webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Is there a future for Pre3, Touchpad with ACL?
Is there a future for Pre3, Touchpad with ACL?
  Reply
Like Tree26Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09/01/2012, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
SeiGraph's Avatar
 
Posts: 17
Hello webOS-Nation,

Today I read that there will be no more OS evolution for my two devices.

The Pre3 is bonded to HP webOS 2.2.4 (and that OS is still more than buggy – not really applicable) and the Touchpad to HP webOS 3.0.5 which works nearly stable.

Regarding HPs announcement I think about selling the Pre3 because of the OS dead-end but keeping the Touchpad with a webOS as a gadget…

What would you advise me to do with my Pre3 (I got 3 of them) regarding the near future?

When I heard about OpenMobile`s ACL I welcomed the chance to use android apps on my Pre3 and Touchpad with the actual OS installed to compensate the still missing features.

But how should that work with a hardware device sticking to a buggy OS?

What does that mean for webOS ACL? Will openmobile support those older devices or are they going to support Open webOS instead?

I am really a webOS-fanatic, but the Pre`s are rebooting all the time, they do not react in time using the calendar with exchange 2007 and they always losing their mobile signal…it is a mess! I want to have my whole e-mails on my device, especially all transmitted, not only the last 4 weeks…

I started with the Pre- and from that moment I loved webOS, I still got that old-timer and that one works well compared to the Pre3, so it had to be either the hardware or the software. And if there will be no future OS release for the Pre3 I had to change my device…

Cheers,
SeiGraph
SeiGraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2012, 08:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
shadavis08's Avatar
 
Posts: 9,321
webOS ports will be looking into porting webOS to other devices , mainly tablets . And there are rumors that there are some that are in the process of porting to phones as well . And if you look up LunaCE on these forums you will see that webOS ports has been working on some stuff for our TPad already. Cheers
__________________
ĦṔ-ḶøØṫ-ŦḯØη
Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2012, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
SeiGraph's Avatar
 
Posts: 17
Thank you Shadavis08 for those words of hope...

...but meanwhile I am going to lose the fun regarding my Pre3, it crashes now once a day without any reason. If it is just lying around sometimes I mention hours after it reboots by itself that nobody could reach me because it asks for the Sim Code again to be available as a phone ...that sucks.

The calendar needs more that 8 sec until it responses after I did something with it. It is impossible to move appointments with a fingertip around the calendar, like I knew it from Pre-.

Imagine you have to put a new appointment into the calendar while somebody is with you, maybe in worst case an i-phone user….;-)…and you must tell him you can put the next appointment in your calendar in 8 sec…..-(

I think the calendar problem is related to the OS in combination to exchange-server, the moment I remove exchange from my accounts the pre calendar works fine, but the same exchange account setup on my Pre- works fine, there is no leak of calendar behavior…

I did resets of my Pre3 at min 6 times but the calendar problem is resistant and the reboot problem recurs mostly within the next days, my only hope was a fix about that issue through a new OS release…

Cheers,
SeiGraph
SeiGraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2012, 04:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Vistaus's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,493
Yeah, my Pre 3 has problems too. I even stopped using it because of failures and am now back at my beloved Motorola Razr V6 Maxx. My Touchpad is rocking though, especially with LunaCE! I will replace my Pre 3 soon if it doesn't get any love with fixes but my Touchpad is here tlll the day it dies (or a new tablet with webOS preinstalled enters the market lol).
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by SeiGraph likes this.
Old 09/02/2012, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 547
Constantly/daily rebooting Pre3 is not normal.

I have seen the occasional reboot/crash - every few weeks. Small annoyance - but nothing major.

So you should check your patches or UeberKernel (I did use UeberKernel on my Pre- – but never installed it on my Pre3). I have only a handful of patches.

One cause of reboots seems to be quick/forceful closing of the slider. I have seen that happening and others mentioned that here on the forum. That's easily avoided by closing the slider a bit more carefully. I found that easy to avoid.

My Pre3 has been in constant use for the last year and I wouldn't call it buggy overall.
__________________
Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
tholap is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kupfernigk likes this.
Thanked By: SeiGraph
Old 09/02/2012, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 755
There are not many Pre3s out there. It would be odd for anyone to spend time on it in terms of OS porting.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2012, 09:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
SeiGraph's Avatar
 
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tholap View Post
Constantly/daily rebooting Pre3 is not normal.

I have seen the occasional reboot/crash - every few weeks. Small annoyance - but nothing major.

