webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Interesting news from Whitman
Interesting news from Whitman
Like Tree61Likes

Old 09/14/2012, 07:45 AM   #21 (permalink)

HP Windows Pre4 all the way !!! Ha ha !
P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2012, 07:57 AM   #22 (permalink)

The "get it right" she is talking about could be the quality or build of the phone itself. Being an owner of the original Palm Pre on Sprint - I know what she was talking about.

On top of that it soured Spring on this type of device.

The Pre 2 and 3 were not given the proper chances.
does321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kataran likes this.
Old 09/14/2012, 08:20 AM   #23 (permalink)

how can they not make a smartphone that at least duel boots open webOS....

then why start up Gram???????????

Meg is intelligent enough to consider that they would sell more HP smartphones if webOS is applied to it....in fact i will pre order right now if i could!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09/14/2012, 08:30 AM   #24 (permalink)

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/14/3331282/hp-working-on-smartphone

Will it include WebOS, you think, or Windows Phone?
astraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2012, 08:33 AM   #25 (permalink)

HP has severed webOS from consumer devices and will use it only for cloud--backend, enterprise, large companies who need cloud for their backbone and need innovative HP IP (??) apps to run the cloud. That is why the name change was so distinctive from Palm --gr.am. That memo Derek quoted also said no HP consumer devices for webOS. (We'll find out soon enough what is distinctive about webOS to make the pitch for enterprise cloud.)

At the same time, HP has made webOS open source so that if another manufacturer picks it up and devs pick it up, HP may come back to it for consumer devices at some point down the road (whitman interview with verge Dec or Jan of this past year).
So the positive is that HP will continue to develop webOS code so they can drive sales of the service market they consider to be hot--Cloud. This way they neatly sidestep the app ecosystem build problem they had with webOS.

And webos ports and third parties can try to do something with the consumer market. This way if someone else solves the app ecosystem problem, HP has a property also worthwhile in the consumer market without HP having to invest in it.

And near term, the HP phone would be win8 to drive sales of their pcs and tablets with win8.

This is all my speculation. But it fits the few facts we have.

Sorry. Just being hardheaded.
I still think theres enough unknown in the personal market that a third party could pick up webOS. But this also depends on webOS being able to run android. And I don't (yet) hear of a way to do this (openmobile after giving a date in May on their site has been silent on dates, they have not reconfirmed and they may have stepped back until a 3rd party OEM comes in as HP is no longer in webOS consumer)
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2012, 08:34 AM   #26 (permalink)

it took them this long to realize this?

HP must be run by the dumbest people in the world.

whatever they decide to do i better be able to run webOS on it one way or another.
emceesquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2012, 08:57 AM   #27 (permalink)

Just read the article, thanks for the post. It adds another glimmer of hope that Meg is at least making a good faith effort to undo the damage caused by the Leopocalypse. Here's hoping she follows through and we see another WebOS phone eventually show up...

I'm a 'glass half full' type of guy anyway, lol...

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
gihmley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2012, 09:00 AM   #28 (permalink)

Given that HP are invested in Win8 it is hard to see they would choose anything other than WP8 for any new smartphone. Selling any other plan to the board would surely be a very hard sell.

The best that we can hope for I think is that, having invested in a new hardware design, they may produce a WebOS version on the side.
andyhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: slbailey1
Old 09/14/2012, 09:11 AM   #29 (permalink)

I thinking HP will release 2 phones; a Windows 8 Phone and a WebOS phone. The Windows 8 Phone will be the high end phone and the WebOS phone will be the low end phone.
slbailey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2012, 09:28 AM   #30 (permalink)

I don't see why HP can't -- and wouldn't -- release a Windows 8 phone AND a good quality WebOS phone. Samsung does Android and WIndows phones, there's no reason HP can't do both - and in doing so they'd open themselves up to the Windows phone afficianados, and they'd keep their WebOS fans happy as well, as well as see some return on their initial WebOS investment.

Personally, I think this is probably the route they'll go, if they get back into the mobile market. It would make the most financial sense and give them two potential revenue platforms rather than one.

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
gihmley is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by richiemoe likes this.
Old 09/14/2012, 09:34 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
now they are going to build a real smartphone with a real os.
Linux is a real OS, not this Windows Phone OS garbage.

I think they should make platform agnostic hardware. It should be able to run Win 8 Phone, or Android, or Open webOS, or Firefox OS, or even straight up Ubuntu, or Windows RT, or whatever any clever individuals wants to load onto it. HP should be making compelling enough hardware that is open and accessible to it's customers, and not limiting it's audience via the software that runs on it.

