webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > What can we make of this open-embedded core business for Open webOS?
What can we make of this open-embedded core business for Open webOS?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dr3wster

Old 09/02/2012, 07:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hey all!

As you guys know, the beta build of Open webOS's Source Code has been released on GitHub... ... can't wait to see what the Community can start doing with this code..

I'm a tad confused on this Open-Embedded Core business tho as I am not a dev .. so as far as I can tell, for the open source version of webOS, HP has chosen to port lunasysmgr (and those services that help to make up the webOS environment) to an Open-Embedded linux core/base, which itself, is currently compatible with a wide variety of devices and architectures.. or has webOS always been built on top of an Open-Embedded base?

And final question, does this mean porting to other devices is a less tedious process for Devs?

My Pre3, TouchPad and HTC Sensation eagerly await! hhaha

Work mobes: Palm Treo 650 > Palm Treo Pro > O2 Palm Pre- > Palm Pixi+ > Pre 2 > Pre 3
Home mobes: Sony Ericsson K610 > Sony Ericsson W910 > iPhone 3GS > Verizon GSMed FrankenPre+ > HTC Desire HD > HTC Evo 3D > White HTC Sensation XE
Tablet: HP TouchPad 32GB / ASUS TF101

dr3wster is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by feduchin likes this.
Old 09/02/2012, 11:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

This chapter (below) was written about 6-7 years ago around the time open embedded first started, so it is out-of- date but probably still a good explanation for what it was meant to do.

OpenEmbedded for Deep Embedded Systems
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0