webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > HP (Palm) Patents list.?
HP (Palm) Patents list.?
Like Tree9Likes

Old 08/31/2012, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
News Contributor

HP (Palm) Patents list.?

I am trying to encourage Samsung to get webOS open source when it is ready in September. And all the other OEM`s manufacturers as well.

For that purpose I need to write an article to post it here and everywhere, So if anyone have a link to all the bunch of Palm patents I mean the thousands of it, please I will be very thankful.

The Headline of the article might be at this time:

Samsung you should try webOS Open source with thousands of HP(Palm) patents.

Why, I think Apple is going all the way trying to ban all Samsung latest devices, also. The article here:
Apple adds Samsung's flagship Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note to amended 'Galaxy Nexus' complaint

and here: Apple adds Samsung's Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note and Galaxy Note 10.1 to ongoing patent lawsuit -- Engadget

PDF http://stadium.weblogsinc.com/engadg...-complaint.pdf

Quote:
"Today, all Android vendors are considering their software options," said Pete Cunningham, an analyst at research firm Canalys. Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...pe=companyNews

If you have also ideas why Samsung and OEM`s should embrace webOS opensource, pls let us know. Thanks.

Last edited by akitayo; 08/31/2012 at 10:02 PM.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and TUFF Stough like this.
Old 08/31/2012, 11:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Here's the results of a quick google search.

Google
i2y4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: akitayo
Old 08/31/2012, 11:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

I believe you are looking for this: https://www.google.com/search?tbo=p&...w=1349&bih=813

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/31/2012 at 11:43 PM.
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2012, 12:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

It's not the Android OS that Samsung is using. It's Samsung's modification to mimic iOS that is the OS issue.

There were emails from the top brass saying to copy the iOS look and functionality. Google actually asked Samsung not to copy Apple.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by SnotBoogie likes this.
Old 09/01/2012, 03:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
Here's the results of a quick google search.

Google
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
I believe you are looking for this: https://www.google.com/search?tbo=p&...w=1349&bih=813
Thank you guys that is the right link.
Old 09/01/2012, 03:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
It's not the Android OS that Samsung is using. It's Samsung's modification to mimic iOS that is the OS issue.

There were emails from the top brass saying to copy the iOS look and functionality. Google actually asked Samsung not to copy Apple.
My question now if HP is checking deep webOS opensource in case it could has some Apple`s patents, before launching its version 1.0?

HP should have a patents proof covered for OEM`s just in case.

Last edited by akitayo; 09/02/2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09/01/2012, 12:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
My question no is HP checking deep if webOS opensource could has some Apple`s patents, before launching its version 1.0?

From what I notice it seems like Palm was very careful about staying away from others patents. Then again I don't know every single patent, so I could be wrong.
Liked by boovish likes this.
Old 09/01/2012, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
My question no is HP checking deep if webOS opensource could has some Apple`s patents, before launching its version 1.0?

wouldn't this work against samsung? I mean they did steal Touch To Share. All HP needs to do is say the word and they can sue them as well.
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2012, 03:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boovish View Post
wouldn't this work against samsung? I mean they did steal Touch To Share. All HP needs to do is say the word and they can sue them as well.
Wouldn't being able to officially use Touch to Share, wireless charging, etc be extra incentive for Samsung to officialy license webOS?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Old 09/01/2012, 07:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Wouldn't being able to officially use Touch to Share, wireless charging, etc be extra incentive for Samsung to officialy license webOS?

Yes but the GS3 is still infringing on the patent.
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2012, 10:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes but the GS3 is still infringing on the patent.
Your assuming that Palm's patents apply. I don't know the extent of the patent... If touch to share doesn't use Bluetooth does it avoid the patent issue?

Old 09/01/2012, 11:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
They didn't "steal" Touch to Share. Touch to Share is a non-standard Bluetooth-based sharing protocol, whereas Samsung used industry-standard NFC which has been around a lot longer than Touch to Share has.

Heck, Samsung had NFC baked into an Android phone a year before HP even announced Touch to Share, and the idea of TTS-like information sharing based on the NFC standard predates that by a good margin.

So, apples and oranges and all that. Samsung didn't steal anything; in fact, they followed the standard where HP didn't. If HP were insane enough to sue Samsung over it, they'd be laughed right out of court and out a bit of money in legal fees.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2012, 08:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
They didn't "steal" Touch to Share. Touch to Share is a non-standard Bluetooth-based sharing protocol, whereas Samsung used industry-standard NFC which has been around a lot longer than Touch to Share has.

Heck, Samsung had NFC baked into an Android phone a year before HP even announced Touch to Share, and the idea of TTS-like information sharing based on the NFC standard predates that by a good margin.

