webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Interesting news from Whitman
Interesting news from Whitman
Like Tree61Likes

Old 09/14/2012, 03:06 PM   #61 (permalink)

Doesn't HP have to pay Microsoft a licensing fee for each Windows phone sold? (yes). On the other hand, they pay no one for WebOS.

Furthermore, they employee a number of people to develope WebOS and some of you say that once they make a smartphone WebOS won't be on it. Interesting.

Like the Treo, I think they will release two phones, Win8 (could be Win9 by the time the phone is released) and a WebOS phone. I can't wait.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 09/14/2012, 03:26 PM   #62 (permalink)

I am not a betting person, I do not gamble, nor do I waste my money, I would buy everyone on this forum a HP Open webOS phone... (I am kidding of course as I do not gamble)

But I would buy it for myself, and I would buy 10 more and raffle them off... Lets see who can make the best native Open webOS Game, Application like Office, etc...

As I do not gamble, I think I have 100% confidence in HP/Palm, I am willing to put some money where my thoughts take me, but as I feel it will not happen it is a safe bet?

Last edited by John Steffes; 09/14/2012 at 03:33 PM.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2012, 03:42 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
This is my opinion only, just my two cents, on just because there is a form factor, we need to be on that form factorů Make calculators at least I know HP/Palm is good at that.
so was Commodore.
Old 09/14/2012, 03:47 PM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
so was Commodore.
Still have my Commodore 64c and SX-64 (greatest luggable), but have a HP financial calculator one of the best in the business...
Old 09/14/2012, 04:08 PM   #65 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
"We've got to do it right this time" - that could be taken different ways, but I don't like the way it sounded.

Well, I don't think anyone can deny that what's happened so far in their phone divisions, has been completely wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgpopovich View Post
Putting out a smartphone because you have to in order to be a computing company doesn't sound like a company that is at all interested in developing and sustaining a mobile platform - especially if your tablets are going to be featuring Windows 8. There would be little point in promoting smartphones for computing unless they ran software that was compatible with your tablets. HP didn't buy Palm to get into the smartphone business and I doubt that strategy has changed.
The tablet and phone combination hasn't really taken off like Palm and RIM thought it should. Like they've tried to make it do. Of course, Palm didn't have the opportunity with the Leopocalypse. RIM has some of the features on Bridge, but Palm came out with integration features that I think are far more compelling. None of the others have any kind of integration whatsoever, other than that if your tablet and your phone are on the same Google or Apple accounts, they can access the same data via the cloud, and the same apps, if they are compatible. Only PlayBook/BlackBerry and webOS actually have features to integrate the devices together.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2012, 05:02 PM   #66 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
At least make another one with QWERTY please... I beg you.
They will make both, slab and with Qwerty.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2012, 05:11 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Quote Modifed

The tablet and phone combination hasn't really taken off like Palm and RIM thought it should. Like they've tried to make it do. Of course, Palm didn't have the opportunity with the Leopocalypse. RIM has some of the features on Bridge, but Palm came out with integration features that I think are far more compelling. None of the others have any kind of integration whatsoever, other than that if your tablet and your phone are on the same Google or Apple accounts, they can access the same data via the cloud, and the same apps, if they are compatible. Only PlayBook/BlackBerry and webOS actually have features to integrate the devices together.
I use my Phone (PrePlus with webOS 2.2.4) and Touchpad (webOS 3.0.5 with LunaCE 4.9.5), all the time with SMS sharing and as a BlueTooth Phone device. So it took off with me, browsing websites, get a call, talk, then (with WiFi) do other things watch movie trailer, use send to webOS (DataJog) send the link to the person I am talking to, etc...

It took off for me... Love my apps on both devices...
Thanked By: SmartKidsOnTheRun
Old 09/14/2012, 05:37 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
"We've got to do it right this time" - that could be taken different ways, but I don't like the way it sounded.

I prefer Meg meant that touchpad was released too soon without the proper support and big name app partners. Pre 3 never officially released so doesn't count. Veer was good niche phone but didn't suit most people's tastes. i.e. they misread the market's desire for megasized phones.
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2012, 05:53 PM   #69 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
I use my Phone (PrePlus with webOS 2.2.4) and Touchpad (webOS 3.0.5 with LunaCE 4.9.5), all the time with SMS sharing and as a BlueTooth Phone device. So it took off with me, browsing websites, get a call, talk, then (with WiFi) do other things watch movie trailer, use send to webOS (DataJog) send the link to the person I am talking to, etc...

