webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > webOs Operating System Development
webOs Operating System Development
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By RumoredNow

Old 08/31/2012, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

I saw a previous thread about a "Get Started" guide or thread geared toward starting development or working on the webos operating system. This would be great to see, if not, can anyone point me in the right direction on where to get started learning how the system itself works at a low level and where to start learning about writing for the core of the system.

I am well versed in many languages, C included.

moto tacstar => kyocera k9 => samsung a460 => samsung n400 => nokia 3588i => samsung a920 => samsung a800 => samsung a940 => lg fusic => samsung instinct => pixi => pre => arrive => nexus s => veer => pre 2 =>pre 3 => hd7 => iphone 4s => nokia lumia 710 => nokia lumia 800 => samsung gs3 => blackberry bold 9650 => nokia lumia 900
mcbeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2012, 03:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

On a sidenote: could someone build an image for me? I only have 64-bit Ubuntu's in this house and they don't support 64-bit yet.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2012, 04:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcbeaven View Post
I saw a previous thread about a "Get Started" guide or thread geared toward starting development or working on the webos operating system. This would be great to see, if not, can anyone point me in the right direction on where to get started learning how the system itself works at a low level and where to start learning about writing for the core of the system.

I am well versed in many languages, C included.
openwebosproject.org

enyojs.com to make apps

webos-ports.org if you want to enhance the software experience on the hardware which today runs webOS
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2012, 03:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
On a sidenote: could someone build an image for me? I only have 64-bit Ubuntu's in this house and they don't support 64-bit yet.
I am building it on my 64bit ubuntu using 32bit. Ubuntu in virtualbox vm seems to be building....
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2012, 03:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Here it fails on my 64-bit :-(
Old 09/08/2012, 05:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

eblade postet some instructions to build it on 64bit. Maybe look at his github or somewhere... he posted the link on twitter some days ago.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/2012, 08:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I can't seem to find him on Twitter.
Old 09/08/2012, 04:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I'm @ekdikeo on twitter, the scripts and code changes are in my github, but they are not currently working with the latest update, i need about 6 more hands and 3 more keyboards to get on fixing everything in a timely fashion lol
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/2012, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
I'm @ekdikeo on twitter, the scripts and code changes are in my github, but they are not currently working with the latest update, i need about 6 more hands and 3 more keyboards to get on fixing everything in a timely fashion lol
I'll send over my assistant:

Seriously, good luck, Brother and don't pressure yourself too much over it. Any progress is welcome, but not mandatory at this point.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9 and Vistaus like this.
Old 09/08/2012, 05:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

mee mee me eme mee mee mee mee!!!!

well, whatsapp is dead to us at the moment, so i guess onto the scripts.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 09/08/2012, 05:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

ok, it's still building, but I think I've got the scripts working right again. (thanks to panda-z for the original patch, btw)

The x64 branch on github.com/ericblade/build-desktop

should get you started. I haven't yet figured out how to get the build scripts to work with a custom source tree yet, so after the build fails building luna-sysmgr, i apply this patch to it, and restart it:

https://github.com/ericblade/luna-sy...c1a2bba8beea42

After several failed attempts, I also discovered that to trigger a proper rebuild of Qt4, you also have to rm -rf ~/luna-desktop-binaries/qt-build-desktop
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 09/08/2012, 06:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The script is still quite fiddly. YMMV.

I'd still recommend going with a 32-bit VM to build it. It's a "supported" option.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!

Last edited by eblade; 09/08/2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09/09/2012, 03:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Thanks, gonna try that out and let you know if it works for me!
(btw: I'm @Motionshot on Twitter )

Last edited by Vistaus; 09/09/2012 at 04:24 AM.
Old 09/09/2012, 05:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Okay, I can't get it to build. Am trying to build it in a 32-bit VM right now.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0