM   #82 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Oh uh yup... HP won't get lost among these 200 other Android phones: Android Device Gallery

They'll stand out and grab lots of attention.

They'll make money in Android since these others can't/haven't/didn't: Sony, Kyocera, Sharp, HTC, Pantech, Asus, LG, HTC, Huawei, NEC, ZTE, Motorola, Acer, Fujitsu, Sony Ericcson, Toshiba, Panasonic, Dell, Sanyo...

It's not even funny.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 09/15/2012, 12:20 PM   #83 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Oh uh yup... HP won't get lost among these 200 other Android phones: Android Device Gallery

They'll make money in Android since these others can't/haven't/didn't: Sony, Kyocera, Sharp, HTC, Pantech, Asus, LG, HTC, Huawei, NEC, ZTE, Motorola, Acer, Fujitsu, Sony Ericcson, Toshiba, Panasonic, Dell, Sanyo...

It's not even funny.
They would definitely stand out if they released a high-end portrait slider device. Otherwise, they would get lost in the sea of other android slabs.
Thanked By: OldSkoolVWLover
Old 09/15/2012, 12:45 PM   #84 (permalink)

2 angles/questions on that:

1) Android phones are easier to make dual bootable than Win8 phones I have heard?

2) Will openWebOS run on it? I know it is not out yet, but there it a beta and maybe someone might comment on that?
Old 09/15/2012, 02:05 PM   #85 (permalink)

big SIGH ! HP has the best mobile OS in it's hands but uses a google product instead ?!?

man if was on the Board I'd give Whitman a good ol Moe slap right in the head (alla Three Stooges for you young folk LOL)
Old 09/15/2012, 02:50 PM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
2 angles/questions on that:

1) Android phones are easier to make dual bootable than Win8 phones I have heard?

2) Will openWebOS run on it? I know it is not out yet, but there it a beta and maybe someone might comment on that?
Win 8 phones cannot be made dual-boot. It is required by Microsoft. The same goes for Windows 8 on tablets. It isn't a monopoly because...well, because nobody much buys Windows phones, to be exact.
kupfernigk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2012, 03:22 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
big SIGH ! HP has the best mobile OS in it's hands but uses a google product instead ?!?

man if was on the Board I'd give Whitman a good ol Moe slap right in the head (alla Three Stooges for you young folk LOL)
you probably mean the rest of the board, not just meg
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2012, 04:02 PM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
you probably mean the rest of the board, not just meg

sure why not with a few eye pokes for all ...nyuck nyuck
Old 09/15/2012, 06:27 PM   #89 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
They would definitely stand out if they released a high-end portrait slider device. Otherwise, they would get lost in the sea of other android slabs.
What makes you think that HP has the dna to make a high end slab slider or not that anyone would care about? It would be beige and for accountants called nigel.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by CGK; 09/15/2012 at 06:33 PM.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2012, 06:35 PM   #90 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
What makes you think that HP has the dna to make a high end slab slider or not that anyone would care about? It would be beige and for accountants called nigel. The

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
I was just saying that was the only way for them to stand out with an Android device. Currently, there is no such thing as a high-end portrait slider device in the Android world. Just a sea of slab phones. Oh, and the occasional terrible landscape slider device.

I can totally see HP releasing a slab phone though. It'll be black, have average specs, and launch with ICS. lol
Old 09/15/2012, 07:03 PM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
I was just saying that was the only way for them to stand out with an Android device. Currently, there is no such thing as a high-end portrait slider device in the Android world. Just a sea of slab phones. Oh, and the occasional terrible landscape slider device.

I can totally see HP releasing a slab phone though. It'll be black, have average specs, and launch with ICS. lol
I think there's a reason for that. As far as landscape sliders go, the latest Droid is pretty solid.

If HP releases a phone, it'll be a slab that no one wants, though I think they are capable of producing sexy hardware (their latest ultra books for example).
Old 09/15/2012, 07:14 PM   #92 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
I think there's a reason for that. As far as landscape sliders go, the latest Droid is pretty solid.

If HP releases a phone, it'll be a slab that no one wants, though I think they are capable of producing sexy hardware (their latest ultra books for example).
Eh, the last landscape slider I liked was a dumbphone, but only because i didn't know any better. Portrait slider easily trumps landscape slider. It's just nice to be able to type on your phone with one hand.

