webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Daring Fireball gets it :)
Daring Fireball gets it :)
Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By geekpeter
  • 1 Post By eblade
  • 4 Post By kataran
  • 1 Post By Rockbeast
  • 3 Post By geekpeter
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover

Old 09/05/2012, 04:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Interesting quote from John Gruber's Daring Fireball (one of the most pro-Apple blogs out there) in an article on september 3: "Donít forget Palm, which arguably had the most innovative post-iPhone UI (and Iíd go so far as to say, inarguably, the best post-iPad tablet UI), but which completely imploded on the market."

So although HP completely messed up the business model around webOS; even Apple aficionados do appreciate the excellence of webOS.
ridmaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2012, 08:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridmaur View Post
Interesting quote from John Gruber's Daring Fireball (one of the most pro-Apple blogs out there) in an article on september 3: "Don’t forget Palm, which arguably had the most innovative post-iPhone UI (and I’d go so far as to say, inarguably, the best post-iPad tablet UI), but which completely imploded on the market."

So although HP completely messed up the business model around webOS; even Apple aficionados do appreciate the excellence of webOS.
I really hate Apple and Apple *******.

But I'm sure they hate me as well, and while I'll admit the ios ui is mostly slick and responsive...Its still Crapple. Digital communism at it's best.

/slightlyofftopic

Pretty cool that an Apple ****** admits WebOS was the best shot at a slick ui (which I agree) post-iOS. Only makes sense because original Apple developers who worked on the first iOS...well, Palm kinda attracted to the original Nova (webos) project.

<staff edit>

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/05/2012 at 02:36 PM.
Shadowflank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2012, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

every time i meet an apple "fan" at work now i always ask "why" they insist its better than whatever phone the person their talking too has, its amazing how generic/clueless most replys are, almost as if blackberrys/pre's/android phones are somehow incapable of browsing the web (a phone is apparantly automatically garbage unless it has several browsers as an example) or using twitter etc, and its almost certain every "demo" of their iphones awesomeness ends up just running various games.

still havent found anything "wow" for my new ipad3 even the bigger display is pretty MEH, its not like i notice much tbh, still feels constricted/less useful than id imagined from the hype you used to read here from people walking away from their touchpads/pre's or talking to friends/family about their devices, its the only reason i took the plunge and got one just to see what the fuss was about

still a firm believer that whatever works best for you and does what you want is enough, for me thats webOS, im weird tho i prioritise a friendly OS over the apps that run over it, hell my cousin still uses his nokia C6/symbian phone as its good enough for him.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 09/05/2012, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

iOS isn't so bad. It's definitely better than everything that Google has put out, tablet iOS is definitely better than PlayBook OS, and it does have the force of a whole hell of a lot of apps that are far, far better than their counterparts on any other system. I can't comment on the phone OS vs BlackBerry but I'd be surprised if it wasn't lightyears beyond BBOS .. and Windows Phone.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 09/05/2012, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

my union President went iphone from android so the rest of the committee members followed suit so now at meetings they sit there with there iphones on the table with fancy cases on them clueless and afraid to pick them up

i constantly text them so they turn there ringers off every time I walk in

you couldn't pay me to have anymore fun than I'm having now
Old 09/05/2012, 12:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
iOS isn't so bad. It's definitely better than everything that Google has put out, tablet iOS is definitely better than PlayBook OS, and it does have the force of a whole hell of a lot of apps that are far, far better than their counterparts on any other system. I can't comment on the phone OS vs BlackBerry but I'd be surprised if it wasn't lightyears beyond BBOS .. and Windows Phone.
its definatly tidy/uniform/smooth as a plus for it, my issue is actually finding apps of worth, i end up scouring youtube/google to see what others have aquired, some stuffs only really of use for the phones, some tablets, some too old to work correctly on the new ipad, then theres the fact im not too happy with cydia, i dont even know if its enturely safe (well not cydia but whats found within)/vetted, and its full of horrific adverts making me recoil away most times, already had a heap of pr0n related pics/adverts appear, (not handy if the nephews nearby.

and app store apps, ugh, never can seem to fidn anything useful unless again ive got an exact name of an app from youtube/google etc to search directly for, plus im a proper geek so finding the lack of anything indepth/geeky like no linux/crap all emulators etc, i end up wondering why i even need the insane screen res when nothing of worth uses it.

and im not a believer of the whole AA/quality shots u get side by side showing 1024x768 vs ipad3 res of the same apps, ive had zite for example on touchpad and ipad3 to compare and unless i happen to have super magnifying glasses on i dont see any difference of worth, so i always dismiss the argument "its just better quality" on the ipad3 instantly, it certainly is, but its never seen by me at normal useage at normal reading ranges.

still searching for at least something geeky or impressive to have on the device so i whip it out to do more than watch TVCatchup or Netflix, ti is indeed good for what it is, but its far form the stellar worlds apart improvement some will have me believe.

