webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > OpenwebOS has a real future for mobile world ?
OpenwebOS has a real future for mobile world ?
Like Tree53Likes

Old 09/01/2012, 05:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

How Is H.P.'s WebOS Doing? Hundreds No Longer Work on It - NYTimes.com

I don't think. 8 months to realease a Beta with NOTHING inside , no frameworks , no nothing , no support for actual devices , and potential fans lost.

In terms of general strategy for me is dead before start .

This is my humble and personal opinion.

Damned HP !

Last edited by wolfgart; 09/01/2012 at 06:12 AM.
wolfgart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2012, 07:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Well, if you feel that way, you certainly protect yourself against further disappointment if open webOS flops. But you also protect yourself from all the excitement and innovation that is starting to go on --from LunaCE all the way to Open webOS as it unfolds.

So you can either stay on this blog. And continue protecting yourself and writing dispirited posts.

Or leave for another platform.

Or stay on here and start participating in the community effort--the public-private partnership that is now the Open webOS. Very exciting.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by bmacfarland, mtiberio, Rnp and 5 others like this.
Old 09/01/2012, 07:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

It looks to me thy are just throwing it over the fence.

Forget about OEMs, I can't see enough will in community to fill all blanks in open webOS.
Old 09/01/2012, 07:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Look again. More carefully.

ps: To continue protecting yourself against disappointment is a valid defensive response and your choice.
But at this point you may lose more than you gain by maintaining it.
Old 09/01/2012, 08:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

I hope it at least goes the way of Ubuntu
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sq5 likes this.
Old 09/01/2012, 08:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
Look again. More carefully.

ps: To continue protecting yourself against disappointment is a valid defensive response and your choice.
But at this point you may lose more than you gain by maintaining it.
Be democratic.

This is my Opinion and is the same of a lot of guys here that don't speak !
Old 09/01/2012, 08:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

wolfgart,

Don't talk badly about things you don't understand.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, Garfonso and Garrett92C like this.
Old 09/01/2012, 08:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
wolfgart,

Don't talk badly about things you don't understand.
eblade , i respect you , and you know it...

But these are the real facts : http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/31/hp-web-os/

Other things or words are not reality
Old 09/01/2012, 09:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

Oh, so if it comes from the liberal media it is reality. I see. Thanks.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Starbuckk, Rnp, PrinceAlbert and 3 others like this.
Old 09/01/2012, 09:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgart View Post

But these are the real facts : How Is H.P.'s WebOS Doing? Hundreds No Longer Work on It - NYTimes.com

I'm kinda curious if you actually read the whole article (or even past the title)... The first half of the article is just rambling about where some ex-HP employees are now working. The second half talks about how HP is still committed to continue webOS development.

Edit:
I'd also like to add that HP is actively hiring new people to work on Open webOS. I count 29 available positions at the time of this post. https://hp.taleo.net/careersection/2...on=40260160077

These are the real facts. Other things or words are not reality.

Last edited by Garrett92C; 09/01/2012 at 09:30 AM.
Garrett92C is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, davidtm, HelloNNNewman and 3 others like this.
Old 09/01/2012, 09:31 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgart View Post

But these are the real facts : How Is H.P.'s WebOS Doing? Hundreds No Longer Work on It - NYTimes.com

Thank you for sharing the article with the community wolfgart.. I'm sure many, like myself always love to see that webOS is being raised in the media somehow.. even if it is negative... any press is good press right? And at least in a funny way, articles such as this helps to keep the webOS brand / legend out there in the public..

You're right, the lack of support for legacy devices or even one device aside from Ubuntu-desktops is disappointing and definitely a poor choice of strategy, but as for the lack of certain key components, please remember it is a beta .. not everything is meant to be working just yet!

Yes, we are all disappointed about how webOS had so much potential in 2009, but has since floundered under poor management decisions in Palm and HP, but as bluenote has said, you as a member of the community, do have a choice.. u can choose to re-hash the past like many have, over and over and over again / bag out HP for not doing enough to help make webOS the star it can be, or u can join us as we all bunch together and help support the guys in the community who ARE making a difference (webOS internals / ports).

I think it's a universally accepted fact that HP just doesn't have the will to heavily invest in webOS, but having said that, they will apparently be releasing details on what is planned following the full final release of open webOS code in Sept.. and don't forget that HP has recently advertised a fair number of jobs on webosjobs.com

I still think webOS is the best mobile OS out there even though many of the key features have since been copied in other platforms. webOS still does them better - apps / ecosystem are going to be the challenge.

