webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Kindle Fire HD
Kindle Fire HD

Old 09/06/2012, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hey! Did anyone else who was following the Amazon event today catch what processors the Kindle Fire HD were going to use? TI OMAP 4470 - the same one blogged about by Derek here:

What mobile devices might support Open webOS? Think Nexus, think N9

If what I'm reading and hearing is right, this tablet might be a consideration when OpenWebOS is released! Also, at that price point, how could we go wrong?!

Does anyone else have more insight?
mstrblueskys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2012, 06:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrblueskys View Post
Hey! Did anyone else who was following the Amazon event today catch what processors the Kindle Fire HD were going to use? TI OMAP 4470 - the same one blogged about by Derek here:

What mobile devices might support Open webOS? Think Nexus, think N9

If what I'm reading and hearing is right, this tablet might be a consideration when OpenWebOS is released! Also, at that price point, how could we go wrong?!

Does anyone else have more insight?
I am hoping to get the 7 inch version for $199... I have the orignal version... running Open webOS would be amazing.
webos_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2012, 02:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

I agree, would be a very good start: affordable mainstream tablet with honest compatible specs
Old 09/07/2012, 05:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
cgk

Rod has this to say about the matter on the front-page:

Quote:
Closed source proprietary binary kernel drivers and userspace ABI helper apps.
Getting CM running on a device is not indicative of being able to get Open webOS running on the same device. There are significant API and ABI differences between Android and webOS, and there is no guarantee that wrappers or adapters to bridge that gap are feasible or practical.

Note that CM usually redistributes the vendor's proprietary drivers to get Android running on devices like this. There are no vendor proprietary drivers for webOS available.
-- Rod
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 09/07/2012, 02:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yep, saw that today. Bummer!
mstrblueskys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2012, 06:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
Rod has this to say about the matter on the front-page:
To be fair, point of Rod's comment is more related to differences of porting CM and OpenwebOS, than about prospects of porting OpenwebOS to Kindle HD. He just pointed that if something is doable for Android it doesent mean its Automaticly doable for OpenwebOS.
Old 09/09/2012, 09:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

9/10 probability that the bootloader will be high-security locked. Leaving it unlocked would provide an easy way for modders to remove the built-in ads without paying the $15 surcharge.

Tags
devices, kindle fire hd, openwebos

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0