webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Nothing runs linux 3.3 kernel yet...
Nothing runs linux 3.3 kernel yet...

Old 08/11/2012, 07:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Can someone explain to the rest of us what changes were made to the kernel that it can't run on our current hardware?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Daughain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/11/2012, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

i think its just because its new.
I have a friend, and i asked about the possibilities of 3.3 being supported on his asus transformer.

"Hopefully... We got some people working on a Linux kernel from torvalds source.... So probably since it's booting and such"

about our hardware, probably lack of will.
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/11/2012, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daughain View Post
Can someone explain to the rest of us what changes were made to the kernel that it can't run on our current hardware?

The main problem is not changes btw 3.2 and 3.3 but the fact that till webOS 3.XX palm has been using a custom version of the kernel with closed source drivers. In order to run any version of the standard kernel (even pre 3.3) you have to replace those drivers with open source ones(if exist) or write them from scratch. This is why CM team had difficulties to make, wifi, camera...work properly

For info the main changes btw 3.2 and 3.3 : Android drivers integration (good thing for future ports), audio output via HDMI
Vity Traff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/11/2012, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Linux 3.3 - Linux Kernel Newbies

They probably went with 3.3 because of the Android merge. All those um code stuff must be useful.
kill_dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/11/2012, 01:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
Linux 3.3 - Linux Kernel Newbies

They probably went with 3.3 because of the Android merge. All those um code stuff must be useful.
suppose it means wed be more compatible with any android hardware our devs end up trying to stuff webOS on them.

when in rome: use the same paths as the romans.
Old 08/11/2012, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Android source was merged in the 3.1 kernel.
Vity Traff; So the only real impediment for us is drivers?

Daughain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2012, 06:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

I don't get it - why do everybody talk about hardware supporting kernel 3.3? Isn't it the other way around? It sounds like the hardware should be designed to support the kernel instead of adding required components to the kernel.
Ofek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2012, 07:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofek View Post
I don't get it - why do everybody talk about hardware supporting kernel 3.3? Isn't it the other way around? It sounds like the hardware should be designed to support the kernel instead of adding required components to the kernel.
That has me confused as well when I hear ppl talking about no hardware supporting the latest kernel, but I guess it can be a bit of both? That is, if the kernel is being written on i386 architecture hardware, maybe its written to use features in those chips which haven't yet been implemented in the popular mobile chips (Snapdragon, Tegra, Cortex, etc)?

So if thats the case, I guess the devs will then need to turn off those features that are not critical, and implement software workarounds for those that are? Grateful if someone with more intimate knowledge of this stuff could shed some light.

Last edited by marcedhk; 08/12/2012 at 11:49 AM.
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2012, 12:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
g7

The Linux kernel runs almost on anything -- x86 (i386, amd64), arm (armel, armhf and every arm version such as v6 and v7), mips, etc etc
Just see the Debian GNU/Linux distribution which runs on (officially) 8 different architectures, all with the same kernel (Linux).

Linux 3.3 merges the Android patches (which before were developed outside the main kernel branch) with the official kernel distribution.

So when a pretty recent device with kernel 3.3 (or later) can run Android, it can run Open webOS too, as the kernel is (or at least should be) the same.
Of course the manufacturer can patch the kernel to add drivers for various things on the device, but they can be reused as the kernel base is the same.

I don't know if there is some mobile device which runs 3.3 (or later) kernels, but of course upcoming devices will, and they can probably run Open webOS.

(FYI the current Palm's pre3 kernel actually has some android patches.)

Eugenio
g7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/13/2012, 08:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daughain View Post
Vity Traff; So the only real impediment for us is drivers?
I'm quite sure that the only issue is drivers. Because ARM cpus still are ARM cpus and the Kernel did not drop support for arm... so it will run on ARM cpus.

The issue is two fold, I think.
1. Mobile devices usually are build around a SoC = System on a Chip. That means, the ARM Cpu is tightly coupled with all the other hardware and controllers that there is.

2. "Drivers" in the linux world are loadable kernel modules or even statically compiled into the kernel.

So we can be very sure that the Kernel 3.3 will still basically run on any ARM CPU that is out there. The issue is more that the default kernel might not contain all the drivers necessary to run most of the SoCs out there without issues.

I still think it is plain wrong to say "Hardware xy does not support Kernel 3.3"... But if you replace "Hardware" by "manufacturer" then maybe one get's closer... in any case you don't really have to worry about the kernel. You have to worry about the drivers.
Of course, if there is a system with a 3.3 linux kernel that runs on your favourite hardware already, then the port might be speed up considerably by "stealing" the kernel from that system and use it to start your Open webOS.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/13/2012, 09:15 AM   #11 (permalink)

Aren't there Wi-Fi drivers in the kernel patch on the Palm open source site? Or is that just a stub?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/15/2012, 04:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
g7

I don't think there are.

Anyway, I think (but can't say for sure as we currently do not have the full Open webOS source) that if we manage to run Nyx on top of current devices' kernel, we can run Open webOS.

Time will tell

Eugenio
g7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0