webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > New HP Mobility GBU
New HP Mobility GBU
Like Tree17Likes

Old 08/17/2012, 03:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rnp

HP Mobility GBU makes the hardware, Gram makes the software... this way, the M$ cannot against the HP directly...

I'm wrong?

Best Regards...
Old 08/17/2012, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

I am so confused by HP any more...

Wasn't it just about a year ago HP was no longer making hardware?.... (rhetorical)
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2012, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

left hand doesnt know what the right hand is doing.

or in our case the left (HP Hardware) hand doesnt care what the right hand (Gram/webOS) is doing.

guessing any new hardware wont even look at webOS and will keep focusing on windows.
Old 08/17/2012, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

nuff said.
If this is a new strategy by HP, I don't grasp it. Did they at last realize that they have work to do, to catch up with the market? Or are this feeble attempts following the motto "operational hectic replaces mental stillness" ??

Ah, we'll see ... *leans back and gets the popcorn*
Old 08/17/2012, 03:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
News Contributor

I see the picture this way:

HP announced new Mobile Global Business Unit (MGBU) to focus in consumer tablets. Will GRAM with webOS and Enyo be its software supplier.?

According to The Verge and the leaked internal memo below HP has created a brand new Mobility Global Business Unit in order to focus on consumer tablets and will expand to additional segments and categories

With this move, we are building on our commitment to re-invest in mobility via dedicated leadership, focused research and development, amazing new products and a growing suite of applications and services, says Todd Bradley Executive Vice President of HP’s Printing and Personal Systems organization,

If HP is now re-investing in mobility for making amazing new products I don`t discard the idea this new MGBU will take HP`s GRAM ( webOS and Enyo ) new software business unit as its supplier for those upcoming new hardwares.

Alberto Torres

To lead the Mobility GBU, HP have recruited a proven executive from the mobile-device industry. Alberto Torres, who most recently oversaw the MeeGo products and platform at Nokia as Executive Vice President, will join HP as Senior Vice President of Mobility, reporting to Todd Bradley..

Todd Bradley HP internal memo:

Todd Bradley

As the world's largest PC and printing business, we make it matter for hundreds of millions of people each and every day. Today we are taking an important step to serve even more customers in new and exciting ways.

I am pleased to announce that we are creating a team dedicated to delivering the best mobility solutions in the industry. With this move, we are building on our commitment to re-invest in mobility via dedicated leadership, focused research and development, amazing new products and a growing suite of applications and services.

Our new Mobility Global Business Unit initially will focus on consumer tablets and will expand to additional segments and categories where we believe we can offer differentiated value to our customers. Our existing notebook teams, including our soon-to-be launched commercial tablet, will remain within the PC GBU under James Mouton at this time
To lead the Mobility GBU, I am thrilled to announce that we have recruited a proven executive from the mobile-device industry. Alberto Torres, who most recently oversaw the MeeGo products and platform at Nokia as Executive Vice President, will join HP as Senior Vice President of Mobility, reporting to me.

I am excited to have Alberto join us. During his seven years at Nokia, he held a variety of critical leadership positions, including two years on the company's Executive Board. In earlier roles at Nokia, Alberto ran the company's premium brand, its accessory and CDMA businesses and corporate strategy. Prior to Nokia, he was a partner at McKinsey and Company, where he worked with industry leaders in mobile devices, consumer technologies, software and Internet services. A Ph.D in computer science from Stanford University, Alberto currently holds vice chairman roles with the firms Bang & Olufsen and Opera Software.

Alberto's first order of business will be to accelerate our tablet strategy and begin to execute products against our consumer/SMB target. The exact structure of his team will follow that strategy.

Alberto's start date will be September 3. Please join me in welcoming Alberto to HP and in supporting him and his team in their important work.
Regards,
Todd

Last edited by akitayo; 08/17/2012 at 03:35 PM.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 08/17/2012, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
cgk

Sure they spun it off and made it open-source so that their new mobility unit could make use of it - makes perfect sense.

They will turn out largely generic windows 8 tablets - HP is a follower not a leader.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2012, 04:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

i see their seperated "entity" the same as how commodore ran and failed, it will be seperate at a guess so if it bombs down the toilet it wont take the rest of HP with it.

like a person being driven into the middle of a desert, handed a backpack with some bare essentials for maybe a week and told, there you go, your on your own from now on, good luck. ................*drives off*

id love to be wrong tho, bigtime, woudl help if everythign they did of late didnt confuzzle the hell out of me.
Old 08/17/2012, 05:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rnp

Quote:
Our existing notebook teams, including our soon-to-be launched commercial tablet, will remain within the PC GBU under James Mouton at this time
To lead the Mobility GBU, I am thrilled to announce that we have recruited a proven executive from the mobile-device industry. Alberto Torres,
Interesting... So, the next tablet in "PC" GBU gives the idea that is a Windows tablet. So, maybe the Mobility can use webOS?