It's weird though. For a platform that's all about options (Android), there is very little choice when it comes to form factor.
Old 09/16/2012, 12:40 AM   #93 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post

It's not even funny.
I totally agree with this.
Android is not profitable for most of the companies (with the exception of Samsung) and there are surely many more experienced manufacturers like HTC which are currently struggling. There is virtually no chance for success if HP decides to go with Android.
Also the sliders are not popular at all. I like my phone with a physical keyboard and with a relatively small screen but the current trend wants huge slab phones with 4+'' screen sizes. Even Apple had to go to 4'' with their iPhone5.
HP's only chance would be going with the WP, but they are already too late and Nokia are playing their last card with this. They seem to lack in strategy. Meg is slightly better than Leo but this is not enough.
Loiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 09/16/2012, 04:26 PM   #94 (permalink)

Blue sky thinking... what if that was actually just ACL running on top of Open webOS? We have a phone that actually runs open WebOS, then they are testing something like browser apps in Play Store?

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2012, 04:31 PM   #95 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
Blue sky thinking... what if that was actually just ACL running on top of Open webOS? We have a phone that actually runs open WebOS, then they are testing something like browser apps in Play Store?
What phone runs Open WebOS?
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2012, 04:43 PM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
What phone runs Open WebOS?
This mysterical Bender thing that HP is testing. Since we don't know jack on what exactly this thing is...

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2012, 08:49 PM   #97 (permalink)

I don't think Open webOS is far enough along to be currently on a phone. Internal beta version or not.
i2y4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2012, 09:11 PM   #98 (permalink)

"HP doesn't yet have a strategy for mobile phones." Meg Whitman H-P Tries On a Sleeker Look - WSJ.com

Take that for what it is worth. I don't think you can read too much into the Fox Business interview. She says they made a detour but I can't figure exactly what she means by that. Some have been quick to assume that she meant that webOS was the detour. Could be she is refering to Leo's decision to scrap their mobile/ webOS work. Whatever they are doing we do know that they are intending to use webOS for other companies. It seems to me that HP would be less than credible in attempting to do so if they are not willing to eat their own cooking. I just don't think that HP would have any hesitation to kill the lot of webOS if that was the endgame. They fact that they have not yet should be a positive.
jjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/17/2012, 03:00 AM   #99 (permalink)

I think the whole thing is hillarious and let's me laugh hysterically ... I giggle and chuckle everytime I think about it.

Lets think this through (a think, HP has yet to learn):
1) For years now, PC market is stagnating.
2) For years now, customers more and more go for mobile devices
3) HP woke up once, bought Palm and tried to enter the market (THEN it would have been ON TIME). First time they did right in a long time.
4) That one guy in HP who was not blind and was seeing the signs of the time is getting axed.
5) There are no marketing efforts to speak of, the WebOS devices are trown into an unaware market (European mobile provider salesperson asked me once: Web-O-WHAT?) and overprices the devices horrendously and gets ridiculed. Ofc. the revenue numbers are as non existent as the marketing (isn't it always?) -- Too little, too late, as always, HP.
6) HP goes back into blindfolding. Leo comes and kills WebOS and all the other hardware things saying: "Hey, I know we are the Mc Donalds of hardwarebusines, but from tomorrow on, we stop making burgers. You will get real nice cooking recipies from us now."
7) Leo is axed as well. Second thing they have done right, even though too late. (Too little, too late again).
8) Entry Meg. Now they let WebOS hang in the air for nearly HALF A YEAR while cleaning up all the other shards that had become of the company.
9) They decide open sourcing the OS, giving us some dates, when it is going to be ready.
10) Lay offs, lay offs, lay offs
11) They have a nice, functioning (and in it's time 3 years ago even innovative) mobile OS sitting on the shelves, while the PC market still breaks away.
12) Suddenly somebody's left, cranial frontlobe jerks and a wonderful idea is born: "Let's make tablets again!".
13) Win8 tablets are announced - roughly around the time Microsoft announces to do their own thing ... guess how good THAT will go, sailing agains the wind?
14) Another twitching brain and another idea is born: "Hey, seems like everyone is into smartphones, too. Let's make something like it.
15) An Android smartphone is announced and - oh yeah, sure - HP expects the people to buy a dualcore snapdragon icecreamsandwich, when established brands already use quads and there already is jellybean out. Yea ... sure...
16) No word about WebOS yet, except that they offshored it into a company which does (and now don't fall off your seats laughing) CLOUDcomputing. Yepp, HP, the world needs another cloud. Definitely... hahahahaha

Honestly, HP, your company should stop working in IT busines and get your managers to become stand up comedians ... *whiping a tear away, laughing* ... you are too cute and funny...

The only thing really sad is, that over all that obvious incompetence, WebOS is suffering and we, the ones still holding up the flag are kicked into the "you know what"...

Thanks, HP, thanks for nothing but the laugh.
Old 09/17/2012, 07:56 AM   #100 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobs View Post
"HP doesn't yet have a strategy for mobile phones." Meg Whitman H-P Tries On a Sleeker Look - WSJ.com
Anything else of news in that article?
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0