webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open webOS - Desktop Build released
Open webOS - Desktop Build released
Like Tree20Likes

Old 09/02/2012, 03:58 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
in the terminal app

in the code ./ blah blah

"./" means your home folder, thats where it starts. So if you extracted the stuff to the webos folder in your Downloads folder, you put in "./Downloads/webos"... etc
^hope it helps people, im in a rush though, sorry.
Not trying to be nit picking or anything but "./" is shorthand for the CURRENT directory, not home directory.

"~/" is home directory.

In the build instructions they have assumed that you are currently in the "build-webos" directory so "./" works.

If you try to run the commands as they are in the instructions from anywhere except the "build-webos" directory you will have problems.
zane9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: xandros9
Old 09/02/2012, 04:03 AM   #42 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I really wonder what webOS on desktop is for right now other than a proof-of-concept?

I like the idea of webOS on desktop, especially if i had access to the same apps and their data of my mobile devices Palm-Profile.

But will this ever be possible?

I think HP missed the chance to evolve the innovation of backing up the profile-data in the cloud (since 2009), to a iCloud-like solution where also local appdata is synced *in the could palm-profile and could be used on any device. They already have the infrastrucure implemented (Profile-backup & db8 cloud database) but never took that last step

I wonder why i should install webOS on the desktop if i only have access to the stockapps. OK a nice GUI, but to be swiped with a mouse? And for webOS Email,Calendar,Notes,Browser - well there are better solutions with more functions in any desktop OS.

If i had access to apps like Fuel, ClassicNotes, Packagetrace, Mapping Tool, Shopping Manager, Share The Cost (STC), incl. the entries i made in the apps on my mobile device that would be an added value, cause i had this data and these special app functions on my large desktop.

Also having access to my Pre's photos or writing/read SMS Messages via profile-sharing would be a real usecase.

Or advance the system of on the USB-partition saved documents *to a dropbox-like service so you have access to these documents on the desktop or easily could put documents from desktop to mobile device. Well this could also be solved with advancing the synergy-service API to photos/music/documents. So Dropbox/Boxnet/NAS-manufacturers/flickr/"you-name-the-cloud-file-service" could write (or other devs) file-synergy connector services.
HP had it all already made by Palm, you just needed to make use of it and evolve it.

Sorry for the rant, just wanted to know what the buzz is about a great mobile OS GUI without real usecases on a PC-desktop?
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2012, 07:05 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
I really wonder what webOS on desktop is for right now other than a proof-of-concept?

Sorry for the rant, just wanted to know what the buzz is about a great mobile OS GUI without real usecases on a PC-desktop?
Palm said it has support for third party applications.

Looking at an OS like this from the ground up, makes one appreciate the process and all the work that has to be done in coding and design to take something to fully functioning level.

ps. took me hours to install this so I really don't recommend anyone installing this right now except those people who want to join webs ports in trying to code and improve the eventual release.

Edit: there is now a way to install third party applications

Last edited by bluenote; 09/02/2012 at 07:14 PM.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2012, 07:14 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagster View Post
Questions for those that have managed to build and run Open webOS beta.

How is it compared to 3.0.5?
What's the browser like?
What's missing? App cat? photos? settings?
I've managed to compile it on my Ubuntu machine.
It works but there's no browser, only few apps: calendar, calculator, clock, contacts, email, memos. There's no settings, you can only set email accounts. Check my short video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i7qrrgOMwY
mivoligo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by bmacfarland, R_E and jcmarcos like this.
Thanked By: hagster
Old 09/02/2012, 01:12 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mivoligo View Post
I've managed to compile it on my Ubuntu machine.
It works but there's no browser, only few apps: calendar, calculator, clock, contacts, email, memos. There's no settings, you can only set email accounts. Check my short video: Open WebOS on Ubuntu 12.04 - YouTube
I have built this, but when I execute the resulting qemux86 build, I boot the root image and drop to a prompt. Luna never starts, I'm not sure what I'm missing?!?
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2012, 02:18 PM   #46 (permalink)