Btw the Blackberry playbook you mentioned, is that worth adding to a collection of tablets if i already have touchpad/ipad3/chineese generic knockoff android tablet, does it have anything that makes it stand out, is it like the touchpad, a nice geeky/ubuntuable device or locked away liek the ipad or somewhere inbetween like the android variants?

ive never even met someone with 1 of their phones nm tablet, so never been able to leech / play with one before.

i like my gadgets.........provided i find a use.
Old 09/05/2012, 01:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kataran View Post
my union President went iphone from android so the rest of the committee members followed suit so now at meetings they sit there with there iphones on the table with fancy cases on them clueless and afraid to pick them up

Ha, that's funny....

...so...you could pay ME so you could have more fun than you are having now....if you want...

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kataran likes this.
Old 09/05/2012, 02:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:

Old 09/05/2012, 02:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

geekpeter,

I've got the PlayBook solely as a development device. It doesn't seem to me like it's all that interesting -- it's pretty locked down, although I haven't researched any possible rooting of it or whatever. I'm pretty certain that the bootloader is locked out, so I doubt we'll see webOS on it. The system is definitely inspired by webOS, but to me it all feels like a cheap imitation. Yes, you can swipe up to bring up the cards, and you can toss a card by swiping it, and you have the neato left/right gestures .. but i can't even find two apps that I want to run on it. The catalog is almost all super bad Android stuff.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Thanked By: geekpeter
Old 09/05/2012, 02:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

oh, something I do like is to use it as a photo album. However, it's Box.net app is just as annoying as the TouchPad and Android version of box.net .. (the iOS app is completely different, and not nearly as difficult to use) so I guess one of these days I need to figure out how to dump to it from PC ..
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 09/05/2012, 02:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:

HAHAHAHA that is awesome. I don't have personal numbers for my coworkers, but I do think it's funny how all these people I work with now think it's okay to have their cell laying on the counter because they have an iPhone. I started leaving my Pre3 on the table now (in a soft case) at meetings since nobody else seems to care. Most of these folks aren't carrying phones needed for work and are surely conducting personal conversations.

I was sitting in a meeting with our CIO, two IT guys and there supervisor, and a few other people.... the low level supervisor that was only there because she does our budget had her iPhone on the table and must have gotten 10+ text messages, I could feel/hear the table vibrating so much I had to check and make sure it wasn't my phone vibrating against the wooden arm of the chair.... then halfway in she starts replying to the messages not even paying attention to the consultant we were in there to meet with.

Seriously I don't know how everyone having a smartphone has made this okay now, but whatever, I'll pull my Pre3 out and slide it open when needed just to see if anyone is gonna lose it because I'm not carrying a slab.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kataran likes this.
Old 09/05/2012, 04:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
oh, something I do like is to use it as a photo album. However, it's Box.net app is just as annoying as the TouchPad and Android version of box.net .. (the iOS app is completely different, and not nearly as difficult to use) so I guess one of these days I need to figure out how to dump to it from PC ..
id give my left testicle for someone to make the webdav/box.net mount available to webOS native, atm i use it on ubuntuchroot, could then use internalZ to move stuff direct to/from our box.net accounts, could even get apps to use it for backup/storage purposes if present.

for ubuntu to have it native, its as easy as getting davfs2 installed and setting up your email/password and lobbing an entry into fstab to mount the device, guessing a webOS native version would be a pain? I know when i run it thru ubuntu chroot, then card ubuntu, i can actually access the box.net mount via InternalZ by navigating to the ubuntuchroot folder /media/box folder and it works as if native, hella slow tho what with the carded chroot running as well.

would be nice like, if we dont have a proper useful integrated cloud solution, then abuse something else to serve as one.

enclosed snaps of the madness, its chrooted ubuntu carded, but because my ubuntu mounts davfs2 i can access the webdav mount with internalz by browsing the chrooted mount folder.

a native version of that would be pretty fantastic, would eliminate the need for the box app/middleman, would be pretty win using kalem media player or the likes to play/view/etc direct from cloud

EDIT: for a laugh i added an avi to my box.com account, tried accessign it via kalem, refused to even list my ext3fs folder, used touchplayer and it listed fine, selected my avi and it played/streamed over box.com perfectly fine........ ive found a new toy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjUcNftMD2s
clip of a video playing nativly via touchplayer using webdav/davfs2 hosted in ubuntuchroot in the background.

Last edited by geekpeter; 09/05/2012 at 05:10 PM.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2012, 05:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
I've only used the Box.net app a few times on my Touchpad but it really is easy to use in my experience.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2012, 06:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
I've only used the Box.net app a few times on my Touchpad but it really is easy to use in my experience.
The main complaint I have heard and especially in his case is having to download the files to on device storage. For what he wants to do this is just a nuisance and adds steps to attempting the end result.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0