webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > webOS tablet 2013. Meg word.
webOS tablet 2013. Meg word.
Like Tree24Likes

Old 08/18/2012, 10:52 AM   #21 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
This is good news, but I'll be temperate with my outlook. Unless they get apps on the catalog it won't be a success and HP can simply say "See? We made the right choice originally". Like others, I would MUCH prefer a new phone. I'm not sure how much longer mine will hold out unfortunately. But it's great to see HP backtracking and rethinking their plans!
I'm guessing OpenMobile's ACL will only support Open webOS and not legacy. That would solve the App Catalog complaint nicely, make it obvious that all legacy users would want upgraded hardware, stir interest in former users, create buzz with non-users and help leverage the idea of Open webOS as an option for a phone OEM that is tired of loosing money on Fandroid, but is reluctant to buy into Msft's licensing...

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/18/2012, 10:57 AM   #22 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
This is good news, but I'll be temperate with my outlook. Unless they get apps on the catalog it won't be a success and HP can simply say "See? We made the right choice originally". Like others, I would MUCH prefer a new phone. I'm not sure how much longer mine will hold out unfortunately. But it's great to see HP backtracking and rethinking their plans!
That is a good question for me, as well. Is easy/fast to convert an Android app to work on a webOS device.?

Will actual webOS,Enyo , cloud developers softwares and Ares tool help that fast at this time.? or what other tools are available for that?
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/18/2012, 11:58 AM   #23 (permalink)
Rnp

Convince the developer to create apps that run over HTML5 with Enyo.

This way, his apps can run in any portable, note or desk in brownser (chrome, for example) without think if have to work in OS "A", "B" or "C".

So, I believe this can be a step before webOS apps in phone.

Other thing: in tablet, we need less apps, because the screen is good to use the websites, while in smartphones we need the apps to adapt the content to small screen.

Best Regards...
Liked by akitayo and fxspec06 like this.
Thanked By: fxspec06
Old 08/18/2012, 12:57 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
I don't care for tablets, I just want a phone. A real shame.
Yeah, same here. I use my TouchPad at home, but my Pre3 is always on me. I'd love to see a new lineup of Pre phones. :-)
stuartguthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 08/18/2012, 05:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartguthrie View Post
Yeah, same here. I use my TouchPad at home, but my Pre3 is always on me. I'd love to see a new lineup of Pre phones. :-)
At this time Post Pre phones
Old 08/19/2012, 12:12 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post

Other thing: in tablet, we need less apps, because the screen is good to use the websites, while in smartphones we need the apps to adapt the content to small screen.

Best Regards...
I beg to differ on that, in the tablet form factor we[Users] request more applications on the tablet than the regular smartphones smaller screens. I would rather have more useful applications on my HP TouchPad that I could surf the internet, messaging, office apps, movie apps, game apps than I would ever have on my Palm Pre 2. Every iPad device that I see around in the streets(like in the coffee shops, airports, and libraries), everyone has tons of apps(pages of it) downloaded to their tablets than I see on their smartphones.

I think that for my Palm Pre 2 device applications, wish that I could have the ability to use an official Skype app, Adobe's Photoshop, more internet browsers, SMS free messaging apps, VoIP calling apps. Well, that just my 2 cents on the subject....

And as far to the opinion on this forum, about WebOS possibility of getting developers to starting creating apps and placing their focus and their undivided attention into this abandon OS platform once it hits Open Source(under the guidance of HP, with this whole Enyo project) .....Let's say I'm sorry to informed you it won't happen that easily. HP besides burning their bridges with Asian manufacturers, and consumers alike.....they managed to kill one of the most important part of an mobile OS survival which is "developer support". If this OS wants to see apps on their Catalog store, we will have to witness a new miracle for WebOS in order to see any company to start taking an interest in this platform once again.
Old 08/19/2012, 12:49 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
I'm guessing OpenMobile's ACL will only support Open webOS and not legacy. That would solve the App Catalog complaint nicely, make it obvious that all legacy users would want upgraded hardware, stir interest in former users, create buzz with non-users and help leverage the idea of Open webOS as an option for a phone OEM that is tired of loosing money on Fandroid, but is reluctant to buy into Msft's licensing...
OpenMobile has stated that the ACL they are working on is for webOS 3.0.

They don't have the unfinished Open webOS source code, so its not safe to assume that the ACL is being developed for that.
i2y4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/19/2012, 12:40 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
OpenMobile has stated that the ACL they are working on is for webOS 3.0.

They don't have the unfinished Open webOS source code, so its not safe to assume that the ACL is being developed for that.
You would have to assume that anyone involved is under an NDA, including OpenMobile.
jjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/19/2012, 01:06 PM   #29 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
OpenMobile has stated that the ACL they are working on is for webOS 3.0..
Is there a recent link to verify that?

When I emailed them in late May and asked about PHONE support they replied there would be an App in the HP App catalog. They never specified what it would support.

If OpenMobile is working with HP (and I believe that is the case) they would, in all likelihood, have updates on Open Source code as it develops. If I remember correctly the original ACL to run on webOS was very close to release before Apotheker killed HP's commitment to the OS. If ACL were to support legacy it should have surfaced again somewhere as a leaked "preview" like the ACL for Tizen...

The fact that ACL for webOS has submerged beneath the surface and is running so deep that no ripples of its progress reach the surface leads me to believe they are revamping to meet compatability with Open Source. I'm sure there is communication with HP and am willing to bet the first sign of ACL is when OpenMobile surfaces with webOS ACL, puts up its periscope and fires a torpedo that sinks legacy hopes by unveiling an ACL that supports Open Source and is not backwards compatible to anything including TouchPad.