@mivoligo - isn't it possible to compile Isis from the source code and install it on the Open webOS build? (I don't know for sure but I would guess it would be; with my limited knowledge I may just be asking a stupid question)

Also, I wanted to build it but I do not have an account on Github and I keep getting an error. Do I need to create an account on Github to link to my SSH key? I already made a key, I just didn't link it to any account because I don't feel like making one unless I have to. I was trying to build it on a Virtualbox VM with Ubuntu 12.04 with 1GB of RAM, 64MB of video memory and 2 logical cores @3.1ghz (Core i3-2100 with hyperthreading).
Old 09/02/2012, 05:51 PM   #47 (permalink)

Looks like several of you who tried have now got Open webOS running. I cannot get the build to complete as I've been receiving fatal errors building Open webOS in Ubuntu.

Screencaps are identical to what habergowd posted here. No matter what number of CPU cores I use with ./mcf -p 0 -b 0 qemux86 I get the identical errors:

config.status: creating conf/local.conf
fatal: Not a git repository (or any parent up to mount parent /home)
Stopping at filesystem boundary (GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM not set).
File "/usr/lib/python3.2/subprocess.py", line 489, in check_call
raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command 'git submodule init bitbake' returned non-zero exit status 128

I'm running a Dell Vostro 220 that's dual-booting 32-bit Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS and 32-bit Win 7 Pro with a
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7300 @ 2.66GHz 2 and 2 GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM.

BUILD-qemux86/config.log reports the following about Ubuntu:
uname -m = i686
uname -r = 3.2.0-29-generic
uname -s = Linux
uname -v = #46-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 27 17:04:05 UTC 2012

Last edited by sspirall; 09/02/2012 at 07:16 PM.
sspirall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2012, 06:02 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspirall View Post
Your error is described right on the building instructions page. You need a github account with an SSH key added to it.

Compiling it under parallels with 4 cores and 4 gb RAM, still so damn slow... It had already consumed around 10 gb of HDD space, still task 1545 of 3506.
toxuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2012, 07:19 PM   #49 (permalink)

@toxuin
My github account was indeed created. I did follow the instructions word for word, pasting the key went fine, cloning also went fine, when I tried the build I got several errors. And no, I didn't download a .zip or .tar which were the only actions the instructions specifically stated would create this error. So park your "linux pro" high horse at a different user board 'cause your sarcastic attempt to *ahem* help (read: smackdown) was not suited to an Open webOS newbie topic. Maybe take a look at those screen captures I mentioned, or... here's a verbose terminal capture which I couldn't have arrived to without successful a GitHub ID:

~$ ./build-webos/mcf -p 0 -b 0 qemux86
checking customization... none
checking parallel_make... 2
checking bb_number_threads... 2
checking premirror... Index of /mirror/sources
checking network... yes
checking fetch_premirror_only... 0
checking generate_mirror_tarballs... 0
checking private_internal_component_mirror... no
checking bitbake... submodule
checking oecore... submodule
checking webos... submodule
checking metaoe... submodule
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating bitbake.rc
config.status: creating conf/bblayers.conf
config.status: creating conf/local.conf
Stopping at filesystem boundary (GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM not set).
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./build-webos/mcf", line 282, in <module>
force_submodule('bitbake', options.verbose, options.bitbake)
File "./build-webos/mcf", line 57, in force_submodule
echo_check_call('git submodule init {}'.format(submodule), verbosity)
File "./build-webos/mcf", line 50, in echo_check_call
cwd=cwd)
File "/usr/lib/python3.2/subprocess.py", line 489, in check_call
raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command 'git submodule init bitbake' returned non-zero exit status 128
sspirall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2012, 02:50 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by habergowd View Post
so, with sudo ./build-webos/mcf -p 0 -b 0 qemux86
Screen Shot 2012-09-01 at 11.36.35 AM.png

with sudo ./build-webos/mcf -p 4-b 4 qemux86
Screen Shot 2012-09-01 at 11.38.23 AM.png

with sudo ./build-webos/mcf -p 0 -b 0 qemux86
Screen Shot 2012-09-01 at 11.39.53 AM.png

with sudo./build-webos/mcf -p 1 -b 1
Screen Shot 2012-09-01 at 11.41.47 AM.png

please help :C
Out of interest, what are we missing with these failed builds?
local.bin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2012, 06:53 AM   #51 (permalink)