So, apples and oranges and all that. Samsung didn't steal anything; in fact, they followed the standard where HP didn't. If HP were insane enough to sue Samsung over it, they'd be laughed right out of court and out a bit of money in legal fees.
I think dignitary answered that one for us all http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ml#post3348926
Old 09/02/2012, 08:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
News Contributor

Here the article in Draft at this time (copyright)

It is ready to be published first working hour in the morning, Monday September 3. To be tweeted to @HP @MegWhitman @SamsungMobile @SamsungMobileUS @webOS

Pls let me know what do you think about it?

At this time Apple wants to put Samsung against the wall, at least in the USA, and went this Friday with all the caballeria (cavalry) asking the US Court in California to ban the most recent Samsung mobile devices Galaxy S III, Verizon Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note, and Galaxy Note 10.1.

Apple thinks they own all the features you can do with the multitouch way to perform any mobile in anyway.

But there are a lot of Palm Inc patents now owned by HP including webOS patents, that Samsung and all OEM`s should check them out.

Just go Google here: https://www.google.com/search?tbo=p&...Acju6wHHlIHgCg
make a search Palm Inc patents and you will see all the way thousands of them.

Besides, I think HP should make all the efforts to asure all OEM`s manufacturers worldwide that webOS opensource is others patents proof in order to avoid future lawsuits at all and before launching webOS Opensource 1.0 in September.

One of the Palm Inc patents I like is related to unfolding mobiles and you Samsung have the flexible displays ready to be incorporated in new mobiles. I believe that is one of the Trends for the late 2012 and 2013. There is no flexible/unfoldable mobile officialy unveiled for any OEM`s at this time yet, only concepts.

Patent US20030098857 - Detachable flexible and expandable display with touch sensor apparatus and ... - Google Patents

In this month HP will launch the final version of webOS Open 1.0, now available in Beta.

Last edited by akitayo; 09/02/2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09/02/2012, 10:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

Don't be in a rush to tweet this. Monday is a holiday and it can still use some polishing. I'm not sure tweeting is the best option anyways, how about an actual letter?

Old 09/02/2012, 11:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Don't be in a rush to tweet this. Monday is a holiday and it can still use some polishing. I'm not sure tweeting is the best option anyways, how about an actual letter?

Good idea to polish it a little, for the actual letter I remember Phil Mckinney once adviced me to send a suggestion to the HP CEO e-mailing it, but to make it public also, but thanks.
Old 09/02/2012, 11:30 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
HP (Palm) Patents list.?

I am trying to encourage Samsung to get webOS open source when it is ready in September. And all the other OEM`s manufacturers as well.

For that purpose I need to write an article to post it here and everywhere, So if anyone have a link to all the bunch of Palm patents I mean the thousands of it, please I will be very thankful.

The Headline of the article might be at this time:

Why, I think Apple is going all the way trying to ban all Samsung latest devices, also. The article here:
Apple adds Samsung's flagship Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note to amended 'Galaxy Nexus' complaint

and here: Apple adds Samsung's Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note and Galaxy Note 10.1 to ongoing patent lawsuit -- Engadget

PDF http://stadium.weblogsinc.com/engadg...-complaint.pdf

Quote:
"Today, all Android vendors are considering their software options," said Pete Cunningham, an analyst at research firm Canalys. Source: Android phone makers back platform but consider other options | Reuters

If you have also ideas why Samsung and OEM`s should embrace webOS opensource, pls let us know. Thanks.
I think you'd have a bigger impact if you wrote a credible memo with details of how Samsung, using open webOS, is going to be more profitable then Samsung using Android. I mean with factual numbers not just they typical i love webos, it has great multitasking, Leo sucked stuff. I mean write a real business plan, with manufacturing estimates, parts prices, domestic and international sales projections, etc. Now i doubt anybody is gonna do that cause that's real work and would take a lot of man hours but that's what really needs to be done. Honestly I think the Patent angle is beyond everyone except knowledgeable patent attorneys and those with a thorough understanding of Samsung's intellectual property needs & actual intellectual property, all the way down to engineering designs and lines of code. regardless, good luck to you. oh you can also do patent searches here on the patent and trademark offices website.
Thanked by akitayo, dignitary
Old 09/03/2012, 01:21 AM   #18 (permalink)

Someone actually believes that Samsung doesn't know that Open WebOS exists and that they haven't looked at the costs, benefits and negatives of using it?
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by SnotBoogie likes this.
Old 09/03/2012, 07:47 AM   #19 (permalink)

I'm sure some mid-level guy knows about it' but I wouldn't be surprised if webOS has gone off the radar of the higher-ups.
Old 09/03/2012, 08:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
Rnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
Someone actually believes that Samsung doesn't know that Open WebOS exists and that they haven't looked at the costs, benefits and negatives of using it?
I believe.

The company is big too much to stop and study the webOS in all details so easy...

Best Regards...

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0