Nevertheless, don't under-estimate the power of the open source community and in particular, our webOS community .. webOS Internals, webOS Ports and possibly Phoenix, may not be large corporations, but they work wonders..

The fact that you're still posting on these forums suggests that you still hold some sort of hope even if you are disappointed with how things have turned out for webOS (we all are mate) .. it's just the beginning of a new chapter, and whilst it is definitely going to be yet another long and bumpy journey, strap yourself in .. it will be exciting!

Edit: Garrett92C beat me to the webosjobs thing haha

Work mobes: Palm Treo 650 > Palm Treo Pro > O2 Palm Pre- > Palm Pixi+ > Pre 2 > Pre 3
Home mobes: Sony Ericsson K610 > Sony Ericsson W910 > iPhone 3GS > Verizon GSMed FrankenPre+ > HTC Desire HD > HTC Evo 3D > White HTC Sensation XE
Tablet: HP TouchPad 32GB / ASUS TF101

dr3wster is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, sq5 and chenkl like this.
Old 09/01/2012, 10:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yes, there are many people who are not working on webOS anymore that used to.

Gram is hiring.

I really don't know what you were referring to in OP with "no frameworks", etc.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 09/01/2012, 11:29 AM   #13 (permalink)

Here is another media article from IDG, seems to have a few more facts.

HP releases open source webOS Community Edition for TouchPads - Computerworld

ps The fact that NY Times is liberal media has nothing to do with it. They are not a tech blog and therefore are not going to be able to report in detail on every tech story. They have some skepticism and they are looking to see what the investment is in webOS --they looked at linked-in but they did not look at the HP want ads in webosjobs.com so they did an incomplete job. The want ads are also significant because HP announced thousands of layoffs and said they were investing in a few core R&D projects while pruning the others. It seems webOS has made the cut and although it may not be for consumer, at least that means they will maintain the open WebOS code. That said, HP is still pretty tight lipped. Once HP releases more details it will be easer for reporters at the general papers to cover this properly.

Last edited by bluenote; 09/01/2012 at 11:48 AM.
Liked by Rnp and sq5 like this.
Old 09/01/2012, 01:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

I know, I just felt a liberal media comment was due.

As he said, the NY Times, or any other non-tech media outlet is a poor place to get tech news.

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and sq5 like this.
Old 09/01/2012, 03:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
I know, I just felt a liberal media comment was due.
]-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums[/i]

It's bad enough that fast food gets politicized; let's leave tech out of that process.
Old 09/01/2012, 06:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
Oh, so if it comes from the liberal media it is reality. I see. Thanks.

You do know that politically the entire Silicon Valley, not to mention Bay Area in general, is extremely liberal don't you? Logically the "liberal media" should be on there side. Then again, HP run by a conservative lady. Not that she ever had a chance of winning Santa Clara County.

I will say that the standards when it comes to fact checking, sourcing, the ability to speak to executives is much, much, much higher at almost any major newspaper then it is at most tech websites. That doesn't mean the original poster is right but the standard of journalism for newspapers, any paper, "liberal" or "conservative", tend to be much higher then largely web publications and blogs. The problem is they may simply not know what they are talking about. Edit: Oh and that as this is just a "blog" on the NY Times site so it's probably as reliable as most blogs. Which is barely. But the main part the real newspaper part of papers tends to be good. Blogs? well the journalistic merit varies. Example, i can't see the New York Times going front page with story based on how many people have linkedin profiles. It's kinda like predicting who would vote Democrat based solely on registered Democrat voters.

Side Note: the great thing about living in a very politically onesided place is they don't spend money bombarding you with political ads.

Last edited by SnotBoogie; 09/01/2012 at 08:37 PM.
SnotBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and dignitary like this.
Thanked By: dignitary
Old 09/02/2012, 02:01 AM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtm View Post

It's bad enough that fast food gets politicized; let's leave tech out of that process.
but.. Meg Whitman is a Republican!
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 09/02/2012, 10:10 AM   #18 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
--they looked at linked-in...
From the article:

"...While not every living person is on LinkedIn, the numbers available still indicate that WebOS isnít as strong a force as it once was at H.P. ó"

The language there is atrocious. It implies that LinkedIn is a colossus that accurately defines trending.

I,too, found the article to be hastily and inadequately researched. Ultimately, I believe it is not to be trusted at face value as accurately reflecting any specific trend...

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Old 09/02/2012, 12:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
I hope it at least goes the way of Ubuntu
open webos will just be an enthusiasts platform.
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2012, 07:24 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
open webos will just be an enthusiasts platform.
I would some FACTS. NO MORE WORDS

-- sent from my new iPad

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0