An leave the webOS team "out of the HP" can be a strategy to avoid the M$ contract problem?

Best Regards...
Old 08/17/2012, 06:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
Interesting... So, the next tablet in "PC" GBU gives the idea that is a Windows tablet. So, maybe the Mobility can use webOS?

An leave the webOS team "out of the HP" can be a strategy to avoid the M$ contract problem?

Best Regards...
we can only hope...
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2012, 08:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

If I didn't feel like HP is hopeless I might have started getting excited over the recent news. It seems as though HP is getting everything lined up for a re-entry into the mobile space. Back in January I wrote down a little list of things that I thought webOS needed to become relevant again. One of the most important pieces in my mind was a re-branding...

-webOS is now under a new organization, GRAM
-HP Mobility GBU will oversee consumer mobile products
-Open webOS Beta will be released this month

Maybe we'll all get our questions about the future of webOS answered shortly... Then again it is HP, it is probably just a coincidence.

Last edited by i2y4n; 08/17/2012 at 10:54 PM.
i2y4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2012, 09:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Why is there so much hate here?

THIS IS GOOD NEWS.

BE HAPPY

fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, cujoq37, OldSkoolVWLover and 1 others like this.
Old 08/17/2012, 10:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

This is potentially great news.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, cujoq37, OldSkoolVWLover and 2 others like this.
Thanked by Daughain, fxspec06
Old 08/17/2012, 11:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
Why is there so much hate here?

THIS IS GOOD NEWS.

BE HAPPY
Its hard to be happy after everything we've seen come from HP. I was one of the ones sticking up for HP until Leo destroyed everything.

Bottom line is we shouldn't be happy yet. There are still no new devices coming, phones especially. No increased platform development support, app developer support, ecosystem improvements, nothing. What should we be happy about? No future plans either.

I need to see action before I can start gettin excited again.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
i2y4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Old 08/18/2012, 12:02 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
This is potentially great news.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
I agree. HP's current tablet plans involve Windows so that is left with the PC GBU. The changes leave the door open to use another OS, including webOS, on future tablets and hopefully other devices. Fingers crossed. :-)
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/18/2012, 02:48 AM   #16 (permalink)

from allthingsd:
"Iíve confirmed from sources that the memo is authentic, and Iíve also gotten one bit of clarification for anyone who may still be confused. Torres (pictured from a video interview conducted last year), whose title will be senior vice president of Mobility, will report to Bradley and will not be working for Gram. Also, the Mobility GBU has nothing to do with Gram. Got it?

So now HP has one mobile group working on an open source operating system with an uncertain mission, and a hardware group that will be building tablets primarily running Windows. "

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ility-gbu.html

My guess is HP canceled their RT tablet as its design did not stack up against Microsoft. They hired Torres (who apparently had some design chops while at Meego) to try again with RT.

webOS meantime is relegated to back office IT software management of cloud functions as it can be used for multi-tasking on linux systems without needing to support a robust consumer ecosystem of music/movies etc.
webOS apps running HP cloud services can also be repurposed via Enyo to run any customer's IT's dept existing stash of ARM tablets (maybe even marketing dept as well if HP can get that some webOS-enyo apps for that recent $12 bil acquisition or whatever it was).

Here's hoping some 3rd party picks up webOS and some solution can be worked out for android apps. My guess is HP won't pick it up again for hardware unless it gets 3rd party hardware adoption success and devs come back.

Last edited by bluenote; 08/18/2012 at 02:55 AM.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Old 08/18/2012, 04:22 AM   #17 (permalink)

I wouldn't give a **** about HP developing webOS hardware. At all.

All of these moves could be seen as strategic moves for webOS rebirth? Maybe, but nobody is talking about webOS at all (Gram talks about webOS core technologies, not webOS itself), so wy should anyone think this means anything positive about webOS?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
Old 08/18/2012, 05:07 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
I wouldn't give a **** about HP developing webOS hardware. At all.

All of these moves could be seen as strategic moves for webOS rebirth? Maybe, but nobody is talking about webOS at all (Gram talks about webOS core technologies, not webOS itself), so wy should anyone think this means anything positive about webOS?

Why? Because some of us are still using webOS and choose to be optimistic about its future.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 08/18/2012, 05:42 AM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I think we should see what happens in September.

I'm not going to run away screaming.

Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, xandros9 and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
Old 08/18/2012, 06:46 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncc View Post
Why? Because some of us are still using webOS and choose to be optimistic about its future.
All I say is that we don't have proofs of HP's commitent with webOS at all (opensourcing it doesn't count), so there's no reason to backup being positive, until something specific is announced.

Both press notes are absolutely vague, so at this point, there isn't anything to believe in.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0