webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open webOS, included apps in Enyo2?
Open webOS, included apps in Enyo2?
Like Tree6Likes

Old 08/09/2012, 01:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I have been wondering this after reading that there is so much performance improvement in Enyo 2 v.s. Enyo 1...

Will Open webOS contain Enyo 2 versions of the "stock" apps like phone, email etc?
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/2012, 04:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

At the moment, the open source code only includes versions of the apps in Enyo 1. I don't know if anyone has actually run a comparison on them to see if they are changed in any way from what is currently loaded on our devices.

It would surprise me, if this is going anywhere, if Enyo 2 was not a target for all future work, though.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by fxspec06 likes this.
Old 08/09/2012, 07:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I read that one of the devs here wrote an Enyo 2 version of his app and compared the performance to the Enyo 1 version, that's why I'm curious. Since we're often complaining about the lag of some of the apps I can imagine that they would benefit of using Enyo 2 instead of Enyo 1?
Old 08/11/2012, 03:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

core-apps - README.md on Github

"Note: This release is provided for informational purposes only."

My guess would be that it's so we can figure out the OWO core app service stuff without HP having to finish enyo2 core apps (if indeed there will be such things) first.
Old 08/11/2012, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

the core apps that have already been open sourced are definitely ENYO 1. I've not seen anything to indicate that 2 runs much faster. I wouldn't be surprised if was slower as they have to handle lots of different browsers.
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/11/2012, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagster View Post
the core apps that have already been open sourced are definitely ENYO 1. I've not seen anything to indicate that 2 runs much faster. I wouldn't be surprised if was slower as they have to handle lots of different browsers.
Comparing Enyo1 and Enyo2 side-by side in Safari (Stylematters vs Onyx Sampler), Enyo2 wins hands-down in terms of responsiveness.

Also, Enyo2 apps load faster and are noticeably more responsive on both my Pre3 and TP. They also seem to change orientation much faster than Enyo1 apps.
Thanked by fxspec06, hagster, Vistaus
Old 08/12/2012, 03:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

@Shifty: Are you talking about the samples on the TP and Pre 3? 'Cause AFAIK the samples are the only Enyo2 apps atm.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2012, 04:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

No, there are some Enyo 2 apps that are available in the catalog. I'm not sure which ones. I'm pretty sure that fxspec's most recent apps are, there's a handful of others.

I don't really notice much difference speedwise, from my initial poking at it, except that the scrolling is definitely different in Enyo 2. It's quite better on non-TouchPad devices with Enyo 2 vs 1, but in webOS, Enyo 1 scrolling is quite smooth and Enyo 2 is just as smooth, but just.. different. like they used different numbers for the various maths.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 08/12/2012, 05:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I've been converting WiFi File Sharing to enyo2 and mucking about developing with it in general, which is how I've come to notice these things.
Old 08/12/2012, 12:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I'm currently working on a super top secret enyo 1 to enyo 2 conversion of a super top secret project, and the performance comparison is hands down no contest. Enyo 2 beats the snot out of Enyo 1

fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2012, 11:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I suppose that depends on what controls you're using, and what you're putting inside them

OK, what's the secret?
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 08/13/2012, 08:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
I suppose that depends on what controls you're using, and what you're putting inside them

OK, what's the secret?
That information is extremely sensitive material, highly classified.

I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you

Old 08/25/2012, 01:05 AM   #13 (permalink)

Guys , at today no dates released for a keynote to present OpenwebOS 1.0 to the public , it is been announced for september.

There are news from someone ?????

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus con Tapatalk 2

Last edited by wolfgart; 08/25/2012 at 02:02 AM.
wolfgart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2012, 01:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgart View Post
Guys , at today no dates released for a keynote to present OpenwebOS 1.0 to the public , it is been announced for semptember.

There are news from someone ?????

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus con Tapatalk 2
I think we first have to see the beta being released this month. Then based on testing and feedback the release date will be made final. Seeing the other releases were always on the last day of the month, I expect the beta to be available next Friday.

I would suspect the final 1.0 version to be available probably on September 28, but that's just a gut feeling.
Liked by ShiftyAxel and fxspec06 like this.
Old 08/25/2012, 04:03 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
I think we first have to see the beta being released this month. Then based on testing and feedback the release date will be made final. Seeing the other releases were always on the last day of the month, I expect the beta to be available next Friday.

I would suspect the final 1.0 version to be available probably on September 28, but that's just a gut feeling.
The very last day of the month....sounds about right. If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing would get done.
Old 08/25/2012, 04:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

It's 2am on Saturday morning over on the west coast of the US, and mbessey is up working on Ares at the moment. My guess is that it's crunch time.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover and fxspec06 like this.
Old 08/26/2012, 07:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

They should come out with OpenWebOS bta now. I mean, a lot of people on here were constantly saying how they were on schedule and stuff so they should be able to make the deadline for the bta.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2012, 10:40 AM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
They should come out with OpenWebOS bta now. I mean, a lot of people on here were constantly saying how they were on schedule and stuff so they should be able to make the deadline for the bta.
It's probably not ready yet..........

Old 08/29/2012, 09:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
cgk

What was the announced date? End of August for the beta?
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2012, 09:44 AM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
What was the announced date? End of August for the beta?
Just 'August', but the trend has been releasing late in the month thus far.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0