webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Thinking about getting a webOS phone, wanna know about functionality...
Thinking about getting a webOS phone, wanna know about functionality...
Like Tree8Likes

Old 08/28/2012, 10:44 PM   #41 (permalink)

Okay, I was getting good responses on this thread. let's see if you guys are still around after the thread's been hijacked a couple of time, cause it looks I'm buying one of these phones in a few weeks to play with and see if it can do enough of what I need.

This bit here looks like something that may take a lot of time researching if I can't find an answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
I think there is 2.2.4 for Pre2 as well, if not OTA, then with some WebOS Doctor file...

That's the nice thing about WebOS: if it's not done by HP/Palm, it's available through the community
I assume there'll be some menu I can click around on the phone to "check updates" and see if there's an OTA update. But if not, where do I go about finding "WebOS Doctor files"?
levander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2012, 06:09 AM   #42 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

At least the european Pre2 should get 2.2.4 OTA, mine did.

If you really need a doctor, the easiest way to get them is webos internals: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals (best is to have the "right" doctor for your device somewhere on your computer.. )

You can get the exact doctor for your device via some HP/Palm-Support-Site stuff where you put in the credentials of your Palm/HP Account and such... and if you once did find the page, this is quite easy, too... but finding the site always takes ages for me...
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: levander
Old 08/29/2012, 09:42 AM   #43 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by levander View Post
...I assume there'll be some menu I can click around on the phone to "check updates" and see if there's an OTA update. But if not, where do I go about finding "WebOS Doctor files"?
There is a menu item titled "System Updates" which checks for OTA updates.

My (used) GSM Unlocked Pre 2 North American Model came with 2.2.4 installed.

The Internals listing shows 2.2.4 available for: SFR France, Rogers Canada, and both of the factory Unlocked models - European and North American. I believe these were all OTA updates either through the carrier or from the Palm/HP servers...

Also it is possible to build your own Meta-Doctor for 2.2.4 and Doctor other models like the Verizon Pre 2. Search the forum for that topic if and when it is needed.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2012, 12:21 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Okay, I was getting good responses on this thread. let's see if you guys are still around after the thread's been hijacked a couple of time, cause it looks I'm buying one of these phones in a few weeks to play with and see if it can do enough of what I need.

This bit here looks like something that may take a lot of time researching if I can't find an answer:

I assume there'll be some menu I can click around on the phone to "check updates" and see if there's an OTA update. But if not, where do I go about finding "WebOS Doctor files"?
Old 08/30/2012, 12:24 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Also it is possible to build your own Meta-Doctor for 2.2.4 and Doctor other models like the Verizon Pre 2. Search the forum for that topic if and when it is needed.
Yeah, that's what I'm trying. A Pre 2 on Verizon's network, through the Page Plus MVNO. Sounds like I'll probably end up creating my own Meta-Doctor file... I'm a software engineer by trade, so I ought to be able to get it done. Sounds like a pain, but I ought to be able to do it.

I appreciate you guys holding my hand to get me started, a testament that there's still a strong webOS community. Would have taken me forever to gather all this info on my own. It looks like I've now got enough information from just this one thread that I'm not stabbing in the dark any more. Was able to do a couple of searches and fairly efficiently answer some of my own questions today. Most tech communities I've been around are so damn big that as many questions as I had, I'd never have gotten them all answered in one thread. There's just so much noise in them, you have to really parse out what you want to know and ask very specific questions. This one's a lot easier to deal with.

I consider the stuff I asked about the basics of what most end-users will get the most bang for their buck out of a smartphone. Even though most people don't get how convenient the cloud makes everythhing, things like storing your contacts on Google and being able to effortlessly access them in your phone, your desktop, your laptop...There may not be a lot of new webOS users these days, but I'd guess this thread is a pretty good rough thread for any users who wants to get started.
Old 08/30/2012, 05:35 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I'm trying. A Pre 2 on Verizon's network, through the Page Plus MVNO. Sounds like I'll probably end up creating my own Meta-Doctor file... I'm a software engineer by trade, so I ought to be able to get it done. Sounds like a pain, but I ought to be able to do it.
It only sounds like a pain. If you're a software engineer you'll probably have no problems whatsoever. It's not black magic, it's pretty straightforward.
johnnygewitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2012, 02:48 PM   #47 (permalink)

Bumping this old thread of mine.

Searching around this forum, it doesn't look like webOS has any more than highly limited speech recognition capabilities. Two killer applications for speech recognition for me are sending quick text messages and adding items to my shopping list in my shopping list app (on my current Android phone). Also, being able to say "Navigate to such and such store in my contact list" or "Call Mom" comes in really handy.

All I found in the archives on this forum is Nuance has some speech recognition engine for webOS, but it only recognizes very basic commands like to open apps, and it provides no API's for other apps to make use of its speech recognition engine.

I just wanted to verify. webOS doesn't have the speech recognition capabilities I'm looking for, does it?
Old 10/01/2012, 08:23 AM   #48 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

not that I know of... on stock it only can dial numbers, afaik... but I never configured that properly, tbh.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0