OpenMobile will want to be in HP's good graces and ride along on the future of Open Source webOS. This is how they will do it.

I'm not trying to be a bummer or overly pessimistic. I'm simply trying to assemble the puzzle pieces we do have into something that resembles a picture.

Mobile Nations Devotee
Old 08/19/2012, 01:21 PM   #30 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Let me add two points:

1) OpenMobile must necessarily be in close contact with HP regarding ACL. How else do you develop something of that magnitude unless it is in direct conference with the OS architect?

2) Legacy support is now most likely exclusive to the efforts of webOS Internals and that is why I donated $31 USD to them during the ongoing web-a-thon. Anyone concerned about the continuing functionality of their legacy device should consider donating...

Mobile Nations Devotee

Last edited by RumoredNow; 08/19/2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Tried to add Countdown Timer and failed :(
Old 08/19/2012, 01:39 PM   #31 (permalink)

How many Palm/HP phones are still being used today? They never sold very well in the first place.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/19/2012, 01:48 PM   #32 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
How many Palm/HP phones are still being used today? They never sold very well in the first place.
I'm guessing you have zero in use.

That has nothing to do with the OP or the other replies in this thread, Monsieur le Troll. The subject is tablets.

Quote:
How many TouchPads are still being used today? Especially without CM7 or CM9? They never sold very well in the first place.
There. I fixed it for you.

You are most welcome.

Mobile Nations Devotee
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 08/19/2012, 03:02 PM   #33 (permalink)

Um, phones are mentioned in this thread.

How many WebOS phones do my wife and i have in use? 2. Your guess is 100% wrong.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/19/2012, 03:17 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Is there a recent link to verify that?

When I emailed them in late May and asked about PHONE support they replied there would be an App in the HP App catalog. They never specified what it would support.

If OpenMobile is working with HP (and I believe that is the case) they would, in all likelihood, have updates on Open Source code as it develops. If I remember correctly the original ACL to run on webOS was very close to release before Apotheker killed HP's commitment to the OS. If ACL were to support legacy it should have surfaced again somewhere as a leaked "preview" like the ACL for Tizen...

The fact that ACL for webOS has submerged beneath the surface and is running so deep that no ripples of its progress reach the surface leads me to believe they are revamping to meet compatability with Open Source. I'm sure there is communication with HP and am willing to bet the first sign of ACL is when OpenMobile surfaces with webOS ACL, puts up its periscope and fires a torpedo that sinks legacy hopes by unveiling an ACL that supports Open Source and is not backwards compatible to anything including TouchPad.

OpenMobile will want to be in HP's good graces and ride along on the future of Open Source webOS. This is how they will do it.

I'm not trying to be a bummer or overly pessimistic. I'm simply trying to assemble the puzzle pieces we do have into something that resembles a picture.
I will try to find the source for you, since you don't want to take my word for it. I've got to find some time first.

Open webOS isn't done yet, I doubt Open Mobile has any worthwhile code to build an ACL for it. Open Mobile doesn't have anything released for anyone yet, so assuming plans changed because they're changing strategies to Open webOS is far-fetched.

You have to remember HP isn't paying Open Mobile for their work (at least publicly). Open Mobile is charging consumers to download the ACL through an app store. Why target a platform with 0 customers and no future or current hardware?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
i2y4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/19/2012, 04:04 PM   #35 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
I will try to find the source for you, since you don't want to take my word for it. I've got to find some time first.

Open webOS isn't done yet, I doubt Open Mobile has any worthwhile code to build an ACL for it. Open Mobile doesn't have anything released for anyone yet, so assuming plans changed because they're changing strategies to Open webOS is far-fetched.

You have to remember HP isn't paying Open Mobile for their work (at least publicly). Open Mobile is charging consumers to download the ACL through an app store. Why target a platform with 0 customers and no future or current hardware?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
I believe that they said ACL would support 3.x, but that may have been an old plan. I'd love to be proved wrong. I've just not been able to track down any OpenMobile ACL on webOS info that is newer than last spring...

Mobile Nations Devotee
Old 08/19/2012, 04:05 PM   #36 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
...How many WebOS phones do my wife and i have in use? 2. Your guess is 100% wrong.
I stand corrected

Mobile Nations Devotee
Old 08/19/2012, 10:51 PM   #37 (permalink)
News Contributor

Now the question is, When webOS Opensource 1.0 is ready in September, what will come first a webos Tablet made by HP or a OEM ? or a smartphone by an OEM ?
Old 08/20/2012, 12:50 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post

1.- Sept 2013 webos opens source.- check.
Erm ... shouldn't this be: 2012 ??
Old 08/20/2012, 09:29 PM   #39 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I believe that they said ACL would support 3.x, but that may have been an old plan. I'd love to be proved wrong. I've just not been able to track down any OpenMobile ACL on webOS info that is newer than last spring...:
How about someone write them instead of speculating? At the very least, they'll say they're under NDA. At most, they'll tell you their target webOS version(s), whether it's still on track, and whether they even still plan to release it.

I'm just finding it odd that OpenMobile still hasn't released their ACL for the very first OS they announced it for (Meego), almost a year after announcing it. My guess is that with Android adding new SDK versions that OpenMobile is finding itself having to continually update their ACL internally for compatibility with newer apps or face many users that complain their favorite Android 4.0 (ICS) app, such as Chrome, won't work. With Jellybean (4.1), it's back to updating yet again.

Again, though, if there are so many questions here in the community, perhaps someone should take the initiative to poke them via email or have Derek do it for them.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2012, 10:43 PM   #40 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
Erm ... shouldn't this be: 2012 ??
Thanks Already edited.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0