webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > gr.am discussion thread
gr.am discussion thread
Like Tree17Likes

Old 08/16/2012, 03:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hiya

I hope there is no official "Gram" discussion thread yet (didn't find one) so I start this here.

First and foremost, as an austrian having german as mother tongue (for germans: yes it really IS a german dialect... lol) here something interesting about the word "Gram".

English "gram" would mean "Gramm" in german language, means basically the same = a unit of weight, albeit a very small one.
But there is also the word "Gram" in german, which means "grief" if translated to english, which is probably fitting as many WebOS fans might feel a lot of that at the moment

As for the HP outsourcing the WebOS GBU into the company "Gram", I see this with as we say "a crying and a laughing eye".
IMHO the aspects to this are as such:
1) (positive) getting rid of the "looser" image of HP and WebOS, that clings to the brand ever since the Leo-cataclysm.
2) (positive) HP being the biggest hardwaremanufacturer has a hard time convincing another (competitive) hardwaremanufacturer to put an OS on their devices, that is produced by HP but in which HP has not enough trust to put it on their own devices. A seperate company like Gram might have a better angle on that market.
BUT, and now for the bad points ...
3) (negative) the whole thing cries "PALM SOURCE" very loudly, a venture that was a grave mistake and was certainly one of the major reasons for Palms downslide.
4) (negative) It is now probably easier for HP to reduce or cut the funding of the new company anytime and force them to get more funding from the market (which might be good again, motivation wise). Seeing the 8 bil $ writeoff of the last quarter, I would presume the Gram funding is a step in that direction (cut loose things, where profit chances are slim)
5) (neutral) if they had used "Palm" instead of "Gram" they would have had (at least in US) a known name to connect to on the market. On the other hand, the name Gram wipes the slate clean and you can start anew, with all the problems and benefits included...

So yes, I do not yet know what to make of it, as the company themselves does not give us ANYTHING to hint us in the direction they are going.
Is the AppCatalog being serviced ongoing?
Are they looking for new licensees (smartphone/tabletproducers)
etc ...

In the best of cases, we will have an ongoing AppCatalog and new Hardware with openWebOS soon ( which I hope, but don't dare to believe)
In the worst of cases, they sell patents off until their is nothing left...

Probably we will experience something inbetween...
Old 08/16/2012, 05:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Besides how the name Gram can sound i, or we, must admit it as a beautiful logo.
Many reasons can stand behind the choice of HP of building up a whole new company but i don't look at it as a mistaked one.
We still don't know much about it but i've been wondering a lot about the relation it can be between the Gram's presentaion mail emphasis about webos, ENYO and the CLOUD SERVICES and the steps it's making ENYO itself to be crossplatform.
I believe we might soon get to know a new cloud platform based on the Enyo technologies with the Gram brand. Something who might be kind of comparable to the iCloud, to Gmai and its relationship to Android. Somewhere we can log in the way we do for those or into Mozilla's account and future Marketplace or Facebook itself and its apps, and get through it a certain amount of storage to save datas, a certain amount of apps to do "things" with and a certain access to contents. Some kind of Google Apps based on the whole Open webOS technologies.
In a few words: a Gram cloud based (web)OS.
The native side of the Open webOS project then could power a future generation of devices which could be made from any OEM and HP, or Gram, could make money in a way now Amazon or Google are. Selling cloud storage and web services.

If this is the idea behind it, even if i don't have enough tech background to explain it, we'll soon forget about Palm and about the last two years.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1101321...CLWjg66bgMPqKA
sgamao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2012, 06:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

My opinion is that HP is gathering together twe few people left in Palm, acknowledging two things: They have the cloud (Palm profile servers) and the clients (Enyo running on top of whatever other kernel), so why not building an ecosystem around it, under a new, non-cursed name?

Well, wake me up when there's PRODUCT. Like I said before, this looks frightenngly identical to the whole Amiga curse.

The future of webOS is homebrew. And I love that. I don't want an ordinary, commodity device.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2012, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
My opinion is that HP is gathering together twe few people left in Palm, acknowledging two things: They have the cloud (Palm profile servers) and the clients (Enyo running on top of whatever other kernel), so why not building an ecosystem around it, under a new, non-cursed name?

Well, wake me up when there's PRODUCT. Like I said before, this looks frightenngly identical to the whole Amiga curse.

The future of webOS is homebrew. And I love that. I don't want an ordinary, commodity device.
Ah Gram Kracker add warm water and you have soft brown mess to clean up!
eshum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2012, 09:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

whatever it's HP planning to catch out thanks to this Gram project i have to say that for any OEM interested of being less chained to Apple, Google or Microsoft both Mozilla with B2G and other projects and the team behind Open webOS, Enyo and Isis are developing the most important and interesting solutions.
Old 08/17/2012, 07:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgamao View Post
Besides how the name Gram can sound i, or we, must admit it as a beautiful logo.
Many reasons can stand behind the choice of HP of building up a whole new company but i don't look at it as a mistaked one.
We still don't know much about it but i've been wondering a lot about the relation it can be between the Gram's presentaion mail emphasis about webos, ENYO and the CLOUD SERVICES and the steps it's making ENYO itself to be crossplatform.
I believe we might soon get to know a new cloud platform based on the Enyo technologies with the Gram brand. Something who might be kind of comparable to the iCloud, to Gmai and its relationship to Android. Somewhere we can log in the way we do for those or into Mozilla's account and future Marketplace or Facebook itself and its apps, and get through it a certain amount of storage to save datas, a certain amount of apps to do "things" with and a certain access to contents. Some kind of Google Apps based on the whole Open webOS technologies.
In a few words: a Gram cloud based (web)OS.
The native side of the Open webOS project then could power a future generation of devices which could be made from any OEM and HP, or Gram, could make money in a way now Amazon or Google are. Selling cloud storage and web services.