So you should check your patches or UeberKernel (I did use UeberKernel on my Pre- – but never installed it on my Pre3). I have only a handful of patches.

One cause of reboots seems to be quick/forceful closing of the slider. I have seen that happening and others mentioned that here on the forum. That's easily avoided by closing the slider a bit more carefully. I found that easy to avoid.

My Pre3 has been in constant use for the last year and I wouldn't call it buggy overall.
Thank you tholap,

I think there is a relation between that slider regarding sudden reboots. You and I got a Pre- as well so we know that issue…in former times there was a hardware fix…we had to put a little piece of paper to keep the battery in position, otherwise it lost sometimes, especially when opening the slider to forceful , the contact and the Pre- rebooted.

I am trying to keep it slow when I open the Pre3 for keyboard needed issues but that won`t work in every situation…I am not sure that it is the slider dynamic combined with losing the contact of the battery like with Pre-. The battery contact is very different from the Pre-, it looks like the hardware developers tried to fix that known hardware-bug while they designed the Pre3.

I tried some patches earlier and I know all the UeberProducts well but since half a year I just used the Pre3 under genuine conditions. Today I did a total reset for the one of my Pre3 which makes the most trouble, after woods I installed those UeberProducts to have the chance to compare the behavior of the device to the last 6 months under genuine conditions. I speeded up the kernel to 1,9 Ghz for the max but choose a profile that shrinks the cpu-speed in relation to usage.

My first hope was that this setup will speed up the calendar reaction time….but no changes. I spoke with some HP employee and they told me two days ago that the decided for themselves to change their smartphone from Pre3 to other manufacturer’s products just because of that Exchange behavior I described earlier. One of them tried before to forward all appointments to Google calendar to fix that 8 seconds leak of reaction regarding Pre3 calendar app…but after some days of experience he changed to the SIII.

Did your Pre3 got restrictions to the content of the sended-e-mail folder? In my case the Pre3 and the Touchpad getting the dada from my Exchange 2007 server and on both devices the sended e-mails reach only two months into the past. I want to have the full exchange data on my devices but I could not find any tweak to say so.

From my point of view the Pre- was a better experience than the Pre3.

On the other hand I should not be frustrated because I god a lot of fun within the last days playing with my TP. I just installed the ICS dual-boot with android version 4.0.4 and pumped up webOS with4.5.2 LunaCE…maybe that was the reason for the Pre3 being capricious…;-)

Cheers,
SeiGraph
________________________
One Pre - & 3 Pre3 & 2 TP32
SeiGraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2012, 09:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
SeiGraph's Avatar
 
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
There are not many Pre3s out there. It would be odd for anyone to spend time on it in terms of OS porting.
Hello rnld,

Keep in mind that there are not many webOS devices out there. It would be a pity if no one spent time to develop for actual and future devices too…if there won’t be people asking for things like porting an OS everybody would use i-os or android and open webOS would not exist…

Cheers,
SeiGraph
SeiGraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2012, 04:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,259
Hello,

not sure how useful will be my post but personally I've not had a single issue with my pre3 in the 11 months since I have it. No random reboots, always reachable.
In a couple of occasions my voice on the other side apparently was a bit "funny" (I managed to hear it since it was recorded on an answering machine), but that's all. The phone is always on, and I've done maybe 12 manual full reboots in all this time, stock kernel and only the base 5 patches. (I'm on vodafone, if it may be of help)

Given the discussion here, and what others said elsewhere ( australia related mainly ), I think it's a problem tied with the carrier. Actually I'm sure I read that one person recently solved it by changing a value in a configuration file

pre3 cuts out and reboots randomly

check the last page here, or the one just before. Ah yes, here

pre3 cuts out and reboots randomly

You should try this, it may help fixing or at least reducing the issue you're experiencing.

About Uberkernel, dunno.. but I would personally not put it. I do remember reading on threads where it maybe caused issues on a pre3, on the long term (it was not totally a sure thing, but still)
mazzinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: SeiGraph
Old 09/03/2012, 04:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 246
Same here, no problem with pre3 reboots (Vodafone New Zealand). No uberkernal, pretty straightforward 2.2.4.
Using both Exchange 2003 and Gmail for calendar. Rebooting less than fortnightly if anything and using cell towers up to 150km away, even after going through areas without any coverage at all, my unlocked AT@T Pre3 always picks up the signal without any issues.

