webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > webOS on iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch?
webOS on iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch?
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By GMMan
  • 3 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 1 Post By xandros9
  • 2 Post By RumoredNow

Old 09/04/2012, 09:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Would it be possible? I think Apples hardware would definently give webOS the boost it needs.
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/2012, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

I don't think it's possible. I'm pretty sure I've read that their bootloaders are locked down, so you wouldn't be able to add any other OS to their devices.
Old 09/04/2012, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
I don't think it's possible. I'm pretty sure I've read that their bootloaders are locked down, so you wouldn't be able to add any other OS to their devices.
They were broken into before, pretty sure they can be broken into still

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
Shadowflank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/2012, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

theres not even ubuntu or any linux derivative on an ipad yet so deffo no to webOS.
Old 09/04/2012, 11:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

I would say if webOS can be put on a Mac it would be possible to put it on an iDevice. Or install virtualization software and get a webOS image on for half the functionality.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/2012, 12:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Android can be put on an iDevice.

(The iDroid project IIRC) They got an iPhone 3G and the first (?) ipod touch running android.

As a note, the iPod touch 4 clocks in at a screaming 800 MHz - 1 GHz
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2012, 01:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

If the CyanogenMod guys can't get it going with Android, good freakin' luck. The iPhone 3G iDroid project ended up in a lot of the OS just completely unusable, and the only one they could get running halfway decently was the original iPhone. So no, unless you have knowledge of what it actually takes to make something like this happen, you're kind of grasping at straws in hopes that someday you can tell others you have webOS on an iOS device.

It's not going to happen. The locked-down bootloader is one critical part of the problem, but there are plenty of others beyond that preventing the installation and actual functioning of another OS on their (highly specialized, not typically off-the-shelf) hardware. Unless, of course, your target happens to be the relatively unprotected original iPhone from 2007. But then you're probably stuck with webOS 1.x due to system constraints, defeating the point.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2012, 01:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

And even if you could install webOS on a Mac, it by no means indicates you could install it on an iOS device. Not one bit. I'm not sure where people get ideas like this from, but it would be like saying "Because I can virtualize another OS on Windows 7, I surely must be able to install it on Windows Phone 7!"

Using Parallels you could get Open webOS installed through an Ubuntu 12.04 32-Bit image (after many hours of compilation) or even standalone through a future emulator like they did with the SDK from day 1, but that doesn't mean for a nanosecond it's possible to install anywhere else in Apple's line of products and presenting it as "possible" exposes a severe lack of understanding in how iOS and OSX relate to one another, no matter how close to one another someone might think them to be.

As an aside, seriously, when it comes to installing it on a laptop, would anyone in their right mind spend $1,500 on a unibody Macbook Pro laptop just to install Open webOS as the primary operating system on it? You're better off donating it to people who need to eat, instead.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2012, 07:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
And even if you could install webOS on a Mac, it by no means indicates you could install it on an iOS device. Not one bit. I'm not sure where people get ideas like this from, but it would be like saying "Because I can virtualize another OS on Windows 7, I surely must be able to install it on Windows Phone 7!"
All I'm saying is it's a start. Get to know the ecosystem (sort of), if you know what I mean. Hey, at least virtualizing webOS on an iPhone should be possible.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 09/05/2012, 08:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
If the CyanogenMod guys can't get it going with Android, good freakin' luck. The iPhone 3G iDroid project ended up in a lot of the OS just completely unusable, and the only one they could get running halfway decently was the original iPhone. So no, unless you have knowledge of what it actually takes to make something like this happen, you're kind of grasping at straws in hopes that someday you can tell others you have webOS on an iOS device.

It's not going to happen. The locked-down bootloader is one critical part of the problem, but there are plenty of others beyond that preventing the installation and actual functioning of another OS on their (highly specialized, not typically off-the-shelf) hardware. Unless, of course, your target happens to be the relatively unprotected original iPhone from 2007. But then you're probably stuck with webOS 1.x due to system constraints, defeating the point.
Might I note when Palm chose a part, Apple chose it first. But that was back in the original days.

In a sense people are getting this mac crap in terms that iOS /IS/ just a dumbed down and very limited version of OS 10. Still runs 'stolen' BSD at it's core and still made by Apple.

