webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open WebOS will not be for existing TouchPads????
Open WebOS will not be for existing TouchPads????
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vizZir

Old 09/11/2012, 04:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hi
I thought I'd share some information with you all. Hopefully I have totally misread this article and am wrong, but it appears that Open WebOS will not be available for existing devices (i.e. TouchPads)

HP kills the platform again: Open webOS not for existing HP devices | ZDNet

Please, please, someone tell me I'm wrong!! If Open WebOS cannot be installed on existing TouchPads, and I'm assuming that all development effort in the future will be geared towards apps running on Open WebOS, then that leaves all TP owners in the lurch.

If true, I might as well just install Android CM9 over the top of WebOS and forget all about it (which I really don't want to do).

Can someone please read the link above and tell me I'm wrong??

Thanks
touchpadtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2012, 05:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

We knew that, and it seems to be true. But let's wait until OpenWebos is fully released and *maybe* some people might be able to port it to the Touchpad or phone devices. Time will tell, and don't panic, there's plenty of time to see things coming
Old 09/11/2012, 05:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
We knew that, and it seems to be true. But let's wait until OpenWebos is fully released and *maybe* some people might be able to port it to the Touchpad or phone devices. Time will tell, and don't panic, there's plenty of time to see things coming
Thanks for confirming. Hopefully someone will be able to port it onto the TP, but it's a real shame (and a kick in the teeth) for existing TP owners
Old 09/11/2012, 06:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Common knowledge an often discussed here. No openWebOS support for "legacy" devices by HP.

Be it as it is, there is still LunaCE for the touchpad, which incorporates much more and is a REAL update, not just an "open source version of what we already have".

Look around here in the forum
Old 09/11/2012, 06:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

You can't overwrite webOS with Android, although you can dual boot it. Even though it's been publicized that Open webOS will not be for existing devices, officially, I have faith in the Homebrew community in making it happen. There's a lot of amazing talent, strong motivation, and willingness to succeed in that group. They have already gone leaps and bounds beyond what was provided by HP.....and Palm before that.
Old 09/11/2012, 07:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
You can't overwrite webOS with Android, although you can dual boot it. Even though it's been publicized that Open webOS will not be for existing devices, officially, I have faith in the Homebrew community in making it happen. There's a lot of amazing talent, strong motivation, and willingness to succeed in that group. They have already gone leaps and bounds beyond what was provided by HP.....and Palm before that.
Thanks for your replies. I'll take a look at LunaCE with a view to installing it. You're right, there is an awful lot of talent and determination to make WebOS a success, and I take my hat of to everyone involved. My view is that WebOS is THE best tablet OS so if it will still be developed in the future, then I am very happy.

All we need to work out now is how to run Android Apps on the TP

Thanks again
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 09/12/2012, 01:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

I hope owners of HP Pre 3 won't be forgotten... A kind of LunaCE would be great for them.
vizZir is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 09/14/2012, 03:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizZir View Post
I hope owners of HP Pre 3 won't be forgotten... A kind of LunaCE would be great for them.
It would, but until HP releases the source for WebOS 2 as a community edition like they did webOS 3 there's little chance of that happening. There's no base to start from for the phones.
bearda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2012, 03:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Some in webOS-ports attempted a Pre3 LunaCE compile, but it did not function yet...

Maybe with enough developers/coders someone can figure out why?
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2012, 03:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
Some in webOS-ports attempted a Pre3 LunaCE compile, but it did not function yet...

Maybe with enough developers/coders someone can figure out why?
because its a part of the 3.0.x webOS and the pre3 is 2.0.x, its like trying to fit a horseshoe on a dog, it might go on with some poking and prodding but its definatly not going on normally.

would be a nice addition ofc.
Old 09/14/2012, 06:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

http://www.ericbla.de/synergv/weekend-diversion/
kill_dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2012, 01:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

There are instructions for getting it "running" on Pre3 over on the webos-ports wiki. My point of ultimate failure is documented there, as well. It may be possible to build it now, with the other open source parts, but I don't really know. Someone may be able to figure out how to get through that point of failure even without it.

On the other hand, someone could try adding several megabytes to their main file system, and just copying webOS 3 onto it.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2012, 02:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

And there are more pics

Index of /ce
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0