webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > What features do you want Open webOS to "borrow" from the competition?
What features do you want Open webOS to "borrow" from the competition?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Rnp
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By beca
  • 1 Post By daexpression
  • 1 Post By PalmPixi_User23

Old 08/10/2012, 12:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
News Contributor

I am re posting what Derek did on the front page. I think there are a lot of kuddos on forums members to let us know, what do you want from the competition on webos Open source. Comments made on the front page are not enough at this time. Think Derek is trying to get your wishes to tell HP and improve the OS. IMHO

"This month is supposed to finally bring the release of Open webOS 1.0. And while you won't be able to install it on pretty much anything, let alone your current webOS devices (at least out of the virtual box), that doesn't mean we aren't at least a little bit interested in what Open webOS will bring to the table. We're afraid that it's just going to be an open source version of webOS 3.0 with some updated back-end bits, but we'd love to be proven wrong.

We're sure you'd love for us to be proven wrong too, and honestly we're interested in how you want us to be proven wrong. At this point, webOS 3.0 is over a year old, and even at that time it was lacking in some feature areas. Sure, all of the big features were covered, but there were a bunch of small holes in need of filling. Since then those holes have grown substantially as competing operating systems have surged ahead on the features count.

So, webOS Nation, what do you want in Open webOS? "

What features do you want Open webOS to "borrow" from the competition? | webOS Nation
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/14/2012, 04:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Split keyboard layout
Old 08/18/2012, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

I also want support for any WiFi printer! Would be sooo nice
Old 08/18/2012, 05:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
I also want support for any WiFi printer! Would be sooo nice
That is a hard one for HP
Old 08/18/2012, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
That is a hard one for HP
I saw a fancy printer at the store, and it had a demo running. There was my Pre 2, helping advertise mobile printing.
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/18/2012, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
I saw a fancy printer at the store, and it had a demo running. There was my Pre 2, helping advertise mobile printing.
Do you remember the printer brand? Is good to know that.
Old 08/18/2012, 11:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rnp

Okay... let's gonna be serious:

=> PC Client (Palm / Palm Desktop & Hotsync) - The Apple has copied the Palm two times: the Hotsync and the iCloud. (didn't copy the Palm Desktop). Everything that I know is that the people really like to use the PC or Notebook do edit his informations, and the Palm Desktop was close to perfect. The ONLY failure in Palm Desktop was sync with EAS.

=> Internet Full Sync (Apple / iCloud) - This was the first thing that the HP has showed. Where is the full sync? The Apple has copied this idea and used first. For other side, I cannot have the same profile in two phones today. Wow! This is very, very bad! Where is the option to access and edit my informations in Palm Profile? Where is the pictures & video sync? The Google; for example, is a *****: is trying to ignore the desktop and; for this, never gonna be so strong.

=> Remote Install (Google / Android) & Internet Full Sync (Apple / iCloud) - There was a service that I used and loved that was called "audio galaxy"! Wow! Was really the FIRST cloud services that I saw: you install the client in your desktop that scan your musics, share with the internet server and you use the website to find any music in that P2P network. After find, only choice transfer, and the client in your home download the music. Putz! In the cloud age, install from any brownser is an excellent option: I can visit the "enyostore", choice the music, movie, app, book, etc... buy and; in same moment, this product is in my cloud storage, can be transfered do my desk, to my tablet and to my phone. And more important: from a website in any device (smart, tablet, netbook, note, desk... any?).

=> Office Suite (Palm / Documents To Go) - Where is the simplest office suite that was in the Palm OS? Was VERY simple: touch, open, edit, write, save. Ok, I have this other options and is very different, is not so simple...

=> PC Client Phone Manager (Nokia / PC Suite) - I really like to manage my personal informations in the phone, and the Nokia PC Suite works very well in this case. I would like to backup my SMS, MMS and call log and transfer to other phones directly, and more: edit this informations using the PC. Why not?

=> Bluetooth Full Services (Nokia / Bluetooth Profiles) - Serious... use my phone / tablet as a Bluetooth modem use less energy that Wifi router, send and receive files using Bluetooth, A2DP with any wireless earphone, manage my files in PC using the smartphone and vice versa... only me?

=> Cameraphone (Nokia / N8 & Pureview) - So... why not? Have a powercamera is an excellent idea! If you don't like photos or videos, you have no kids in home, believe me...

=> Extended Batery (Motorola / Razr Maxx) - The Moto Maxx is exactly the same Razr with an extend battery... why not insert a big battery in my phone? Just need adapt some thing, but no so much...

=> Faster Boot (Google / Android) - Each time that have to reset my Phone, one part inside me go to limbo... can lost less time?

=> Smooth Interface (Apple / iOS) - why don't give the priority to process the interface, the same way that works in iOS?

Best Regards...
Liked by akitayo likes this.
Old 08/18/2012, 11:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
An OEM that builds phones.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9 likes this.
Old 08/19/2012, 01:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
An OEM that builds phones.
There will be OEMs to pick up webOS Open for phones for sure.
Old 08/19/2012, 08:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Do you remember the printer brand? Is good to know that.
What do you think?
They were all HasProblems-brand printers!
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/19/2012, 09:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
What do you think?
They were all HasProblems-brand printers!
lol
Old 08/19/2012, 11:39 AM   #12 (permalink)

Open-webOs is gonna be so awesome
Old 08/21/2012, 02:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

I don't know if any other phone has it but I really want to see a feature where you can export learned words and then re import them. Or import an entire dictionary. It is really frustrating to know that if I need to doctor my phone or to wipe the memory I need to start all over again.
The option to back up learned words is included in saverestore app but not the option to actually restore it again. This needs to be simple, and I think it is an essential thing to be able to do.
Please let openwebos come to rescue.
beca is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 08/30/2012, 02:26 AM   #14 (permalink)

features that i believe would be of use and differentiate openwebos.