Incase you couldn't tell I hate apple, majority of their users make me want to throw their iPhones/Macbooks off a 10 story building, and pretty much anything branded by these digital commies.

Still pretty bummed I can't create nuclear warfare with iTunes xD

I see a sharp stab in Apple, Breaking Bad toothbrush shank style. Microsoft's surface will probably kill their precious iPad. They're already scrambling to open lawsuits. Scared is the only word I can find to describe it.

Tis also the reason the iPhone isn't locked on AT&T, 50% royalties on android sales. Not to mention they have 9 million iProducts on T-Mobile. Mainly phones.

Hopefully AT&T will die after T-Mobile swaps frequencies, as their will be no reason for people to stay, especially after their contracts end.

Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
Shadowflank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2012, 06:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowflank View Post
Might I note when Palm chose a part, Apple chose it first. But that was back in the original days.

In a sense people are getting this mac crap in terms that iOS /IS/ just a dumbed down and very limited version of OS 10. Still runs 'stolen' BSD at it's core and still made by Apple.

Incase you couldn't tell I hate apple, majority of their users make me want to throw their iPhones/Macbooks off a 10 story building, and pretty much anything branded by these digital commies.

I see a sharp stab in Apple, Breaking Bad toothbrush shank style. Microsoft's surface will probably kill their precious iPad. They're already scrambling to open lawsuits. Scared is the only word I can find to describe it.

Tis also the reason the iPhone isn't locked on AT&T, 50% royalties on android sales. Not to mention they have 9 million iProducts on T-Mobile. Mainly phones.

Hopefully AT&T will die after T-Mobile swaps frequencies, as their will be no reason for people to stay, especially after their contracts end.

Actually the Surface is such a small player Apple doesn't need to do anything about it. Its people like you who I want to shoot and then push you off a building. Also your extremely ignorant. Apples has been fighting a Patent war that Motorola and samsung started
Old 09/19/2012, 12:08 AM   #12 (permalink)

Guys... this thread isn't here to rant about whether you love or hate Apple. Please read the OP and let's try and stay on topic please.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, bevcraw and boovish like this.
Old 09/19/2012, 01:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Apple hardware isn't the best in terms of raw performance.

Anyway, now that Apple is making their chips more proprietary, (I heard the A6 in the iPhone 5 is more Apple than ARM architecture) AFAIK, it would be harder to pull off.

So I'd say not likely.
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 09/19/2012, 01:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
Guys... this thread isn't here to rant about whether you love or hate Apple. Please read the OP and let's try and stay on topic please.
I guess phone OS are like cats... Those who like them, love them, show pics of them to everyone who will look and coo about them endlessly. Those who don't rant about how they should be exterminated with extreme predjudice...

Few people can pick the middle ground of indifference.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Buddy1969 and boovish like this.
Thanked By: Buddy1969
Old 09/20/2012, 04:51 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boovish View Post
I think Apples hardware would definently give webOS the boost it needs.
I don't think so. Even the iPad 2 has still been delivered with 512 MB RAM (TP: 1024 MB) and a 1 GHz dual core processor - compared to 1,2 GHz single core (TouchPad).

So you'd need an iPad 3 to mess with the TouchPad-specifications.
HelmutsKohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2012, 04:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmutsKohl View Post
I don't think so. Even the iPad 2 has still been delivered with 512 MB RAM (TP: 1024 MB) and a 1 GHz dual core processor - compared to 1,2 GHz single core (TouchPad).

Why wouldn't someone use an iPad 3?
Old 09/20/2012, 10:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:

1.2 dual core is in the touchpad, not a single core processor.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Balooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Buddy1969
Old 09/21/2012, 02:02 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balooz View Post
1.2 dual core is in the touchpad, not a single core processor.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
AND it is easily overclockable with Uberkernel and Govnah (on your own responsibility of course, voiding your warranty).
Old 09/21/2012, 06:45 AM   #19 (permalink)

Apple doesnt play the MHz/GHz game, its like the old 33 MHz Palm PDAs vs. the Pocket PCs of a decade ago. PalmOS was popular and all, and the main way the PPCs would do to compete is tout more memory and faster processors
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
Old 10/01/2012, 08:37 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowflank View Post

Dude you're still running a Palm Pixi...get with the times

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0