webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Is there a future for Pre3, Touchpad with ACL?
Is there a future for Pre3, Touchpad with ACL?
Like Tree26Likes

Old 09/04/2012, 12:04 AM   #21 (permalink)

Hello spreng,

The checked exchange server settings were fine, no barriers for syncing.

So I took a closer look at the webOS e-mail clients and found something strange.
But I found a workaround to the missing sent-folder sync issue too...

1. In my PCs Outlook-Client I moved all e-mails from the send folder, up to the date they were displayed (nearly one month) on TP and Pre3 to some tmp-folder

2. Then I did a manual sync on TP and Pre3, on both devices the folder stays empty….mmmh, no sync of the older e-mails still inside the folder

3. Ok, then I checked how many e-mails are actually stored in my exchange send-folder through outlook…around 5.000

4. Then I did a test if there is a barrier regarding a maximal amount my TP will sync for one exchange folder, result in my case 1.000, regardless if there were 1.001, more than 1.000 won`t sync

5. Ok, I did a split of my whole sent-folder into 6 separate folders and started to sync by Pre3 and TP and…it worked

6. So now I got all my sent e –mails on both devices but in 6 different folders…but hey, I got them with me now…

7. The only strange thing are that the genuine sent-folder still not sync e-mail prior the 6th august and that TP differs from the Pre3 / Outlook by the count of one of those newe folders, there 501 e-mails inside and TP thinks that there are 990….but more is even better that less…;-)

8. To recheck the sync issue I stored only the ones in that folder that synct before and I sent some e-mails around the word to check if they will be in the sent-folder after woods and to check if webOS e-mail client will kick older ones from the list…

9. …but the e-mail was stored normally in the genuine sent-folder and the oldest were still there….
I will have an eye on it within the next weeks…

I could not really understand that behavior but I am fine with the workaround for now…maybe there is a tweak were a user could manually set the maximum e-mails / folder to some higher value….but that is something for my next nightshift…;-)

Need some sleep...

Cheers,
SeiGraph
Old 09/04/2012, 01:37 AM   #22 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
If anyone believes that 50K to 70K Pre3s with no new manufacturing is worth the port, more power to them.

It's a 100% dead end.
I'm sure it comes down to what you are using to define worth...

If you mean $$$, then yes, there most likely is no monetary gain to be had in porting Open Source to Pre 3.

However, not all worth is monetary. For someone who is a skilled developer, knowledgeable about building (compiling) a working OS and a Pre 3 owner and daily user - I'm sure there is heaping amounts of worth in learning what needs to be done, accomplishing tasks and possibly the satisfaction of making a working port.

Your statement that it is "a 100% dead end" will be taken by myself as NOT an absolute despite your assurances. I often find worth in challenging projects and finding ways to accomplish things that others would not bother with. I see much of that same attitude in a lot of our members here and am very thankful for that. Your pessimism need not, of necessity, reflect reality simply through repetition... It is after all merely opinion irregardless of how you choose to clip your language so as to appear to utter absolute truisms and it so frequently comes without any supporting evidence or presentation of logical chains of thought.

worth (wûrth)
n.
1. The quality that renders something desirable, useful, or valuable: the worth of higher education.
2. Material or market value: stocks having a worth of ten million dollars.
3. A quantity of something that may be purchased for a specified sum or by a specified means: ten dollars' worth of natural gas; wanted their money's worth.
4. Wealth; riches: her net worth.
5. Quality that commands esteem or respect; merit: a person of great worth.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, cujoq37, SeiGraph and 1 others like this.
Thanked by SeiGraph, Vistaus
Old 09/04/2012, 02:05 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post

If you mean $$$, then yes, there most likely is no monetary gain to be had in porting Open Source to Pre 3.

However, not all worth is monetary. For someone who is a skilled developer, knowledgeable about building (compiling) a working OS and a Pre 3 owner and daily user - I'm sure there is heaping amounts of worth in learning what needs to be done, accomplishing tasks and possibly the satisfaction of making a working port.

Your statement that it is "a 100% dead end" will be taken by myself as NOT an absolute despite your assurances. I often find worth in challenging projects and finding ways to accomplish things that others would not bother with. I see much of that same attitude in a lot of our members here and am very thankful for that. Your pessimism need not, of necessity, reflect reality simply through repetition... It is after all merely opinion irregardless of how you choose to clip your language so as to appear to utter absolute truisms and it so frequently comes without any supporting evidence or presentation of logical chains of thought.

worth (wûrth)
n.
1. The quality that renders something desirable, useful, or valuable: the worth of higher education.
3. A quantity of something that may be purchased for a specified sum or by a specified means: ten dollars' worth of natural gas; wanted their money's worth.

Hello RumoredNow,

Thank you for your statement, you are totally right, I'll second that!

Cheers,
SeiGraph

Old 09/04/2012, 02:05 AM   #24 (permalink)

There is a small amount of Pre3s in the hands of users. They are not making any more of them. It has never been officially released in the US.