If this is the idea behind it, even if i don't have enough tech background to explain it, we'll soon forget about Palm and about the last two years.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1101321...CLWjg66bgMPqKA
Yeah I think Gram/HP is going to open up a couple of turnkey ecosystems for 2nd tier OEMS. These OEMS want to make their hardware devices with a decent os wihout getting crushed by Android's gorillas Samsung and Motorola, or paying windows licensing. They get to rent their space from HP using HPs boring but functional enterprise hardware/software. HP washes itself of hardware so as not to compete with these guys. The OEMs may be Chinese or international companies that we don't know well. Software is not their forte so openWebOS and Gram can do the software and the OEMs make their devices. If the OEMs are really into it, they can buy into Gram so they have some control over things. As opposed to android where Google gets to favor whichever OEM it wants at its whim and schedule.
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2012, 08:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Now, this is just a shot in the dark and purely speculation, but did anyone else read this yet? OnLive officially sold to 'newly-formed company,' will continue service | The Verge

OnLive was said to be bought by a 'newly formed company.' Since the company did involve cloud service a la streaming games, does anyone else think this could possibly be GRAM's first acquisition as a company?
Old 08/18/2012, 03:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
Yeah I think Gram/HP is going to open up a couple of turnkey ecosystems for 2nd tier OEMS. These OEMS want to make their hardware devices with a decent os wihout getting crushed by Android's gorillas Samsung and Motorola, or paying windows licensing. They get to rent their space from HP using HPs boring but functional enterprise hardware/software. HP washes itself of hardware so as not to compete with these guys. The OEMs may be Chinese or international companies that we don't know well. Software is not their forte so openWebOS and Gram can do the software and the OEMs make their devices. If the OEMs are really into it, they can buy into Gram so they have some control over things. As opposed to android where Google gets to favor whichever OEM it wants at its whim and schedule.
I want to believe there's something more exciting ahead the project than just a couple of chinese phone makers who don't want to use Android or WP.
Following the last news:

HP Forms Mobility Global Business Unit, Proving Again HP Needs A New Business Naming Unit | TechCrunch

it seems HP it's reorganizing their ideas and plans for future devices but they decided for "who knows exactly the reasons" to split a certain software developing into a new company.
HP it's surely going to produce some Windows 8 hardware and surely not going to embrace Android. They might try again some webOS products but they open up the developing of it to more funding resources then those coming from HP itself.
The Palm brand it's now definitely shutting down and webOS is turning open and it's being taken care from a bunch of developers who work under the Gram umbrella. HP, after it, it's re-focusing on making hardware, their primary business.
Not to forget that Jon Rubistein is yet sitting on Amazon's board of directors and it's not impossible we might have soon a openwebOS version of the Kindle tablet.
Nevertheless it's possible what 2Phresh is suggesting about the interest in an online gaming platform to add at the other openwebOS technologies.
Old 08/18/2012, 06:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Phresh View Post
Now, this is just a shot in the dark and purely speculation, but did anyone else read this yet? OnLive officially sold to 'newly-formed company,' will continue service | The Verge

OnLive was said to be bought by a 'newly formed company.' Since the company did involve cloud service a la streaming games, does anyone else think this could possibly be GRAM's first acquisition as a company?
The "newly-formed company" might be this:

Amazon Game Studios

Amazon Games Studio
Old 09/11/2012, 11:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well, the logo is on the site. But it's a start! I reckon I'll keep pressing F5 for the next month or so. :P
Old 09/11/2012, 11:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

It's been there for a week or so.
HelmutsKohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2012, 11:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmutsKohl View Post
It's been there for a week or so.
Well, I haven't checked it in about a week or so, so it makes sense I'm just seeing it lol
Old 09/12/2012, 03:29 AM   #13 (permalink)

Yep, and there hasn't been any commented out source code either.
i2y4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/12/2012, 06:57 AM   #14 (permalink)

Well, those who don't have the Prelude font can install it from the website now.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/12/2012, 05:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
Yep, and there hasn't been any commented out source code either.
I'm sorry but

No we never noticed!

Just kidding
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/12/2012, 05:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

Anybody wish to speculate on what gram will be doing? Porting WebOS onto everything? A new device? Developing the code?

Massive wishful thinking, but I want Pre4.
Old 09/12/2012, 06:27 PM   #17 (permalink)

LOL I was wondering if the domain was gonna have a problem with my web filter, but I didn't get a notice...
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/12/2012, 07:50 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorri788 View Post
Anybody wish to speculate on what gram will be doing? Porting WebOS onto everything? A new device? Developing the code?

Massive wishful thinking, but I want Pre4.
My guess is Gram will customize open webOS for OEMs who will make the hardware. Gram will help set up cloud systems (using HP servers of course) and support to get the phone or tablet going. This may be necessary for smaller OEM players who don't have the software expertise to do this themselves. Question is who will be the OEM makers and will they serve the US, European market. Maybe more likely asian market where ios and android don't dominate completely.
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2012, 11:05 AM   #19 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

գրամ կենդանի է, կենդանի է եւ բարգավաճել!
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2012, 12:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

A very reliable source told me when can expect more info by the end of this month. I have seen Gram "merchandise" already too, so I'm quite sure it's been in the works for a while already probably....

Tags
gram, open webos

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0