Just my $0,02


Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
Hello,

not sure how useful will be my post but personally I've not had a single issue with my pre3 in the 11 months since I have it. No random reboots, always reachable.
In a couple of occasions my voice on the other side apparently was a bit "funny" (I managed to hear it since it was recorded on an answering machine), but that's all. The phone is always on, and I've done maybe 12 manual full reboots in all this time, stock kernel and only the base 5 patches. (I'm on vodafone, if it may be of help)

Given the discussion here, and what others said elsewhere ( australia related mainly ), I think it's a problem tied with the carrier. Actually I'm sure I read that one person recently solved it by changing a value in a configuration file

pre3 cuts out and reboots randomly

check the last page here, or the one just before. Ah yes, here

pre3 cuts out and reboots randomly

You should try this, it may help fixing or at least reducing the issue you're experiencing.

About Uberkernel, dunno.. but I would personally not put it. I do remember reading on threads where it maybe caused issues on a pre3, on the long term (it was not totally a sure thing, but still)
renater is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: SeiGraph
Old 09/03/2012, 05:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Vistaus's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
There are not many Pre3s out there. It would be odd for anyone to spend time on it in terms of OS porting.
Given the fact of the firesale I'm willing to bet that there are more than enough Pre 3s out there to make it warrant the port.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by SeiGraph and geekpeter like this.
Old 09/03/2012, 06:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,259
Just in Europe there should be well over 7000 units, according to the research a forum member did (related to the serials sold by saturn and mediamarkt ).

I stand corrected, I just went to read again the pm I got months ago, and apparently there were at least 20k pre3 sold in Europe, with surely 16k sold just in Germany.

Sure the total number of pre3 ( at&t , eu , etc ) is surely not stellar nor close to the number of touchpads sold, but this doesn't mean that we don't deserve an OS update.
On the opposite I think we deserve it more than a new not yet supported device ( and I would like to remind that there are plenty of years, good amount of years, old smartphones that are constantly receiving community updates ).

Moreover , a question : are bugfixes at least covered under warranty ?

If the answer is yes, according to the European community law the Pre3 is covered by a 2 years warranty , officially, here.. so as a client I suppose I would be entitled to pretend at least fixes.

Last edited by mazzinia; 09/03/2012 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Correcting some numbers
mazzinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by SeiGraph and Vistaus like this.
Thanked By: SeiGraph
Old 09/03/2012, 11:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
RumoredNow's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
There are not many Pre3s out there. It would be odd for anyone to spend time on it in terms of OS porting.
I think the above post blindly ignores the very fact of where it is posted...

To say to this particular webOS forum that the most recent bit of webOS dedicated phone hardware would not receive Open Source porting attempts belittles what the Internals team and many fine developers here at webOS Nation actually accomplish on an ongoing basis. IMHO they have vastly improved the current usability of webOS devices beyond stock. That they would not strive to continue that is in no way evident from activities and posts at this site...
__________________
Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by davidtm and SeiGraph like this.
Thanked By: SeiGraph
Old 09/03/2012, 11:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
SeiGraph's Avatar
 
Posts: 17


Hello mazzinia,

Thank you for your hints. Yes, I think the sudden reboots could be a problem tied with the carrier too.

My actual one is O², before it was E-Plus and there were a way less of those reboot issues…but there for the strength of mobile signal @E-Plus sometimes moved nearly to zero…that was my main reason to change the carrier. But within the last days I mentioned something strange:

There were different people (4) with various phones having the same carrier (O²) together in the same office and my Pre3 got the worst receiving of the same mobile carrier signal, so maybe the receiving of the Pre3 itself is not as strong as an SE normal mobile`s for example…but that was only a sudden test, nothing well planned.

I just spoke to the Pre3 support in Argentina and they wrote me that the issue with the 8-10 seconds delay when using the calendar based on an Exchange profile is well known and they cannot do anything about that….that is frustrating.

I am waiting for an HP answer regarding the time restriction of the content of my sent-folder based on an Exchange profile, as I said Pre3 and TP both contain only e-mails up to 2 months into the past…and I could not find any tweak for that issue.