There is no worth in porting a community edition to the Pre3 other than to make a handful of people have something to play with.

You can post dictionary meanings of words all day, but it's worthless. Gee, look, I ported the Community edition to phones that never made it to market or were discontinued over a year ago.

Go team!
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/2012, 02:19 AM   #25 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Yes, quite obviously your definition of worth and my own are different... You seem to prefer measuring everything by the "bigger is better" yardstick and appear to view every individual's motivations as entirely centric.

May the peace of the Buddha descend upon you...

Mobile Nations Devotee
Liked by webos_ftw likes this.
Old 09/04/2012, 08:57 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:

worth (wûrth)
n.
+1. Just because money can't be made from something any more, doesn't make it worthless. There is still a thriving community of users here and IMHO, there always will be. There are still people using the original Pre, not because they see it as the best thing they can get, they see it as something they like and enjoy using, if you don't see a webOS device as "worth" anything, go ahead get an Android, and every 2 weeks get ready to feel like your holding a device that is old and useless
webos_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 09/04/2012, 11:24 AM   #27 (permalink)

You guys are completely missing the point and only thinking about what you want to tinker with.

Does anyone really think a new WebOS is going to work with the original Pre? 2.0 was not supported on the Pre and Pre Plus.

So that leaves the Pre2 and Pre3.

If someone wants to spend the time to port an OS to those phones, go at it. There's no future at all for that port beyond the remaining life of that hardware.
Old 09/04/2012, 11:35 AM   #28 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Meanwhile, over at Amazon, some have decided a new 16gb unlocked Pre 3 is worth about $300 give or take and a new 8gb unlocked Euro Pre 3 is worth about $350... They have also decided a new Verizon model Pre 3 is worth around $325...

Amazon.com: hp pre 3

At eBay some other individuals have decided that a new 16gb unlocked Pre 3 is worth at least $250, a new 8gb unlocked Pre 3 is worth about $300 and a Verizon Pre 3 is worth around $400.

hp pre3 | eBay

Mind you, that may not be what they are worth to any one individual in particular, but it does provide an idea of the worth that the open marketplace has placed upon the device at this time. I would venture to say that an OpenSource embedded device with the next gen of the OS, moving the device further into the future in terms of capability and compatibility, would enhance the worth of the device by an appreciable margin and would add a premium to the compensable worth in the minds of sellers and buyers alike...

Mobile Nations Devotee
Old 09/04/2012, 11:55 AM   #29 (permalink)

Sure, but the person who ports the OS gets nothing for possibly increasing the value of some remaining stock - therefore worthless to the person who spends the time and resources to do the port.
Old 09/04/2012, 12:18 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Sure, but the person who ports the OS gets nothing for possibly increasing the value of some remaining stock - therefore worthless to the person who spends the time and resources to do the port.
If a person wants to make a port, they are interested in getting that OS on that hardware, therefore, they get the enjoyment of getting said OS on said hardware.
Liked by sledge007 and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 09/04/2012, 12:35 PM   #31 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by webos_ftw View Post
If a person wants to make a port, they are interested in getting that OS on that hardware, therefore, they get the enjoyment of getting said OS on said hardware.
It is obvious that rnld does not want to valuate joy. He'd rather validate misery.

Mobile Nations Devotee
Old 09/04/2012, 12:51 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
It is obvious that rnld does not want to valuate joy. He'd rather validate misery.

That is 100% baloney.
Old 09/04/2012, 12:52 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:

misery = money, greed, all things unhappy.

I think I'll take webOS any day..
Old 09/04/2012, 03:07 PM   #34 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
There is a small amount of Pre3s in the hands of users. They are not making any more of them. It has never been officially released in the US.

There is no worth in porting a community edition to the Pre3 other than to make a handful of people have something to play with.

You can post dictionary meanings of words all day, but it's worthless. Gee, look, I ported the Community edition to phones that never made it to market or were discontinued over a year ago.

Go team!
And again: big amounts of Pre 3s were sold in Europe. Plus the Pre 3's hardware should go for at least another year before it dies.

Not everything is about the US dude.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/2012, 03:22 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
And again: big amounts of Pre 3s were sold in Europe. Plus the Pre 3's hardware should go for at least another year before it dies.

Not everything is about the US dude.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the Veer first launched in Europe?
Old 09/04/2012, 03:53 PM   #36 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
There are not many Pre3s out there. It would be odd for anyone to spend time on it in terms of OS porting.
I would say that most of the people involved in webOS Ports official porting team probably have access to at least one. I know more People with Pre3s than with Veers, pretty much anyone I can think of still coding with webOS has (or should be getting a Pre3 soon, this includes 1 developer I can confirm recently got a Pre3). Personally I think there are far more Pre3s out there than you think, especially when I still see em being sold a year later.