1. Go back to the roots of Palm
- Full desktop capability- that sync with my profile. Enables me to manage my calender, appointments, notes, MP3.
- they should allow hooks for the MP3 catalog to hook up to amazon whisper etc, so that 3rd party can do up the hook.

2. Desktop to Palm device folder sync - similar to dropbox etc. (maybe this is redundant, but there are times I would just want to dump a file into a folder in my desktop and let the phone autosync without going to storage mode.

3. Virtual graffiti - I always believed that graffiti ( or some reiteration of graffiti ) is MUCH much faster then the virtual keyboard especially in note taking. Now even with the keyboard it's ok for SMSs but if you want the webos to be like a note taker, the keyboard really is still too slow; unless it's a physical keyboard (PC keyboard). Even the so called writing recog capability of android / MS leaves much to be desired. Palm's graffiti was easy to use, maybe a bit of a learning curve initially - but really good for note taking.

4. Have a tool which enables a person to use his phone for capturing various data at the same time - or enable some form of data /media linking (mindmapping concept)
E.g note taking, then i take a picture (can put a comment), or take a video and attach it together like a mind map, and I can later upload it as a set of linked files into a format that is easy to understand.

5. Bring back my Palm memopad lol... simple easy and I can download it for a real MS document later.
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by akitayo likes this.
Old 09/09/2012, 04:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

I will like to see "native support for folders" on WebOS operating system (everyone else has that, why not for WebOS). Just simply drag an app shortcuts on top of one another to create custom folders and help beat back scrolling on the home screen launcher mess and clutter.

Better browser for WebOS, than what we have: Its impossible to believe that HP could not come up with a better OS for browsing performance than the competition. We all know that HP are a bunch of stupid individuals that apparently don't know on how to run a company, let alone an WebOS operating system. However, its amazing to see Blackberry browser that scored in HTML 5 support 393 with 9 bonus points(using OS 2.1.0.840) and WebOS browser score are poor. Also Flash Player 11.2 support Please !!!!!

More chat protocols within the messaging application: I would like to see video support for Google Plus, a Facebook messenger, maybe Myspace messenger(yes people still use Myspace ), MSN Live support among others.

Voice-Control search (like Google's or Apple's Siri): The ability to type or speak vocal commands at the top of the search bar on the WebOS home screen will be amazing. Image to search the web, open apps, get update of weather or Facebook with simple voice commands.
Old 09/09/2012, 04:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I will like to see "native support for folders" on WebOS operating system (everyone else has that, why not for WebOS). Just simply drag an app shortcuts on top of one another to create custom folders and help beat back scrolling on the home screen launcher mess and clutter.

Better browser for WebOS, than what we have: Its impossible to believe that HP could not come up with a better OS for browsing performance than the competition. We all know that HP are a bunch of stupid individuals that apparently don't know on how to run a company, let alone an WebOS operating system. However, its amazing to see Blackberry browser that scored in HTML 5 support 393 with 9 bonus points(using OS 2.1.0.840) and WebOS browser score are poor. [I]Also Flash Player 11.2 support Please !!!!!

More chat protocols within the messaging application: I would like to see video support for Google Plus, a Facebook messenger, maybe Myspace messenger(yes people still use Myspace ), MSN Live support among others.

Voice-Control search (like Google's or Apple's Siri): The ability to type or speak vocal commands at the top of the search bar on the WebOS home screen will be amazing. Image to search the web, open apps, get update of weather or Facebook with simple voice commands.
There's a patch available that gives more account to synergy messaging. Just search on this forum and you'll find it (too lazy to search for you, sorry :P)
Old 09/10/2012, 09:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post

Better browser for WebOS, than what we have: Its impossible to believe that HP could not come up with a better OS for browsing performance than the competition. We all know that HP are a bunch of stupid individuals that apparently don't know on how to run a company, let alone an WebOS operating system. However, its amazing to see Blackberry browser that scored in HTML 5 support 393 with 9 bonus points(using OS 2.1.0.840) and WebOS browser score are poor. Also Flash Player 11.2 support Please !!!!!

Good suggestions you made. Primarily I want a better browser since that means I don't miss apps. Most websites work but some complicated ones don't.
I don't care about voice commands right now. It's almost ready for prime time but seems gimmicky still to me. The native support for folders is not critical for me. Having separate category pages is fine. I have an iphone (besides my primary Pre 2) and iOS folders actually slow me down since I have to remember which app is in the folder. In terms of apps, of course more for weboS would be welcome but I actually don't miss alot. (I've never bothered to download lots of apps on my iphone 4 which has tons)
More speed, stability, and synergy linkages to important services is critical. (webos does a good job with facebook. Add native twitter support and whatever is "hot" right now. )
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2012, 09:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

Calendar, calendar, calendar. I have always hated WebOS calendar and its my most used app.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2012, 12:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

use Ubercalendar and google sync behavious patch. But in case of speed the calendar could really be better, so i vote for 'buttery smooth UI' as what should be borrowed. And for more go to the webos wishlist.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2012, 12:57 AM   #20 (permalink)

Active notifications on lock screen, better browser, better memory handling. Also maybe notification badges.

And in home brew department, option to enable/disable patch like in cydia.

Last edited by chalx; 09/11/2012 at 01:02 AM.
chalx is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0