Guys, I see you're trying to build "build-webos". What I did was "build-desktop".
AFAIK "build-webos" is for embedded devices and is "targeting an ARM emulator" ( quote from Open webOS :: Overview).
"build-desktop" on the other hand, runs like a normal application in Ubuntu.

Quote:
@mivoligo - isn't it possible to compile Isis from the source code and install it on the Open webOS build? (I don't know for sure but I would guess it would be; with my limited knowledge I may just be asking a stupid question)
I compiled Isis as a separate application (video soon ). I do not know (yet) how to put it inside Open webOS.
mivoligo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2012, 08:46 AM   #52 (permalink)

what is the make target name to build the ubuntu desktop app, "build-desktop"?
mtiberio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2012, 08:48 AM   #53 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Read the README.md in the github for the desktop build scripts.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2012, 08:53 AM   #54 (permalink)

Holy *****, I just realized that you have to modify the instructions from this:
git clone https://github.com/openwebos/build-webos.git
to this:
git clone https://github.com/openwebos/build-desktop.git

to get the desktop version...
Thanked By: local.bin
Old 09/03/2012, 09:20 AM   #55 (permalink)

had to install autoconf:
apt-get install autoconf
also libtool:
apt-get install libtool
also yajl:
Crafted Software: Installing Io language on Ubuntu

always easier to read the README... DOH

Last edited by mtiberio; 09/03/2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09/03/2012, 09:22 AM   #56 (permalink)

I installed the desktop version last night, and other than my laptop only having a 1024x768 screen (doh!), it works great for what it is. I'd be interested in how to get third party apps onboard, and wondered if anyone has managed to replace their desktop with the WebOS one, one of the reasons I do not run Ubuntu (until last night) is the horriblw user interface. Unity is a crime against humanity. (Obviously only my opinion, no one take offense)

But, in serious tones, the email rendered html content fast. Very fast. I'm running on a Dell Latitude D410, 1.7 GHz Pentium M (single core) with 2 GB RAM. Oh yeah, and Intel graphics. Not exactly a powerhouse. The graphics are smooth and I had no trouble syncing my Gmail account. I also didn't have any of the issues I thought I would with the touch interface, it was quite navigable with the mouse.

Not to introduce any Irony, but this would be fun to play with on one of those HP all-in-one touchsceen PC's.
tonymac32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelmutsKohl and grasshoper like this.
Old 09/03/2012, 10:07 AM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac32 View Post
Unity is a crime against humanity. (Obviously only my opinion, no one take offense)
(
agree... install gnome classic and your dislike will be over...
Old 09/03/2012, 10:40 AM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mivoligo View Post

I compiled Isis as a separate application (video soon ). I do not know (yet) how to put it inside Open webOS.
did you try these instructions from openwebos dev?

To install your app on open webOS, just untar the app directories under /luna-binaries/rootfs/usr/palm/applications then re-start SysMgr
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: mivoligo
Old 09/03/2012, 11:56 AM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac32 View Post
Unity is a crime against humanity. (Obviously only my opinion, no one take offense)(
That's why I prefer Zorin OS. Ubuntu-based with a desktop-switcher for a Windows/MacOS/Gnome-look-a-like.

Last edited by HelmutsKohl; 09/03/2012 at 12:29 PM.
HelmutsKohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2012, 12:12 PM   #60 (permalink)

got it running on my desktop. Must have been a huge effort on the part of the developers. Kudos to all involved who no doubt busted their tail to get this out...

I hope someone is getting paid for this because there is plenty left to do...

Liked by xandros9 likes this.

Tags
open, webos

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0