The community just sent off 12K to webOS Internals with no promise of anything working on current hardware or any hardware... so to say their is no value in the work is to ignore the 40+ k (around 30k in the last year or so since Leo did his best to kill the OS, our devices, and our community). That's more than some individuals have grossed in the last 12ish months.

Either way, we all know we aren't gonna see eye to eye on this, lets try and get back to helping the OP.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...

Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 09/04/2012 at 04:06 PM.
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by SeiGraph likes this.
Thanked By: SeiGraph
Old 09/04/2012, 10:52 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeiGraph View Post
Hello webOS-Nation,

Today I read that there will be no more OS evolution for my two devices.

The Pre3 is bonded to HP webOS 2.2.4 (and that OS is still more than buggy – not really applicable) and the Touchpad to HP webOS 3.0.5 which works nearly stable.

Regarding HPs announcement I think about selling the Pre3 because of the OS dead-end but keeping the Touchpad with a webOS as a gadget…

What would you advise me to do with my Pre3 (I got 3 of them) regarding the near future?

When I heard about OpenMobile`s ACL I welcomed the chance to use android apps on my Pre3 and Touchpad with the actual OS installed to compensate the still missing features.

But how should that work with a hardware device sticking to a buggy OS?

What does that mean for webOS ACL? Will openmobile support those older devices or are they going to support Open webOS instead?

I am really a webOS-fanatic, but the Pre`s are rebooting all the time, they do not react in time using the calendar with exchange 2007 and they always losing their mobile signal…it is a mess! I want to have my whole e-mails on my device, especially all transmitted, not only the last 4 weeks…

I started with the Pre- and from that moment I loved webOS, I still got that old-timer and that one works well compared to the Pre3, so it had to be either the hardware or the software. And if there will be no future OS release for the Pre3 I had to change my device…

Cheers,
SeiGraph
I have expressed on these forums a few times lately that regretfully I believe the HP webOS for the Pre3 is finished. They won't do any work to upgrade it and they won't repair it.
Evidence? These 'rebooting' problems started almost a year ago: so what are they waiting for? The problem certainly is not your problem, or mine, it's HP's problem but they choose to ignore it; and their chat people know absolutely nothing about it, and I give you one guess who's training them.. Also the 'open source' software will NOT be ported to the Pre3 range.

I also have three Pre3's. Guess what? I'm selling them ASAP. Playing dirty? Maybe; but they actually do work, they're merely annoying to work with.
Sell 'em, forget 'em, and watch out for Open source webOS on other phones, which I should think should appear within 6 months.
Best of luck.
feduchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/2012, 11:12 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
Just in Europe there should be well over 7000 units, according to the research a forum member did (related to the serials sold by saturn and mediamarkt ).

I stand corrected, I just went to read again the pm I got months ago, and apparently there were at least 20k pre3 sold in Europe, with surely 16k sold just in Germany.

Sure the total number of pre3 ( at&t , eu , etc ) is surely not stellar nor close to the number of touchpads sold, but this doesn't mean that we don't deserve an OS update.
On the opposite I think we deserve it more than a new not yet supported device ( and I would like to remind that there are plenty of years, good amount of years, old smartphones that are constantly receiving community updates ).

Moreover , a question : are bugfixes at least covered under warranty ?

If the answer is yes, according to the European community law the Pre3 is covered by a 2 years warranty , officially, here.. so as a client I suppose I would be entitled to pretend at least fixes.
I am from Australia and am using the biggest carrier, Telstra. Considering the quantity of complaints about this 'problem' from users of Telstra, and the complaints from Germany, but NOT from New Zealand and a few other places, then I think it's possible that the Rebooting fault might lie with certain carriers.
HOWEVER, if you have ever tried to pin a fault onto a carrier, then you should double it with Telstra. Somebody has to try I suppose, but I don't relish it..

HP or Telstra or your German carrier, they are all impossibly large corporations with NO interest in this problem. HP want to kill the Pre3 stone dead, and Telstra never sold it in the first place. Did your German carrier sell the Pre3? If not, my advice is, give up!

End of story.
feduchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2012, 01:59 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by renater View Post
Same here, no problem with pre3 reboots (Vodafone New Zealand). No uberkernal, pretty straightforward 2.2.4.
Using both Exchange 2003 and Gmail for calendar. Rebooting less than fortnightly if anything and using cell towers up to 150km away, even after going through areas without any coverage at all, my unlocked [email protected] Pre3 always picks up the signal without any issues.

Just my $0,02
like you I am on vodaphone in new Zealand. No problems at all for the past 12months or so. My teenage daughter has my old pre 2 on vodaphone and she loves it. Thing won't die. I have loads of patches thanks to preware. Holding my breath for any upgrades with webOS open or any new device.
milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2012, 02:15 AM   #40 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I've never had my Pre3 randomly reboot, or even Luna-restart, unless I did something intentionally to cause it ..
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0