Cheers,
Erik

________________________
One Pre - & 3 Pre3 & 2 TP32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
Hello,

not sure how useful will be my post but personally I've not had a single issue with my pre3 in the 11 months since I have it. No random reboots, always reachable.
In a couple of occasions my voice on the other side apparently was a bit "funny" (I managed to hear it since it was recorded on an answering machine), but that's all. The phone is always on, and I've done maybe 12 manual full reboots in all this time, stock kernel and only the base 5 patches. (I'm on vodafone, if it may be of help)

Given the discussion here, and what others said elsewhere ( australia related mainly ), I think it's a problem tied with the carrier. Actually I'm sure I read that one person recently solved it by changing a value in a configuration file

pre3 cuts out and reboots randomly

check the last page here, or the one just before. Ah yes, here

pre3 cuts out and reboots randomly

You should try this, it may help fixing or at least reducing the issue you're experiencing.

About Uberkernel, dunno.. but I would personally not put it. I do remember reading on threads where it maybe caused issues on a pre3, on the long term (it was not totally a sure thing, but still)
SeiGraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2012, 12:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Given the fact of the firesale I'm willing to bet that there are more than enough Pre 3s out there to make it warrant the port.
they werent exactly firesold where ever i looked, a very slight reduction yes but the hard part was just buying one at all, full price or not, the fact that they also were always sold near instantly should raise the fact they sold like hotcakes so must be out there somewhere.
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by SeiGraph likes this.
Old 09/03/2012, 12:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
spreng's Avatar
 
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeiGraph View Post

Did your Pre3 got restrictions to the content of the sended-e-mail folder? In my case the Pre3 and the Touchpad getting the dada from my Exchange 2007 server and on both devices the sended e-mails reach only two months into the past. I want to have the full exchange data on my devices but I could not find any tweak to say so.
Like others here, I have not seen the problems you have had, on my Pre3.

In my Exchange Account Settings, I usually have the SYNC set to 7 days. I just changed it to "ALL" to see what would happen, and a resync gave me emails back to 2010. I don't have any idea why you are only getting a month's worth.
spreng is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by SeiGraph likes this.
Thanked By: SeiGraph
Old 09/03/2012, 12:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
SeiGraph's Avatar
 
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by spreng View Post
Like others here, I have not seen the problems you have had, on my Pre3.

In my Exchange Account Settings, I usually have the SYNC set to 7 days. I just changed it to "ALL" to see what would happen, and a resync gave me emails back to 2010. I don't have any idea why you are only getting a month's worth.
Hello spreng,

Thank you for your test and feedback.

I will parallel start to check the exchange server settings, maybe there could be a reason for the restriction…

Cheers,
Erik

________________________
One Pre - & 3 Pre3 & 2 TP32
SeiGraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2012, 04:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Vistaus's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
they werent exactly firesold where ever i looked, a very slight reduction yes but the hard part was just buying one at all, full price or not, the fact that they also were always sold near instantly should raise the fact they sold like hotcakes so must be out there somewhere.
Here in Europe at least of half of the units were firesaled for just 49 euros.
And even then, a lot of them were sold for lower prices. I got mine for 296 euros which is still a lot cheaper than the what the price should've been hadn't Leo dropped webOS.
Also didn't have any problems finding one. I saw a lot of them on Amazon.co.uk sold by Luzern, just bought one of that stock and got it delivered to me within 2 days (and that is technically overseas since Luzern is based in the UK and I live in The Netherlands). Maybe it was harder in the USA, but that doesn't mean it was harder in Europe which you should've known that I live in since that is listed under my username on the left
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2012, 05:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Here in Europe at least of half of the units were firesaled for just 49 euros.
And even then, a lot of them were sold for lower prices. I got mine for 296 euros which is still a lot cheaper than the what the price should've been hadn't Leo dropped webOS.
Also didn't have any problems finding one. I saw a lot of them on Amazon.co.uk sold by Luzern, just bought one of that stock and got it delivered to me within 2 days (and that is technically overseas since Luzern is based in the UK and I live in The Netherlands). Maybe it was harder in the USA, but that doesn't mean it was harder in Europe which you should've known that I live in since that is listed under my username on the left
im europe/england and yes while sites did list the pre3, i ended ordering 3 in total as the first 2 while accepted i got phone calls saying they had no stock and my orders were cancelled.

like the touchpad firesale, sites took an age to load or not at all, i only got my 3rd order through as i got hacked off at dead webpages and tried phoning my order through.

it was far from an easy process and having to wait for cancellation phonecalls took more time for me to get one, didnt want to risk ordering another if my other order went through, so had to wait to confirm via phone which delayed me bigtime. at least i eventually got one near full price, i couldnt get a firesale 2nd touchpad which sucked.
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2012, 05:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 755
If anyone believes that 50K to 70K Pre3s with no new manufacturing is worth the port, more power to them.

It's a 100% dead end.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0