webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Is this the week that we've been waiting for - Open WebOS alpha?
Is this the week that we've been waiting for - Open WebOS alpha?
Like Tree7Likes

Old 08/26/2012, 03:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Are we still on schedule for a Open WebOS 1.0 alpha release that we can start playing with by Friday? If so, how quickly do folks estimate someone will have it running on a device?
Pretty exciting if so. I'm interested to see the speed increases and really everything else about it.
millertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2012, 09:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I don't think we'd be able to make any estimations about getting it onto a device -- if the current build system is any indication, it'll be a bit difficult to get it to build for anything but desktop linux. Also, if the entire rest of the system is coming out all at once, that's a huuuuuuuuuuuuge amount of code left to drop.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2012, 03:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was wondering when in September open Webos will be released.

-- Sent from my 4G Touchpad using Communities
bulls96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2012, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am certain they will need every last day in Sept to release it. I'm willing to bet it will still have unfinished bits then.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2012, 12:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

The CE version was released already and is the only one coming the touchpad I believe.
eshum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2012, 01:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

they've already announced that Open webOS will not be installable on the TouchPad; in fact when it is released it will be an OS without a device to run on. it's been suggested it may be possible to mix bits of webOS CE and Open webOS together to get something that will run on a TouchPad, but it will likely take some serious work. not the sort of thing you should expect to have by Friday. or next Friday.
johnsonx42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2012, 02:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

If CE is just a modified version of 3.0.5 shouldn't we be able to use Meta Dr to hash together the 2 OSs and get it working on the touchpad?
darth_luigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2012, 08:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

I think it's possible to get it on older devices, but the folks at HP just don't want to/can't do it. I guess that's where we as a community come in.
as always...
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2012, 08:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
If CE is just a modified version of 3.0.5 shouldn't we be able to use Meta Dr to hash together the 2 OSs and get it working on the touchpad?
CE is not the OS. It is just Luna, the "windows manager" for the OS. A windows manager controls the drawing of windows and is what the user uses to interface with apps and the underlying OS. The OS is the part that interfaces with the hardware and includes all of the drivers/utilities. The OS will not be released for the TouchPad because most of the TouchPad's hardware drivers are proprietary. HP is unwilling or unable to release binary versions of the TouchPad's drivers for openWebOS.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: darth_luigi
Old 08/27/2012, 09:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

So LunaCE (Community Edition?) is a testing ground for later including it in refined form in openWebOS for hardware other than the TP? I guess it also acts as fair-exchange grounds to donate!

Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2012, 12:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
I think it's possible to get it on older devices, but the folks at HP just don't want to/can't do it. I guess that's where we as a community come in.
as always...
To be fair, the touchpad was canceled. It is kinda hard to convince a company to continue support + updates for a product canceled over a year ago .

However I wouldn't complain if the community took a crack at it .

Remember!!
*In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

geeksquadkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2012, 04:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Can someone please explain what the CE really will do for someone with a touchpad? I was expecting that once Open WebOS was finished it would be compatible with the few devices that all ready run WebOS. This was changed during the long waiting period to say CE will be the only thing that works for the Touchpad. Fine. But if I now have to wait for the CE version to be then worked on by the "Community" what was the point of creating a CE version that is still unusable to anyone (just like the Open WebOS) until it is for lack of a better word, hacked???? Seems like those programmers could have been better utilized spending their time on projects that will actually benefit HP consumers now or in the stated future (projects slated to go to market).

I understand lots of things are up in the air there. I just don't see the news in this to an end user/owner of a current device anymore. Since I got an IPhone I understand the one thing Palm got wrong, simplicity. No reading between the lines. No "In the coming months". Just simplicity. That is interchangable with elegance to people. POS and WebOS have been great, but they have not been simple in perception. This confusion just adds to that for me.

Simple question: Should an end user owning any device running WebOS expect to see something they will be able to simply download (even if it's through Preware) upgrading their OS that they will be able to use to improve their device or not?

Last edited by trowany; 08/27/2012 at 04:29 PM.
trowany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2012, 05:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trowany View Post
Simple question: Should an end user owning any device running WebOS expect to see something they will be able to simply download (even if it's through Preware) upgrading their OS that they will be able to use to improve their device or not?
HP have specifically said they will not be doing that.

LunaCE from WebOS Internals' WebOS Ports team supports the TouchPad and is in alpha testing right now. There are videos which show what it does so far.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Rockbeast
Old 08/27/2012, 05:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
HP have specifically said they will not be doing that.

LunaCE from WebOS Internals' WebOS Ports team supports the TouchPad and is in alpha testing right now. There are videos which show what it does so far.

-- Rod

Yes.. but is that LunaCE code then going to be incorporated into OpenwebOS for use in other devices once 'testing' on the TP within this community is satisfactorily completed?

~~~
Old 08/27/2012, 05:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
Yes.. but is that LunaCE code then going to be incorporated into OpenwebOS for use in other devices once 'testing' on the TP within this community is satisfactorily completed?

~~~
The Open webOS code is not released yet, nor does anyone know what devices it supports (if any), so I'm not sure how anyone could answer that question.

LunaCE is licensed the same way as Open webOS, so anyone can do just about anything they want with both pieces of code.

-- Rod
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 08/27/2012, 05:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
The Open webOS code is not released yet, nor does anyone know what devices it supports (if any), so I'm not sure how anyone could answer that question.

LunaCE is licensed the same way as Open webOS, so anyone can do just about anything they want with both pieces of code.

-- Rod

Thanks for your further clarifications here.. this sounds like good potential for further broader development, with this Community potentially acting as an excellent testing ground!
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 08/27/2012, 06:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Also, from what we've seen of the current source code, the Luna in owos is quite similar to the LunaCE, so it shouldn't be difficult to put whatever is done in one into the other, at this time.

As to if any of those things will make it into the "official" open webos, who knows
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by netwrkr9 likes this.
Old 08/27/2012, 07:16 PM   #18 (permalink)

Go to page 5 of the articles and it's explained there.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2012, 06:11 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime View Post
If so, how quickly do folks estimate someone will have it running on a device?
As soon as we can! There are two main groups I know of that are working hard at porting Open webOS over to phones. These are Phoenix and webOS Internals . There is a lot of exciting stuff going on that we can't talk about, but keep an eye on the following sites:

PHX Devices
Phoenix International Communications Facebook

Also, don't forget the amazing WebOS Internals and WebOS Ports

Rest assured things ARE definitely happening!

Stu
stuartguthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2012, 07:18 AM   #20 (permalink)

What the hell??!
Everyone have seen this?

https://github.com/openwebos/core-apps

Quote:
Limitations
Note: The following limitations apply to this July 2012 Beta release. Additional functionality will be supported in the future.

Third-party accounts such as Google, Yahoo, Facebook, etc... are not supported at this time.
You can create imap/pop email accounts.
You can create local contacts and local calendars. The contacts and calendar events that you create will be stored locally and will not sync to external servers.
It's a joke really??!
wMarck90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0