HP's own cloud services, which you'd imagine might be in play with their mobility solutions, should be completely client agnostic.

Last edited by jcerwinske; 09/14/2012 at 09:43 AM.
jcerwinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2012, 09:43 AM   #32 (permalink)

maybe i'm thinking too far back, but the old Treo's had the option of either Palm or Windows when i ordered the phone. i of course went with Palm os. but if HP is going to dump a lot of money into hardware again and they have already dumped a lot of money into developing open webOS, then why wouldn't they offer the option to choose windows 8 or webOS on the phones??? they will probably market win 8 a lot more, but have the option for the people who want it to order a phone with our beloved webOS!! just saying....

by the way, called it!! HP has made a lot of bad calls in the past, but a company like HP isn't going to dump that much money into something and not have anything up their sleeves...
richiemoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2012, 10:07 AM   #33 (permalink)

I hope Windows Phone, if not WebOS. And Pre3 style phone on WP8 with duel core and more ram ... Better screen ... Aaahh I would love that phone!
astraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2012, 10:28 AM   #34 (permalink)

this is like a true comeback story! LOL what are the chances anything would happen to Palm after HP butchered it up? then Meg says they will develop it "Open Source". ok, will maybe someday on a nice phone. then this comes along. If and big IF, HP can manufacture an actually decent smartphone, with Palm(i hate the name webOS), and use android apps or provide a lot more apps for us, then the phones will have a fighting chance. Apple has been very popular and is slowly losing their momentum. the iphone 5 doesn't have any of the "special" features their "loyal" bandwagon customers had hoped for. HTC was the big dog for awhile, now Samsung is. besides the $1 billion lawsuit, someone else will come along and be big next, i'm thinking Blackberry will actually make a comeback as the "business phone" again, but won't be at the top. HP has the technology to create something great. Meg stated they want to do it right this time. I trust her! What do I have to lose? i don't see why HP with Palm can't be named as a legitimate contender in the coming years. I'm from Michigan. the Lions have ALWAYS sucked! look at them now! there is always hope! if the Lions can with a Super Bowl, Pontiac produces cars again and HP can manufacture a decent phone with Palm and plenty of apps, the stars will have aligned and life will actually be close to perfect!!!! hahahaha
richiemoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2012, 10:38 AM   #35 (permalink)

I believe it is still gonna be a never ending waiting game, I honestly feel the future of WebOS is after-market firmware. Just like AOSP and CM series.
blm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2012, 10:40 AM   #36 (permalink)
News Contributor

The interviewer is asking Meg :"If you bought Palm why not an smartphone"? Meg answered we made a detour on that, but we are taking the time to make it right" " smartphone is a primary device over tablets,laptops and desktops" "We are a computer company, we will make an smartphone"

IMHO HP is going to make a new slab webOS smartphone some time, for 2013, after launching webOS Open and see how the things will go through with the OEM`s in the market that might pick the OS.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and richiemoe like this.
Old 09/14/2012, 10:47 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
The interviewer is asking Meg :"If you bought Palm why not an smartphone"? Meg answered we made a detour on that, but we are taking the time to make it right" " smartphone is a primary device over tablets,laptops and desktops" "We are a computer company, we will make an smartphone"

IMHO HP is going to make a new slab webOS smartphone some time, for 2013, after launching webOS Open and see how the things will go through with the OEM`s in the market that might pick the OS.
ill believe it when i can pre-order one and not before, even WHEN it turns out its not webOS, id buy it IF it was similar to a pre3 as in gesture area/physical keyboard etc and could have windows removed and open webOS stuffed into it.
Old 09/14/2012, 11:02 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Could be they already working on it. Just don't let it have that button to get in the way of my gestures like the windsornot
That button was never in the way... if you read the manual on the original Pre the gesture area is ABOVE the button. :P
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2012, 11:04 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post

At least make another one with QWERTY please... I beg you.
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
Thanked by OldSkoolVWLover, Rnp
Old 09/14/2012, 11:29 AM   #40 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Probly the best we can hope for is that they build a phone that webos can run on. Not likely tho
I am *hoping* that it is a WP8 device with the appropriate support for Open webOS for those that want to hack it on. It will be a slab which makes me sad, but I would still probably be interested IF it took a regular size SIM (depending on when it actually happens this may be moot, but I don't want to give up my physical KB completely).

We shall see, as of right now I am of the belief that they have nobody to develop hardware so we are a long ways away from anything hardware wise coming from HP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
At least make another one with QWERTY please... I beg you.
YES!!!
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0