It took off for me... Love my apps on both devices...
I really think that having both the features of webOS for integrating between the devices, and Blackberry's Bridge, would be just the most fantastic thing. Although I rarely use the telephone function, I certainly do love being able to have my phone sitting downstairs in my office on it's touchstone, and my tablet upstairs in my room, able to receive a call if needed. it's nice. I don't use the SMS sharing anymore, now that I have Google Voice integration on my TouchPad .. and once I get it smoothed out on phones, hopefully I won't need SMS at all on the phone.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2012, 06:49 PM   #70 (permalink)

No WP8.
https://twitter.com/webosinternals/s...54968881741824

Thanks for this awesome s*** HP.
wMarck90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2012, 07:11 PM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
No WP8.

Thats hard to believe. But, it's HP.

etphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2012, 12:47 AM   #72 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wMarck90 View Post
No WP8.

I will still say MEH.... The TouchPad hardware was first designed to run an OS other than webOS.... Android is free, and the HP tag is slim, they could be testing many pieces of hardware with an open OS.

Either way it has been known that the TouchPad hardware was built before webOS was owned by HP, even if this is a legit HP hardware test... doesn't mean it's legit or a final build...

Please if anyone can convert this to solid evidence of anything please explain to the rest of us...
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2012, 12:56 AM   #73 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
I will still say MEH.... The TouchPad hardware was first designed to run an OS other than webOS.... Android is free, and the HP tag is slim, they could be testing many pieces of hardware with an open OS.

Either way it has been known that the TouchPad hardware was built before webOS was owned by HP, even if this is a legit HP hardware test... doesn't mean it's legit or a final build...

Please if anyone can convert this to solid evidence of anything please explain to the rest of us...
Agree, and who knows if that HP Android Bender is an old hardware before the TouchPad webos. I remember someone recieved and Android TouchPad instead a webOS.

There is no date on those benchmark charts: http://www.slashgear.com/hp-bender-a...ails-14247675/
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Thanked By: OldSkoolVWLover
Old 09/15/2012, 03:05 AM   #74 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Where in my posts do I assert HP will do better in emerging markets than the competition?

Nowhere.

Why are you trying to counter my parallel argument?
I am trying to counter it because I misunderstood what you said and I need to pay better attention - apologises for that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 09/15/2012, 03:21 AM   #75 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
Agree, and who knows if that HP Android Bender is an old hardware before the TouchPad webos. I remember someone recieved and Android TouchPad instead a webOS.

There is no date on those benchmark charts: http://www.slashgear.com/hp-bender-a...ails-14247675/
Can't be that old the spec and the fact that is running running 4.0.4 means that if it is real it must be a recent development.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2012, 06:43 AM   #76 (permalink)

If the new smartphone is android..would I be alone in giving up hope for a new HP made webos smartphone?
kel101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2012, 07:04 AM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
Interesting indeed! I wonder if its going to be a webOS or WP8 device?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
If it is a WP8 smartphone, I am buying it.
If it is a weBOS smartphone, I am buying it either.
habergowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2012, 10:06 AM   #78 (permalink)

As usual we will have to wait and see....

While webOS is waiting for why do i have to wait FOREVER...........
Old 09/15/2012, 10:47 AM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wMarck90 View Post
No WP8.

yup just read this on android central. kind of weird they wouldn't go with open webos but i think releasing a android phone is a smart move for them. maybe they will blend parts of webos with android to give us a taste of something new?
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2012, 10:58 AM   #80 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
yup just read this on android central. kind of weird they wouldn't go with open webos but i think releasing a android phone is a smart move for them. maybe they will blend parts of webos with android to give us a taste of something new?
The only way HP could compete is if they offered a high-end portrait slider Android phone. HTC, Samsung, and the others already have the slab form factor more than covered. I would love to see them make a light webOS "skin" on top of Android.
Thanked By: ToniCipriani

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0